Group of 15 - mostly first timers. Advice please

qv09vvp

Disney or Bust
I knew this was going to be a challenge, but I guess I had more faith in my own planning skills!

Open to suggestions of any kind!

We will be roughly 14 adults and 1 child. This should be easy right?

The villas are booked ..yeah dvc!

Besides my immediate family of 4, everyone else needs to do their own plane, transportation park tickets.

At this point, I've asked them to do their MDE accounts so I can link them to their resort reservations. Response has been slow.... And not going to lie, I'm disappointed.

If you've been in this boat or not I would appreciate some advice.

It's not often that large groups stay together all the time although it does happen. Different touring styles, ideas of time to get up in the morning on vacation, etc can be a challenge.
Id let them know your daily park plans and let them know they are more than welcome to join you. Let them know about park ressies and maybe let them know one more time about MDE accounts. Perhaps plan on meeting up for one meal a day. Some days you may all be together and some days you may not. But dont' stress it.
You don't mention the age of the child. If they are young flexibility is the key as they may well burn out before others.
Actually, flexibility is really the key to everything. Have a great time!!

Agree with the PP - pick a park to start at together and or end together and maybe a meal or two as an entire group or various groups depending on tastes and touring styles.

Just back from a trip with 3 families of various sizes 16 altogether. One of the larger families with parents, kids and their SO's had a villa at boardwalk, my dd's and I were also at boardwalk in a traditional room and my sil was at AOA just a Skyliner away.

We all agreed on the starting park each day and met at the park. We planned two dinners as a group then smaller groups for other breakfasts and lunches, most times on the fly. It is hard to get everyone onboard, not everyone understands how hard it is to make adr's and or get a meal on the spot for a small party never mind a group! There was alot of splitting into smaller groups for rides and shows and it worked out really well as everyone tried to stay flexible.

If you can get together to see what everyone's expectations are and any "must do" restaurants that would be a good start.

Please don’t end up being the Disney point person for the entire group. If they are not motivated to get the app and get an account NOT your problem. For sure don’t try to do do Genie+, ILL’s by yourself for the group. If none of them are willing to get with the program & become proficient that’s on them. Seriously, any adult can become proficient at the in & outs of using MDE, etc…. I’m a senior and I had no problem with it last year. DD and I shared “booking” duties.

I knew this was going to be a challenge, but I guess I had more faith in my own planning skills!

Besides my immediate family of 4, everyone else needs to do their own plane, transportation park tickets.

At this point, I've asked them to do their MDE accounts so I can link them to their resort reservations. Response has been slow.... And not going to lie, I'm disappointed.

Awww OP, I feel you, and I'm sorry that you feel disappointed. I'm a detailed planner and I've planned lots of Disney trips over the years. Now that our kids are grown, a lot of the time it's just my husband and I, but we've also done a bunch of trips with large groups. First timers just don't understand what goes into planning a Disney World trip. Like you, the first time I organized a large trip including mostly first timers I was disappointed too. I felt like I was constantly bothering everyone by asking them to make choices and it took so much effort to get input. Now, when I plan trips with anyone I use one of two approaches depending on who I'm dealing with.

One approach is very hands off. I make sure that I am very clear with everyone that if they don't pay attention to booking windows they will not be able to do the things they want to do. I often give the adults a copy of the current "Unofficial Guide" and I hope they at least browse it. I will try to have a planning meeting all together, but I go into it knowing it probably won't be productive. Then I back off and make my own daily plans, in detail for each day. I then send a copy of my written plans to everyone with a note saying that they are welcome to join me for any portion or for all of it, but if they expect me to include them on any reservations I need a clear response before my booking day. Then I leave it up to each person from there, and I don't allow myself to feel responsible for anyone else's vacation.

Approach number two is pretty much the opposite. I make sure that everyone is serious about going so that I don't waste any time or money and I ask for a list of any must dos by a certain deadline. Then I plan the trip, every aspect of the trip, without more input. The week before the trip I send everyone a packing list. The day before we arrive, everyone gets an emailed itinerary for day one. Each evening of the trip everyone gets a printed copy of the next day's plans.

Both of these approaches have worked for us. Which one I pick depends on the people I'm traveling with but both allow me to set my own boundaries, enjoy my own trip, and let go of the constant worry that everyone isn't having the perfect vacation. That's on them, not me.

I do have one child that likes to plan as much as I do. When we travel together, he and I plan 50/50. That's ideal and we have great trips together. Most people just don't get it though and no matter how much effort you put into extracting information and commitments from them, it's not going to happen.

Good luck, and try not to put too much pressure on yourself.

Don’t try to do everything together. Make your own plans and invite others along. They can accept or decline. If you’re making ADRs same thing. Before you make your ADRs twll people what you’re planning and see if anyone is interested in joining. If it’s something you have to prepay then have them Venmo the cash to you. We’ve done several trips to WDW with family and this is the best approach. You will never get everyone to agree to the same schedule or to eating at all the same places.

We do an extended family trip every year, but I book everything. I actually created all of their mde accounts as well lol. I made all the passwords the same so it was easier on me and then I do basically everything. One of the other moms will get on their account occasionally and tweak things if needed, but for the most part the others only ever get on to find out info. We do most (not all) things together so they kinda just go with the flow. I. always ask them ahead of time of things/places they want to eat so I can make adrs. I also send them an itinerary before we leave. - Always start with a rough draft itinerary before I start booking things, but only the 1 mom ever really responds or has opinions and I adjust accordingly. If we do fastpasses I do them together for the most part.

They have all given me their credit card numbers, so I just book as needed. They take care of their own air and transportation travel, but again we do discuss what the others are doing.

Don’t try to do everything together. Make your own plans and invite others along.

I agree and there are several older threads on this topic. Every family has their own idea of how to enjoy Disney. Some want to get up early to race off to a park, others like to sleep in on vacation and have a more leasurely approach. Some want to do a lot of rides, while others may want to take in shows, sightsee, shop or just walk around. Some may prefer relaxing at the pool to spending all day at a park. Expecting any large group to ALL have the same interests/budget/schedule/preferences is a mistake. Even where you stay can be a challenge since everyone probably doesn't have the same budget or resort preferences. It would also be a mistake to all show up at the first park on your first day and then suddenly realize everyone has a different idea of where to go and what to do next.

The adults should discuss things ahead of time before you leave home. Maybe plan a meal or two where everyone can be together. I doubt everyone just wants to follow the leader of the group doing the things that person likes to do. Multi-family vacations can be a challenge no matter where you go. Even if you all plan to eat at the same restaurant you still won't be able to all talk with each other no matter how the tables are arranged for a group that large.

Very good advice from all. I think I need to caveat that my husband and I are providing the rooms for all using our dvc contract so the resort is booked already. multiple rooms with enough room to spread out. we have been saving our points for this trip to bring the extended family. That being said, I think we have been very clear (in writing, saying it) multiple times that WE will be doing our thing & everyone else is to make the trip whatever they want... I have not planned any "group" activities because frankly the just trying to get MDE setup was suprising to me. I think I just have the fear of getting down to the say the dining reservations 60 + days out... making them..and then the day of, family thinking they can come along. Also, I hear what ya'll are saying about large groups and booking stuff..

good suggestions on here... I like the daily itinerary.. thank you -please keep them coming!

I have been in this boat and have found it not to be easy but a fun challenge for me as I consider myself rather savvy at all of this.
I would say best advice- have all accounts linked, don’t be afraid to split up, and pre-plan some meals all together.

Slow response might be a thing where some think the “obsessive coordination” is a little much. They don’t get it until they are standing in line for 90 minutes that they should have planned this better and that you were doing them an invaluable service. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. When I have a group that size, our family takes 3 extra days alone at the end.

Keep in mind the following is going to slow you down to a halt:
I’m going to the restroom really quick
I’ll get Starbucks while you do that
I’m going to just dive into the emporium while you do that
Now I need to go to the restroom
Ad Infinitum before you get off main street

I have been in this boat and have found it not to be easy but a fun challenge for me as I consider myself rather savvy at all of this.
I would say best advice- have all accounts linked, don’t be afraid to split up, and pre-plan some meals all together.

Slow response might be a thing where some think the “obsessive coordination” is a little much. They don’t get it until they are standing in line for 90 minutes that they should have planned this better and that you were doing them an invaluable service. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. When I have a group that size, our family takes 3 extra days alone at the end.

Keep in mind the following is going to slow you down to a halt:
I’m going to the restroom really quick
I’ll get Starbucks while you do that
I’m going to just dive into the emporium while you do that
Now I need to go to the restroom
Ad Infinitum before you get off main street
I didn't know whether to give this the HAHA or the LOVE EYES!
Good post!
My hubs and I also take several days by ourselves after group trips.

I'd try to pinpoint at least a basic understanding of the goals for each group. Is there something each of them is trying to accomplish? This also goes for what park tickets people are buying. How many days and whether park hoppers will be add is pretty important for knowing plans with that many people.

You can pick a park to start with but what if that's not the park one group wants to go with and if so and so doesn't have park hoppers then they can't meet up later even for food if it's in a different park.

Sticking to QS for meals would be much easier. It also gives that flexibility for if someone is off doing their thing or someone isn't completely hungry then they can go break off or just join in on family time and eat later. You're not regimented to a set schedule this way. You could save a meal or two that is just for you and your family and let the others know they are on their own for that meal or two. Unless you're 100% transparent that you don't plan on working together for joint ADRs and can handle when the likely outcome is complaining about food decisions I wouldn't plan many of planned ADRs for you or your group.

If this is a family trip even if they are wishy washy that QS dining is going to allow for that less stress on planning. No rushing to make that ADR, someone is slowing so and so down, someone is not feeling that kind of food that you made the ADR for, etc. I may not always have that advice if it's a smaller group but 14 adults is a lot to coordinate and in a theme park environment where hunger takes on different timing where you may have rides you're needing to get to, shows to watch or parades to watch it's hard to corral that large to that.

I'd prepare them for the sheer amount of walking they'll be doing and depending on when you're going the normal weather (be it hotter than the sun or potential rain outs).

Communication is going to be really important and maintaining that during the trip. Maybe set up a group chat to be used while you're there. We use Google Chat for our DISer group and that comes in handy a lot for when we're out with each other. We used it last year when we all could be there in Disney together for a wedding. If you don't want too many people on the chat have each group delegate a point person and just have them invited.

I'd give the advice that they should be going onto Disney's website to familiarize themselves with rides and shows and parades but you may not get that if they are slow on creating an MDE account (which requires going onto the website lol).

Good post!
I planned a few days before our next upcoming trip and extra days after the trip because I was so burnt out last year after a week with a 4 and 5 yo in the same unit, and they will be bringing a family with a baby and 2 yo next time too! Grandma needs some alone Disney time too with our own 1 bd.

I planned a few days before our next upcoming trip and extra days after the trip because I was so burnt out last year after a week with a 4 and 5 yo in the same unit, and they will be bringing a family with a baby and 2 yo next time too! Grandma needs some alone Disney time too with our own 1 bd.
Oh yes she does!

Large groups can be tough. The first thing I always do when planning a trip for a larger group is get a gauge of how everyone wants to approach it. I have literally sent surveys lol. But when you're dealing with a lot of different people, it helps to know everyone's priorities, as well as how they want to vacation. Do they want to sleep in? Rope drop? Afternoon breaks? How do they feel about character dining or sit-down meals in general? How much together-time does everyone feel is appropriate?

So I gather this information and then I put together a group itinerary based on what I've learned, ask for feedback, and adjust accordingly. But MOST IMPORTANTLY I make sure everyone knows it's just an OPTION. I never expect that we are all going to be together all the time, or that everyone is going to follow the schedule I made up. But I also cannot be tasked with making an individual itinerary for every person/family we are traveling with. So I tell them they have the OPTION of sticking with the itinerary I'm making for myself and my nuclear family, and they are absolutely welcome to join us in whatever we are doing - but that there are no hard feelings if they would rather strike out on their own, but that if they want to do their own thing they will need to *make their own plans.*

Beyond that, there are a few challenges to planning for large groups. One is dining reservations. Most restaurants will not take reservations for a party that large (some do, though, and there are lists of those out there, just google for the info), so you will need to be prepared to split up. What we've done in the past is make two reservations at the same time at the same restaurant. It's not a perfect solution but it's really the best you can do.

Also, I have found Genie+ to be a little difficult (but not impossible) to manage with groups. I have always just told everyone to pay for their Genie+ by 7am so we can start planning together. I do not think you can manage that many people in ONE Genie+ reservation though, so you might need to recruit a second person to manage half of the people in your party. You'll have to do some finagling to get LL's that overlap on times so that you can ride together, but it's not too hard. For ILL's, I'm not sure how hard it is for everyone to get the same time if you book separately. Usually the night before an ILL, I will take roll call of who wants to ride say, ROTR. Then in the morning I make that ILL for all the people who said yes, and then they all Venmo for the cost. This might not be an issue anymore, but it used to be impossible to even know what ILL time YOU would get, let alone trying to sync up with others booking separately. The process seemed a lot easier on our past trip, but it wasn't a group trip so I didn't have any reason to test that out.

They are going to need to do this at some point because they have to link their tickets and make park reservations. Disney is not very conducive to big groups. What I would do is to write an email outlining what each family needs to have done in order to get into the parks. Tell them what your plans are and how much time you are willing to do things together as a group. Maybe spend a half a day at the parks as a group then everyone goes out on their own, or meet up for dinner, etc.
It is not worth the hassle and aggravation to try to get everyone to cooperate.

Good post!
We usually go just our family of 5 but I spend too much time regaling extended family with yarns of our short wait times and sophisticated touring plans.
But I’ve got them all trained at this point to NOT say- “Why don’t we just go on Peter Pan now? It’s right here.” 🙄 😂

Since OP indicated the accommodations are already handled, that is one less thing to plan. For those visiting Disney for the first time there are some obvious things to make them aware of. Everyone needs to make park reservations ahead of time (if your trip is prior to when that policy changes) and also buy their park tickets (decide on park hopper vs. not). You can no longer buy Genie options ahead of time so that is something you can only do on that specific day while at Disney. Disney property is HUGE and first-time visitors may not grasp how large/crowded it will be. No amount of advance planning is going to make any park less crowded. I would let each family make their own plans so you don't end up being the travel planner and spend all of YOUR vacation time setting up itineraries for everyone else. If you let each family enjoy Disney is the way that works best for them is what I would recommend in general.

Last edited:
Since OP indicated the accommodations are already handled, that is one less thing to plan. For those visiting Disney for the first time there are some obvious things to make them aware of. Everyone needs to make park reservations ahead of time (if your trip is prior to when that policy changes) and also buy their park tickets (decide on park hopper vs. not). You can no longer buy Genie options ahead of time so that is something you can only do on that specific day while at Disney. Disney property is HUGE and first-time visitors may not grasp how large/crowded it will be. No amount of advance planning is going to make any park less crowded. I would let each family make their own plans so you don't end up being the travel planner and spend all of YOUR vacation time setting up itineraries for everyone else. If you let each family enjoy Disney is the way that works best for them is what I would recommend in general.
That is the first thing that I tell those new to WDW when they ask for advice, that the property is HUGE. I give them approximate drive times and how far away things are from each other. I show them on Google maps so that they get an idea of the size and scope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter