Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't get it. Is it going to be a thrill ride?
To me it sounded like you get in a vehicle (maybe the existing ride vehicles and track?) and you go on a Mickey-Themed "dark ride" heavily utilizing screens to make it seem 3-D. Sounds like an overlay basically without using animatronics. I get the impression you essentially are "pulled in" into a the story of a unique animated short with the art/style of these new Mickey Mouse shorts. Since they are trying to emulate a 2-D animated cartoon, thus the use of screens and the concept of "2 1/2 D"

So . .it sounds like you ride through the ride with digital screens all around you to "pull" you into the action. I am guessing it may involve some bumps and turns and stuff to add a little more thrill to it, but I don't expect it to be a thrill ride any more than the Spiderman ride at Universal is.

I didn't think they would change any more DHS attractions until at least Toy Story Land was open. Down a Tier 1 ride at DHS is going to hurt the capacity there big time. No amount of shows or special fireworks will help disperse the crowds. You'll see long lines at every ride there .. even on a "slow" day (or people will just begin to avoid this park alltogether until late 2018.

I am surprised we didn't get some announcement on the overall future vision of DHS. Will the name of the park change? What about the last remaining "making of movies" attraction (Indiana Jones stunt show)? What will happen with Star Wars Launch Bay and Star Tours as those are well outside the immersive Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge land?

It should be family oriented but also be a lot of fun.

When I think family and fun my mind goes to rides like Soarin, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash, Toy Story Mania. Great experiences that I'm sure we all do but can appeal to most families. Give us that.

I am surprised we didn't get some announcement on the overall future vision of DHS. Will the name of the park change? What about the last remaining "making of movies" attraction (Indiana Jones stunt show)? What will happen with Star Wars Launch Bay and Star Tours as those are well outside the immersive Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge land?
The Launch Bay is but Star Tours is not. That's right there near SWL

When I think family and fun my mind goes to rides like Soarin, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash, Toy Story Mania. Great experiences that I'm sure we all do but can appeal to most families. Give us that.
That's what I would expect out of this then.

The Launch Bay is but Star Tours is not. That's right there near SWL
It is "near" .. but there is Muppet's Courtyard between Star Wars Land and Star Tours .. I still don't see how Star Tours will stay as an attraction that has an AT-AT "movie prop" with an immersive land a short walk away.

Long story short is we have no idea what will be happening to the whole Echo Lake area or how much of the "old Hollywood" theme of the front half of the park will remain in the long term.

It is "near" .. but there is Muppet's Courtyard between Star Wars Land and Star Tours .. I still don't see how Star Tours will stay as an attraction that has an AT-AT "movie prop" with an immersive land a short walk away.

Long story short is we have no idea what will be happening to the whole Echo Lake area or how much of the "old Hollywood" theme of the front half of the park will remain in the long term.
I'm going to guess zero

No the front half of the park will remain old Hollywood-ish. They are keeping the GMR facade after all.

No info from a CM, or rumor anywhere...BUT, just a thought, since we know limited details, who's to say that entrance to this ride actually has to be at the current GMR entrance? With TSL opening next summer, and this ride opening in 2019, I wonder if the entrance is actually more in the area of Pixar Place? The assumption is that area would be closed off in the future anyways?
I guess it's still more than likely going to keep the same entrance since the movie will "put you into shorts", but I kinda thought maybe they could just turn the Chinese Theater into a meet and greet area instead?
:scratchin

No info from a CM, or rumor anywhere...BUT, just a thought, since we know limited details, who's to say that entrance to this ride actually has to be at the current GMR entrance? With TSL opening next summer, and this ride opening in 2019, I wonder if the entrance is actually more in the area of Pixar Place? The assumption is that area would be closed off in the future anyways?
I guess it's still more than likely going to keep the same entrance since the movie will "put you into shorts", but I kinda thought maybe they could just turn the Chinese Theater into a meet and greet area instead?
:scratchin
I don't see why the entrance would change. It is supposed to use the same queuing areas.

I am very excited to see this new technology. The tiny little demo they showed did make it look 3D on the screens and he (can't remember the presenter's name :headache:) said that was a very early prototype. If think they are taking the projection technology one (or even two) steps further.

I am so sad about GMR closing. :( I think the Mickey and Minnie ride is a cute idea but I wish it was going into a different space. If I'd have known GMR was closing so soon, I would have ridden it back in April.

My understanding of 2-1/2 D is the multi-layered screen concept used for Navi River Journey but more advanced.

Any chance they are going to combine the multi layer screens with projection mapping? After seeing all of the mapping being done lately, it could help with depth of field and immersion. It will be interesting to see what they ultimately create!

No the front half of the park will remain old Hollywood-ish. They are keeping the GMR facade after all.

Thank God, I've always felt this part of the DHS was among the most well presented themes in any Disney park I've been to and I would be heartbroken if they lost that. The feeling when you walk it with the architecture, music, signs, street performers, and feel is just so exciting and so well done.

Here's my 2 cents on 2 & 1/2 D:

Having watched the test scene several times, it seems like it's a mix of moving set pieces and screens/projection mapping. I can't really tell which is which in this particular scene.

At the beginning, it looks like the cartoon Mickey reaches to his left (your right) and his hands extend past the edge of the screen into the real world. When the set flips to the new colors, I can't tell which is just moving set pieces and which is only a changing video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter