Grand Canyon/Flagstaff

gatorfreud

DIS Veteran
Hi all:

So... I am trying to figure out my christmas break plan, and of course want it to include disneyland!

Thinking about a few days at Big Bear Lake (been before, loved it) for skiing... then about 5-6 days to kill before I would want to get to Disney...

Toying with a couple days in Vegas (I think I could amuse the kids there for a day or day and a half?)... then maybe over to see the grand canyon, we have never been. Wondering how it is in the winter... and if we should stay there - or maybe stay in Flagstaff, and then take that train tour to the GC, and also see meteor crater, other national park stuff near there...

Then drive over to DLR from there - isn;t that route 66 somewhere in there? Take route 66 to our first time at carsland!?

OK so... help? Am I insane? What is winter like in Flagstaff and Grand Canyon (south rim).???

Thanks!!
Kim

December is a bit iffy in the north country. It could be very cold and snowy or nice and dry.

Grand Canyon is definitely beautiful with the snow. You would definitely have to visit the South Rim as the North Rim is closed in December. The South Rim is about a 2 hour drive from Flagstaff, depending on weather it could be a bit treacherous. If you want to stay, I would recommend staying at the canyon. There are several options within the canyon or outside the entrance.

The train tour to the Grand Canyon is actually out of Williams, about 30 minutes west of Flagstaff on I-40.

Some of I-40 overlaps Route 66 within Flagstaff and on your way out to Meteor Crater.

I have been to Grand Canyon in December and April and would highly recommend either time of the year. In fact, if you hike to the bottom and stay at Phantom Ranch December is without a doubt the best time to go.

However, if you are just touring the rim, which is also a lot of fun, I would plan on spending one night at the Grand Canyon. The south rim is about a 4 hour drive from Vegas and other than Hoover Damn there is not a lot see on the drive. So drive over in the morning. Spend ½ day looking at the Canyon. Then spend the night at a Grand Canyon lodge if you can get one or at one of the hotels right outside the gate and then spend the majority of the next day at the Grand Canyon and then head back to Vegas that night. I would avoid Flagstaff because it is still a hike to Canyon from there and you will be wasting time.

As for your time in Vegas with the kids, when we went we landed at noon and drove out the next morning and that was more than enough time for me, my wife and at the time our 7 year old. He really liked Circus, Circus but it is a total dump.

Thanks!! I am worried about the weather in December. We will definitely not hike to the bottom - but I wouldn't mind hiking in just a bit. But if we don't I won;t be too upset. How treacherous does the drive in get in the winter? I am also afraid of the fog or whatever that will obstruct the view.

Now I am thinking about the last weekend in March...

So many choices!

Kim

Thanks!! I am worried about the weather in December. We will definitely not hike to the bottom - but I wouldn't mind hiking in just a bit. But if we don't I won;t be too upset. How treacherous does the drive in get in the winter? I am also afraid of the fog or whatever that will obstruct the view.

Now I am thinking about the last weekend in March...

So many choices!

Kim

I've been to the Grand Canyon and been snowed in at Flagstaff - Interstates closed! Twice! Once, just overnight the week before Christmas and the other time, for two days in April!

Winter weather can be iffy there. Had much better luck in May and September.

I have lived in Flagstaff for 4 years now and December weather can be hit or miss (some years we've had finals cancelled and some years absolutely no snow). It is supposed to be a wet winter though so it can get quite a bit of snow. I-40 has been known to close because of snow but mostly that is to the East (New Mexico) and not to the west (which is how you get to the Grand Canyon). We don't really get fog so visibility because of that is not a big deal its more driving while snowing. If you stay in Williams look to see about the Polar Express. Its the train to the GC but it doesn't go all the way up. They read the story I believe and they serve really good hot chocolate. My mom's students all do it and love it (she teaches 1st grade) looking at your kids age they might enjoy it. It's at night only so it's different than the train to GC. If you want to stay in the park look now cause usually they fill a year or more out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter