Grand Californian Super Thread

I am planning to go to the lounge / bar area of Grand Californian on Tuesday 20 June for some afternoon drinks / chill out time. Im just seeing now about the construction. Should I re do my plans and go somewhere else?

Anyone have experience with Amazon Prime/pantry delivery here? Does GCH charge a per box handling fee?

I had multiple packages delivered on our last trip in 2015 (several from Amazon, some board game stores and vons). No charge for receiving, I just tipped the person who brought them up to the room for me.

Can someone comment on the bedding configurations in the renovated GCH rooms? I think I read ALL rooms with 2 queens will have a day bed?? Is that correct? What about the king rooms? Do they have a day bed, a non-pull-out couch, a pull out couch? On the booking site it still offers bunk beds, but I think those are going away. What about the twin sleeper chair mentioned in some king rooms? Are those going away too?

We are a party of 4 and the kids prefer not to share a bed. I prefer a king for DH and I. So I'm trying to figure our requests if we get a renovated room (going at end of September, so here's hoping). I'd love a king with a twin sleeper chair and a day bed (listed currently as an option) but unsure if that is going away with renovation? Otherwise will ask for two queens and a day bed, but if two queens with NO daybed is an option, I'm assuming we will get that since they'd likely save daybed rooms for parties of 5? Ugh! Help please!

Can someone comment on the bedding configurations in the renovated GCH rooms? I think I read ALL rooms with 2 queens will have a day bed?? Is that correct? What about the king rooms? Do they have a day bed, a non-pull-out couch, a pull out couch? On the booking site it still offers bunk beds, but I think those are going away. What about the twin sleeper chair mentioned in some king rooms? Are those going away too?

We are a party of 4 and the kids prefer not to share a bed. I prefer a king for DH and I. So I'm trying to figure our requests if we get a renovated room (going at end of September, so here's hoping). I'd love a king with a twin sleeper chair and a day bed (listed currently as an option) but unsure if that is going away with renovation? Otherwise will ask for two queens and a day bed, but if two queens with NO daybed is an option, I'm assuming we will get that since they'd likely save daybed rooms for parties of 5? Ugh! Help please!

We were in a renovated room with 2 queen beds this past week, it was just 2 queens and a couch (not a pull out or day bed) and the couch is pretty small. I think wheeling in a day bed in a room with 2 queens already will be a TIGHT fit in those rooms. (As a side note, I'm not sure how GCH does it but when I worked at a resort it was against the fire code to put another bed in a room with 2 beds already!)
I'm honestly not sure if a king bed room will be an option after renovations. All of the renovated rooms we saw on our floor (when the maids were cleaning them and had the doors open) were configured with 2 queens as well and we were never asked at check in if we preferred one or the other. :/
Best suggestion for now will probably be to call like 1-2 weeks before and see if the rooms have an option that can work for you, they'll probably have more information as it gets closer to your check in date.

Some renovation updates: I walked though GCH this past weekend, although did not stay there. Renovation work is being done on the x1xx rooms, the northwest corner of the hotel (shown in red). Renovation is completed in the VGC expansion wing (shown in green). There are likely other completed areas, but I did not search the entire hotel.
gch_renovation.jpg

3rd floor landing on the west end of the lobby, showing work in the northwest corner:
gch_lobby_corner.jpg

DTD view of work on 3rd to 5th floor rooms:
gch_exterior1.jpg
gch_exterior2.jpg

I have a question about booking; I have gc club level standard room and I would like a courtyard room but there's no category for it online. My only choices are standard and theme park. Is there a category of club/courtyard or are they sold out? Tia

Yes, 2 queens.

Can't figure out how to quote two different posts, but I appreciate the feedback on the renovated rooms. I sounds like we will just get what we get. I will put in a request for 2 queens with either a fold down single couch or day bed, and see what happens. Worst case, we have to put the kids in one bed together. Any others who have stayed in renovated GCH rooms (not VGC), could you post your bedding configuration please?

I have a question about booking; I have gc club level standard room and I would like a courtyard room but there's no category for it online. My only choices are standard and theme park. Is there a category of club/courtyard or are they sold out? Tia
Since I have only been to DLR once and stayed at DLH hotel I may be wrong but here is what I think based on my readings AND some of those maps from @Nonsuch .

The CL (non suite) rooms are located on floors 5/6. The rooms are close to the lounge(see his maps on previous page if needed for location of lounge).

I have not ever seen any pix or complaints of people saying they paid a fortune for a cl room and had a bad view.

Therefore my guess is the rooms are upper floor and courtyard, pool views for std and theme park or pool with theme park in distance views for TPV.

Examples:
Rooms x300-322 6 and 5th floor are TPV cl .

Rooms x303-325 would be std Cl.

Look at the maps he made since April and it should help.

It would be nice if we had an actual map of all rooms but unlike WDW this doesn't exist.

Last edited:

I just stayed in a renovated room over the weekend. There were two queen beds, with a small, non sleeper couch. When I inquired about having a pull out, none were available but the cast member led me to believe that more rooms would have them then in the past, once all rooms were renovated.

Since I have only been to DLR once and stayed at DLH hotel I may be wrong but here is what I think based on my readings AND some of those maps from @Nonsuch .

The CL (non suite) rooms are located on floors 5/6. The rooms are close to the lounge(see his maps on previous page if needed for location of lounge).

I have not ever seen any pix or complaints of people saying they paid a fortune for a cl room and had a bad view.

Therefore my guess is the rooms are upper floor and courtyard, pool views for std and theme park or pool with theme park in distance views for TPV.

Examples:
Rooms x300-322 6 and 5th floor are TPV cl .

Rooms x303-325 would be std Cl.

Look at the maps he made since April and it should help.

It would be nice if we had an actual map of all rooms but unlike WDW this doesn't exist.

Not to burst your bubble but this was my Standard Concierge lvl view several years ago. I'm not showing what the view was straight out but lets just say that most of the green I saw from this room was the green pebbles on the roof. This pictures shows the best part:

DSC00384.jpg

Not to burst your bubble but this was my Standard Concierge lvl view several years ago. I'm not showing what the view was straight out but lets just say that most of the green I saw from this room was the green pebbles on the roof. This pictures shows the best part:

DSC00384.jpg
And that's looks like a courtyard view right? I just want quiet and would rather be by courtyard than front of building. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter