Grand Californian Super Thread

I found this video with extensive view of the new rooms. It gets a little chatty in the center but skip to the end to see the 6th floor viewing area .

Sorry it keeps stopping!

Last edited:
so the new refurb bathrooms no longer has bathtubs? only standing showers?
Based on what I have been told and all the renovation photos, there will no longer be bathtubs. Some may exist in a few Handicap Accessible configurations.
Onsite guests that want a bathtub should stay at DLH or PPH.

I'm headed over to the Grand in July before the expo. Anyone know if the DVC studios have or will be refueled to the new style by then?
I know the refurb schedule says the lobby will be worked on at that time but I'm not sure if that has started yet or what stage that will be in.

Based on what I have been told and all the renovation photos, there will no longer be bathtubs. Some may exist in a few Handicap Accessible configurations.
Onsite guests that want a bathtub should stay at DLH or PPH.

thanks for the info! i have 2 little ones and a bathtub is almost a must have.

We are here now and have a renovated room. It does have a bathtub. As to the pools, the cm at check in said 5/15. He told me that's the answer he HAS to give. So I asked him if there's a chance they could open it sooner and he smiled. Chairs and umbrellas are out by the pool and it looks ready to go, but who knows. We are headed over to use the DL pool right now.

Please post some pictures of the bathroom. Once you check-out, also post room number.

Also, we have a couch in the room and it does flip down to make a bed. I think it's a twin size. My daughter, who is 5'11", is sleeping on it. It has a cute Bambi mural on it. I'll try and take pics later.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
We are renting points for our first stay at Disneyland, we are staying in a GCV Studio in September, coming from Australia. What is the sofa bed like, have they been updated? My 8 year old daughter will be sleeping on it. What bedding is provided, will we need extra blankets or can we request them from housekeeping?

Also is it worth paying for the extra housekeeping on check in if we are staying for over 7 days?

Any other tips for us Aussies on getting the most out of being in a DVC Studio (groceries/kitchenware to buy, things to bring)?

Should I ask these questions in another place?

If our owner that we are renting points off is in here, Thank You, I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and so your help in renting us points and getting us a studio got me through the tail end of my treatment and you have given my family such an amazing opportunity to make magical memories.

Also is it worth paying for the extra housekeeping on check in if we are staying for over 7 days?

In my opinion it'd not worth paying extra. You'll get a trash and towel service on day 4 (I think) and a full cleaning on Day 7. Unless you are extra messy or have a need for someone else to make your bed every day, you should be fine. IF the trash is overflowing they give you extra bags and there are trash rooms in the hotel where you can deposit full trashe sacks.

Any other tips for us Aussies on getting the most out of being in a DVC Studio (groceries/kitchenware to buy, things to bring

You will have a toaster, microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker. They also provide plastic utensils, paper plates and napkins. You might even luck out with ceramic mugs, but I haven't stayed in a studio for years so I don't know if that's the case. There will be disposable cups.

I would suggest you bring whatever you like for breakfast, bread, butter, vegemite (if you care for that), yogurt, cereal, that kind of stuff. You might want some snacks for during the day. Depending in how much you plan on eating in the room vs dining out. I've seen threads on the DVC section where folks compare how they have prepared full meals in a studio, from cooking a meal from scratch in the microwave to purchasing a crock pot and fixing dinners in that! It just depends on what you want to put into it.

Congratulations on completing your treatment for breast cancer!

In my opinion it'd not worth paying extra. You'll get a trash and towel service on day 4 (I think) and a full cleaning on Day 7. Unless you are extra messy or have a need for someone else to make your bed every day, you should be fine. IF the trash is overflowing they give you extra bags and there are trash rooms in the hotel where you can deposit full trashe sacks.

If staying 8 or more days, there will be a full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8.

...What is the sofa bed like, have they been updated? My 8 year old daughter will be sleeping on it. What bedding is provided, will we need extra blankets or can we request them from housekeeping?
The new sofa bed (photo from 1-bedroom, but should be the same):
sofa-jpg.209361

The folded bed should already have sheets and blanket, pillows and extra blanket are in the closet -- you could request more if needed.
...Should I ask these questions in another place?
You might want to skim through the VGC Superthread.
I highly recommend making a view request, which must be done by the DVC owner.

We are here now and have a renovated room. It does have a bathtub. As to the pools, the cm at check in said 5/15. He told me that's the answer he HAS to give. So I asked him if there's a chance they could open it sooner and he smiled. Chairs and umbrellas are out by the pool and it looks ready to go, but who knows. We are headed over to use the DL pool right now.
Last year at DLH our pool opened prior to the official time. It was about a week early give or take.

Hope you all had a great pool time :)

Ok I'll be greedy, any chance @Nonsuch has a "which rooms are cl " map? :confused3 :goodvibes

With the understanding cl can be added to the suites no matter where those are and I have that map already .

I'm trying to get a strategy if no pv cl rooms are refurbed. If they have a 1br I could pay more for that and drop cl or switch to std cl if a new room is a available. We arrive after midnight so the cl desk will be closed.

I had such a wonderful trip with dd last year at DLH I want her and her dad to make some memories since we won't be back unless she takes a family of her own someday. He doesn't like the dark rooms and would love the new ones.

He is a pool guy so at least we shoild be in good shape arriving mid June. :thumbsup2

Lastly I take lots of pix so I will get rooms, halls, cl lounge , pool etc. Anybody have a requests? I will try to get them.

Ok I'll be greedy, any chance @Nonsuch has a "which rooms are cl " map? :confused3 :goodvibes
With the understanding cl can be added to the suites no matter where those are and I have that map already
There is no official map of Club Level rooms, but generally they are close to the lounge (shown in red) on the 6th and 5th floors (in particular nearby x3xx rooms). Some rooms might be exclusively Club Level, but it might also be possible to add Club Level to any room (similar to suites).

I like the Park View on the East Side: Green 6th and 5th floors, Orange 5th floor.
However, I doubt any of these have been renovated.

It seems having a renovated room is a high priority, so you might want one of the rooms shown in Blue.
x218-x234 (6th or 5th floor) have a pool view, x240-x260 (5th floor) have a park view.
I suspect 1 bedroom suites 3451 (DTD view) and 3452 (Park view) were renovated as early "test" rooms.
map_gch_cl.jpg

He is a pool guy so at least we should be in good shape arriving mid June. :thumbsup2
The renovated rooms shown in Blue have convenient pool access.

There is no official map of Club Level rooms, but generally they are close to the lounge (shown in red) on the 6th and 5th floors (in particular nearby x3xx rooms). Some rooms might be exclusively Club Level, but it might also be possible to add Club Level to any room (similar to suites).

I like the Park View on the East Side: Green 6th and 5th floors, Orange 5th floor.
However, I doubt any of these have been renovated.

It seems having a renovated room is a high priority, so you might want one of the rooms shown in Blue.
x218-x234 (6th or 5th floor) have a pool view, x240-x260 (5th floor) have a park view.
I suspect 1 bedroom suites 3451 (DTD view) and 3452 (Park view) were renovated as early "test" rooms.
View attachment 236581

The renovated rooms shown in Blue have convenient pool access.
Thanks! It's all so interesting .

I am so familiar with WDW resorts but this one is so unique.

I think I have more fun preplanning than the actual trip :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter