Grammar pet peeves!

How about the people in my office who use where/were interchangibly!!! "Sally and Joe where going." It makes me want to run screaming down the hall.

Also-- affect/effect. you're/your, weather/whether

Now I'm just mad. Thanks. ;)

My biggest personal grammatical pet peeve though is conversate. It is not even a word. You converse with someone or you can have a conversation with someone. Where the heck did this term even come from?
:rotfl2: That one drives me nuts, too. How can someone go through life without learning the word "converse"?

What ever happened to "Skimmed" Milk? It became so common to call it "Skim" Milk, that now it "Skim Milk" is the acceptable name and pronunciation.
:rotfl2: That's funny. I'm 43 years old and I've never heard it called "skimmed milk", only "skim milk". :confused3

Loose/lose is irritating, too. Loose = opposite of tight! Whenever I see someone write "I thought I'd loose the race" or "I didn't want to loose my wallet", I get a weird mental image of someone untying a giant knot. :rotfl2: And you know it's not always a typo because people will type it wrong 8 times in one post.

Another one is ridiculous. The word is not rEdiculous. I see so many people misspell this word that I started to doubt my own spelling ability and actually looked it up to make sure I was right. :lmao:

I don't like it when people say "very unique" it is just not right. Unique is unique there is no very about it.

I will say that when I was a child I would say "amnt" as in "I amnt going to eat that liverwurst." It made sense to me at the time and even though I know "amnt" is not a word I think it should be. Sometimes I find myself saying it when in heated conversations (ok, arguments) with friends and family.

Upon occassion I've even heard myself saying "you amnt" as in "you amnt going to make me eat that liverwurst" which though very unique is just not right. ;)

Hey, you're not allowed to steal my word ;)

There seems to be a new trend in grammatical errors where I work. I keep receiving emails from coworkers saying, "Such and such happened on today."

Prior to working here, I have never encountered someone saying that.

"It happened today" or "It happened on Sunday" is acceptible, but isn't "On Today" incorrect?

I have received this type of email from a few different people I work with. One person is usually well-spoken and he started it. The girl who recently began doing this used to sit by him and I think she wanted to sound good, so she picked up on this?

:headache: I also never heard that line until I met my current principal. He says, "We will be having an assembly ON TOMORROW." It makes me cringe every time I hear it. I was watching a documentary on HBO last night and one of the men said it too. :confused3

The other thing that bothers me is when people say fustrated. My VP says that and it's so embarrassing sitting in a meeting with her and a parent and she keeps saying over and over how fustrated a child is.

The ON was added to dates even on the NEWS here and it grates my very last nerve. It sounds BEYOND ignorant. :furious:

I'm a fanatic about the King's English and have to cringe daily when people speak... or write. :duck: I wish I could get over it but it looks like I inherited it, and my poor kid inherited it from me!!!

My yearly pet peeve "Happy New Years"... okay, add day and Happy New Year's Day IS fine but how many YEARS are we being happy about????? :confused3

While we're at it... she's ONE YEARS OLD..?? WT????:eek: People, if you MUST make it plural use MONTHS until the kid turns two....

One that bothers me is cemetary....there is no a in cemetery. The one I used to mess up all the time was separate (and I went to the school spelling bee almost every year....I still used to put "seperate" until my 11th Grade English teacher said "there's a rat in separate.")

I only have one that sets me off and that is, anyways. It sounds AWFUL!

:headache: I also never heard that line until I met my current principal. He says, "We will be having an assembly ON TOMORROW." It makes me cringe every time I hear it. I was watching a documentary on HBO last night and one of the men said it too. :confused3

The other thing that bothers me is when people say fustrated. My VP says that and it's so embarrassing sitting in a meeting with her and a parent and she keeps saying over and over how fustrated a child is.

OH GOD, you people are killing me.... I forgot that one too! FUStrated makes me FRUSTRATED.

You know what really kills me? When people who miss pronounce words or use the wrong word . Then when I use the correct word such as moot for "mute" they think I am wrong!!

What about the phrase, " You done good!"

Hey, who remebers Norm Crosby? He was the master of incorrect word usage.

OH GOD, you people are killing me.... I forgot that one too! FUStrated makes me FRUSTRATED.

You know what really kills me? When people who miss pronounce words or use the wrong word . Then when I use the correct word such as moot for "mute" they think I am wrong!!

What about the phrase, " You done good!"

Such a dilemna!........:lmao:

That one also gets me its a dilemma folks!

I think you would all enjoy the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves : The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

It's a commical (but factual) look at improper use of punctuation.

Biggest pet peeve right now is on Judge Judy. Everyone says that they got their "tax return" when they really got their "tax refund". I work in a CPA office so that just drives me batty.

Also, I agree that supposedly is usually said incorrectly.

I used to have a boss who started all of his emails out with
"High"
I tried to correct him tactfully but he never did get it. I got notes in high school with the same content it meant something completely different though.

He also overused ellipses . . . . . . . . . it was torture .... reading his emails but the . . . . . . way they started always gave me a . . . . chuckle.

It's definitely, not definately.

It's "toe the line," not "tow the line."

Plural of Jones is Joneses, not Jones' or Jones's or Jone's. If you put a sign on your front door to say the Smith family lives here, it should read "The Smiths" not "The Smith's".

It's October 2008, not October, 2008.

It's "could have" or "could've," not "could of".

Have you seen the commercial for DirectTV with the man who cannot use proper grammar to save his life? I cannot stand the commercial and will not even consider using their product on principle! "Recordificate?" "Recordify" "Pau-say?" (Pause). It is enough to drive me up the wall!

My number one grammar pet peeve has always been using good when you should use the word well.

Example:
Person 1: "How are you doing?"
Person 2: "I'm good"

The phrase is I'm well! Argh! The other grammar pet peeve for me is text speak and consistent lack of capitalization or punctuation. I'm not talking about the occasional typo, but those people who never punctuate or capitalize. I simply skip their posts when I see them because they make me go cross-eyed. If I can capitalize and punctuate now (I have a fifteen pound cat sleeping on my hands), then so can they.

It's an actor spoofing President Bush,

Ooh, ooh, two more...

• Nother - as in "a whole nother thing". It's other. There is no such word as nother.
  • Irregardless - Again, no such word. The word is regardless.

Okay, I really think I am done now. Of course I said that before. :rolleyes1

Blah blah blah people. Life is too short to pick apart how someone speaks, spells, whatever. This is a family board not a college essay. Often when I am sending out a quick email to someone I don't pay close attention to all that. This all sounds overly critical to me. Who cares!!?? No one is perfect and all of us make mistakes. Good Grief!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter