For those of you who bought direct...

This question is akin to asking people to “Raise your hand if you're dead." While I understand the intent of the OP’s question, equally valuable answers as those shared above with zero regrets would be from someone who, in fact, did harbor regrets; someone who this didn’t work out for, for reasons people here either didn’t experience, or may not be willing to admit to publicly.

So far, the consensus is that buying direct is 100% regret proof. So either a retail Disney’s timeshare is the perfect life choice, or this is a flawed sampling.

If the question were posed, “Who here regrets buying resale and not direct instead?”, you would have the same skewed response.... “No regrets, I saved a bajillion dollars.” “I could buy x-years of APs for all the savings.” “I could always buy x-future-resort resale/pay cash/rent there if I really wanted to stay there.”

That’s the thing about spending tens of thousands of dollars on something like a Disney timeshare, however you came about securing it, human nature is to find a way to justify your decisions, direct or resale. In life, finding completely candid concessions on poor life choices are a rarity. On an anonymous public forum? Good luck.

I bought my resale contracts at a price point vs direct that saved me about $35K vs. retail. But had I purchased all of those points direct, I can honestly say I would probably feel zero regret. Less because it was the absolute right choice, or a superior product (my resale contracts were pre-2019 restrictions), but more because I would probably have made the purchase work for me financially, so why would I bother looking back and regretting anything?

The people with legitimate remorse probably aren't hanging around these corners of the internet. They're more likely hanging out at omgiboughtamickeymousetimesharewhilehighonthedisney.com's message boards.

I recognize that OP is asking for a direct buyer perspective, but for others exploring buying direct vs. resale, these are points worth making, as it’s less likely that retail is sliced bread v2.0, as much as this is an exercise in confirmation bias.

Last edited:
When our
No regrets. We bought our first contract direct (a 60 point Poly contract) back in 2017. Back then that was enough to get the blue card. I'm not sure if I would do it now with the increased restrictions. We would probably just buy resale only.

When our resort expires, we lose our Blue Card privileges too right? And to maintain them, we would need to be buy in again at whatever price point at that time or are we grandfathered for life... like if they re issue points?

I might need to start back adding some new points😂

When our

When our resort expires, we lose our Blue Card privileges too right? And to maintain them, we would need to be buy in again at whatever price point at that time or are we grandfathered for life... like if they re issue points?

I might need to start back adding some new points😂

That is correct. The points are what qualify you for the membership extras, If those expire or get sold, the perks go away.

I had a grandfathered contract in my Dec UY, and sold it. That membership is now white card,

But, I did add RIV with my adult kids to my Aug UY, so we are all set until 2070!

Reactions: cm8
We purchased 100 pts resale first at SSR just this year. We really want to buy direct at Riviera but we just will not move forward until we know we will be able to get that AP discount. I will not buy direct until I see some of these perks return. Let me also add that I only considered direct because we really love Riviera. If it wasn't for that resort I would continue with resale contracts.

Last edited:
We bought resale - direct - resale.
Our first contract was resale because we did our research and realized what a savings it was. Our plan was to buy resale, then add on a small contract, which at the time was only 50 points to get the blue card benefits (which can be changed/taken away at any time). No other reason to buy direct other than we wanted the blue card. Silly? FOMO? Maybe but that's what we felt we wanted at the time. Do I regret buying direct - no. Not at all. We've enjoyed the lounge at Epcot, been to a few of the Moonlight Magic events, get the Gold AP. But, I would not pay direct now. What is it, 125 points minimum now? I could get so many more points resale for what it would cost to buy 125 points direct!

Me too. I'm all resale and I always get the purple light. I don't think that's a blue card perk.

Make sure your name is listed FIRST on the contract. It only lights up for the first name - serious gripe in our house as my husband gets the purple light and he could care less. I never get it. All our points are direct.

Make sure your name is listed FIRST on the contract. It only lights up for the first name - serious gripe in our house as my husband gets the purple light and he could care less. I never get it. All our points are direct.

Both my DD and I got it hit or miss during our recent stay and I am listed 2nd and she is listed 5th on the contract,

I find I get it more consistently at Epcot but not so much elsewhere, So, in our case, the owner order has no effect.

That's not correct. It lights up for both my wife and myself. When only one party gets purple it's usually because both parties don't have their own DVC login and MDE and have them linked.

This question is akin to asking people to “Raise your hand if you're dead." While I understand the intent of the OP’s question, equally valuable answers as those shared above with zero regrets would be from someone who, in fact, did harbor regrets; someone who this didn’t work out for, for reasons people here either didn’t experience, or may not be willing to admit to publicly.

All you have to do is peruse the many, many Copper Creek listings at the resale broker of your choice. Unless bought resale, it is likely they lost money on the deal. If financed, the math can be even worse. Maybe still a good experience, maybe not.

That's not correct. It lights up for both my wife and myself. When only one party gets purple it's usually because both parties don't have their own DVC login and MDE and have them linked.
this is true.... I linked our DVC to MDE as soon as we bought. When we visited in December, my magic band lit up purple and we heard the Welcome Home! but not my husband. That night after our first park day, my husband linked his DVC membership to MDE and he got the purple lights when we tapped in for the next park.

We bought 300 points direct(150 at Copper Creek and 150 at Riviera) and regret nothing. We bought last summer when DVC reopened during the pandemic and we saved $12,000 on those 300 points. It cost very close to what we would have paid resale for the home resorts we were considering so it was a no brainer. We stayed for the first time over Christmas week at Copper Creek and Beach Club and it was a blast. We used the DVC lounge and got our DVC discount on items. Its nice knowing we will get all the member benefits moving forward. We also did direct for the AP discount and getting the Gold pass as we almost always go over June and July and November.

We bought resale and never seriously considered buying direct. It has worked out swimmingly.

Once we made the decision to take the DVC plunge, the math was too obvious. If the threshold for getting member benefits was still 25 points, we'd consider such an add-on. When it jumped to 75, we were definitely out. The subsequent jump (jumps?) was irrelevant. We live 1,000 miles away in Michigan, so we tend to make it to Florida once a year or so and we go to the parks every other trip. Access to an AP is worthless. Our parks trips are longer, so we utilize UK tickets for those trips. The 14-day ticket is a couple hundred dollars less than an AP, although it does take some extra legwork and a helpful friend to get the tickets purchased and delivered.

The dining and merchandise discounts are attractive...but we tend to get those about 90% of the time anyway with our gray card printout. TOTWL is great...but we get access to that anyway even without the blue card.

Having an actual blue card? Getting a purple light when we scan our MagicBands? Having access to whatever amorphous perks might be attached to direct membership in the future? We just don't care. We wanted to be able to stay at the Poly, WL, AKL, etc. on our trips instead of feeling like we couldn't justify the cost and should instead stay at moderate/value resorts. Staying at the deluxe resorts is the biggest upgrade we've experienced to date, and resale DVC made it doable from a cost standpoint. Direct would've been doable, too, but we happily allocated the $10K or so that we didn't pay to DVC elsewhere. Our experiences at the resorts are the exact same as resale members. Our kids don't know and wouldn't care at all. We all want the rooms, the pools, and the locations. Resale delivers that 100%.

Last edited:
We bought resale and never seriously considered buying direct. It has worked out swimmingly.

Once we made the decision to take the DVC plunge, the math was too obvious. If the threshold for getting member benefits was still 25 points, we'd consider such an add-on. When it jumped to 75, we were definitely out. The subsequent jump (jumps?) was irrelevant. We live 1,000 miles away in Michigan, so we tend to make it to Florida once a year or so and we go to the parks every other trip. Access to an AP is worthless. Our parks trips are longer, so we utilize UK tickets for those trips. The 14-day ticket is a couple hundred dollars less than an AP, although it does take some extra legwork and a helpful friend to get the tickets purchased and delivered.

The dining and merchandise discounts are attractive...but we tend to get those about 90% of the time anyway with our gray card printout. TOTWL is great...but we get access to that anyway even without the blue card.

Having an actual blue card? Getting a purple light when we scan our MagicBands? Having access to whatever amorphous perks might be attached to direct membership in the future? We just don't care. We wanted to be able to stay at the Poly, WL, AKL, etc. on our trips instead of feeling like we couldn't justify the cost and should instead stay at moderate/value resorts. Staying at the deluxe resorts is the biggest upgrade we've experienced to date, and resale DVC made it doable from a cost standpoint. Direct would've been doable, too, but we happily allocated the $10K or so that we didn't pay to DVC elsewhere. Our experiences at the resort at the exact same as resale members. Our kids don't know and wouldn't care at all. We all want the rooms, the pools, and the locations. Resale delivers that 100%.
FWIW, the math could be different if we lived in Florida. But we don't, so it's not.

FWIW, the math could be different if we lived in Florida. But we don't, so it's not.

I was laughing at the end of your statement. Its very true though part of the difficulty in a generic yes or no comes down to your specific math.

I always outlined I bought Riviera at $155/point and much different than buying at $195/point. All my math is drastically different when you look at the resale prices around the time I purchased as well (BLT $135 / CCV $150) and consider I will likely move trips around to take advantage of Gold Passes when they return.

We bought direct in 2015 at VGF and added on resale there in 2017. Difference in costs at that point between direct and resale was minimal (less than 10%) for the first purchase. Once we factored in an extra year of points direct, it become a wash - if not better to go direct. Restrictions back then were limited, so they were not really a factor.

Second contract had a much wider spread between direct and resale, though we struggled to find the right contract (October use years seem to be few and far between). Still, we were not in a rush and found a good one eventually.

I was laughing at the end of your statement. Its very true though part of the difficulty in a generic yes or no comes down to your specific math.

I always outlined I bought Riviera at $155/point and much different than buying at $195/point. All my math is drastically different when you look at the resale prices around the time I purchased as well (BLT $135 / CCV $150) and consider I will likely move trips around to take advantage of Gold Passes when they return.
I'm glad that you got a nice chuckle out of it! I enjoyed writing it and briefly reliving our DVC purchasing experience.

this is true.... I linked our DVC to MDE as soon as we bought. When we visited in December, my magic band lit up purple and we heard the Welcome Home! but not my husband. That night after our first park day, my husband linked his DVC membership to MDE and he got the purple lights when we tapped in for the next park.
So how do I do this? We share a MDE account and I have added DVC membership to it, but my Mickey doesn’t turn purple and hers does. Is there a way to get it to work for both of us?

So how do I do this? We share a MDE account and I have added DVC membership to it, but my Mickey doesn’t turn purple and hers does. Is there a way to get it to work for both of us?

Creating your own MDE account might help, but then there are certain things you will have to do through your account related to tickets.

As I mentioned, I get it hit or miss and sometimes, more on one trip than another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter