For those of you who bought direct...

So how do I do this? We share a MDE account and I have added DVC membership to it, but my Mickey doesn’t turn purple and hers does. Is there a way to get it to work for both of us?
My wife had the same issue when her MDE login dis not match her DVC login. I can't say for sure.... but you may each need individual MDE and DVC logins, and those separate accounts need to be linked for each person, under Profile/Memberships and passed

I have direct and resale would do direct again and would do resale again. Small contract or good incentives direct.

I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. We currently own 150 points direct at CCV. All paid for. I am considering adding on another 150 and was set on resale initially but with the current incentive, the savings would be around $6,000. (Basing on a 150 pt resale contract). I’m thinking that to have half my points have restrictions would it be worth it? I am not so sure it is. Now, if we were talking $10,000 or more then it would be harder to ignore. So now I am leaning direct...just for the piece of mind of having the points be treated the same. (As well as the ease of getting them, that others have mentioned).

I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. We currently own 150 points direct at CCV. All paid for. I am considering adding on another 150 and was set on resale initially but with the current incentive, the savings would be around $6,000. (Basing on a 150 pt resale contract). I’m thinking that to have half my points have restrictions would it be worth it? I am not so sure it is. Now, if we were talking $10,000 or more then it would be harder to ignore. So now I am leaning direct...just for the piece of mind of having the points be treated the same.

How many years of dues would that $6K pay for? I don't know but to me $6k is still a significant savings, you already have a qualified membership and nobody knows what new resorts are actually going to be built so fully qualified points are a bet on a possibility. If you want to stay at any of the existing resorts then the resale points can be used there. This all assumes you're buying resale at one of the 14 resorts and at one you like to stay at.

How many years of dues would that $6K pay for? I don't know but to me $6k is still a significant savings, you already have a qualified membership and nobody knows what new resorts are actually going to be built so fully qualified points are a bet on a possibility. If you want to stay at any of the existing resorts then the resale points can be used there. This all assumes you're buying resale at one of the 14 resorts and at one you like to stay at.
I guess with DVC I tend to think longer term. Maybe this is an odd way to look at it, but over the next 20 years, the savings would add up to a”$300 a year. And when the 2042 resorts end, no one knows what will happen. Is $300 a year worth it to retain those benefits? There is no easy answer but it is not as cut and dried to me when thinking long term.

Last edited:
I guess with DVC I tend to think longer term. Maybe this is an odd way to look at it, but over the next 20 years, the savings would add up to a”$300 a year. And when the 2042 resorts end, no one knows what will happen. Is $300 a year worth it to retain those benefits? There is no easy answer but it is not as cut and dried to me when thinking long term.

Actually there's no guarantees about anything with DVC but it's pretty safe to say when the 2042 resorts end there still will be the remaining 9 remaining of the 14 (OKW will still be there because of the extension) for another 12 years until 2054 when more resorts start to fall off the list. And $6,000 remaining in the pocket compounds too. The 14 are known and the rest are paper plans or ideas tossed about is how I look at it. If we're talking possibilities there's also a decent possibility that DVC will eventually go the route of allowing people to pay a fee to get their points fully qualified.

Here is what I have learned having restricted resale points with my non restricted points...with the admission that I love RIV and now my trips will include staying there as part of split stays many times.

Its not easy and has required some modifying and adjusting when booking since some can be used and some can not, Because of it, I can’t waitlist the same way I could if all points were eligible. This has required more adjustments if things show up at RIV and the points I have not used were restricted.

In hindsight, I should have bought 75 direct at BLT vs 100 resale for smoothness bookings,..which is what I find in my other membership that has RIV direct and non restricted SSR.

So, I think deciding how often you might want RIV or potential new resorts and the ability to not worry at 7 months on which ones can and can not be used.

Good luck.

Here is what I have learned having restricted resale points with my non restricted points...with the admission that I love RIV and now my trips will include staying there as part of split stays many times.

Its not easy and has required some modifying and adjusting when booking since some can be used and some can not, Because of it, I can’t waitlist the same way I could if all points were eligible. This has required more adjustments if things show up at RIV and the points I have not used were restricted.

In hindsight, I should have bought 75 direct at BLT vs 100 resale for smoothness bookings,..which is what I find in my other membership that has RIV direct and non restricted SSR.

So, I think deciding how often you might want RIV or potential new resorts and the ability to not worry at 7 months on which ones can and can not be used.

Good luck.

It’s really a tough call. Right now, I have no plans to stay at Riviera and future resorts are only a concept. But do I want to close the door on the possibility to save $6,000 spread over the long haul? I’m not sure. I like the idea of my points being in a nice neat bucket. Maybe that’s my OCD creeping in. I like things neat and easy to manage. 😊

It’s really a tough call. Right now, I have no plans to stay at Riviera and future resorts are only a concept. But do I want to close the door on the possibility to save $6,000 spread over the long haul? I’m not sure. I like the idea of my points being in a nice neat bucket. Maybe that’s my OCD creeping in. I like things neat and easy to manage. 😊

It definitely is when you are not sure. In my case, It would have cost me about $4500 more to have bought 100 RiV direct or 75 BLT direct over the 100 resale I got. In the long run, I wish had spent the money. But. I do own lots of other points so I can make it work. I just wish I had thought it through more before buying.

If you have no plans to stay at Riviera then yeah, that might be OCD, FOMO or perhaps both creeping in. ;)

Where do you actually want to stay most of the time?

It definitely is when you are not sure. In my case, It would have cost me about $4500 more to have bought 100 RiV direct or 75 BLT direct over the 100 resale I got. In the long run, I wish had spent the money. But. I do own lots of other points so I can make it work. I just wish I had thought it through more before buying.
Never too late to sell that resale contract and snag those BLT direct points.

If you have no plans to stay at Riviera then yeah, that might be OCD, FOMO or perhaps both creeping in. ;)

Where do you actually want to stay most of the time?

I meant I don’t have any plans to stay there right now. I don’t have plans to stay at the majority of DVC resorts. Doesn’t mean I won’t...or my kids won’t someday. I swore I’d never have an interest in the Epcot resorts just last year. Now we want to try the Beach Club. Things change...

Never too late to sell that resale contract and snag those BLT direct points.

Very true...but since I do have so many other points left over from canceled trips, I’ll make it work for now since I have trips booked on them already....and just closed in July!

However, I know I’ll add on more points in 2 to 3 years and I now realize it will be direct...then I will just sell these...or not!

$3,000 off for 150 direct add on. Now is probably the time to do it if you want direct. No restrictions and easily match your use year.
Personally, I would add direct, But the resale savings are pretty good. Great resort, either way.

$3,000 off for 150 direct add on. Now is probably the time to do it if you want direct. No restrictions and easily match your use year.
Personally, I would add direct, But the resale savings are pretty good. Great resort, either way.

Yeah, if the incentive weren’t going on, there would be little question. Darn DVC. 😜

Make sure your name is listed FIRST on the contract. It only lights up for the first name - serious gripe in our house as my husband gets the purple light and he could care less. I never get it. All our points are direct.
Not true. My husband is listed first and the light flashes for me and not him. It’s probably because we use my MDE login for everything.

The $138 BLT resale I just signed a contract for vs the $230 direct per point from Disney. They aren’t offering any incentives that good to be worth it for direct purchase.
We bought our first resale at BWV in 2012 and what spurred our purchase was we wanted to go to Aulani. We looked up the cost to stay there for a week in a room big enough to fit our family of 5 and it was $10k. We got our 230 pt BWV contract for $55 a point because that was right after Disney has put the first resale restrictions in place. So we paid $13k for BWV and used those points at Aulani that first year and consider our BWV points to have only cost us $3K because we were definitely going to Aulani we just found a smarter way to stay there.

I wrestled over direct or resale on my CC add-ons, but decided direct with the incentives (even though resale was still cheaper). Key for me was the ability to book Riviera and future resorts. Also key was the ease to transact. I bought the direct - and just recently within the 7 months was able to switch my CC reservation to Riviera reservation. So I was fortunate to gain some of the benefit I was looking for, in this case (obviously that may not always be the case as Riviera may get tougher to book in later years). I paid a premium for this value, but am happy with my decision. Looking forward to the stay at Riviera!

I initially bought resale and then went ahead and added on 2 small contracts direct points to get to 125 blue card. I wanted specific # of points and for my use year too and direct makes it so much easier to do. I know it cost me a pretty penny but checking all the different websites for new contracts daily and then that still doesn’t guarantee I’ll get the contract through ROFR made me feel it’s worth it. I got my points immediately and I was able to use my 11 month advantage to book hard to book rooms at BLT right away for Nov/Dec. I also think long term and so that couple hundred dollar extra I’m paying per year isn’t too bad. I also do want to stay at the Riviera at some point and what if I love it? I would definitely still consider resale at this point but now the urgency is gone I can look at the listings casually and wait for that perfect contract that fits perfectly to come along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter