For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read in the USA Today yesterday that the governor of Virginia has approval to make I95 a TOLL ROAD!:scared1: Does anybody know more about this, like what parts of I95 will be toll, when this will happen, etc.? We like to take I95 for a change sometimes and see the sights in DC, but if it is going to add too much in tolls, we will find ways to avoid it, for sure. We pay too many tolls here in NYS already and I am always bragging about how I can not pay any tolls after I leave NYS and drive all the way to Florida not paying any tolls.
Bummer!

I read in the USA Today yesterday that the governor of Virginia has approval to make I95 a TOLL ROAD!:scared1: Does anybody know more about this, like what parts of I95 will be toll, when this will happen, etc.? We like to take I95 for a change sometimes and see the sights in DC, but if it is going to add too much in tolls, we will find ways to avoid it, for sure. We pay too many tolls here in NYS already and I am always bragging about how I can not pay any tolls after I leave NYS and drive all the way to Florida not paying any tolls.

Wow - wonder what that would do to the beach traffic in the summer? I can handle $15 one way if necessary.

Hello all, nice to see the remodel on the thread.

From my last post: We left 9:30AM Monday Oct 3, only made it as far as Lumberton, N.C. for the night. I think that was the half way mark, at 519 miles 8:30 PM.
The next morning on the road by 9:30 AM, It was 8:30PM again when we finally checked in at Disney Oct 4th and another 519 miles.

Coming home we cheated, the dgs and ds talked me into Auto Train Oct 11th, it was the best time and worse time. Super fantastic that we drove to Sanford 2:00PM, check in and they loaded the car. We had 2 connected bedroom cars.

Wine and cheese served prior to leaving the station at 4:00 PM. Supper I had Beef in a great sauce, baked potato, yummy cheese cake and two more glasses of wine I think that was to make us able to sleep.

Beds were turned down at 9:00PM, with an early wake up for a 7:00 AM breakfast call and rooms were made back up.
We arrived Lorton VA., super early this morning at 8:00AM and were on the way home 9:30AM to N.E. PA. This took off over 700 miles of our trip. No gas, hotel room or food, cost so the offset was a good one.

I did not sleep as well as the hotel room going down. In fact I did not sleep at all the entire night. EXHAUSTED!
I really needed to have an egg crate or something extremly padded to sleep on, with back herniations and a thin bedding I was miserable.

As for our Disney visit,
Unfortunatly we had that tropical system that sat over top of us for days on end, dumping Buckets, like it was Mickey in Fantasia.
The first two days and last two days were the best weather.

A HIGHTLIGHT, Meeting dvczerfs. For the brief time we got to say hello, it was one of my favorite memories made on this trip, I will upload a photo.
For now it is digging through my work cases that were waiting until I got home so off to bed for now.
di

We had read a similar story last month. :eek:

For us, our I-95 drive has a number of important mileposts, and one of them is the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel toll ($2.00). After paying the $3.00 toll after crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge and the paying the overpriced $4.00 Maryland toll, passing through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel means no more tolls until WDW. It's a great feeling.

The thought of additional tolls on I-95 in VA (not the most pleasant place to drive around rush hour, especially in northern VA) is horrrible. :scared1:

All the best. :thumbsup2

This time next week our journey will have already begun! :cool1: Leaving the 20th and coming back the 30th. This has been our longest stretch without a trip, (1 year). We will be making up for it next year, with several trips to be planned.

This time next week our journey will have already begun! :cool1: Leaving the 20th and coming back the 30th. This has been our longest stretch without a trip, (1 year). We will be making up for it next year, with several trips to be planned.

Coincidentally, we will be right behind you...by two days. We must live relatively close by; we are in southern Ocean County near the bay.

What time do you plan on departing?

I believe from past posts that we live very close. Still not sure when we are leaving, still debating driving straight through or stopping over night.

I believe from past posts that we live very close. Still not sure when we are leaving, still debating driving straight through or stopping over night.

Greetings from Exit #67 (not to be confused with Exit #67 on I-4 in FL!).

We plan on departing early Saturday morning (Oct. 22) somewhere after midnight and before 3 a.m. Our plan (weather permitting) is another "straight through" drive...arriving and collapsing at a Lake Buena Vista hotel for the night before driving to the Boardwalk the next morning.

Is school a concern for your bunch?

Greetings from Exit #67 (not to be confused with Exit #67 on I-4 in FL!).

We plan on departing early Saturday morning (Oct. 22) somewhere after midnight and before 3 a.m. Our plan (weather permitting) is another "straight through" drive...arriving and collapsing at a Lake Buena Vista hotel for the night before driving to the Boardwalk the next morning.

Is school a concern for your bunch?

Same exit! Ocean Acres, Stafford.

We take the kids out of school and don't really worry about it. The teachers send some work for them to do on our trip. Due to work I am unable to take vacation in November or December, so Jersey Week is out.

Same exit! Ocean Acres, Stafford.

We take the kids out of school and don't really worry about it. The teachers send some work for them to do on our trip. Due to work I am unable to take vacation in November or December, so Jersey Week is out.

Earlier in the year both dvczerfs and sharadoc were at WDW while we were there but we never managed to meet and say hello; perhaps we will.

Leaving tomorrow at 5 PM (EDT) from Upstate New York. It's just the wife and I and we should be overnighting in Delaware at about 11 PM. Saturday should get us to Savannah, Georgia by late afternoon. Sunday we should arrive at our home (20 miles south of WDW) around noon. :moped: It's about 1,300 miles one way.

Embarking on our first trip to WDW next Sunday the 23rd. It will be myself, the wife and our two daughters 4 & 3. We live about an hour north of Milwaukee, WI and I plan on driving straight through which will be about 1,300 miles one way.

I have done some long trips before, but this will be my longest straight through. I am more worried about the girls but hope they sleep most of the night through making it easier.

I plan on taking I65 to Nashville and then shooting over to at Chattanooga for I75. Any hints/tips for me before we jet?

nono, id be intrested on how your going and how you make out. keep us posted on your trip. a client of mine drove his motor home out to cal. but he went the southern rte. he planned for heat,cold,snow and rain. he got caught in a sand storm near rosewell new mex. :eek: hes said he was holding on to the wheel with two hands on one side of the wheel to keep it on the road. he thought his new motor home was destroyed by the sand blasts but there was no damage. he wanted t do the i80 rte but i think it was in late may and there was still snow out west in the mtns.

WOW! :scared1: Yeah, I already threw out the I-80 route because to me, that means we should go to San Francisco! Where my MIL lives. I don't want to be setting any precedent or anything... :laughing: In the next couple days, I'll PM you our preliminary idea of how it might go.

Earlier in the year both dvczerfs and sharadoc were at WDW while we were there but we never managed to meet and say hello; perhaps we will.

If I recall correctly, we got you to learn how to text!!! :thumbsup2

Still didn't see each other. But then again, the Zerfs and Docs were in rooms right next to each other for 3 days at CR and never ran into each other, except for the peek over the railing while watching Wishes :rotfl:

Good luck! We are planning our first nonstop driving trip to WDW in December. We've been to WDW many times, but we have always flown in. I'm hoping for good weather.

Embarking on our first trip to WDW next Sunday the 23rd. It will be myself, the wife and our two daughters 4 & 3. We live about an hour north of Milwaukee, WI and I plan on driving straight through which will be about 1,300 miles one way.

I have done some long trips before, but this will be my longest straight through. I am more worried about the girls but hope they sleep most of the night through making it easier.

I plan on taking I65 to Nashville and then shooting over to at Chattanooga for I75. Any hints/tips for me before we jet?

My DH and DDs 15 and 21 will be taking our 8th annual Thanksgiving drive from Saratoga Springs, NY to WDW this year leaving 11/17 and returning 11/26. :woohoo:

We drive I-95 non-stop (well a few stops!) and I believe, but don't quote me, it's a 1340 mile trip each way.

WOW! :scared1: Yeah, I already threw out the I-80 route because to me, that means we should go to San Francisco! Where my MIL lives. I don't want to be setting any precedent or anything... :laughing: In the next couple days, I'll PM you our preliminary idea of how it might go.

:lmao: how did you manage that!!! you on the east coast and the mil on the west coast??:worship::worship: you sir are a very lucky man!!:worship::lmao: one of these years tammy and i are going to make the drive. im thinking of doing a southern rte, stopping to see the canyon, the dam, sin city (not that i gamble but just to see it) and maybe the byou and disney land. if i can knock tammy out, get her on a short plane ride, i would like to see pearl harb. i wouldnt be in a motor home so i would have to have hotel resis. every night.

My DH and DDs 15 and 21 will be taking our 8th annual Thanksgiving drive from Saratoga Springs, NY to WDW this year leaving 11/17 and returning 11/26. :woohoo:

We drive I-95 non-stop (well a few stops!) and I believe, but don't quote me, it's a 1340 mile trip each way.

i have to ask, do you stay at saratoga springs in wdw?

If I recall correctly, we got you to learn how to text!!! :thumbsup2

Still didn't see each other. But then again, the Zerfs and Docs were in rooms right next to each other for 3 days at CR and never ran into each other, except for the peek over the railing while watching Wishes :rotfl:

And that was the last time I texted! ;)

[Our countdown continues: not quite single digits.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter