Flights our of YUL for March Break Still not booked

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by xipetotec, Sep 26, 2012.

  1. xipetotec

    xipetotec DIS Veteran

    Mar 21, 2005
    So we're going down with the family including my parents in early March. ( March Break! ). My mother is convinced that we can wait for "sales", but both my father and I keep trying to tell her that the "44 day rule" they talk about online doesn't apply to MARCH BREAK... Already I've seen prices go up since we've been checking and she insists we'll see sales and they'll go down....

    Am I crazy here? Or do you think there's a chance? ( I should also mention we want to book flights for NINE people )
  2. gilsan

    gilsan DIS Veteran

    Apr 18, 2009
    I would be nervous and I am someone who always waits for the best price. I think at March break all bets are off especially if you have specific dates in mind.
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. bankr63

    bankr63 DIS Veteran

    Aug 3, 2010
    You are not crazy!

    If you are willing to leave a couple of days early, or a couple of days into the break you might be able to find a deal. But if you want to fly on Friday or Saturday of Quebec break, you should get tickets soon. You could also try flying from YOW or YYZ as our school breaks don't align; we often fly from Montreal on Ontario break and can find tickets closer to the date (but they sell out those flights too). Flying from south of the border is probably an option too - are there direct flights from Burlington or Plattsburg maybe? Deals, for Friday/Saturday I have never seen (even for cross province). We fly to MCO most March breaks and there is never an empty seat on the aircraft, and finding any seat at all can be difficult in the last few weeks. Everyone flys to Disney for March break.

    Personally we usually get our tickets as soon as they are released. We booked our flights for this year on the first day of availability, and the flights (for 4) had already gone up over $1k in less than a week.
  5. xipetotec

    xipetotec DIS Veteran

    Mar 21, 2005
    Well actually, oddly enough, My original searches were from Sunday to Sunday, and through playing around with +1/-1 settings, I did find that leaving SATURDAY and Returning the following Monday was a much better deal than sunday to sunday. We can't make the arrival date later as it's a cruise we're taking and that's already booked. but we CAN delay the return.

    At this point, I think it's more the idea that the dates we want, I think we need to act soon!
  6. DisneyFreak06

    DisneyFreak06 DIS Veteran

    Oct 17, 2006
    I know the feeling. My sister isn't sure she'll have the cash to actually go on the trip, but is trying hard and saving, so nothing is booked. I wanted to fly with them so I didn't book a flight yet, but now they just keep going up, so I'm getting nervous.

    Good luck to the OP, let's hope we get some good deals! ::yes::
  7. 2gr8DisneyKids

    2gr8DisneyKids DIS Veteran

    Jun 19, 2009
    If you are not flexible with dates due to the cruise you should book now! Last year I kept waiting for a sale and the prices only went up. We ended up using credit card points to get seats at the times we wanted since we have little ones and can not fly at 6 am. Our tickets on westjet were $1,000 each and on air Canada it was $3,250 each!!!
  8. fredgirls

    fredgirls DIS Veteran

    Jun 2, 2009
    March break prices are only going to go up!

    We booked on the day they were released for our March Break 2013. I just went and checked them for you, to give a comparison and they are already more than double what we paid!!

    So many go to florida for March break the planes we've been on have always been full. And needing 9 tickets!

    Just my experience though. With a cruise booked too, and no flexibility I personally would want to make sure we could all get seats on the same flight.
  9. RainbowsMist

    RainbowsMist "There's a little kid in all of us..."

    Mar 20, 2006
    We've been going March Break for the past 5 years. Only once did I score a good deal late....and by late I mean it was a freak sale New Years Day.

    This year we have 6 of us and having that many people really through me for a loop when booking flights. Everything was geared towards 3 people. Once I hit the 4th person the flights sky rocketed. We've decided yet again to drive to the states and fly out of Manchester with Southwest. The moment our flights were released I grabbed them and since that day they have only gone up. Our flights are now $291 MORE per person than when I booked a month ago.

    Airfare pricing is based on supply and demand...the more the plane fills the more it drives the prices up and with March Break being such a busy time I honestly can't seem them going down at all....only going up.
  10. papertraveller

    papertraveller DIS Veteran

    Feb 14, 2009
    I'm the crazy lady in the neighbourhood. We book early.

    We are using our DVC membership to play host to family on a vacation next summer and I have been watching airfares out of YYZ carefully. (This is one family's first time traveling, and with small children I figured it would be best to simplify the process and go direct from home. They don't need to do the Buffalo shuffle for the first trip.)

    We pulled the trigger on our airfare about two weeks ago, and 10 days ago started telling family members it was time to decide on travel dates and commit. They naturally thought I was nuts.

    I felt like I was badgering, but finally one family of four buckled under the pressure (lol) and booked. Yesterday I was checking for another family, and discovered that the flight back home (on which now seven of us are booked) had risen by $70 a person.

    That means that we "saved" $110 per person on our booking, and they "saved" $70 a person. It does mean, of course, that the money is tied up now until next summer. But those prices only go higher.

    The other family is waiting to book on points, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Share This Page