Fish Oils as an Omega 3 Supplement

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
:crazy2: Can anybody report truly never having any issues with fishy after-taste? If so, what are you doing to achieve that miracle? I'm on a pretty huge dose (5 - 1,000 mg capsules/day) to treat high cholesterol because I refuse to take statins. The Omega 3 works wonders for it but it's sooooo hard to want to take it because it exacerbates my reflux and the taste is torture. Tips and tricks? I use a reputable brand-name product that's supposedly specially processed and coated, and already keep it in the freezer and take it with my largest meal of the day. TIA

I guy at the gym, turned me on t it, I was taking it, and after a bit, I noticed when I was working out hard on the treadmill my sweat smelled a little but funny. And the one thing you can never call me is stanky, I insist on smelling nice, so I threw the stuff away. Why dont you want to just take the prescription ?

Last edited:
I guy at the gym, turned me on t it, I was taking it, and after a bit, I noticed when I was working out hard on the treadmill my sweat smelled a little but funny. And the one thing you can never call me is stanky, I insist on smelling nice, so I threw the stuff away. Why dont you want to just take the prescription ?

I won’t answer for @ronandannette but I’d guess she has some sort of sensitivity. I don’t think I’d be able to take a fish pill, it sounds disgusting. I have a hard enough time taking my daily cranberry pill. It’s the biggest pill I’ve ever seen lol

I won’t answer for @ronandannette but I’d guess she has some sort of sensitivity. I don’t think I’d be able to take a fish pill, it sounds disgusting. I have a hard enough time taking my daily cranberry pill. It’s the biggest pill I’ve ever seen lol
The fish pills are admittedly disgusting but I'm quite positive I don't smell like them. #1 - I do not sweat, I glow and #2 - somebody around here would definitely "love me enough" to say something if I did. :rotfl2:

I'm taking them because honestly, even my doctor says they are extremely effective at resolving high cholesterol and my blood work verifies it. I refuse to take statin drugs, Crestor in particular, because the side effects (miserable joint paint and brain-fog) are more than I'm willing to deal with.

I started taking one 500mg / day when I was diagnosed with elevated Cholesterol. I couldn't imagine 5 x 1000mg. So far no fishy taste. But it is supposed to be "lemon flavored" to mask the taste. I am taking Spring Valley or something from Walmart.

I started taking one 500mg / day when I was diagnosed with elevated Cholesterol. I couldn't imagine 5 x 1000mg. So far no fishy taste. But it is supposed to be "lemon flavored" to mask the taste. I am taking Spring Valley or something from Walmart.
It is a huge dose, and I take it all at once. I could split them up into several doses but I'm not great at remembering pills and I'm sure I wouldn't get through them all that way.

:crazy2: Can anybody report truly never having any issues with fishy after-taste? If so, what are you doing to achieve that miracle? I'm on a pretty huge dose (5 - 1,000 mg capsules/day) to treat high cholesterol because I refuse to take statins. The Omega 3 works wonders for it but it's sooooo hard to want to take it because it exacerbates my reflux and the taste is torture. Tips and tricks? I use a reputable brand-name product that's supposedly specially processed and coated, and already keep it in the freezer and take it with my largest meal of the day. TIA
Would taking an Omega-3 supplement from non-fish sources be an option for you? Or, could you take smaller doses more frequently throughout the day instead of all at once?

Would taking an Omega-3 supplement from non-fish sources be an option for you? Or, could you take smaller doses more frequently throughout the day instead of all at once?
What other sources are good? I could google it, but if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them. The fish oil is what the doctor suggested but I'm sure any Omega 3 would be just as beneficial. I was probably posting at the same time as you regarding splitting the dose. I know myself and I just wouldn't take them all if I had to remember to do it 2 or three different times a day. I'm also currently on a schedule of intermittent fasting (it's really helping with my IBS - sorry, TMI). I basically only eat between noon and 7:00 pm and mostly only in one fairly heavy meal, so there's not a lot of opportunity to split the dose that way either.

I’ve been taking them for several years and also have reflux (GERD). You could try some different brands. I use a drug store house-brand that is labeled as “enteric coated”. No aftertaste and it works for me, but I’m only taking one pill a day. I previously took a prescription version; it was much more expensive (even with insurance), but then I switched and got the same results.

Have you tried a prescription fish oil? Because it is more highly concentrated than the OTC, you likely would have to take only one pill instead of 5. Another option is to try it in liquid form (OTC) by the spoonful, and you can mix it into food or juice to mask the taste. They also make it in fruit-flavored gummies.

I’ve been taking them for several years and also have reflux (GERD). You could try some different brands. I use a drug store house-brand that is labeled as “enteric coated”. No aftertaste and it works for me, but I’m only taking one pill a day. I previously took a prescription version; it was much more expensive (even with insurance), but then I switched and got the same results.

Have you tried a prescription fish oil? Because it is more highly concentrated than the OTC, you likely would have to take only one pill instead of 5. Another option is to try it in liquid form (OTC) by the spoonful, and you can mix it into food or juice to mask the taste. They also make it in fruit-flavored gummies.
I've never been offered a prescription for it; I'm not sure it's an option here. I've heard people say the liquid form is actually less after-tasty than the capsules but I don't know if I could make myself swallow it (it's sort of a mental block :blush: ).

What other sources are good? I could google it, but if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them. The fish oil is what the doctor suggested but I'm sure any Omega 3 would be just as beneficial. I was probably posting at the same time as you regarding splitting the dose. I know myself and I just wouldn't take them all if I had to remember to do it 2 or three different times a day. I'm also currently on a schedule of intermittent fasting (it's really helping with my IBS - sorry, TMI). I basically only eat between noon and 7:00 pm and mostly only in one fairly heavy meal, so there's not a lot of opportunity to split the dose that way either.
I googled for you. :laughing: It sounds like Omega-3 is comprised of three types of fatty acids — ALA, EPA, and DHA. ALA, which is found in flax, chia, hemp, greens, etc. actually converts into the other two forms within the body, but it’s apparently an inefficient process. EPA and DHA can be directly acquired from eating fish, though it can also be sourced from seaweed and algae. (Those marine plant sources being how the Omega-3s get into the fish food chain in the first place.) The EPA and DHA are what’s typically linked to cardiovascular health so I imagine you’d need an algae-based supplement, but that’s a question for your doctor to answer, obviously.

I googled for you. :laughing: It sounds like Omega-3 is comprised of three types of fatty acids — ALA, EPA, and DHA. ALA, which is found in flax, chia, hemp, greens, etc. actually converts into the other two forms within the body, but it’s apparently an inefficient process. EPA and DHA can be directly acquired from eating fish, though it can also be sourced from seaweed and algae. (Those marine plant sources being how the Omega-3s get into the fish food chain in the first place.) The EPA and DHA are what’s typically linked to cardiovascular health so I imagine you’d need an algae-based supplement, but that’s a question for your doctor to answer, obviously.
Thanks very much. My doctor, like most GP's, has no particular expertise in nutrition. He'd love it if I just took the statins. I'll do some research on my own though and your groundwork has given me a great direction to start in. :love2:

I've never been offered a prescription for it; I'm not sure it's an option here. I've heard people say the liquid form is actually less after-tasty than the capsules but I don't know if I could make myself swallow it (it's sort of a mental block :blush: ).

Sorry, I guess you have to experiment with what you can tolerate. I know it can be frustrating. You also have a combination of symptoms/conditions to consider. You might try seeing a dietitian who can help you come up with a personalized plan. Ask your doctor for a referral.

It doesn't sound like this is going to be a good long term solution for you. Have you talked to your doctor about trying non-flushing niacin? You could see if that works for you. And you can buy it OTC.

I will say this, as a long term cardiac nurse. Many people don't want to take statins. But the first thing that happens after they have a cardiac event is that they go on a very large dose of statins, and I've yet to see anyone refuse or complain, basically because they're so scared after what they just went through. Isn't it better to just work on prevention in a smaller dose?

I also think you need to look at the bigger picture, though, too, because cardiac health involves a lot of things. Lowering modifiable risk factors is always a good idea, and also something that people generally don't do, either, until they're forced to - like smoking, sedentary lifestyle, lowering stress levels, exercising, improving diet, etc. Unmodifiable risk factors there's not a lot we can do about, like age, gender, family history, health history, etc., but being aware of how it fits into your overal picture is wise, as well.

Good luck, girl, I know it's not easy.

Thanks very much. My doctor, like most GP's, has no particular expertise in nutrition. He'd love it if I just took the statins. I'll do some research on my own though and your groundwork has given me a great direction to start in. :love2:
I don't think it's as simple as that. He knows well that statins over many years have been shown to be effective in helping prevent cardiovascular events and improve outcome when an event does occur.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/articlepdf/2584057/jus160015.pdf
Not everyone has adverse symptoms on statins.

I do agree with an above poster that seeing an RD for nutrition guidance could be very helpful (and eye opening, since many of us aren't eating properly from a health perspective given food norms today in our western culture). One of the recommend diets for cardiac health is the Mediterranean diet.

It doesn't sound like this is going to be a good long term solution for you. Have you talked to your doctor about trying non-flushing niacin? You could see if that works for you. And you can buy it OTC.

I will say this, as a long term cardiac nurse. Many people don't want to take statins. But the first thing that happens after they have a cardiac event is that they go on a very large dose of statins, and I've yet to see anyone refuse or complain, basically because they're so scared after what they just went through. Isn't it better to just work on prevention in a smaller dose?

I also think you need to look at the bigger picture, though, too, because cardiac health involves a lot of things. Lowering modifiable risk factors is always a good idea, and also something that people generally don't do, either, until they're forced to - like smoking, sedentary lifestyle, lowering stress levels, exercising, improving diet, etc. Unmodifiable risk factors there's not a lot we can do about, like age, gender, family history, health history, etc., but being aware of how it fits into your overal picture is wise, as well.

Good luck, girl, I know it's not easy.
Very informative - thank you. I may ask my doctor about niacin (I've heard of this use for it before) but again, by his own admission he is far more familiar and comfortable with pharmaceuticals than supplements. FWIW, this is a new guy I'm seeing and at my recent physical he didn't even bother to mention my weight (20 pounds excess) or ask whether I was active or a smoker. I actually made a little joke about it and he responded with a blank stare.

Very informative - thank you. I may ask my doctor about niacin (I've heard of this use for it before) but again, by his own admission he is far more familiar and comfortable with pharmaceuticals than supplements. FWIW, this is a new guy I'm seeing and at my recent physical he didn't even bother to mention my weight (20 pounds excess) or ask whether I was active or a smoker. I actually made a little joke about it and he responded with a blank stare.
Niacin pre-dates statins, and as such, was prescribed before it was available OTC.

"In 1955, Altschul and colleagues described niacin as having a lipid-lowering property. As such, niacin is the oldest known lipid-lowering drug."

It is still prescribed and can be filled by a pharmacist, but oftentimes they'll tell you you may be able to get it cheaper OTC or find one that works better to prevent flushing (one of its biggest problems) in OTC brands, etc.

Funny niacin story. My mother was on it into her early 90s and taking the non-flushing kind. Was having some weird sensations so was sent to see a cardiologist, who promptly took her off it, saying "These are things we give you in your 50s to get you to your 90's - you don't need to be on it anymore", lol. And when she came off it her symptoms went away. I later realized she was taking more than she should've been, which made more sense.

I was on it at one time when my triglycerides were running high (family history - yup, we all have the same things everyone else does and have to make some of these decisions ourselves, too) and I never had a problem with it. Haven't been on anything for a long while as my numbers have been ok, thankfully. (Thank God for small favors!) DH has been on a few different things and has had some side effects but he stays on them as he does have a strong family history and our doctor is aggressive with prevention. He was taking fish oil capsules but he didn't like some of the side effects, I think he said they caused him to keep burping with a fish taste. :crazy2: I keep looking at the jar in the closet thinking I should probably take them myself, but I can't bring myself to try them as I wouldn't want to be stuck burping fish taste all day (or sweating fish smell), ugh.

I hear you as far as how you describe your doctor. Maybe he already had some of the information about your history that he reviewed before he met you? Discussing it would've been preferred, though, even if so. I think we sometimes need to take matters into our own hands with our own and our family's health care though, today, realistically. I've experienced it myself many times over, too. Heart health is one of the most studied things there is and there is a lot of good information out there on sites like the American Heart Association. We all know the drill. Following it, though, can be another matter. Very common.

I would also try different brands of fish oil. I take them every day and as long as I stick with CVS’s brand I don’t have any fishy taste, etc...

When I have bought other brands, however, I did notice a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!