First Visit

dbogen

Your wish is my command!
We just booked our first DVC room for May. What are the tip you can give to first timers. Is it really any different then the stays we are use to and the values and moderates?

Congratulations! My first stay as a DVC member was at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Enjoy your trip and take the time to explore whatever resort you're staying at.

The only real difference I've noticed is lack of daily mousekeeping. And really, that isn't an issue for most members.

Towels. You'll only get clean towels every four days. And you only get as many bath towels as beds. If you want more, you either buy more or wash them yourself. A towel pack is $6 - four bath towels, two hand towels, four face cloths and a tub mat. Leave the pool towels at the pool because they cost us member a lot more to launder with the body oils/lotions and other messes they clean up.

The main difference I notice is we come back from Disney feeling like we had a vacation rather than feeling like we need a vacation to recover from our trip. Since you know you have another trip in the future the urgency to ride and do everything because ‘you never know when you’ll be back’ is gone. We basically use our three fast passes each day, sleep really late, swim a ton and just relax. It’s great!

I don't think there is a huge difference as far as check in and accommodations are concerned. There is a big difference from a Boardwalk studio to a SSR studio, and likely any other studio on site. When you get back, I'd be interested in hearing what YOU think the differences are.

And the obvious difference would be in the hotels themselves. The deluxe truly are deluxe(although some would disagree with the new refurbs and stuff taking place). We stayed at BRV last year and we had always previously stayed at Moderates. The size of the resorts blew us away. We were used to HUGE moderates, with 20 min walks to get a refill. Even though the resorts are large, they are much more compact and easier to navigate. Bus service is better, IMO, because the volumn of people is already less than moderates/values. That being said, SSR is HUGE by delux standards so I do know it’s just a still a jaunt to get to HH(I think that’s the main building). We were upgraded to a 1 bdrm at SSR on our very 1st trip and brat me flipped out because we had booked the pirate rooms at CBR and my kids were sooooo sad because the deluxeness(stuffiness to them)of SSR wasn’t what I had been showing them for a year to get them excited. They moved us to CBR. Looking back, obvi I was crazy :teeth:
You’ll love the feeling you get at a deluxe as opposed to moderates/values. As someone else said, the whole mindset changes and it actually turns into a relaxing vacation in the DVC. Have fun and report back!

I don't think there is a huge difference as far as check in and accommodations are concerned. There is a big difference from a Boardwalk studio to a SSR studio, and likely any other studio on site. When you get back, I'd be interested in hearing what YOU think the differences are.
Other than BWV has a murphy bed in the studio and SSR currently does not, but may in the future, there is very little difference between the two studios. They have nearly identical layouts.

Other than BWV has a murphy bed in the studio and SSR currently does not, but may in the future, there is very little difference between the two studios. They have nearly identical layouts.

I was referring more to the overall experience. You drive up to Boardwalk and you are met by valet parking and bell services, whereas at SSR, you will get to your accommodations by car. I agree, the layout of the studios is similar.

Our first stay was a split stay at VGF and BCV. We were super impressed with kitchen and 1BDRM spacexay both. Biggest difference was trash and towel service as others have mentioned. But overall we were thrilled with our purchase.

Bring coffee (maybe pods are easier), sugar and creamer, and filters-you don't get daily replenishment.

:welcome: Home and Much pixiedust:

As PP stated you know you will be coming back soon, so do not plan a trip that is go go go. You will find things about each resort that you like and that is part of the DVC experience. Take the time to do something you have never done before, start looking at the things outside parks. After 20 years of DVC you will tire of the parks and want to do something else, if you start doing things outside the parks now the time in the parks will last longer.

I think everyone here has provided all the same responses I would give, like you don't get daily Mousekeeping, though for me that was never a big deal. If you run out of something, like coffee, you can ask housekeeping or call the front desk. The best point that others made is that the trip will feel less rushed because you own DVC and know that you will be back. I find owning DVC allowed me to really enjoy the resorts more then the parks. Since you don't have the need to hit the parks to see everything, you will find all the great things at the resorts and enjoy the parks at a slower pace. As someone else mentioned, please report back after the trip to what you thought was different. Have a great 1st trip!

They don't have food courts. Many don't realize or understand that until they are there, and are frustrated that they are staying in a deluxe resort and have such limited dining options. Deluxe resorts are more geared to those who can afford daily TS and room service, rather food courts. So read up on what food options are available, and plan ahead. Eating at WDW is getting crazy high.
I do bacon & eggs in the microwave in the morning, and have a clementine or 2 or V-8, and maybe toast. That way my day has started off with protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, etc, healthy stomach-filling meal that will last. I also carry peanut butter crackers and/or nut packs in my park bag for protein-rich snacks.
Buses at deluxe are not better than buses at value or moderate, usually worse. Value has the best food courts and buses.
Really explore and enjoy and get to know the resort you are in. You will probably try a different one each year for the next 10-12 years, so enjoy, relax, and know you are in a good place. Welcome!

Welcome! Consider pool hopping, if your dates aren' t on the block-out list and if your family might enjoy.

Thank you all for your responses. My son and his fiance have decided to get married in Disney this December. I think I will be spending this trip exploring my rehearsal dinner options and getting excited for their big day. :)

Is it really any different then the stays we are use to and the values and moderates?
The main difference from the values are at the Deluxe resorts you will have a TS restaurant, only QS locations at value resorts. The room size will be larger than both the value/mod. Having the kitchenette is a huge bonus -- you can use this to help offset some food costs. You have a microwave, toaster and mini fridge so super easy to make a decent breakfast. You can look into some grocery delivery options - I like amazon prime now.

There will be no daily mousekeeping. They will do their security checks/ grab trash but no daily bed/towel service. Depending on your length of stay trash and towel service will happen on day 4. If you need additional towels etc you can request a towel pack for a price (not sure how much).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter