First timer at Universal (going to HHN). Have a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyliscious

DIS Veteran
After being a 3+ decade 100% loyal customer to Disney (no Seaworld, no Universal, no Busch Gardens, heck, not even Alligator Land), we have decided to go to the dark side. Disney prices are just so ridiculous anymore that we now see more value in other options. Me and my SO will be visiting in late October and want to visit US BUT we have opted to use a HHN ticket to do this. We really aren't interested in the haunted houses and scare stuff so we plan to ride the rides that are available instead. Our main reason for doing this is that tickets are less than HALF the price of a Disney Halloween party and for more than DOUBLE the hours, and also because the event is held at night which will be cooler. I've done a fair amount of research but still have a few lingering questions:

We are not staying on site.
We will not be getting Express pass.

1) I see that the HP restaurant doesn't appear to be open during HHN but will there be any other place to try Butterbeer?
2) I do see Escape from Gringotts will be open but will there be any shops open in the HP area as well?
3) I've seen reports that HHN lasts until "midnight", "1am", or "2am". Which is it and why does it vary?
4) Are dining reservations available or recommended during HHN? I'd LOVE to visit Monsters Cafe but I imagine it will be packed. Do they have a wait list to get on once we get there?
5) We hope to ride Gringotts, MIB, Fast and Furious, Transformers and eat dinner in the park that evening. Does this sound realistic if we arrive prior to gate opening?

Thanks so much!

I hope the US parks are as empty as their forums are. Six hours and 76 views later and still not one single answer.

I hope the US parks are as empty as their forums are. Six hours and 76 views later and still not one single answer.

Not as many of us have gone to HHN, and any knowledge of the event will come from posters from 2019...it's just a harder set of questions to answer...

I myself have been to Universal (and Disney) many times, but I've never done their fall parties, or I'd help...

LOL nope. Parks are busy and expected to be busy for HHN 30. I’m guessing that the butter beer carts will be open. We haven’t been to HHN since 2018 and had express and concentrated on houses. I think your plan is ok, but I would plan on getting there early. The sea of people pre COVID going in for HHN was massive. So much larger then I ever saw going into a Disney Halloween party. We are going expecting massive crowds, but like you will be happy if they don’t materialize. Have fun

Here is the thread to track for 2021: https://www.disboards.com/threads/30-years-counting-hhn-2021-xxx-let’s-stick-this-one.3828923/

When I go to Orlando, it is always October. In 2019, for HHN, I noted the following:

1. Butterbeer carts or kiosks were available.
2. Some shops were open
3. Use the official thread above for hours.
4. There is limited dining available. It is best to eat in advance of the houses opening. There are food kiosks, special events and some QS options. There are some specialty QS options at specialty kiosks.
5. Eat as soon as you arrive. Some reservations may be available with a HHN ticket. Your goals are certainly realistic within the time frame, even without Express.

This is just one person's opinion from over here on the "Dark Side". There are many here who attend multiple HHN nights in one season and some of us do the special tours etc. You will hear from more of us.

The link agavegirl posted is a good one.

Many of us who go regularly will post on it. Many newbies ask questions there.

I`m guessing no-one who go regularly like myself were reading last night or you would have got answers.

The food options as said above are very limited and usually very busy, this year will be even busier and you may find you`ll be waiting a while for food, eat before you go or as soon as you arrrive is good advice. Even getting a drink at Finnegans last time, the line was almost out the door. It`s extremely busy.

Welcome to the Darkside !

peeps are more laid back in our forums
Some theads run faster then others
So replies are at times are staggered

it’s how we roll here ...no need to slam us

Many go to hhn not for the rides but the atmosphere of the yearly events.

The UO threads have spurts of traffic at different times
Not everyone has the love for the hard ticket event

hhn threads pick up quickly once all the house info is complete
it’s a dedicated event for the die hard repeat homies that live and breathe hhn

We are the Red headed step kids when it comes to
Hhn

read 2019 hhn threads to get an idea of what you
can expect for 2021

Oh and why the different closing times, it’s when they think more people, so weekend hours are almost always longer.

And as a not always going to HHN every night person, I can tell you, at least the years I have been during HHN, there is a huge, steady stream of people coming from the parking garage area, heading to the Studios, starting around 3 pm. See, in the past, if you were already in the park, you could stay in holding areas, where they check your HHN ticket when you enter. You can then wait there, as park closes and sets up for the night. Then you get released as the time for HHN starts. Many use it, as some of those holding areas give you a good jump on getting ahead of the crowds to a house or two.

Yep, follow the HHN stickie at the top of this forum. Keisha does a great job of keeping up with what is currently going on with HHN news.

And, in the past, Monster Cafe, was a separate hard ticket meal that you had to reserve for a night, and I think you had to also had to have a HHN ticket to book it. I don’t think it was open during the party otherwise. And if you are lucky to get a Finnegan’s reservation during HHN time, good for you. That restaurant is next to a holding area, or was, and it gets crazy busy around that restaurant, as bar inside also open. What restaurants and what will be available will be more clear as we get closer to September. As no HHN last year, what was done in 2019 and before, all of us can tell you of our past what happens. But all unknown this year, given the virus practices that still may be in play, and the fact that last year, they did sell tickets early, and then, while in the past not refundable, allowed those who bought, to get a refund or save, and allowed to be used this year. And from the HHN stickie, you can see, many are hoping to see tickets that were available in the past.

And I can’t remember which rides were open in the past. I know Gringotts, RRR, Fallon, Mummy and MIB were. I’m sure you will hear of what rides are open as HHN starts at the beginning of September.

And welcome to the dark side. I expect this year’s HHN nights will be crazy busy. There are many that meet up to go. Me included. If you do go, know the busiest nights will surely be weekend nights. Pick a Thursday, would be I think, less crowded.

And, in the past, Monster Cafe, was a separate hard ticket meal that you had to reserve for a night, and I think you had to also had to have a HHN ticket to book it. I don’t think it was open during the party otherwise.

They do open back up about an hour after the Scareactor Dining is over.

We don`t eat there, but we drop in for cold drink usually during HHN. It`s counter service so no reservations required.

Last edited:
I know you said you aren’t interested in Haunted Houses or scary stuff just keep in mind that (if anything like 2019) you will have to pass scare zones to get to the rides and may find someone scaring you or chasing you with a chainsaw. Here’s is a bad copy of my event guide from 2019. It shows what eating places were open back then and the 7 rides that were open.

Attachments

• F261DE73-151D-43E8-AE0B-403C5607E7F8.jpeg
    F261DE73-151D-43E8-AE0B-403C5607E7F8.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DAE781DD-D848-49A3-9C19-7CCB89C6685C.jpeg
    DAE781DD-D848-49A3-9C19-7CCB89C6685C.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 9EB37D46-1272-4EFC-B1F9-4CAB5B4A6FC6.jpeg
    9EB37D46-1272-4EFC-B1F9-4CAB5B4A6FC6.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, my experience with Halloween Horror nights (after attending one night in 2018 in early October, mid week, not even the weekend or close to actual Halloween) is basically that I wouldn't do it again without an express pass. I left there at 2am having made it through 4 haunted houses (probably 15 minutes of entertainment for 4+ hours of walking through lines in an endless sea of humanity. Absolute wall to wall people, unlike what you saw during the day which was a lot more subdued.

And don't think going to HHN is an attractive alternative to more easily get on the regular rides- the waits were far worse than during the day. 90 minutes and the like for things like Hollywood Rip Rocket, which was generally do-able for less than 30 minutes any given time during the day. If you want to just go on rides- do that during the day when crowds are actually probably going to a be a little lighter than the norm, since most visitors that time ARE there to hit up HHN.

And if you are lucky to get a Finnegan’s reservation during HHN time, good for you.
Last couple of years I went, they wouldn't take ressies....just take your name when you arrive - first come first served waitlist. They also were asking a lot of people to please share tables with other parties, due to the demand and seating those who were willing to do so much faster.

Be neat to offer a dinner package style add on...something like WDW does for their candlelight procession: call it "dine and dash" lol...guaranteed dinner reservation with preferred spot in the Stay & Scream corral. Bet they'd sell out of those super quickl

The Darkside sections of the disboards, are not the red headed step children.

They are a solid group and don’t need to be insulted or bashed

This section of the Dis has my full support and bashing of them will not continue

This thread is closed.
Reopening of closed threads has its consequences

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter