First time MaxPass user...Help with tips and how to use.

kelly3kids

Mouseketeer
We will be heading to DL in July. We are DVC members. We have been exploring other places with Disney for the last few years and haven't been to DL for 3 years. I am so excited and anxious about MaxPass.

We have a 13 yr old with his own phone and he will be doing somethings alone with his brother. I have no idea how MaxPass works even with reading the Disney website. Will it work for my husband, son and myself to use our phones if we split up?

How do you get the FP on MaxPass? That seems like just a rookie question, sorry. We always take advantage of EMH because we are morning people. Then head back for a rest midday and back to the park at night.

I am a planner so not knowing anything about how to use MaxPass is stressing me out. :)

Check out Disneyland Daily for detailed instructions for how to get your MP FPs and the rules for timing on when you can make your next selections. She does a great job of explaining it. My tips are to pull your first selection as soon as you tap into the gates for the day and keep pulling new ones as soon as you are able to. Keep track of which attractions “sell out” sooner than others and try to plan to grab those first. You figure this out by stalking FP return times on the app before your trip. Another user also recently had a detailed post with screen shots of FP availability at different times during the day, which should also be useful to figure out which rides to prioritize.

Check out Disneyland Daily for detailed instructions for how to get your MP FPs and the rules for timing on when you can make your next selections. She does a great job of explaining it. My tips are to pull your first selection as soon as you tap into the gates for the day and keep pulling new ones as soon as you are able to. Keep track of which attractions “sell out” sooner than others and try to plan to grab those first. You figure this out by stalking FP return times on the app before your trip. Another user also recently had a detailed post with screen shots of FP availability at different times during the day, which should also be useful to figure out which rides to prioritize.
I just watched Casey’s videos this week. She does a nice job. Good idea about having other family members watch.

Just a reminder for anyone new to the FP/MP game:
Whether you have free FP or MP, just remember that there will be two lines at the rides that have FP/MP: the regular standby line (i.e. for those who do NOT have FP/MP) and the FP/MP line. Make it easy on yourself and remember which line is yours! :) If you have a FP/MP, get in that line and be ready to scan your paper ticket or the ticket on your phone at any/all scanners in that line. Be aware that there may be more than one scanner before you board the ride! If you do not have a FP/MP for that particular ride, get in the standby line. Can't tell you how many times this weekend we stood in backed up FP/MP lines because multiple parties did not know which line to get in, had no FP/MP, blocked lines while arguing with CMs about having no FP/MP, blocked all the scanners with their entire party while trying to find their tickets, etc. The IASW FP/MP line went all the way back to the gift shop and took almost 35 minutes because of all the non-FP guests and the confusion they caused! I stopped counting after 7 parties had to be let out of the lines at the scanners (after arguing, of course). Finally someone posted a CM at the line entrance to help guests find the right line -- this helped get the lines organized and moving along smoothly. Same with HSM -- don't know why guests still think they can try to cut into the FP/MP line after the first scanner. Yes, you will be caught at the second scanner and be sent back to the end of the standby line. At that point, it would have been better just to try single rider than to attempt to cut into the FP/MP line.

Last edited:
Just a reminder for anyone new to the FP/MP game:
Whether you have free FP or MP, just remember that there will be two lines at the rides that have FP/MP: the regular standby line (i.e. for those who do NOT have FP/MP) and the FP/MP line. Make it easy on yourself and remember which line is yours! :) If you have a FP/MP, get in that line and be ready to scan your paper ticket or the ticket on your phone at any/all scanners in that line. Be aware that there may be more than one scanner before you board the ride! If you do not have a FP/MP for that particular ride, get in the standby line. Can't tell you how many times this weekend we stood in backed up FP/MP lines because multiple parties did not know which line to get in, had no FP/MP, blocked lines while arguing with CMs about having no FP/MP, blocked all the scanners with their entire party while trying to find their tickets, etc. The IASW FP/MP line went all the way back to the gift shop and took almost 35 minutes because of all the non-FP guests and the confusion they caused! I stopped counting after 7 parties had to be let out of the lines at the scanners (after arguing, of course). Finally someone posted a CM at the line entrance to help guests find the right line -- this helped get the lines organized and moving along smoothly. Same with HSM -- don't know why guests still think they can try to cut into the FP/MP line after the first scanner. Yes, you will be caught at the second scanner and be sent back to the end of the standby line. At that point, it would have been better just to try single rider than to attempt to cut into the FP/MP line.
I felt the iasw FP line was hard to figure out. I relied on the person there telling me which line to get in. Is it better marked now than it was in the spring?

Last edited by a moderator:

Our last visit was our first using MaxPass and it's pretty easy to navigate once you get used to it. Outside of what has already been offered make sure to take advantage of it if you leave the parks for a mid day break as you can still book fast passes using the app outside the park. We did this a few days when we were back at our hotel and returned with several fast passes to use!

My main piece of advice on MP is this ... on the DL app, you have the ability to assign each person in your party a ticket by ticket number before you ever enter the park. If you do this, be VERY SURE the person who scans you in on your first morning at the park assigns the correct ticket to the correct person. The CM who admitted us the first morning said, "Oh, it doesn't matter since you're all adults." But when our group split up later in the day, this seriously messed with our MPs because it assigned the MPs to the wrong person. Most of the time it worked out fine because all the passes show on everyone's phone, but once when I had a "any attraction" MP, it ended up being used by default when my daughter went to Space, leaving me with a Space when I tried to get in line for Indy.

We will be heading to DL in July. We are DVC members. We have been exploring other places with Disney for the last few years and haven't been to DL for 3 years. I am so excited and anxious about MaxPass.

We have a 13 yr old with his own phone and he will be doing somethings alone with his brother. I have no idea how MaxPass works even with reading the Disney website. Will it work for my husband, son and myself to use our phones if we split up?

How do you get the FP on MaxPass? That seems like just a rookie question, sorry. We always take advantage of EMH because we are morning people. Then head back for a rest midday and back to the park at night.

I am a planner so not knowing anything about how to use MaxPass is stressing me out. :)
What is Max Pass?

I felt the iasw FP line was hard to figure out. I relied on the person there telling me which line to get in. Is it better marked now than it was in the spring?

The sign for the ride has "Stand By" above the line on the right side and "Fast Pass" above the line on the left. It looked straightforward to me. But not everyone looks up at the sign or reads it before getting in line, apparently.

It is an add-on you can pay for at DLR for $10 per day per person which allows you to book FPs through yoru smartphone using the DLR app. It also includes free access to all ride photos and PhotoPass photographers.

:wizard:
Okay so it sounds like what you get at WDW but there isn't a charge.

Have your credit card in the app already and know what the security code is. You’ll have to enter the security code when you purchase Maxpass.

This is how I used it (dont know if it was the right way)
As soon as you enter the parks, and get your tickets scanned.... I opened the APP and purchased my MAXX PASS FOR THE DAY
If you are going to split up, make sure that every person has their app on their phone and with their tickets scanned on their app.That way your, your husband and your son can each get their fastpass on their own.

You can book Fastpasses on the go on your phone according to the attractions you want to use or the most popular ones

Two great perks with MP that make it different from paper FP: 90 minute window (vs. 120 w/paper FP) to get a new FP and the ability to get a cancelled MP that another guest returned to the pool. Those extra 30 minute intervals can add up throughout the day if you keep booking new FPs. And it's always such a fun treat and surprise to have a FP pop up on your phone for a ride you thought had no more FPs for the day.

Now, do these perks make it necessary to have MP for a successful day at DLR? NO! I love that it is absolutely possible to use the free paper FPs and still have a great time. It all depends on your touring style and budget. As long as you have good planning and organization, either FP method can work really well for you. (Or neither -- we have friends who still don't use FP at all because they aren't at the stage yet where they ride FP rides. And when their families get to that stage, then they will have to readjust their touring style. But for now, no FP works for them!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter