Fears about the Hollywood Studios announcement

Do you think that DHS distributes enough people that they would be worried about the other remaining parks being overcrowded? Perhaps with one park closed, those folks might redistribute themselves in the water parks or Disney Springs. Even so, it would only be for a short time.

Have you been to Disney Springs lately? If anything they need to finish construction there to alleviate the congestion.

Money / annoyances / shareholders aside, I'd still leave the park open. There's some people who only go do WDW once in their life and want to experience Tower of Terror, Rock N Rollercoaster, TSMWM, Star Tours and Fantasmic and the other attractions / shows that are open. Those people probably don't care if there are 4 open attractions in DHS or 40.

I have two worries for Hollywood Studios.

1. They may not even announce anything this weekend extensively

2. it's not going to be ambitious enough.

Saying that, i am going next September for the first time in 6 years and im a little gutted that HS will be pretty much bulldozed when i go

Have you been to Disney Springs lately? If anything they need to finish construction there to alleviate the congestion.

Money / annoyances / shareholders aside, I'd still leave the park open. There's some people who only go do WDW once in their life and want to experience Tower of Terror, Rock N Rollercoaster, TSMWM, Star Tours and Fantasmic and the other attractions / shows that are open. Those people probably don't care if there are 4 open attractions in DHS or 40.
Disney springs has gotten a lot better. The parking situation is better because the first garage is now completely done. The major work is happening in the town center area where there isn't even guest access and used to be a parking lot. In the landing you have a few restaurants still being built and then in the marketplace you have the world of Disney expansion.

I am very optimistic about tomorrow's announcements. Disney is very much aware of the concern people have about DHS, about how much they want more Star Wars, how many people they are losing to Harry Potter at Universal, and how much all of these changes will affect the bottom line. The renewed interest that detailed announcements will give the parks is well worth it. I think we will see very detailed announcements on the changes coming to this park.

As to ride clones, keep in mind that it will be faster to build something they already have experience with than to build something completely new and work the kinks out. I am in favor of clones, as long as we get at least one or two originals in addition.

The only thing I am afraid of losing is Muppets. :)

Disney springs has gotten a lot better. The parking situation is better because the first garage is now completely done. The major work is happening in the town center area where there isn't even guest access and used to be a parking lot. In the landing you have a few restaurants still being built and then in the marketplace you have the world of Disney expansion.
What about the traffic and that bottleneck where Pleasure Island used to be? That was our biggest issue when we went this past March. We did like that parking garage even if it did take a while to get to it. :)

What about the traffic and that bottleneck where Pleasure Island used to be? That was our biggest issue when we went this past March. We did like that parking garage even if it did take a while to get to it. :)
Better that is the area now called the landing

I'm expecting HUGE announcements from Disney regarding all the WONDERFUL things they're going to do (the PR from which will be copy/pasted verbatim in all the press over the next few years). But buried within all the hyperbole will be timescales stretching over many, many years. (I have to say my expectations are dampened by the New Fantasyland project - and the reality that the most expensive ride was delivered last).

So when Disney say "staggered opening from 2017" , they actually mean "two gift shops, a themed restaurant and the restrooms will open December 2017 - with the cool stuff starting to open in 2020"

I wouldn't expect any major rides within that timeframe. The TSMM expansion should be done by then. They haven't even started anything else, and early 2017 is only a year and a half away. I think stuff will be phase in, so maybe some simpler things (what I don't know) will come in first. I would expect 2020/21 so as not to be very disappointed.

DHS is kind of getting so bad now, that I don't know if it could get worse. I am very optimistic about the possible changes, maybe not the announcement though. They may not announce squat. Anything they do is probably better than what's there now or will be there once all of the announced and rumored closures take effect.

Hate to be Mr negative, but of course it can get worse. They've not even started construction yet - once they do no doubt whole areas will be closed. Also, what few attractions are left open will no doubt sooner or later need maintenance at some point in the next couple of years. Imagine tower of terror being down for maintenance, and maybe TSM or RNR having unplanned downtime as well. Whats left?!

Now that we have heard many announcements (not saying all until D23 is over). Both of the announced section are sure to be wonderful but leave me wanting.

So much of Star Wars Land is perfect but I'm not sure it fits perfectly into the park, either park for that matter. Look at the front of Star Tours it's well themed because it a scene from Star Wars but the back of all the trees are missing so it still tells you this is a set; as an aside I'm think the front of Star Tours is going to change and Tatooine Traders is going to retheme. I'm sure the transitions are going to be smooth and beautiful but having such heavily themed areas is taking away from Studios overall feel. A few aspects also give me pause. First is the Millennium Falcon ride, if each rider gets to take control and have their own personal experience what is going to be the hourly flow. With only 4 new attractions announced and the loss of 4 at least how is the park flow effected. Second, the Millennium Falcon itself. They show a replica sitting outside but I can only imagine it being cordoned off for a photo op. I also fear a little for the staff of this area, if they are going to be aliens and droids I can't imagine them having to be in Florida heat. Also how is communication going to work without breaking the mythos.

As for Toy Story Land, I am disappointed. First, limiting it to only one property when there is so much goodness in Pixar seems like a mistake. I feel like this tendency towards making these strict theme immersive lands is an over reaction to Harry Potter. The 5 original lands of Disney were generalizations which could house many things without trouble, but now we lose that. Secondly, only 2 rides announced (but there does seem to be room for more). Many have stated the need for DHS to have some C ticket rides to help flesh out the park but we only get 1. And that one seems to either be bumper cars or Luigi's Flying Tires which is being redone right now. The coaster seems like a nice addition but it's outdoors. I fear for all the unused FPs when the summer rains come around. I would of rather of seen 2 dark rides instead of the coaster. I wish the promotional art was bigger tho. I really want to know what that boardgame area is.

I do expect that there will be some more detailed announcements which will address some of my concerns but these were my gut reaction thoughts.

I am excited about the announcements today of the additions of Toy Story and Star Wars lands to DHS.
(I was quietly hoping for Cars land)
DHS has never been a full day park for DS and I.

Money / annoyances / shareholders aside, I'd still leave the park open. There's some people who only go do WDW once in their life and want to experience Tower of Terror, Rock N Rollercoaster, TSMWM, Star Tours and Fantasmic and the other attractions / shows that are open.

It would be advantageous if they closed DHS to construct the 2 new Lands, but will never happen. I agree, there are people that only go to WDW once and should be able to experience what is open there. Also, Star Wars Weekends attracts droves of fans each year to DHS.

As for Toy Story Land, I am disappointed. First, limiting it to only one property when there is so much goodness in Pixar seems like a mistake. I feel like this tendency towards making these strict theme immersive lands is an over reaction to Harry Potter.

I can see that. I was hoping for a Pixar Place type of themed land. That could still happen in the future, however Pixar has two tentpoles for longevity: Toy Story (20 years old and still going strong) and Cars (not as popular in theaters, but their bread and butter in the toy departments). Since Cars has already been done, I can see why they chose Toy Story.

And I'm so glad CarsLand isn't coming to DHS - we loved it at DLR, it was fantastic and Radiator Springs Racers was the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering, but not everything needs to be duplicated for both parks. CarsLand was the reason we made the trip out to California we wanted our kids to see it while they were still at the ages where it was amazing to them and not just fun for nostalgic purposes. If everything is the same in both parks, there's not much reason to go to the one on the other coast.

Everything will keep evolving. I can easily see - years down the road - when it's time to refresh the Toy Story area, adding in a few other Pixar themed rides/shows and changing the name of the Land to give it a facelift. In the meantime, I'll take Toy Story - it and Star Wars are at least giving the park a much needed makeover.

Hopefully next year we'll be getting huge announcements about Epcot's future (since everyone will turn on it next, with the lack of expansions, compared to the other parks).

Whilst toy story land has potential, I really hope they think this one through carefully. Toy story in DCA and WDS are both pretty poor as far as immersive theming goes.

I am excited about the announcements today of the additions of Toy Story and Star Wars lands to DHS.
(I was quietly hoping for Cars land)
DHS has never been a full day park for DS and I.

It would be advantageous if they closed DHS to construct the 2 new Lands, but will never happen. I agree, there are people that only go to WDW once and should be able to experience what is open there. Also, Star Wars Weekends attracts droves of fans each year to DHS.

How much faster would they have the 2 new lands done if they shut down the parks? Anything more than a few months and it's probably not worth it for them from a cost/benefit analysis. And I think if they did shut DHS down they would have to do it far enough in advance to let vacationers who planned to visit the park know. It couldn't be a Malestrom type deal where they go "We are shutting it down in a 3 weeks".

No matter what, I'm super pumped for the new lands and cannot wait until they are done. Between the recent expansion in MK, Disney Springs and when Animal Kingdom expansion opens they have done a huge amount in Florida to keep it current and awesome.

First is the Millennium Falcon ride, if each rider gets to take control and have their own personal experience what is going to be the hourly flow.

My mental concept of this ride is something like Mission Space, where there would be 4 or so people per vehicle and each individual person would have a task they have to do. Unlike Mission: Space, perhaps the tasks you do would affect the outcome of the ride.

With only 4 new attractions announced and the loss of 4 at least how is the park flow effected.

I think - and this is a problem with how they sold it - that though there are only two "rides" there will be much more attractions to these lands. If you think about the typical footprint of a ride - the rides themselves might take up 2-4 acres of space. That means more than half the land won't be rides - but will instead be experience. Consider it to be the "Harry Potter" effect - or "Carsland" effect if you will. It costs $300 million to build a ride. It costs $25 million to build a candy shop. Or a wand shop. And those make you MORE money, because people BUY things in them. So if you make two rides, but have some shows, and a restaurant, a couple of well-themed meet and greets - or even just have some "walk around" characters - and some highly themed shopping....people spend 3-4 hours there, they're thrilled. Right?

As for Toy Story Land, I am disappointed. First, limiting it to only one property when there is so much goodness in Pixar seems like a mistake. I feel like this tendency towards making these strict theme immersive lands is an over reaction to Harry Potter.

I do agree that I wish it was more of overall Pixar theme, but again, this is the way of theming. And it's not just Harry Potter, think Carsland, think the new Arendell landing at Disneysea. Think Pirates Cove in Shanghai, a land devoted to Pirates of the Carribean. It's not uncommon, and it's what they are really looking to do at DHS. Even though they didn't announce a name change, they hinted at the mantra around that park - I paraphrase, but it was said "It's no longer looking at what goes behind the scenes of movies, but about putting "into" the experience of the movies.

I would say I have three pieces of disappointment, two minor and one major but expected. The minor one - I would've liked to see at least THREE rides in Toy Story land, especially if one is essentially Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. The Slinky Dog Coaster actually looks awesome. I know there's some complaint about it being "too kiddy", but based on the artists renderings, it looks like it's got some length to it. If it can be something simialar to 7DMT but maybe about 60 seconds longer, I think that'll be great. And again, you can bet there will be themed experiences as well. There will be some sort of restaurant - maybe a TRUE Pizza Planet, maybe something else. There will be shops, there will be Meet and Greets.

My second one: No big picture. Realistically, TWO theme lands encompassing 25 total acres is pretty good - but the whole park is listed at 135 acres. With how much of the parks seems to be being abandoned, it seems like we have about another 30-40 acres to go. No name change announcement either

And that brings me to MY major disappointment, which is not a surprise at all - no timeline, except that it will be many YEARS. No overall picture says these two projects will probably not be it, but boy would I like to have an idea how long this is going to drag out.

Agree that it's going to be years. In Disneyland they aren't even starting construction for Star Wars land until 2017
Wonder if it will take them that long to begin at DHS.

How much faster would they have the 2 new lands done if they shut down the parks? Anything more than a few months and it's probably not worth it for them from a cost/benefit analysis. And I think if they did shut DHS down they would have to do it far enough in advance to let vacationers who planned to visit the park know. It couldn't be a Malestrom type deal where they go "We are shutting it down in a 3 weeks".

No matter what, I'm super pumped for the new lands and cannot wait until they are done. Between the recent expansion in MK, Disney Springs and when Animal Kingdom expansion opens they have done a huge amount in Florida to keep it current and awesome.

Disney should talk to Universal's contractors if they haven't already. Uni announces, they build, we ride in a lot less time than Disney takes.

And that brings me to MY major disappointment, which is not a surprise at all - no timeline, except that it will be many YEARS. No overall picture says these two projects will probably not be it, but boy would I like to have an idea how long this is going to drag out.

This is a top level reveal... one should not expect timelines here or any time soon. They will hold the timelines until the last possible moment -- likely within 45 days or so of any opening. The hype just sells more rooms / tickets / general attendance that way. Revealing a timeline would only hurt as then ppl (and reselling companies) would try to book to the timeline or hoard key dates for profit. For Disney to give out ideas on a timeline now would be foolish.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter