Fall 2021 ABD River Cruises

It sounded like to me, from the reasoning given in the letter that was posted, that Amsterdam could be added back for future trips if it was no longer a level 4 country.
Which makes planning flights even more difficult. I saw that the shipyard tour is cancelled, too. That was the reason we booked this cruise. I'm going to have my TA call again next week, and let's see what they say now that they have info for the Aug cruise. The one good thing is vaccination. Happy to see that.

Which makes planning flights even more difficult. I saw that the shipyard tour is cancelled, too. That was the reason we booked this cruise. I'm going to have my TA call again next week, and let's see what they say now that they have info for the Aug cruise. The one good thing is vaccination. Happy to see that.
My wife and I are on the September 30 Rhine river cruise. Our PIF date was the 28th. I asked our TA about the trip after I saw the changes for the August cruise and she checked with ABD. They said no changes to ours at that time, so we went ahead and paid. Then on the 29th, a day after our payment was due, I got an email telling me that all the changes for the August cruise also apply to mine. I’m not happy with this late change. The shipyard tour was the primary reason we booked this, which is our first ABD trip. Seeing how this was handled, I don’t think I’ll book another. We had also booked the Amsterdam short escape after the cruise. No mention of that in the email, but I would assume it is cancelled and I’ll get a full refund.

We are supposed to call by Monday to confirm that we will still be traveling or to discuss modifying to another date. I would prefer to get a full refund, but I don’t know that they are allowing that.

We were originally booked on this cruise in early July and had moved to September to give things more time to get back to “normal”

My wife and I are on the September 30 Rhine river cruise. Our PIF date was the 28th. I asked our TA about the trip after I saw the changes for the August cruise and she checked with ABD. They said no changes to ours at that time, so we went ahead and paid. Then on the 29th, a day after our payment was due, I got an email telling me that all the changes for the August cruise also apply to mine. I’m not happy with this late change. The shipyard tour was the primary reason we booked this, which is our first ABD trip. Seeing how this was handled, I don’t think I’ll book another. We had also booked the Amsterdam short escape after the cruise. No mention of that in the email, but I would assume it is cancelled and I’ll get a full refund.

We are supposed to call by Monday to confirm that we will still be traveling or to discuss modifying to another date. I would prefer to get a full refund, but I don’t know that they are allowing that.

We were originally booked on this cruise in early July and had moved to September to give things more time to get back to “normal”
OK, that really, REALLY sucks! I can't believe they did that the DAY AFTER you PIF, especially since you'd asked. I totally don't buy it's a coincidence. They HAD to have had some idea on the 28th that this was happening. I am, quite frankly, appalled. If I was you, if they don't allow you a full refund, I'd consider legal action (assuming you have documentation or your TA would attest to what happened). That is totally unacceptable. They've been pretty sketchy MANY times since lockdown, but this smacks of outright fraud.

ETA: I just wanted to add, I totally don't blame this on the Vacationista that your TA talked to. They only know what they are told. But *someone*, knowing that the PIF date was the 28th, should have told the Vacationistas this was coming. They HAD to have known.

Sayhello

Last edited:

OK, that really, REALLY sucks! I can't believe they did that the DAY AFTER you PIF, especially since you'd asked. I totally don't buy it's a coincidence. They HAD to have had some idea on the 28th that this was happening. I am, quite frankly, appalled. If I was you, if they don't allow you a full refund, I'd consider legal action (assuming you have documentation or your TA would attest to what happened). That is totally unacceptable. They've been pretty sketchy MANY times since lockdown, but this smacks of outright fraud.

ETA: I just wanted to add, I totally don't blame this on the Vacationista that your TA talked to. They only know what they are told. But *someone*, knowing that the PIF date was the 28th, should have told the Vacationistas this was coming. They HAD to have known.

Sayhello
I absolutely 100% agree with SayHello. I wish I could say I was shocked, but with the way ABD has been handling these trips I am absolutely not. I would insist upon a full refund, and frankly, I would ask for a 10% discount on my next trip (even though I probably wouldn't be taking one) given the extreme bad faith of the way they handled this. Escalate it if you have to, and I'd probably send an email to the head of ABD as well. Our River cruise is mid-October and our PIF date is coming up soon. I'm planning to send my Dreams TA an email saying basically exactly what you said--the itinerary changes are not acceptable and I want my deposit back (the dreams excision is fully refundable so I'll be asking for that anyway).

AmaWaterways updated their guidelines today and now require passengers to be vaccinated on European River Cruises. I assume ABD will follow.

https://www.amawaterways.com/travel-updates
IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING VACCINATIONS:Covid-related protocols and country entry regulations continue to evolve. Recent changes in certain European countries now mandate up to a 10-day quarantine period for unvaccinated travelers upon entry. Many countries have also implemented procedures that strongly encourage travelers to be vaccinated and, in some cases, restrict access to certain venues unless they are vaccinated or can provide a negative test result valid for 24 hrs. As a result, effective immediately, AmaWaterways will only be welcoming fully vaccinated guests on board its ships. Guests affected by this decision should contact their travel advisor for options to reschedule their river cruise.
Guests must be fully vaccinated at least 14 days (in the case of Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca or 28 days for Johnson & Johnson) prior to their sailing date. We also recommend all guests take a PCR test within 72 hours prior to departure and bring documentation of a negative result with them on their sailing, as a precautionary measure.

Has anyone researched entry requirements for Hungary or know anyone who has been there recently? I am confused if US citizens can enter, even if vaccinated.

Has anyone researched entry requirements for Hungary or know anyone who has been there recently? I am confused if US citizens can enter, even if vaccinated.

This is what is on the AmaWaterways website as of July 30. They seem to have a pretty cohesive list of what the current entry requirements are for each country of embarkation.

Hungary (Entry Airport: Budapest)
Hungary has temporary restrictions affecting air travel into the country; we expect to receive new or updated details on or before August 9, 2021 and will update our Travel Entry Requirements page as well as any travel advisors and guests whose travel may be impacted accordingly.

We strongly encourage all our guests to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days (or 28 days for Johnson and Johnson) prior to their sailing date.

Additional Forms vary depending on the airline you are traveling with and guests must reconfirm with their airline 7 days before departure.

Here’s what’s on the State Department’s page for Hungary:
Entry and Exit Requirements:
  • Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Generally no, with limited exceptions.
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes.
  • As of July 1, 2021, except in the case of entry by aircraft or from Ukraine, entry into Hungary from Croatia, Austria, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia, regardless of nationality or protection against the coronavirus, is possible without epidemiological restrictions, but providing other general conditions of entry (such as valid travel documents) is necessary.
  • As a general rule, only Hungarian citizens and their relatives can enter Hungary.

Last edited:
Late to the discussion here but we are booked on the October 14th Rhine river cruise as well. PIF date is August 8 and I am really struggling with my final decision. We booked this cruise almost exclusively for the shipyard tour of the Wish. Have they all been cancelled? I'm on a Facebook group but don't remember seeing anything posted about the changes you have mentioned.

As usual ABD and Disney in general is extremely difficult to deal with when it comes to them giving back money that has been deposited!! So frustrating...

Late to the discussion here but we are booked on the October 14th Rhine river cruise as well. PIF date is August 8 and I am really struggling with my final decision. We booked this cruise almost exclusively for the shipyard tour of the Wish. Have they all been cancelled? I'm on a Facebook group but don't remember seeing anything posted about the changes you have mentioned.

As usual ABD and Disney in general is extremely difficult to deal with when it comes to them giving back money that has been deposited!! So frustrating...

Think

If you were one of the Shipyard workers , who have stuck to the covid 19 rules on work practices ,
and keeping your family safe

would you like a group of " Foreign " tourists walking near you. ?

If this tour is one of your main points of your vacation & as you have only 6 days left to pay in full

I would CANCEL & try again next year.

We are on the same cruise, and I am grappling with the same as you. Our primary reasons for this cruise were the Wish visit and Amsterdam. From my understanding both have been cancelled for departures through September (read CM Dad's post above and what happened to them--they are on the cruise before ours). I don't see them changing things for our cruise 14-days later. I will be contacting our TA next week and have her contact ABD to see what they say, but given what they did to CM Dad, I do not anticipate honesty.

Think

If you were one of the Shipyard workers , who have stuck to the covid 19 rules on work practices ,
and keeping your family safe

would you like a group of " Foreign " tourists walking near you. ?

If this tour is one of your main points of your vacation & as you have only 6 days left to pay in full

I would CANCEL & try again next year.

Thanks for your input.
I am thinking, hence my post requesting others thoughts regarding this decision. As a family member that has stuck to all the rules while one of us has continued to work in the airline industry I am fully aware of the need to protect oneself from tourists and people in general. Have a great day!

Oops meant to add ... are you sure about that PIF date? My TA has it down on my reservation as August 10th. Maybe she made a mistake ... ?

What's weird is I just got an email reminding us of our paid in full date, from Dreams Unlimited Travel, and it says 8/8/21. Maybe it's because I pay through them and they need a day or two to get the payment to ABD?
Still haven't decided whether or not to cancel! Guess we'd better make up our minds soon! :)

What's weird is I just got an email reminding us of our paid in full date, from Dreams Unlimited Travel, and it says 8/8/21. Maybe it's because I pay through them and they need a day or two to get the payment to ABD?
Still haven't decided whether or not to cancel! Guess we'd better make up our minds soon! :)
My agent said they ask for a few days just in case there is a problem, they have time to get with you and resolve it. They also have to handle the adjustment for the Dreams piece.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter