Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

When do you return from camping? Could you do the 11 miler on Monday/Tuesday of the following week?

I’m assuming this is peak week. The issue with dropping the 11 miler is the drop in volume may mess with your peaking for race day (your body will think you’re tapering sooner). But at this point in training, the 5 miler at HM tempo is more race specific and relevant to your actual performance (peaking not withstanding). So my recommendation is to try and do the 11 miler (or as much as you can) on Mon/Tues of the following week, and focus on the 5 mile HMT for this upcoming week.
We get back from camping on Sunday afternoon/evening, so running the 11 miler on Monday is probably my best bet since school starts on Tuesday.
I was assuming shuffling the volume around would mess with the peak, although the following week has me scheduled to run 12 miles (on the 11th.) And then I think it's a total of like 5 miles the week leading up to the race (18th), so it's a pretty short taper.

We get back from camping on Sunday afternoon/evening, so running the 11 miler on Monday is probably my best bet since school starts on Tuesday.
I was assuming shuffling the volume around would mess with the peak, although the following week has me scheduled to run 12 miles (on the 11th.) And then I think it's a total of like 5 miles the week leading up to the race (18th), so it's a pretty short taper.

Given you have 12 miles the following weekend, then I'd consider doing something like 9-ish miles on Monday since it's one day closer to the other weekend.

10-15 min WU + 4 x ((3 x 150/30) + 3 min RI) + 10-15 min CD

Ooooh I liked this one a LOT. T+D was pretty high…148ish. That means that my 11:00 pace should have gotten bumped back to 11:25. Honestly, the most tedious part of this was setting it up in my interval app. 😂

I missed the lap key by 30sec after the first set, but set 2 was 11:11, set 3 was 11:09, and set 4 was 10:58.

The run totaled 5.5 miles and I feel like I really hit my groove at around mile 3.5-4. The ankle was crankier than it’s been recently, so i made sure to do my PT exercises stretch it out when I got home.

Crowned athletics restocked some of their Epcot-pattern line today and I got one of the longline sports bras to go with the purple Dottie skirt. Fingers crossed that I like it. 😬

I've been thinking pretty hard about it for a little over a week, and I think I really want/need to add lifting back into my training. I'm going to have to figure out a way to corral DD, or just bite the bullet and get my butt out of bed EARLY, but it needs to happen. My problem lies with which program to add in to the dopey training. I would like to start whatever program I choose around September 26th (1 week after my half marathon.)

And yes. I understand that adding lifting in during this is going to be a chore, and maybe not the *best* choice, but not the worst one either.

I need a program with structure, and stuff I can just check off as I go. I have a beachbody subscription, so ideally something there (and just take out the cardio-specific workouts from whichever program), although I'm not opposed to something else as long as it's free

---I don't think LIIFT4 is going to be it for me because it's just too short after I take out the HIIT (even though that's what makes it attractive when I look at my schedule. And I'd really like to avoid HIIT-style/jumping moves altogether because I'm pretty sure they helped aggravate my PF/achilles issues. For $50 I can get "early" access to the new LIIFTmore program, but I'm not sure if that's worth it for a 15min longer-than-LIIFT4 workout block (especially since it's easy for the trainers to just talk more to fill that time)

---I looked at the P90x3 workouts again because there's a lot of stabilization training, and built-in core stuff (planks, side planks, etc.) This is a 15 weeks program, and would take me through to the end of December.

---And then there's 80 day obsession where I would take out cardio flow AND cardio core (although I would probably do the core-only portion of that workout) but those are so looooooong. An hour of lifting plus an hour (or more!) of running may be asking for a lot. This is a 13 week program that would end in mid December (and that allows me a couple of weeks of "catch up" days if I miss workouts.) I suppose I could theoretically shorten it be manipulating the number of sets/rounds they do (such as making the 3x10 days into 2x10 days.) I know what to expect from this program.

---Hammer and Chisel is one I haven't tried yet, but it's only 8 weeks, which would either mean starting mid-Dopey training (right in the thick of it, which seems like a riskier choice than starting sooner) or starting in September and then figure out something to fill in the last few weeks. It's definitely marketed as a lifting-centric program.

I guess I'd start with how much time do you have per day and how many days per week do you want to aim for? I wouldn't worry about if the program is too short because you could always recycle it, as long as that doesn't bother you.

I guess I'd start with how much time do you have per day
Fully honest with an "I don't know" answer at this point. School starts next Tuesday, and I'll have 2 weeks to find my groove with DD since the workouts AND the running will likely have to happen with only me at home (unless I can turn into a morning person and do ONE of them before DH goes to work in the morning.) That also opens up an entirely different can of worms with likely putting a few hours in between lifting and running workouts. I'm generally able to get 60-90 minutes (sometimes longer) of nap time to do a treadmill run during the week, or the kids/DH will watch her in the evening/weekend so I can get a longer run in.

and how many days per week do you want to aim for? I wouldn't worry about if the program is too short because you could always recycle it, as long as that doesn't bother you.
Probably.....4? Less than that seems like not enough, and much more than that is probably going to be too much for the schedule. And if I keep my 5 runs/wk schedule from last year, that would allow me to have a day of *only* running, and still have 2 days off each week.

Fully honest with an "I don't know" answer at this point. School starts next Tuesday, and I'll have 2 weeks to find my groove with DD since the workouts AND the running will likely have to happen with only me at home (unless I can turn into a morning person and do ONE of them before DH goes to work in the morning.) That also opens up an entirely different can of worms with likely putting a few hours in between lifting and running workouts. I'm generally able to get 60-90 minutes (sometimes longer) of nap time to do a treadmill run during the week, or the kids/DH will watch her in the evening/weekend so I can get a longer run in.

Probably.....4? Less than that seems like not enough, and much more than that is probably going to be too much for the schedule. And if I keep my 5 runs/wk schedule from last year, that would allow me to have a day of *only* running, and still have 2 days off each week.

If timing might be a constraint, then maybe choose the least amount of time commitment of the choices. Then if you find you're being consistent and able to fit the strength in easily, then the program that comes after that fills the remaining time until race week can be a bigger commitment?

That also opens up an entirely different can of worms with likely putting a few hours in between lifting and running workouts.

YMMV but I do weight training every week and immediately follow with an easy 30-45 minute treadmill run while DH works out with the trainer. I often feel stronger during those runs because I'm all warmed up from the strength training. My muscles are fatigued but I'm not getting my heart rate up very high during the lifting session, so I think that helps. I'm definitely tired that night, but it is doable if balanced properly.

I've committed myself to two days of body weight exercises a week and I can tell a big difference with this minimal approach. I just do two circuits of very basic moves like squats, bridges, side planks and it takes ~20 min post run. My legs feel more muscular and I'm experiencing fewer niggles.

I usually do better with a program that I can follow but that just wasn't working out for me this time around due to my schedule being chaotic.

If you have time and interest, by all means do something more. But don't forget these wise words:
Something is always > Nothing

If all you have time for is 20 min twice a week, that's still going to be beneficial.

YMMV but I do weight training every week and immediately follow with an easy 30-45 minute treadmill run while DH works out with the trainer. I often feel stronger during those runs because I'm all warmed up from the strength training. My muscles are fatigued but I'm not getting my heart rate up very high during the lifting session, so I think that helps. I'm definitely tired that night, but it is doable if balanced properly.
yeah. If i didn't have a toddler who either "helps" me with my weights or tries to climb onto the treadmill with me, I would absolutely do them back to back, but I have a feeling that's not going to be possible.

yeah. If i didn't have a toddler who either "helps" me with my weights or tries to climb onto the treadmill with me, I would absolutely do them back to back, but I have a feeling that's not going to be possible.

Truth! I was really speaking more toward the physical toll of doing them back-to-back, so I clearly misread the dilemma! Carry on... :D

Truth! I was really speaking more toward the physical toll of doing them back-to-back, so I clearly misread the dilemma! Carry on... :D
Right. All things considered, it's probably "better" in the end if I were able to do them together, and not be subjecting myself to 2-a-days. I'm going to make so much laundry. Ugh.

I've committed myself to two days of body weight exercises a week and I can tell a big difference with this minimal approach. I just do two circuits of very basic moves like squats, bridges, side planks and it takes ~20 min post run. My legs feel more muscular and I'm experiencing fewer niggles.

I usually do better with a program that I can follow but that just wasn't working out for me this time around due to my schedule being chaotic.

If you have time and interest, by all means do something more.

If all you have time for is 20 min twice a week, that's still going to be beneficial.
Hahahaha! Well played.

Meant to do my 5mi HM-pace run yesterday but then DH had an emergency service call because someone’s overhead service wire for their garage got ripped out by a garbage truck. So no one else was home to put DD to bed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last day of work today, and we finished early, so I came directly home, put in my running stuff and headed out. T+D was 141 😬. Normal HM pace should be around 11:26, and adjusted was 11:50. I was pressed for time because of taking DS1 to his engineering academy open house/orientation, so I skipped the cooldown. My ankle was pretty cranky starting at mile 2.5, and I walked extra on the last mile because it was walk or start limping. Not great. I’m not sure why it’s flaring up, unless it’s the combination of faster runs and increased mileage. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Half mile warmup 14:11 pace
Mile 1 11:35
Mile 2 11:50 (this is the mile that I actually checked the t+d and consulted my chart)
Mile 3 11:35
Mile 4 11:38
Mile 5 11:45

ETA: 80/30 intervals, 170bpm playlist.

As far as like…the cardio/workout portion this was a harder but still doable workout. My ankle (and it’s really just my lower calf clenching and causing issues from there) begs to differ.

I really really wish that my heat acclimation from working in the pie kitchen would last until January because even though it was 77 out, i felt OK with the heat and was actively trying to run slightly slower splits after that first one. The pie room is pretty much always between 86 and 92 degrees. It doesn't even make me sweat when I'm in there any more.

Last edited:
I really really wish that my heat acclimation from working in the pie kitchen would last until January because even though it was 77 out, i felt OK with the heat and was actively trying to run slightly slower splits after that first one. The pie room is pretty much always between 86 and 92 degrees. It doesn't even make me sweat when I'm in there any more.
Oh my gosh, yes. I'm at the point where 77 degrees feels positively cool and delightful, but I know I'll get used to cool temps again just before running in FL. Ah well; we take what we can get!

No way, you knit too?!?! I'm so behind on the things I'm making for my nephew's baby! This looks great!
Yes! Having an infant (who then turns into a very busy toddler) definitely put a hard pause on knitting for a few years, but I figured I would take advantage of the car ride to get back into the groove.

I looooove the aviatrix hat for babies (it’s on ravelry) if you need some inspiration 😂

Nephew and his wife are obsessed with Up -- they had a personalized mailbox with names and handprints on the gift table at their wedding for the cards. This is perfect!
Oh wow, it’s a great fit then! 😂😂

I will say that the only annoying part of that pattern is the short rows. If you haven’t done then, definitely check a YouTube video of you haven’t done them before. I like the “wrap and turn” method but I know that “German short rows” is another popular technique in my online knitting group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter