Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

For those interested, or possibly reading this thread to ask the same question, here's the response I received from Uber Support:

"Once you download the app and enter your details, you would be set up with a UK account, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to use the FEELING22 promo code once you Uber in Orlando. Just make sure you enter FEELING22 before you take your first ever trip for that said account. So long as your first trip happens in the United States, it's free up to $22. If it exceeds $22, the difference will be charged to your payment account."
Thanks!

Is Uber able to drop off at Contemporary to use the MK walkway?

We had never used Uber or Lyft. But I read on here about the discount for Lyft so I downloaded the app just before our last trip. We always fly and rely on Disney transport or taxis. We have paid $25+ to take a taxi from one resort to another! I love the whole concept of Uber/Lyft. The payment is online, no cash exchange required. The big news is we went to Disney Springs for three dollars and change! That was the official charge by Lyft with the promo but we gave the driver a good tip in cash. Fast service, clean car, nice driver. Highly recommend.

We are meeting two other families at MCO to stay overnight at the hotel. We are all flying in from different cities. Our reservations at CBR are the next day. We all planned to take Magical Express over the next morning. Now, my husband has found flights into Sanford for over half as much. He thinks we can Uber over to MCO. I've been trying to read this entire thread from what I'm reading I don't think this would be possible. How far is Sanford from CBR? This seams like a lot of trouble.

We are meeting two other families at MCO to stay overnight at the hotel. We are all flying in from different cities. Our reservations at CBR are the next day. We all planned to take Magical Express over the next morning. Now, my husband has found flights into Sanford for over half as much. He thinks we can Uber over to MCO. I've been trying to read this entire thread from what I'm reading I don't think this would be possible. How far is Sanford from CBR? This seams like a lot of trouble.

Theres a million ubers available at sfb... it is about a 45-50 min ride. Everyone Ive taken over there seems to think its worth it

So Uber can drop us off at MCO?

Absolutely. And I was a bit high on my time estimate..I was calculating time back to property. MCO is halfway between Disney and SFB

The problem with this plan is DME. Since you wont be flying into MCO, you wont be eligible for it at all. And your travelling companions might not be either since they arent coming directly off the plane and onto the bus. I used to be a castmember at the Disney Reservations Center, and back then this is what I would have told you about DME. I would call up DRC and doublecheck on this.

Is there any benefit to trying to get the same driver as often as you can over your vacation? I would think that if you got a good driver, and were a good passenger, that it would make sense to use the same person whenever possible. Also it would make it easier to give one larger tip and make the shorter drives less annoying for the driver. Or am I overthinking it? Thx

Is there any benefit to trying to get the same driver as often as you can over your vacation? I would think that if you got a good driver, and were a good passenger, that it would make sense to use the same person whenever possible. Also it would make it easier to give one larger tip and make the shorter drives less annoying for the driver. Or am I overthinking it? Thx

The system is ondemand with nobway to request a specific driver. However, in my experience, its not uncommon to have the same riders more than once.

This is a great thread - so much information. I just have one quick question - what is the wifi like on the Disney parks? We're from the UK so will have no data roming & will be staying at Cabana Bay but want to travel to Disney for a couple of day trips.

This is a great thread - so much information. I just have one quick question - what is the wifi like on the Disney parks? We're from the UK so will have no data roming & will be staying at Cabana Bay but want to travel to Disney for a couple of day trips.
Slightly off topic but look at a 3 pay and go sim and get the data package, the USA is a feel at home country so you can use everything without extra charge :)

Spotty, lots of drops in service, Very slow. 99% of the time it's so bad for me I turn off the WiFi on my phone and use data.
Sorry, wish I had better news. May be worth looking in to a throwaway phone. No idea if they have data for those or not but I would look in to it for sure.

We are headed down in August and for the first time in 8 years we were planning on heading back to the water parks. So I'm familiar with both water parks. Lately I've read about the changes to the water park transportation and I'm now concerned. We are taking DME so we won't have a rental car. I've never used Uber before, but now I'm thinking that might be an option for us just to get home from the water park. We wouldn't be getting in a car in wet suits as we change before we leave. Problem is I have a five year old and 2 year old who would need restraints. Is the approximate wait for an uber xl with a car seat less than an hour? If the wait time averages over an hour then I guess we would just take the bus and transfer. My plan for the five year old is to buy one of those booster seats that you can inflate and that way we could have that in our water park bag for this transfer.

Hi there.
We will be staying at Bay Lake Tower and need to pick up a hire car at Car Care Centre.
Should we use Uber or rely on the Alamo shuttle.
Sort of feel bad because its such a short trip.

Thanks

I have used the Alamo shuttle from a few different hotels on property. Call the local Alamo office and you will be able to schedule ahead of time. If memory serves me correctly they prefer or require you to call ahead.

I havent read the whole 23 pages but did read the first page. Thank you. We started useing Uber here in PHX nearly weakly. It is almost as cheap if not a few bucks more then the bus's for all three of us to go out. I was talkign to my husband about useing uber for our wdw trip a few times next dec 2017. I just wanted to say thank you for this post.

Absolutely. And I was a bit high on my time estimate..I was calculating time back to property. MCO is halfway between Disney and SFB

The problem with this plan is DME. Since you wont be flying into MCO, you wont be eligible for it at all. And your travelling companions might not be either since they arent coming directly off the plane and onto the bus. I used to be a castmember at the Disney Reservations Center, and back then this is what I would have told you about DME. I would call up DRC and doublecheck on this.
Actually, that's wrong. You can arrive at MCO via yak and still use DME. As long as you are listed on a WDW resort reservation, you get to ride DME! I've arrived at MCO in a rental car, coming from Tampa, I've been dropped off at MCO. I've always been able to get on the DME bus. Your DME reservation isn't tied to your MCO arrival..it is tied to your WDW resort reservation.
So....if you are listed on a resort reservation, that is active on your MCO arrival day, you just have to have made a DME reservation, prior to arrival..then, you're good to go.

Actually, that's wrong. You can arrive at MCO via yak and still use DME. As long as you are listed on a WDW resort reservation, you get to ride DME! I've arrived at MCO in a rental car, coming from Tampa, I've been dropped off at MCO. I've always been able to get on the DME bus. Your DME reservation isn't tied to your MCO arrival..it is tied to your WDW resort reservation.
So....if you are listed on a resort reservation, that is active on your MCO arrival day, you just have to have made a DME reservation, prior to arrival..then, you're good to go.
Do you actually have to make the reservation with ME? I mean, say you have someone totally clueless, just knows they get airport transportation and they walk up to the ME counter. If they give the CM their info and the CM can see their resort reservation they'll let them on the bus, right? Even if they never gave any flight info to ME at all. Isn't having an onsite resort reservation with check in on that day all that is absolutely necessary? Or will they turn that guest away since they didn't call or otherwise give them their flight info

Do you actually have to make the reservation with ME? I mean, say you have someone totally clueless, just knows they get airport transportation and they walk up to the ME counter. If they give the CM their info and the CM can see their resort reservation they'll let them on the bus, right? Even if they never gave any flight info to ME at all. Isn't having an onsite resort reservation with check in on that day all that is absolutely necessary? Or will they turn that guest away since they didn't call or otherwise give them their flight info
They are 'supposed' to turn any walk-ups away. They have a contract with MCO that says all guests riding on DME buses must have an existing reservation with DME. The car service drivers and cab drivers were really upset when DME came along...understandably. So, DME promised to ensure that all people would have a DME reservation, so as to prevent those that might take a cab or car service at the last minute, from changing their minds and going with the free DME service.
They could literally call DME the night before they are due to arrive and give them their info then. That would make it all above board.
But, I have heard of some guests being allowed to ride the bus without prior reservations. If that happens too many times, it could cause an issue.

They are 'supposed' to turn any walk-ups away. They have a contract with MCO that says all guests riding on DME buses must have an existing reservation with DME. The car service drivers and cab drivers were really upset when DME came along...understandably. So, DME promised to ensure that all people would have a DME reservation, so as to prevent those that might take a cab or car service at the last minute, from changing their minds and going with the free DME service.
They could literally call DME the night before they are due to arrive and give them their info then. That would make it all above board.
But, I have heard of some guests being allowed to ride the bus without prior reservations. If that happens too many times, it could cause an issue.
Good info. Thanks

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest