Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Thanks. My phone should work abroad (but I was hoping to keep airplane mode on and just use wifi to communicate) - although I was planning to make sure my phone/signal is accessible, just in case the driver needs to phone (do the drivers always phone to check pickup location?)
How does Uber verify your number? If it's just a text with a link then i'll just wait until i'm over there to download the app because my phone company doesn't charge me for receiving international texts :)

Thanks for the info about Lyft - I'll download that now :)

I can't remember what Uber did to set up the service. There was some sort of verification process but I can't recall if it was text or voice.

I've never been called by a driver, except for one that was terribly lost.
I typically text the driver as soon as I set up the ride to give them my exact location since sometimes the starting point may be slightly vague. I figure a quick text can't hurt.
Most of my trips that's been the only form of communication

I can't remember what Uber did to set up the service. There was some sort of verification process but I can't recall if it was text or voice.

I've never been called by a driver, except for one that was terribly lost.
I typically text the driver as soon as I set up the ride to give them my exact location since sometimes the starting point may be slightly vague. I figure a quick text can't hurt.
Most of my trips that's been the only form of communication

Great - thanks!

I'll have a quick google tonight to see if I can find out more about the verification process.

I think I'll just try to make sure I'm in a really precise location with good wifi so the driver knows where I am - then hopefully I wont need to text. I saw a good idea on this thread earlier about walking to Hard Rock to use the wifi and get picked up from there. I figure this might be a safer bet for us than risking dropping wifi connection when leaving universal/IoA

Thanks. My phone should work abroad (but I was hoping to keep airplane mode on and just use wifi to communicate) - although I was planning to make sure my phone/signal is accessible, just in case the driver needs to phone (do the drivers always phone to check pickup location?)
How does Uber verify your number? If it's just a text with a link then i'll just wait until i'm over there to download the app because my phone company doesn't charge me for receiving international texts :)

Thanks for the info about Lyft - I'll download that now :)

The verification code is via text message (one time). Since your text messages are free then try to communicate with drivers via text messages like your pick locations, eta etc.
All our drivers called to make sure we have a pick spot finalized. Always a good idea to move away from common area where there is a lot of public or pickups/drop offs.

Great - thanks!

I'll have a quick google tonight to see if I can find out more about the verification process.

I think I'll just try to make sure I'm in a really precise location with good wifi so the driver knows where I am - then hopefully I wont need to text. I saw a good idea on this thread earlier about walking to Hard Rock to use the wifi and get picked up from there. I figure this might be a safer bet for us than risking dropping wifi connection when leaving universal/IoA
Thing is, you can't really control that. The app "picks" where you are and you can't force it to be precise. It will only use "front of Boardwalk Resort" (for example). Since obviously there are lots of people in front of Boardwalk I'll text the driver to say, we are standing on the right side of the entrance, or something along those lines. So they know who of all those people we are

Thing is, you can't really control that. The app "picks" where you are and you can't force it to be precise. It will only use "front of Boardwalk Resort" (for example). Since obviously there are lots of people in front of Boardwalk I'll text the driver to say, we are standing on the right side of the entrance, or something along those lines. So they know who of all those people we are

Oh right, I didn't realise that! I thought there was an option to input your location instead of where your pin drop is?
I guess I'll just have to text! My phone company charges 30p to send texts, and free to recieve - so it's not the end of the world! :)

Thanks for your help x

Legally, yes they do. It's up to age 6 in FL (I believe it's age 6, may be 8 now)

I was going to ask a similar question...we're 4 adults, with a 5 year old and 20 month old. I was thinking we could request UberXL with car seat for the baby and buckle in the 5 year old. Should we just request 2 regular Uber with car seat? Just going from BWV to Poly/GF.

I was going to ask a similar question...we're 4 adults, with a 5 year old and 20 month old. I was thinking we could request UberXL with car seat for the baby and buckle in the 5 year old. Should we just request 2 regular Uber with car seat? Just going from BWV to Poly/GF.
Much like at home, distance doesn't really matter. Car seat laws are car seat laws.
Whether or not you opt to buckle in the 5 yo is up to you. And I would assume the driver. Maybe a driver here can say what they do with kids 5 and under. DGD is 8 now and we still bring her portable car seat. Maybe look in to one of those for your older one?

Florida child seat law:

(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined in this section, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device.

1. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat.

2. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a child booster seat may be used.

Taxi and limo drivers are exempt from responsibility under the law, but the parents are still responsible. Since Uber and Lyft technically are neither taxis nor limos, I think most drivers assume they would be responsible, and will not carry without a car seat or booster.

Thanks. I thought FL was still rather young on their top age. 6 seems so young to be in a seat belt alone but that's a whole different topic

I'm wondering if anyone can help with info about the Uber promo credit (first ride free up to $22) and downloading the app in another country. I'm based in the UK - traveling to Disney on Saturday! :) We'd like to use Uber to travel from CBR to Universal. I've never used it before so haven't downloaded the app yet. If I download the app now and enter my details, will it set up a UK account (therefore not letting me use the $ promo credit)? What if I put CRB as my home address? Not sure whether to risk downloading the app now, or wait until we're actually in CRB :) Thanks!

For those interested, or possibly reading this thread to ask the same question, here's the response I received from Uber Support:

"Once you download the app and enter your details, you would be set up with a UK account, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to use the FEELING22 promo code once you Uber in Orlando. Just make sure you enter FEELING22 before you take your first ever trip for that said account. So long as your first trip happens in the United States, it's free up to $22. If it exceeds $22, the difference will be charged to your payment account."

For those interested, or possibly reading this thread to ask the same question, here's the response I received from Uber Support:

"Once you download the app and enter your details, you would be set up with a UK account, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to use the FEELING22 promo code once you Uber in Orlando. Just make sure you enter FEELING22 before you take your first ever trip for that said account. So long as your first trip happens in the United States, it's free up to $22. If it exceeds $22, the difference will be charged to your payment account."
What a great response!

So we are going to download the app to use Uber in Anaheim going from SNA to Disneyland. Does it matter if I set up online and then get the app on the phone and sign in with the account I made online? When do I put in the code FEELING22, before ordering a car?

Also, I was wondering, I heard you don't need to tip, but is this accurate? Should we tip or just pay and not tip?

Last edited:
You pay an extra $10 for Uber Family. They only bring one car seat. It's an incredibly compact seat and they install it pretty quick! It's called Immi Go.
There's a list of 15 different car seats that are acceptable in Orlando, ranging in price from just over $100 up to $400. The majority are either Graco or Britax. The Gracos are cheapest, so I'd expect most drivers purchasing one to get a Graco.

About half are convertibles: rear-facing for infants, and forward-facing for children up to 65 lbs., which should easily accommodate a 5-yr-old. The rest are forward-facing only, so if traveling with an infant it would be a good idea to text your driver as soon as s/he accepts, to make sure they have a convertible seat.

Drivers need to prove that their car seat is not expired, and attend a "brief safety training session."

Hi there. DVC member here. I will be staying at OKW or maybe SSR and I would like to know where I would be picked up when I am staying there. Do I have to be at the main building for either resort or can the driver pick me up at my room? When I go back to the resort can I also be dropped off at my room? Also one day we want to get to MK before rope drop and as a fall back to the bus can we get a ride to BLT to walk to MK? I know that if we get the "official" drop off for MK it would be at the TTC. We were hoping to avoid that. Would the guard at CR/BLT not let us in if we say that we are just getting breakfast at Contempo Café? I know that there is a big Uber thread here but it is over 20 pages long and I already did a search for SSR and I couldn't find any results that would help. Thanks.

We arrived at CBR yesterday. We asked the Thomson rep about getting an uber to universal but she told us that over the past 4 weeks Disney have tightened up restrictions which means that uber are categorically not allowed to pick up on Disney property. She said the app would let us order an uber but it will never arrive.

This sounds suspicious to me...I think she's probably just trying to get us to pay them for a mears shuttle (which isn't too expensive actually! But obviously more than we would pay with uber - not sure whether I'm allowed to post the price or not).

Just wanted to ask whether anyone has had any problems using uber on site in the past couple of weeks?

We arrived at CBR yesterday. We asked the Thomson rep about getting an uber to universal but she told us that over the past 4 weeks Disney have tightened up restrictions which means that uber are categorically not allowed to pick up on Disney property. She said the app would let us order an uber but it will never arrive.

This sounds suspicious to me...I think she's probably just trying to get us to pay them for a mears shuttle (which isn't too expensive actually! But obviously more than we would pay with uber - not sure whether I'm allowed to post the price or not).

Just wanted to ask whether anyone has had any problems using uber on site in the past couple of weeks?

Shouldnt be a problem. I drive at disney almost every day and get right in to the parks and resorts. For CBR, just be sure to pin your location where you need picking up. If it comes through in Martinique gor example, thats where Ill go...if it looks like Customs House...thats where ill go.

Has anyone used Uber to get around within Disney, like for Dinner at a different resort? We will be staying at BWV and want to get to Boma for Dinner??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter