Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

We're staying offsite at Hilton Grand Vacations SeaWorld but want to travel to Epcot one day and later and will travel to Animal Kingdom partway through the day and then need pick up there to travel back to the hotel later in the evening. I don't really want to use the hotel's scheduled transportation as it picks up at multiple locations. We won't have a rental. Would uber or lyft be a good choice here? Where is the Epcot drop off? I think I understand where AK pick up is. Thanks!

Exceptions:

OKW/Saratoga: Assumption is pickup is at the location entered, which may be your building. Do not wait in the bus stop itself.

We will be staying at THVs at SSR. Would the Uber/Lyft be able to pick us up at our Treehouse?
Thank you.

We will need a ride from Orlando Airport to Universal the beginning of August and then later in the week transferring to WDW. How would this work ?

Also wanted to add that we are a group of 5 adults.

We will need a ride from Orlando Airport to Universal the beginning of August and then later in the week transferring to WDW. How would this work ?

Also wanted to add that we are a group of 5 adults.
Your only Uber option for 5 riders picked up at the airport is Uber SUV, which is the luxury SUV class with a professional driver. Uber web site estimates cost to Universal at $74-93. A regular taxi would be about $55 plus tip. Regular taxi sedans can take 4 or 5 passengers; you would probably want a taxi van if you have luggage. Taxi vans are the same fare as taxi sedans; they're all over WDW but I don't know how readily they're available at the airport.

From UO to WDW you can use Uber XL, which is an ordinary SUV or minivan that holds at least 6 passengers, and is significantly cheaper than Uber SUV.

You might also want to look into Lyft, which is currently offering $5 off each of your first 10 rides. I don't think they can help from the airport, but you might save a few bucks from UO.

3happy

We just came back. Used uber from MOC to Universal, with a suv, for 4 people, but with 3 bags and 3 golf clubs, so suv was needed. About $80. At Universal we could not get a suv from uber. The only thing showing was uber xl, and that would not fit the bags. the hotel had a SUV take us to the GF at Disney, cost $50. Then from the GF to MOC, again, no suv showed. Took a van cab to MOC for about $75.

3happy

We just came back. Used uber from MOC to Universal, with a suv, for 4 people, but with 3 bags and 3 golf clubs, so suv was needed. About $80. At Universal we could not get a suv from uber. The only thing showing was uber xl, and that would not fit the bags. the hotel had a SUV take us to the GF at Disney, cost $50. Then from the GF to MOC, again, no suv showed. Took a van cab to MOC for about $75.
Assuming you mean the airport: MCO not MOC.

Uber SUV is a variety of Uber Black, which I believe is available only at the airport.

I would think at least some Uber XL vehicles would have been able to handle you, depending on the seating configuration, by folding down half the rear seat. Did you try one and find it didn't work, or just assume it wouldn't? You could always request one and then text the driver and ask; there's no fee if you cancel within 5 minutes.

Assuming you mean the airport: MCO not MOC.

Uber SUV is a variety of Uber Black, which I believe is available only at the airport.

I would think at least some Uber XL vehicles would have been able to handle you, depending on the seating configuration, by folding down half the rear seat. Did you try one and find it didn't work, or just assume it wouldn't? You could always request one and then text the driver and ask; there's no fee if you cancel within 5 minutes.

Where in MCO did you get the Uber ? The current rules are only Uber Black (most expensive Uber ) can pick up at the Airport, all other Ubers cannot go on Airport premises? Did you take a shuttle or taxi off grounds? Walk to the Cell lot? or something else? We would like to take regular UberX or UberXL when arriving later this month , but wasn't sure if regular UberX was available at the airport.

Where in MCO did you get the Uber ? The current rules are only Uber Black (most expensive Uber ) can pick up at the Airport, all other Ubers cannot go on Airport premises? Did you take a shuttle or taxi off grounds? Walk to the Cell lot? or something else? We would like to take regular UberX or UberXL when arriving later this month , but wasn't sure if regular UberX was available at the airport.
As I said, Uber SUV is a variety of Uber Black. It's professional drivers, but driving luxury black SUV's (e.g. Escalades, Hummers) instead of towncars. It costs a little bit more than Uber Black.

UberX and UberXL cannot pick up at the airport, but can drop off there.

Last edited:
As I said, Uber SUV is a variety of Uber Black. It's professional drivers, but driving luxury black SUV's (e.g. Escapades, Hummers) instead of towncars. It costs a little bit more than Uber Black.

UberX and UberXL cannot pick up at the airport, but can drop off there.

Thanks for the reply ! How much did they charge? We will be using a first time users discount code. And did they pick you up where the other taxi guys are? TIA

Thanks for the reply ! How much did they charge? We will be using a first time users discount code. And did they pick you up where the other taxi guys are? TIA
I didn't make the trip; I was just commenting on dennis99ss's post.

If you notice the post by the person who used this service they said how much they paid. See bold here

3happy

More than an avg Taxi costs. Which is why the Taxi companies relented and agreed to let these Uber drivers in. Uber Black (and others with same level of service) are not cheaper than Taxi's

If you notice the post by the person who used this service they said how much they paid. See bold here

More than an avg Taxi costs. Which is why the Taxi companies relented and agreed to let these Uber drivers in. Uber Black (and others with same level of service) are not cheaper than Taxi's

No, but they are clean and have a clue where they are going LOL!

Just thought of something I'm not sure I've seen addressed in this thread so far. Maybe I missed it but does Uber have any means of getting a vehicle that can store an ECV? Would a UberXL be a valid choice?
I traveled with my Mom who needed one last April and we needed to use something a time or two. We grabbed a taxi that had a lift since there were so many different vehicle options waiting but if we had the option for requesting Uber that would work I would have preferred that. I know ECV can go in some trunks I just wan't sure how and didn't know if Uber drivers did. Not sure if I'll ever travel with someone using one again but it would be nice to have the option for Uber if I did.

No, but they are clean and have a clue where they are going LOL!
LOL.. I'll give clean for certain but we've gotten a few clueless Uber drivers. We made it where we are going but we had to provide some guidance. Still prefer them over Taxi.

Just thought of something I'm not sure I've seen addressed in this thread so far. Maybe I missed it but does Uber have any means of getting a vehicle that can store an ECV? Would a UberXL be a valid choice?
I traveled with my Mom who needed one last April and we needed to use something a time or two. We grabbed a taxi that had a lift since there were so many different vehicle options waiting but if we had the option for requesting Uber that would work I would have preferred that. I know ECV can go in some trunks I just wan't sure how and didn't know if Uber drivers did. Not sure if I'll ever travel with someone using one again but it would be nice to have the option for Uber if I did.
My thoughts as an occasional driver and an ECV user:
  1. Get a small ECV that's designed to travel. The Pride Go-Go will fit in almost any trunk and back seat, and is very easy to disassemble and reassemble, with the heaviest piece weighing 30-40 lbs., depending on the model.
  2. Learn how to disassemble and assemble it yourself. If you aren't there to take delivery in person, it's easy to find the owners manuals of the major brands on the internet.
  3. Be prepared to assist lifting it into and out of the trunk, if necessary. Not all Uber drivers are young and in top physical condition.
  4. If you have only 2 riders, a small ECV like the Go-Go will probably fit in the trunk and half of the back seat of an UberX. The only size requirement for UberX vehicles is that they seat 5 (including the driver) and have 4 doors.
  5. If you have 3 or 4 riders, it's probably a good idea to request an Uber XL. Depending on the vehicle, it might be necessary to fold down the 3rd row, so more than 4 riders could be hit or miss.
LOL.. I'll give clean for certain but we've gotten a few clueless Uber drivers. We made it where we are going but we had to provide some guidance. Still prefer them over Taxi.
At least Uber & Lyft drivers can call up navigation thru the app (unless their phone freezes, which happened to me once.) They may not know the destination, but they'll get you there eventually, and the extra mileage costs will be less than a taxi if they do get lost. If your driver gets seriously off track, you can request a fare review in the app.

Last edited:
Great info! Thanks. Hopefully that can help some others who are with someone in an ECV

joe. yes, MCO. Would be heck of a long cab ride to Brazil :)
regards the uber xl, the only vehicles that popped up where cars, and with 4 adults, 3 golf bags, 3 suitcase/suitbags, it just wasn't worth trying to find an xl that would fit. But, I found it surprising that no black even registered during our week except at the airport

at the airport, the pickup was where the limo pick up is, not the taxi pickup. we came in unioted, and, on the ground floor, as you are looking out towards the taxi stand, turn around, look at the car rentals, and there is a doorway to the back/driveway where uber gathered us.

But, I found it surprising that no black even registered during our week except at the airport
Black and SUV are only available at the airport in Orlando. If you are anywhere but the airport, Black and SUV will not come up as options. Similarly, car seats will only be offered when you're requesting a pick up in the theme parks, I-Drive, or the airport.

XL vehicles are minivans or full-size SUV's, since they have to have at least 7 seats. I'm not too familiar with SUV's, but I think a Sienna or Odyssey minivan could have accommodated you.

Last edited:
Your only Uber option for 5 riders picked up at the airport is Uber SUV, which is the luxury SUV class with a professional driver. Uber web site estimates cost to Universal at $74-93. A regular taxi would be about $55 plus tip. Regular taxi sedans can take 4 or 5 passengers; you would probably want a taxi van if you have luggage. Taxi vans are the same fare as taxi sedans; they're all over WDW but I don't know how readily they're available at the airport.

From UO to WDW you can use Uber XL, which is an ordinary SUV or minivan that holds at least 6 passengers, and is significantly cheaper than Uber SUV.

You might also want to look into Lyft, which is currently offering $5 off each of your first 10 rides. I don't think they can help from the airport, but you might save a few bucks from UO.

Thanks for the reply. I guess we'll just use the same company from our last trip. The charge was $50.00 plus the tip, nice SUV, clean, great driver. Thought I might have been able to save a few bucks using Uber.

Thanks for the info! We are going in December & plan to resort hop quite a bit...and Uber seems the way to go.

Spotty, lots of drops in service, Very slow. 99% of the time it's so bad for me I turn off the WiFi on my phone and use data.
Sorry, wish I had better news. May be worth looking in to a throwaway phone. No idea if they have data for those or not but I would look in to it for sure.
So using Wi-fi for Uber and or Lyft won't work? I have also been asking about it as I only have an ipod mini with Wi-fi only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter