Ethical to Switch Travel Agents?

1. I would switch.
2. I would definitely run the numbers for at least one of your party getting an Annual pass. AP rates at the poly for this summer are close to 40% off and you get 10% off at most TS restaurants and 20% of all Merch. We always have at least one AP in our family for this reason and it pays for itself and then some every year. With a group as big as you have it could save you alot.
All of this is very good advice. I just got an AP and we're only staying for 6 days but it will pay for itself because of the room discount.

I'm not sure if it's ethical or not, but I would absolutely switch to save $3000.
Yes. You are a customer and the TA has failed to live up to expectations which were reasonably based on what the TA said she would do. I would have absolutely no guilt switching TAs and would (as kindly as possible) inform the first one why you are doing so. That would benefit her more than any small financial gift you might (mistakenly) feel that you owe her. Abide by the terms of the contract, and that's it.

As others have said, look through everything carefully to make sure there are no unexpected penalties and that you have another reservation locked down, and then switch.

After that, I would not consult with the first TA again except to let her know her services are no longer needed and to figure out how to end the relationship. She has let you down already- there is no reason to believe she'd do better in the future.

Last edited:
You can have a room only reservation with the dining plan and no tickets. It can only be done over the phone though. I have had my ta book it for me so I know it is possible. We did not have AP's at the time either.

Yes. You can most definitely book a ticketless package and have the dining plan added. I’ve done it our past 2 trips, it just has to be done by phone as stated previously.

Are you getting the dining plan with each reservation? Not sure how it works with the TA exclusive, but normally you have to buy tickets in order to add the dining plan. So, for example, you would buy 1 - 6 day ticket with a single reservation to add dining. If you want a dining plan for both hotels with a split stay, you will need to buy a ticket with each reservation. That is usually much more expensive. Something to take into account.

Requiring guests to purchase tickets in order to add a dining plan ended YEARS ago. Anyone can call in to book a "ticketless package" which is a room plus a dining plan. It cannot be done online. The only time tickets are required in order to add a dining plan is when a dining promo is released like Free Dining or Stay, Play, Dine and tickets are required to book that package.

OP, you can book your room, tickets and dining on your "first" stay and room plus dining on your "second" stay. When you check-in, tell the front desk you have continuing reservations and would like to stay in the same rooms. Ask your TA to also note this on your reservations. Others have noted how this will affect the pooling of your dining credits. Also, be aware, you will have two ADR opening dates - 180 days from your first reservation and 180 days from your second reservation. You should be able to make all of your FP+, though, 60 days prior to your first reservation.

I would also ask your TA to double check to see if they can extend the first stay booking period into the second as, sometimes, if there is availability in the general inventory, groups agents have some wiggle room to extend dates. If not, personally, I would still make the split stay booking and take the $3K savings!

es. You are a customer and the TA has failed to live up to expectations which were reasonably based on what the TA said she would do. I would have absolutely no guilt switching TAs and would (as kindly as possible) inform the first one why you are doing so. That would benefit her more than any small financial gift you might (mistakenly) feel that you owe her. Abide by the terms of the contract, and that's it.

As others have said, look through everything carefully to make sure there are no unexpected penalties and that you have another reservation locked down, and then switch.

After that, I would not consult with the first TA again except to let her know her services are no longer needed and to figure out how to end the relationship. She has let you down already- there is no reason to believe she'd do better in the future.

This is so wrong on so many levels. Discounts are never, ever guaranteed. Many book rooms/packages early with the thought that they can add a discount later, only to find that the discount does not apply, or is not available for their dates, hotel, etc. How do you know this travel agent didn't try to get her a discount? When an agency books blocks of rooms at the group rate, there is no way for anyone, outside of this "group" to get those rates.

Also note that your first TA can cancel your dining reservations if she made them. Changing your password will only make her have to call them in to cancel. This is her "work product" and since she isn't be compensated for her work....well!!!!

All of this is very good advice. I just got an AP and we're only staying for 6 days but it will pay for itself because of the room discount.

Yes. You are a customer and the TA has failed to live up to expectations which were reasonably based on what the TA said she would do. I would have absolutely no guilt switching TAs and would (as kindly as possible) inform the first one why you are doing so. That would benefit her more than any small financial gift you might (mistakenly) feel that you owe her. Abide by the terms of the contract, and that's it.

I don't think this is fair to the original TA. If the TA is not part of an agency that books convention/group rates, she has no way of accessing those rates and can only quote what is available in the general WDW rack rate and discount inventory. She can't offer something she has no access to.

This is so wrong on so many levels. Discounts are never, ever guaranteed. Many book rooms/packages early with the thought that they can add a discount later, only to find that the discount does not apply, or is not available for their dates, hotel, etc. How do you know this travel agent didn't try to get her a discount? When an agency books blocks of rooms at the group rate, there is no way for anyone, outside of this "group" to get those rates.

Also note that your first TA can cancel your dining reservations if she made them. Changing your password will only make her have to call them in to cancel. This is her "work product" and since she isn't be compensated for her work....well!!!!

This is true. That is why being honest with the original TA about the cancellation and offering some compensation for her work may be the way to go.

I agree with others to secure your ressie with TA2, change your password for MDE, and then contact TA1 to cancel with her. I would be honest about the $$ you are saving with TA2 and then I would compensate her for her time. Tell her how much you appreciated her time, that you would be happy to do business with her in the future and would refer friends. I would let her know you are sending her a token of appreciation. I would suggest a $100 gift card(or more if you are feeling generous).

It is in TA1 best interest to be courteous and not vindictive. Her reputation is her business. I suspect she will be understanding. She knows booked travel can be cancelled for various reasons at any time no matter how much work was or was not performed.

FWIW, I was a real estate agent for several years and had many clients that I worked endless hours including many miles traveled in my car where the clients could not buy homes due to financing or a change of life circumstance. It happens and one knows this when choosing a career that is not compensated until the closing and funding of a contract. I even cancelled a buyers agency for a couple who bought a house that I found for them. They visited during an open house (when I couldn't attend) and due to an unethical broker-seller, I did not want them to be required to pay me out-of-pocket. They ended up sending me a beautiful thank you note and a small gift card and referred their friends and family to me so it was a win-win for everyone.

I don't think this is fair to the original TA. If the TA is not part of an agency that books convention/group rates, she has no way of accessing those rates and can only quote what is available in the general WDW rack rate and discount inventory. She can't offer something she has no access to.

The OP said the TA didn't even apply the discounts available to the general public.

This has nothing to do with "special agency discounts"- what the TA provided was literally less than zero. She utterly failed to live up to what she promised- that is, to apply any discounts as they came out.

I would waste no time leaving the first one and moving on to the second.

The OP said the TA didn't even apply the discounts available to the general public.

This has nothing to do with "special agency discounts"- what the TA provided was literally less than zero. She utterly failed to live up to what she promised- that is, to apply any discounts as they came out.

I would waste no time leaving the first one and moving on to the second.
OP said that none applied not that the TA didn't apply the discounts.
OP has 10 people for a specific resort, and it looks like specific dates (at a time when apparently another agency has booked a large block of rooms at a convention rate). It is possible that there was no availability for the discount.

Well, specifically what she said was,
She assured me that she would add any discounts that came out as they happened. Well now the spring discounts are out and none applied to our dates/rooms.
To me, this means her reservations are not eligible for any discounts, i.e. none available at her resort for her rates - not that the TA didn't follow through.

Now, if she meant to say, "...and none were applied...", that's different. But at least have a conversation with the original TA.

OP said that none applied not that the TA didn't apply the discounts.
OP has 10 people for a specific resort, and it looks like specific dates (at a time when apparently another agency has booked a large block of rooms at a convention rate). It is possible that there was no availability for the discount.

Well, specifically what she said was,
To me, this means her reservations are not eligible for any discounts, i.e. none available at her resort for her rates - not that the TA didn't follow through.

Now, if she meant to say, "...and none were applied...", that's different. But at least have a conversation with the original TA.

There are a ton of discounts available for this summer. If the TA knows what she's doing, she would have booked rooms that would be eligible for a discount (which are fairly predictable based on previous discounts), or would have changed those when the discounts came out. I travel to Disney pretty infrequently and even I know this. At the very least, the availability (or lack thereof) of discounts should have triggered a conversation to discuss the alternatives, given the amount of money we're talking about- it's not up to the OP to figure out which room categories and/or discounts qualify and which don't- that's the TA's job and she failed.

That would be like having a sore throat, and asking the doctor for a tonsillectomy, even though antibiotics would cure the problem. It's incumbent upon the doctor to advise you that there is a better way to go. It's incumbent upon the TA to advise the OP of the very same thing. That's what professionals do- you are paying for their advice and (presumably) better knowledge of the situation. If you want someone to only do what you tell them to do, you go to the Disney website.

Which, in retrospect, might have been a better idea.

A good TA would be vigilant looking for deals for this party who is spending a ton of money for an epic trip.

My advice to the OP remains the same- thank the original TA for her time and move on, quickly.

Last edited:
There are a ton of discounts available for this summer. If the TA knows what she's doing, she would have booked rooms that would be eligible for a discount (which are fairly predictable based on previous discounts), or would have changed those when the discounts came out. I travel to Disney pretty infrequently and even I know this. At the very least, the availability (or lack thereof) of discounts should have triggered a conversation to discuss the alternatives, given the amount of money we're talking about. The OP is justifiably upset that discounts became available and for whatever reason, they were not applied. The upshot of it is, the OP could have done better her/himself.

A good TA would be vigilant looking for deals for this party who is spending a ton of money for an epic trip. There is no value added with this TA. My advice to the OP remains the same- thank the original TA for her time and move on, quickly.

I travel to Disney very frequently and there is ZERO ability to predict what will be put in discount inventory. It is complete luck of the draw if your resort and room category happen to pop up for the dates you are traveling. I don't think anyone is arguing that OP shouldn't be disappointed that discounts were not available for the rooms she booked, but there is no way this TA had a crystal ball and could have predicted that. Particularly at the Poly. Over the years, discounts at the Poly have become extremely hard to come by. Could the TA have discussed alternatives? Yes, absolutely.

I travel to Disney very frequently and there is ZERO ability to predict what will be put in discount inventory. It is complete luck of the draw if your resort and room category happen to pop up for the dates you are traveling. I don't think anyone is arguing that OP shouldn't be disappointed that discounts were not available for the rooms she booked, but there is no way this TA had a crystal ball and could have predicted that. Particularly at the Poly. Over the years, discounts at the Poly have become extremely hard to come by. Could the TA have discussed alternatives? Yes, absolutely.
I did not say the TA needed a crystal ball. I said discounts were fairly predictable. You yourself lay out an excellent example of this knowledge: Discounts at the Poly have become very hard to come by. This is the kind of thing a TA could figure out looking back over the past few years. You would make a great travel agent! (Maybe you are one?) :)

But there are many rooms that are frequently discounted- the EPCOT area resorts, for instance. It's hyperbole to suggest that there is zero predictability in this regard. We talk about it all the time on these boards- which rooms are likely to have discounts and which rarely do. A glance back at the last few years of discounts would easily yield advice that could have been dispensed to the client, but was not.

Please don't expect any further responses from me on this topic- I mean no disrespect to anyone, including the many excellent TA's everywhere. We all have our opinions of what to expect from a TA. But the OP has experienced an emotionally & possibly financially exhausting event which is not over yet. The best course of action for him/her is to move on.

Last edited:
My sister is a travel agent, and typically if one travel agent gives you a better price than another it's because they're taking it out of their own commission. I didn't read through all the replies, but It's very strange that one TA could get a more significant discount than the other. Unless the original agent didn't know how to apply the discount, or didn't know what she was doing. Anyone can get 20-30% off rack rate booking directly from the website as long as it's a hotel with availability for that discount. I don't think this has anything to do with a TA. But travel agents do take money off of their own commission to give discounts. But this sounds more like your original agent booked the room without the discount and now doesn't know how to apply the discount. If another TA has quoted you a lower price I'm assuming the discount is available for your dates and hotel. Unless...it's the 2nd travel agent that's wrong.
No. I think you have misunderstood. There is a well known, but seldom mentioned Travel Agent, that is able to book convention rates. Not all travel agents have this ability. It is not coming from their commission like your sister.

No. I think you have misunderstood. There is a well known, but seldom mentioned Travel Agent, that is able to book convention rates. Not all travel agents have this ability. It is not coming from their commission like your sister.

Yes after I read through the rest of the replies I now understand. But this was news to me... what is a convention agent? do they have to book parties of a certain size to apply the discount?

If the TA knows what she's doing, she would have booked rooms that would be eligible for a discount
This would depend on the client's flexibility.
At the very least, the availability (or lack thereof) of discounts should have triggered a conversation to discuss the alternatives,
It may have. All due respect to the OP, we're only get her version.
That would be like having a sore throat, and asking the doctor for a tonsillectomy, even though antibiotics would cure the problem.
Not the best example. Most strep is viral.

DIS is not the typical Disney customer. A lot of people book a specific resort for reasons other then price. A lot of people don't constantly check for price drops. A person asks a TA to book the POLY. It's borderline insulting to suggest a less expensive resort..to even suggest POLY might be less likely to get future discounts. The TA booked exactly what the OP asked and at a price the OP was willing to pay.

You found a TA that has a group booking that works with your dates. The first TA didn't treat you badly. Significant price savings book with the new TA then cancel. Your original TA booked restaurant reservations as a courtesy to a customer. I don't see anything wrong with the TA calling to cancel those restaurant reservations. Another poster said it was work product.

DIS doesn't allow mentioning other TAs. I don't think TAs with group bookings are allowed to promote the exact details (rates) to the general public.

FWIW a "regular" TA has access to the exact same rates and promotions which are available to us. A TA might be able to move quicker when discounts for the public are available. A TA might take the time to make FPs and ADRs for you. Many of us find it easier to take of our own reservations. Others prefer to have a TA handle those details.

JMO the original TA didn't do anything wrong. The OP got exactly what was promised. It's certainly ethical to cancel and rebook. It's probably ethical for your original TA to cancel whatever that TA booked.

Thanks to everyone who corrected my mistake on having to buy tickets to book a package with dining. Didn’t know you could get that by calling since the website still requires you to add tickets. And we have APs & have gotten TIW so haven’t booked the dining plans in years. Just another strange Disney quirk I guess. :rotfl2:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter