• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Elephant in the room....

Yes DVD needs to do something not sure what though, could be they need to go back to a minimum point purchase but at the cost of points today what would that number be? Also what would they do about owners who want to add on to keep smaller contracts like 25 to 75 points from hitting resale? Require them to be added to the main contract an if sold the entire contract has to be sold? This would help limit people going forward from not having enough points to book something other than a studio but what if all they want or need is a studio? The real fix going forward is to build resorts based upon actual usage.
Interesting thoughts.

re: the section in bold, above; Minimum point balance
Here is how another major points system, launched just prior to DVC, addresses this issue. Worldmark sets "5000 credits" (aka points) as the minimum account size. 5000 credits will secure a studio unit for 7 nights in "white-season" (mid-demand in a points chart that offers only three seasons: Red (High), White (Mid) and Blue (Low) or a 2BR unit for 7 nights in "blue-season (low-demand)).

There are no accounts smaller than 5000 credits. However, you may buy or sell, both privately (resale) and direct, in increments as little as 1000 credits. I've purchased 2000, when needed, and twice sold chunks of just 1000 credits.

If buying 5000 or more credits, either direct or resale, you have the choice of keeping the purchase as a separate account (new/additional membership) or merging them into an existing account. If buying fewer than 5000 credits you must merge them into an existing account.

If DVC had implemented, or could introduce a similar one retroactively, it might set a minimum ownership at 100 points (semi-random number). No one could close on the purchase of a contract with fewer than 100 points if they were not already an owner of 100+ points. However, small contracts could be purchased by existing members. In reality, this isn't likely to happen for at least two reasons: (a) DVC contracts are maintained separately and not "merged" into an owner's account balance; (b) DVC historically honors (grandfathers) its past policies.

re: the section in red above; guest's need/want
I do not feel that a points-based system must accommodate a guest's minimal need or want. Rather, I feel it must accommodate the maximum. That is, in this view, nobody truly requires a studio. While the studio might meet their minimal requirements/need ... any available unit in the system does the same. (Exception: for reasons that escape my comprehension, DVC chose to allow 5 in some studios but only 4 in some 1BR units. This occupancy inversion negates 1BR units from filling the minimum requirement for some guests. In this case, the guest may still choose a 2BR, 3BR or present specialty unit type (Beach Cottage, Treehouse, Bungalow or Cabin).)

The guest who truly wants a studio should be prepared to be content when they can book a studio but also ready/willing to accept a larger unit if these are available for their given dates. Put otherwise, flexibility works both ways: the points system offers flexibility in location, unit size, length of stay, arrival date; and likewise the guest must also remain flexible when booking. If their desired combo of location + unit size + length of stay + arrival date aren't available then they might adjust one or more criteria when booking a reservation. The system is designed to fit all the members, somewhere, each year. Some members might have to choose between booking a shorter length of stay in a larger unit type or allowing their points to expire (go to 'breakage') to maintain balance in the system.

re: the section in purple above; building resorts on actual usage
Quite a worthy goal, can it truly be done? Can each new resort, going forward as you placed that stipulation, truly meet both the needs of the 'home resort' owner and the fancies of the larger membership? Perhaps DVC's 'home resort' policy might be hindrance in this effort especially given DVC's recent history of flooding sales with the building of expensive (high point value) specialty units like the Bungalows.

Good thoughts! Thanks for adding these to the dialog. :)

Last edited:
The real fix going forward is to build resorts based upon actual usage.
In essence they may have thought that was part of the justification for PVB being studios only. It's the most popular. But it didn't sell quite as well as expected because of that. And of course they couldn't resist the Bungalows and all the points they could sell with those. Then with CCV? Right back to the same room allocations but now with Cabin points! So its even worse for studio bookings than ever before. A points system like DVC is always going to be a balancing act but the flexibility was a selling point for me and I'd rather this than being guaranteed a particular room a particular week.

In essence they may have thought that was part of the justification for PVB being studios only. It's the most popular. But it didn't sell quite as well as expected because of that. And of course they couldn't resist the Bungalows and all the points they could sell with those. Then with CCV? Right back to the same room allocations but now with Cabin points! So its even worse for studio bookings than ever before. A points system like DVC is always going to be a balancing act but the flexibility was a selling point for me and I'd rather this than being guaranteed a particular room a particular week.
They need to build units that can be converted to create studios, 1,2 or 3 bedrooms.

They need to build units that can be converted to create studios, 1,2 or 3 bedrooms.

Well that would certainly give them an increased opportunity with the lock-off premiums.

In general, I'm still good with the relative designs they have but they likely would do better by members if they increased the overall percentage of studios vs 1 and 2BR's.

And if they do any more "special" villas to not be so greedy with the points.

Well that would certainly give them an increased opportunity with the lock-off premiums.

In general, I'm still good with the relative designs they have but they likely would do better by members if they increased the overall percentage of studios vs 1 and 2BR's.

And if they do any more "special" villas to not be so greedy with the points.
So agree. A cabin would work nicely for an upcoming trip with friends and be so different. Points are prohibitive though.

DVC "jumped the shark" with PVB.

I completely agree that someone with 50 points has the same right as someone with 1000 points. The load and maintenance on small contracts is a drag on the system. I'd much rather manage a database of 10 people with 1000 points than 1000 people with 10 points. When the system is slow or crashes, when hold times on the phone or chat increase, when the add staff to assist DVC owners (phone/chat), when they can't manage to sent out a email to everyone ...

The issue is with the number of people competing. And that DVC isn't making small contract buyers aware of the competition.

Just my opinion ... Except for when DVC jump the shark :)

THey kind of have already done that, except for 3 bedrooms. A lockoff makes a studio and 1 bedroom OR a two bedroom unit. They could make a unit with an additional lock-off studio for a 3 bedroom, but the design of where to attach it to the one bedroom would probably be a bit awkward....and then where to put a dining table large enough to accommodate 8 people comfortably in the 1 bedroom portion...so that the dining table and outdoor table on the balcony could seat 12 people for a meal...

With a points based time share, it is always going to be first come first serve within the rules of the game. Any change to this changes the product. Right now one gets home resort priority for 4 months. The POS only guarantees 1. In terms of walking, the problem is the only way to truly fix is to not allow changes without a cancel and rebook. But that would have a huge impact on way more reservations than those walked. Sometimes I book a week of vacation because at 11 months I am not sure what 4 days within that week I will be going. When airfare comes out or I firm up my travel partners, I adjust. If I had to completely cancel and rebook that would be far greater issue for me than those that work. The fix, IMO, is worse than the problem. Now, in terms of people owning a low number, it doesn’t bother me because regardless of level, they have a right to the rooms as much as I do with my 800, soon to be 1000 points. I choose to simply understand best I can includIng what is going to be frustrating and make it work in my favor as best I can.

Would the walking problem be better if they limited how many days you can walk before requiring you to cancel and start a new reservation? I understand your point and maybe allowing up to 5 walking days would work. I've read where some members will walk for many weeks and this just seems like a bad idea. Also, I think I read where people walking get first shot at modifying their reservations before people starting theirs. If no one had an advantage, that might be better.

Disney deals with millions of people every year. There currently is an issue with booking reservations, walking, ect. They have to do SOMETHING.

I do what I have to within the system to book my home resort/dates I want. It’s not outside the realm of possibility to suppose that walking encourages adding onto existing contracts, a win for DVC.

I’d like to think walking cuts down on the professional renters grabbing the choice dates for studios.

If you are dissatisfied, then by all means contact member services with your concerns. It appears they did listen as to the 2020 point charts. Otherwise, to quote Ms. Grande: “thank you - next”. :confused3

It’s not an issue until it directly effects DVC’s bottom lin

I’d like to think walking cuts down on the professional renters grabbing the choice dates for studios.

I'm not sure that is true. If you are an owner that wants to grab a highly popular time as a possible rental, you'd just walk right along with everyone else. And knowing they could make a profit, may encourage them to be online even more promptly to do so.

I'm not sure that is true. If you are an owner that wants to grab a highly popular time as a possible rental, you'd just walk right along with everyone else. And knowing they could make a profit, may encourage them to be online even more promptly to do so.

Could be, especially for a member who only rents on occasion. I was moreso thinking about the corporate-type rental companies, not sure how they roll in that regard.

any change to your reservation cost 1 point per night..... walking resolved !! AND/OR DVC can cover costs of staff while accumulating points for the mouse. That would seriously decrease walkers

any change to your reservation cost 1 point per night..... walking resolved !! AND/OR DVC can cover costs of staff while accumulating points for the mouse. That would seriously decrease walkers
But that will penalize stalkers AND walkers. We’ve taken to booking fairly last minute & stalking to get where we want. I don’t think everyone should be penalized for the actions of some.

If someone’s obviously been walking & they want to stop it, then MS should STOP telling people about it and maybe freeze the walkers acct for 24 hrs to disrupt the walk.

But that will penalize stalkers AND walkers. We’ve taken to booking fairly last minute & stalking to get where we want. I don’t think everyone should be penalized for the actions of some.

If someone’s obviously been walking & they want to stop it, then MS should STOP telling people about it and maybe freeze the walkers acct for 24 hrs to disrupt the walk.

How would MS be within their rights to freeze anyone's accounts for walking? It seems like all of the fixes that people come up with are either worse than the disease so to speak or not allowed based on our contracts.

How would MS be within their rights to freeze anyone's accounts for walking? It seems like all of the fixes that people come up with are either worse than the disease so to speak or not allowed based on our contracts.
They wouldn’t. Just like they couldn’t take points for reservation changes either. We’re simply going to have to accept the walking.

They wouldn’t. Just like they couldn’t take points for reservation changes either. We’re simply going to have to accept the walking.
They could stop walking by only allowing up to like no more than 3 modifications to a reservation and after that you would have to cancel it and create a new reservation.

They could stop walking by only allowing up to like no more than 3 modifications to a reservation and after that you would have to cancel it and create a new reservation.
& as I pointed out, you’d be penalizing those who piece together reservations. Why should they be penalized because of walkers, who are technically not doing anything wrong?

& as I pointed out, you’d be penalizing those who piece together reservations. Why should they be penalized because of walkers, who are technically not doing anything wrong?
DVD will only try and stop walking if they think it is a problem. Apparently at this time they don’t see it as a problem since they only made it easier to do online. But if they do determine it is a problem I am sure they can figure out the difference between who is walking and who is trying to piece together reservations, but then again if they curtail walking , people may not have to piece together their vacation in the walkers cast off days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter