Elephant in the room....

The stadium (DVC) sees this as a problem and is now starting to check tickets. So... either buy better seats or sit in the seats you paid for. Im sorry, but 100pts isnt a lot of points so you dont have much skin in the game. Buy more points so u can stay in better rooms (1br /2br) or spend up for the better resorts (11 month advantage). The old..... buy cheap points, trade in at 7 months routine has RAN ITS COURSE and is NOT effective anymore. I am really sorry and sad about it too. So how do we deal with it ??

That's just a weird comment. No skin in the game? Tell that to my bank account when I bought only 100 points a few years ago!

As an adult with grown children, 100 points has been more than enough. I am sorry that our use of the studios has made it harder for you. I am pretty sure that DVC is supposed to work for every type of family.

We have no need for a 1bedroom or greater. It is just myself and my spouse. Anything more than a studio is a waste for us. .

s. So... either buy better seats or sit in the seats you paid for. Im sorry, but 100pts isnt a lot of points so you dont have much skin in the game. Buy more points so u can stay in better rooms (1br /2br) or spend up for the better resorts (11 month advantage)

I agree. Disney is a privilege and not a right. I am totally fine with some folks getting priced out of a Disney vacation. Supply and demand rules apply here. Raise the prices and thin out some of the people who are going 20-50 nights a year.

It stinks, some folks may never be able to afford a Disney vacation then, but the current crowds take away from the enjoyment.

Well...to be fair...DVC keeps changing up it's own rules with all the restrictions they add and other crap they pull (or try to, like the 2020 points reallocation which, thank goodness, they reversed). So what I thought I was buying in 2006 has changed quite a bit. But I roll with the punches. All you can do...or sell.

Wait...they reversed the 2020 point reallocation...how did I miss that?!

I hate the walking thing. But as an owner at AKV there are times I wish to book a 2BR value or a club level studio, both of which are nearly impossible to book (even during slow times) and this is really the only way. I have pondered this situation over and over again and the best I could come up with was to prohibit changes to arrival dates for the following 10 days after it was initially made (maybe only if 10 months or more from arrival). Then allow unlimited changes after that. That would seemingly prevent walking while allowing later adjustments to travel plans.

To me, the elephant is the problem Disney created by setting Studio room occupancy equal to or greater than 1BR units. Occupancy, rather than point values, should have been a greater priority when educating guests/owners on mapping both their purchase and booking strategies. As that horse has already left the barn ... Disney ought to be incentivizing owners to purchase sufficient points to book those larger units.
I recently did the math on what the cost of a point at OKW from 1992 would be in today's dollars, and it would be about $95, yet today's direct prices are either just under double that or more than double that. Disney has priced out people from being able to afford to purchase large number of points. If minimum was still 230, you'd have to spend $39,480 after incentives just to get in. As it stands, if you want enough points to go during the summer in a studio, with a little wiggle room (say, 150) that's still $26,900.

No!! How did I miss this!! Are they new posts or the end of the original 2020 point charts points that we're started when the chart was fisrt released?
I think both...new thread and in the original. It was like 4 nights ago (1/25 around 7:50pm), someone posted an e-mail they got back. Many folks had been emailing and calling DVC to complain or whatnot and one person got this response back (and then the point charts on member website stated REVISED on them and they are very much like 2019 charts):

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for reaching out to our team.

Disney Vacation Club Management has revised the 2020 Vacation Points Charts originally posted on the Member website on Dec. 19, 2018.

As we have stated, the reallocation of vacation point values is outlined in the Membership Agreement and is an important part of meeting Members’ needs and expectations.

The originally posted 2020 Vacation Points Charts were consistent with the Membership Agreement. However, Disney Vacation Club Management listened to our Members’ feedback and decided to more closely align them with the 2019 Vacation Points Charts, with some adjustments for the 2020 calendar.

This will give Disney Vacation Club Management time to further analyze demand and usage patterns, along with Member feedback, and adjust Vacation Points Charts for 2021 and beyond, as appropriate.

Thank you,

Yvonne

Yvonne Chang

Director, Club Management & Regulatory Affairs

Last edited:
I by no means intend on offending anyone with this message. It is something I read about here in every forum and believe people are not being honest with themselves.

Disney deals with millions of people every year. There currently is an issue with booking reservations, walking, ect. They have to do SOMETHING.

Let me see if I can relate the DVC to a baseball game. Tons of fans buy the cheapest ticket they can all the way at the top of the stadium, when the game starts, they try to move down to field level. Now those same ppl are complaining that they cant get a seat because they are all filled....

The stadium (DVC) sees this as a problem and is now starting to check tickets. So... either buy better seats or sit in the seats you paid for. Im sorry, but 100pts isnt a lot of points so you dont have much skin in the game. Buy more points so u can stay in better rooms (1br /2br) or spend up for the better resorts (11 month advantage). The old..... buy cheap points, trade in at 7 months routine has RAN ITS COURSE and is NOT effective anymore. I am really sorry and sad about it too. So how do we deal with it ??

We are a family, it just seems like people want to enable some other members and say, "Sure, buy 50 points and bank & borrow... you will be fine. I gotta tell you, 50 points is like, 2 nights, that's not a vacation. If you wanna stay, you gotta pay. Please stop watering down our product. Disney is expensive, it is also magical. I have always heard, you dont get something for nothing. Lets just try a little more of the honest, tough love with our advice. It is'nt personal, I have no idea who most of you are. If you want to know "if DVC is for me ?" ask yourself, are you prepared to save SOME money but spend EVEN MORE than you do now?? if the answer is YES, then DVC is for you. GBA (God Bless America)

It's a points based system with no specific room guaranteed. That's the framework for the entire timeshare since day 1. A FLEXIBLE points system and first come first served. Only those who bought the more recently offered fixed weeks get a guarantee. How to deal with it? Either learn how to deal or sell if it doesn't work for you.

I bought 100 points resale. 50 at BLT and 50 at VWL in 2011. I paid about $8k and feel like I bought the right amount of points for my family at the right value. I’ve never stayed in anything but a studio and never will. I bought where I’m happy to stay if nothing else is free at 7 mos. we travel a lot and only go to Disney every 2-3 years. We stay 12-14 nights in the years we do go in a couple of different stays.

It’s really irrelevant the number of points any one person has. If the studio is available when they go to book and you wanted that room, you should have been faster to the mouse click.

I think both...new thread and in the original. It was like 4 nights ago (1/25 around 7:50pm), someone posted an e-mail they got back. Many folks had been emailing and calling DVC to complain or whatnot and one person got this response back (and then the point charts on member website stated REVISED on them and they are very much like 2019 charts):

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for reaching out to our team.

Disney Vacation Club Management has revised the 2020 Vacation Points Charts originally posted on the Member website on Dec. 19, 2018.

As we have stated, the reallocation of vacation point values is outlined in the Membership Agreement and is an important part of meeting Members’ needs and expectations.

The originally posted 2020 Vacation Points Charts were consistent with the Membership Agreement. However, Disney Vacation Club Management listened to our Members’ feedback and decided to more closely align them with the 2019 Vacation Points Charts, with some adjustments for the 2020 calendar.

This will give Disney Vacation Club Management time to further analyze demand and usage patterns, along with Member feedback, and adjust Vacation Points Charts for 2021 and beyond, as appropriate.

Thank you,

Yvonne

Yvonne Chang

Director, Club Management & Regulatory Affairs

Thanks! I guess I have some reading to do!

I hate the walking thing. But as an owner at AKV there are times I wish to book a 2BR value or a club level studio, both of which are nearly impossible to book (even during slow times) and this is really the only way. I have pondered this situation over and over again and the best I could come up with was to prohibit changes to arrival dates for the following 10 days after it was initially made (maybe only if 10 months or more from arrival). Then allow unlimited changes after that. That would seemingly prevent walking while allowing later adjustments to travel plans.
Unfortunately I don't think DVD has any plans on stopping walking anytime soon since they now allow it to be done online without having to call in. I have never walked but I will if a room I want is in high demand. The system as it sits now rewards walkers and punishes those who don't.

I by no means intend on offending anyone with this message. It is something I read about here in every forum and believe people are not being honest with themselves.

Disney deals with millions of people every year. There currently is an issue with booking reservations, walking, ect. They have to do SOMETHING.

Let me see if I can relate the DVC to a baseball game. Tons of fans buy the cheapest ticket they can all the way at the top of the stadium, when the game starts, they try to move down to field level. Now those same ppl are complaining that they cant get a seat because they are all filled....

We are a family, it just seems like people want to enable some other members and say, "Sure, buy 50 points and bank & borrow... you will be fine. I gotta tell you, 50 points is like, 2 nights, that's not a vacation. If you wanna stay, you gotta pay. Please stop watering down our product. Disney is expensive, it is also magical. I have always heard, you dont get something for nothing. Lets just try a little more of the honest, tough love with our advice. It is'nt personal, I have no idea who most of you are. If you want to know "if DVC is for me ?" ask yourself, are you prepared to save SOME money but spend EVEN MORE than you do now?? if the answer is YES, then DVC is for you. GBA (God Bless America)
Yes DVD needs to do something not sure what though, could be they need to go back to a minimum point purchase but at the cost of points today what would that number be? Also what would they do about owners who want to add on to keep smaller contracts like 25 to 75 points from hitting resale? Require them to be added to the main contract an if sold the entire contract has to be sold? This would help limit people going forward from not having enough points to book something other than a studio but what if all they want or need is a studio? The real fix going forward is to build resorts based upon actual usage.

I started with 50 points resale at old key west to try it in like 2010, bought 30 more direct before price hikes a few years ago so I had "disney points" and because I wanted a 30 point add on and couldn't find it resale. We go every other year... I don't want to go every year, we alternate between some other vacation one year and disney the next. That said I can stay for about 2 weeks in an old key west studio with my 160 points every other year and have had 0 trouble trading out at 7 months... do I always get my first pic... no, but thats ok I know I bought cheap old key west points.... our next stay is at VGF .... using the points I paid an average of 90$ per point to own (avg resale and direct from disney price).... Disney made the system I just use it... I have stayed at AKL, Boardwalk, Contemporary, VWL .... now if i couldn't switch at 7 months I wouldn't be angry etc.... but as long as I can I will... one trip we wanted to stay for longer as the points don't stretch as far in the newer resorts so we stuck with OKW but usually we only have a week that we can get off at a time.... so I try to move and have thus far always been successful with moving somewhere else... not always my first pick... and that's ok, thats how the system works...... and why I bought into it.... oh and I have never even once walked a reservation..... not even to get the contemporary the first week in december... it was a waitlist though and it just happened to come through so that was some nice pixi dust

I started with 50 points resale at old key west to try it in like 2010, bought 30 more direct before price hikes a few years ago so I had "disney points" and because I wanted a 30 point add on and couldn't find it resale. We go every other year... I don't want to go every year, we alternate between some other vacation one year and disney the next. That said I can stay for about 2 weeks in an old key west studio with my 160 points every other year and have had 0 trouble trading out at 7 months... do I always get my first pic... no, but thats ok I know I bought cheap old key west points.... our next stay is at VGF .... using the points I paid an average of 90$ per point to own (avg resale and direct from disney price).... Disney made the system I just use it... I have stayed at AKL, Boardwalk, Contemporary, VWL .... now if i couldn't switch at 7 months I wouldn't be angry etc.... but as long as I can I will... one trip we wanted to stay for longer as the points don't stretch as far in the newer resorts so we stuck with OKW but usually we only have a week that we can get off at a time.... so I try to move and have thus far always been successful with moving somewhere else... not always my first pick... and that's ok, thats how the system works...... and why I bought into it.... oh and I have never even once walked a reservation..... not even to get the contemporary the first week in december... it was a waitlist though and it just happened to come through so that was some nice pixi dust
Can't really walk at 7 months anyway...I suppose you could but the resie will have been there for 4 months already as will what you're walking to and may hit a roadblock. Walking is more an 11 month thing cause you grab as the resies open at 11 months.

But this is pretty much us with our OKW. I use those points all over at 7 months out. I like the option of bopping around each trip. And each trip is different...what we want to do, who we're with...and may be better suited with one resort over another. Like if we're not doing heavy park time, SSR or AKV might be better. If we have 7 folks in 1 room, OKW 2BR might be ideal. Have all 3 college kids, the extra bathrooms of BLT/Kidani might be ideal. F&W...BWV or BCV are best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter