DVC temporary policy rooms now between 4pm and 6pm?

I'm curious how rooms per day are turned over each day. Not just take trash/towels, but clean for new guests. Since the day by day cleaning has been reduced , shouldn't that balance out with the bigger cleaning at the end of the stay.

Sorry but finding quality help is still a valid excuse for most companies even after 2 years. It used to take the company I work for a couple of weeks to find warehouse help, now it takes months.

It can be a reason, no question. But then you do something to support the guests when you can can’t meet the obligations of your contract.

If part of the contract with them is to prepare our rooms for our stay, and they can’t meet those obligations, then they should offer guests…owners…something…as an I’m sorry…like a free day of GP+…a $25 GC…because if they cant staff, then its on them.

But, much of this can be mitigated by releasing all clean rooms to any guests who have already arrived and made that known to the front desk.

I was there once, waiting on my room and it was 4:15 pm I overheard a new group checking in and they had their room ready. It was the same room type I had been waiting on.

I go to the desk and they tell me mine is still not ready…I ask why I wasn’t given that one and was told because it wasn’t my assigned room.

IMO, that is part of the problem. I asked to speak to a manager and shared my thoughts..they changed me to a clean room right away and then gave me FPs for my trouble.

So, they do have ways to lesson those waiting and one is to give rooms on a first come first serve basis once that 4 pm time hits.

Sooooooo….. after reading the above post, I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra $$ to fly in at 2pm.

we have flights getting us in at 4:40, was going to change the flight so we get in at 1:40pm. Any advice? Maybe we should keep the 4:40pm arrival time and use the extra $$ twds uber?

It’s worth it if you want some extra time in the parks or at the pool. But if having your room ready on time is a big deal, it may not be.

I have been fortunate and not have to wait for rooms beyond 4:15 ish more than a few times…and over the past year, always had them on time.

But I only worry about getting in hours early when my plans are such that we want to hit the park or Disney Springs day 1

But I think in the pecking order, getting into a room by 4pm should take precedence over fulfilling room requests.
We all have different "wants". If I have to wait 2 or 3 hours after 4 to get my room request filled, I'm OK with that. You would prefer any early room rather than a requested room. Disney can't please all of us.

And that's true of the cash resorts. The DVC resorts do not have that discretion, because they are owned by the Members collectively. This is why the DVC resorts opened for Member stays before the Parks were even opened. For all we know, the DVC resorts do have priority in hiring new staff because of this, but that doesn't make it easy.

Front-line service folks are somewhat notorious for making things up to deflect a customer who is or might become angry at them for something they didn't do or couldn't control---in this case, the progress (or lack thereof) of housekeeping.

I doubt very much that the first anyone has heard of a policy change in DVC check-in times is going to be from a front-line CM making a one-off comment.
It was the bus driver!

For everyone that is happy to think that it is OK for Disney to have 6 PM checking in times well after 4 PM, please state on your online checkin form that a late check in for Your Room Reservation is OK with you and that you will be happy that people can get their 4/-5 PM checkin times before you because you think that it’s acceptable. That way everyone is happy

Everyone wants their room as early as possible. Some of us let it ruin our vacation when it doesn't happen, so of us don't.

With all due respect that’s just an ignorant statement. There are labor shortages everywhere right now affecting all levels of employment. Everything isn’t a conspiracy. Sometimes it just it what it is.
For the first time EVER, Disney is doing on-the-spot hiring at job fairs. As a life-long Anaheim resident, and former cast member going back to the 80's, even job fairs were almost unheard of. If Disney is hiring on the spot, they are desperate for labor, and that's just a simple fact. When I told my sister, a current 31-year CM about the on-the-spot hiring, she didn't believe me. I had to show her. I even heard a radio spot for one while while waiting at a car wash a week or so ago.

For the first time EVER, Disney is doing on-the-spot hiring at job fairs. As a life-long Anaheim resident, and former cast member going back to the 80's, even job fairs were almost unheard of. If Disney is hiring on the spot, they are desperate for labor, and that's just a simple fact. When I told my sister, a current 31-year CM about the on-the-spot hiring, she didn't believe me. I had to show her. I even heard a radio spot for one while while waiting at a car wash a week or so ago.

Yup big hiring bonuses as well.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...es-to-impact-walt-disney-world-operations.htm
"
Roles in culinary, housekeeping, custodial, and bus transportation remain challenging to fill. Disney is offering sign-on bonuses as high as $1500 for chef assistant roles, with numerous other positions offering $1000 bonuses.

In addition, Disney is offering $500 to $1000 referral bonuses to existing Cast Members who recruit new employees."

Yup big hiring bonuses as well.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...es-to-impact-walt-disney-world-operations.htm
"
Roles in culinary, housekeeping, custodial, and bus transportation remain challenging to fill. Disney is offering sign-on bonuses as high as $1500 for chef assistant roles, with numerous other positions offering $1000 bonuses.

In addition, Disney is offering $500 to $1000 referral bonuses to existing Cast Members who recruit new employees."
Yup, and that would be a virtually inconceivable (yes, I know what that word means) prospect in the past. For 50+ years, Disney could have almost charged YOU for the opportunity to work for them. There were always huge crowds at Casting, filled with eager applicants wearing their Sunday church clothes, and hoping to get called back for an interview (even same-day interviews at Casting were never guaranteed).

But yeah, same-day hiring, rates well above minimum wage, and signing bonuses is definitely part of Chapek's evil cost-cutting plan.

If part of the contract with them is to prepare our rooms for our stay, and they can’t meet those obligations, then they should offer guests…owners…something…as an I’m sorry…like a free day of GP+…a $25 GC…because if they cant staff, then its on them.

So I want to be very clear - in this circumstance, they DID offer to compensate me (mainly because they saw it happened twice in as many days). I am NOT complaining about how they handled this one - the handling / remediation was deal with professionally and appropriately by the CM (even if she was new). I even put in a cast compliment for her. I also have no beef with housekeeping.

I'm just saying that **IF** DVC is trying to change the rules to 4-6, then we should do something (assuming you care - maybe you don't and that's just fine).

Everyone wants their room as early as possible. Some of us let it ruin our vacation when it doesn't happen, so of us don't.
Someone said it ruined their vacation? That seems like a pretty drastic statement, can you point me to the post so I can read it please?

Yeah, I never said it ruined my vacation. In fact, I said the way the CM handled it was just fine. I was asking if anyone was aware if this was a new policy, and I later suggested that if you are not okay with it, that you speak up to management. That's hardly the same as saying my vacation was ruined.

So with only one report I'd have to say that the question has been answered. It isn't new policy.

Or at least isn't yet.

Doesn't sound like it. At least no one else has reported having heard that. I would still suggest that if you have a room that's 1+ hours late that you send a note to management. The only way they are going to do something is if we make noise. Whether or not you do that is of course your personal choice.

So I want to be very clear - in this circumstance, they DID offer to compensate me (mainly because they saw it happened twice in as many days). I am NOT complaining about how they handled this one - the handling / remediation was deal with professionally and appropriately by the CM (even if she was new). I even put in a cast compliment for her. I also have no beef with housekeeping.

I'm just saying that **IF** DVC is trying to change the rules to 4-6, then we should do something (assuming you care - maybe you don't and that's just fine).

Yeah, I never said it ruined my vacation. In fact, I said the way the CM handled it was just fine. I was asking if anyone was aware if this was a new policy, and I later suggested that if you are not okay with it, that you speak up to management. That's hardly the same as saying my vacation was ruined.

Doesn't sound like it. At least no one else has reported having heard that. I would still suggest that if you have a room that's 1+ hours late that you send a note to management. The only way they are going to do something is if we make noise. Whether or not you do that is of course your personal choice.

I am glad that they did handle it well because at least they recognized it was an issue!

As a follow-up, after asking a few friends and current/former CM's, it seems the consensus is that the last time Disney did a job fair (at least at Disneyland) was in 1999/2000 when they needed to ramp up for the opening of DCA/DTD/GCH.

Forget semantics about arrival times. Staffing is the issue.

If there is a belief that Disney Resort managers are incompetent or they're deliberately trying to cut costs, I'll just tap-out of the discussion. It's pretty well established that staffing is an issue virtually everywhere right now. Disney has housekeeping jobs posted for $17 per hour and I've read reports of them offering sign-on bonuses up to $6000 for some positions.

Are members willing to pay higher dues--now and forever--to eradicate this problem? If Disney raises housekeeping pay by 20%, it would cost owners an additional $.30-.40 per point, per year. More if the higher pay trickles into other positions.

What's the solution?

So if what you are saying is true, why isn't Disney dropping prices elsewhere? If they are paying out less in salary and services aren't as reliable there should be price drops since it isn't about money, right?

facebook twitter