DVC Dining Plan

They're guessing, they really are not directly involved with the DP other than in being a go between for adding it and the payment. I'd agree that there is no formal policy but I'd disagree on splitting meals being frowned upon by the restaurants. There really are 2 issues here, splitting meals and paying for a split meal using the DP. I can say with utmost confidence that splitting meals is not an issue and that paying for split meals where both are on the DP are not issues assuming non buffet's or similar. If you get outside those parameters the answers are more dicey such as when is not on the DP and one is. We've split meals at San Angel, Rose and Crown, Le Cellier, previous Italian, Coral Seas, Rainforest, T Rex, Portobello, WP cafe, Yachtsman, Ariel's, B&C, Cali Grill, Citricos, Narcoossee's, Liberty Tree, Mayan Grill, Pepper Market, Calico Jack's, HOB, Tony's, AP, Whisp Canyon, Seasons, Boatwrights, ESPN, Spoodles, Sanaa, Turf Club, Olivias, 50's PT, Moma Melrose, Brown Derby, Sci Fi, La Cantina, Fulton's, planet Holywood and Jiko. Most of these at least once on the DP. I can honestly say I've never been uncomfortable or had any hesitation or sense of eye rolling from the server's based on either splitting or on the DP while splitting. On several occasions they've suggested it including several signatures, more than once at Narcoossee's.

Fair enough. Obviously I have no personal experience, so it's nice to hear from someone who has successfully split meals on the DDP. The only other question I have is when you split a meal when both parties are on the DDP, do they still charge you for two meals?

Thanks for your info!

Fair enough. Obviously I have no personal experience, so it's nice to hear from someone who has successfully split meals on the DDP. The only other question I have is when you split a meal when both parties are on the DDP, do they still charge you for two meals?

Thanks for your info!
No, charged one credit; we're fairly light eaters making the DP usually too much food if we both get a full meal. Generally when we've gotten the DP it's included the appetizer (deluxe or previous with the basic). We frequently get the appy, entree and dessert from the DP and often pay OOP for a salad or second appy. Some places have desserts that are reasonable as an appy as well including cheese trays and fruit. Obviously that gives us potentially extra credits. We give ourselves more time to use them by arriving early (often for breakfast or an early lunch) and leaving later day of departure (at least lunch and often dinner). We often plan signatures for most days. We also often have more than one room so we can group those where the DP is beneficial and pay OOP where needed.

The exception would be that certain entrees and appys are aimed at 2 or more people. If you get those you must be using the proper number of credits.

In life we try to avoid AYCE, buffet's and similar. Occasionally at Disney we have to deviate from this approach for the sake of the experience (character meals mostly). It's unusual that we don't share in some way in general. We simply avoid the DP for trips where it doesn't work for us.

I just got a ressie though RCI for 2 bedroom at Boardwalk! :cool1:

I was considering the dining plan, but since we may not do disney every day of that week, it may not be worth it.

However, my husband may only make part of the week, and we won't know when until closer to the vacation. That being said, if we do NOT put my husband on the ressies (and we just buy him tickets for the amount of time he will be there), it is a problem if he stays in our room, we don't get him a meal plan, and we just pay out of pocket or he shares??

I just got a ressie though RCI for 2 bedroom at Boardwalk! :cool1:

I was considering the dining plan, but since we may not do disney every day of that week, it may not be worth it.

However, my husband may only make part of the week, and we won't know when until closer to the vacation. That being said, if we do NOT put my husband on the ressies (and we just buy him tickets for the amount of time he will be there), it is a problem if he stays in our room, we don't get him a meal plan, and we just pay out of pocket or he shares??
It's certainly against the rules and would be dishonest to plan this purposefully.

I just got a ressie though RCI for 2 bedroom at Boardwalk! :cool1: I was considering the dining plan, but since we may not do disney every day of that week, it may not be worth it. However, my husband may only make part of the week, and we won't know when until closer to the vacation. That being said, if we do NOT put my husband on the ressies (and we just buy him tickets for the amount of time he will be there), it is a problem if he stays in our room, we don't get him a meal plan, and we just pay out of pocket or he shares??
You should be able to add him the the reservation at check-in as long as he doesn't exceed the room occupancy. If you add him then, you won't have to buy the dining plan for him.

It's certainly against the rules and would be dishonest to plan this purposefully.

I had a feeling it was against the rules, but wasn't sure. He will go on the ressies and we most likely will pay out of pocket for food as it won't save us much money otherwise.

Now, heres hoping we get the dining reservations we want. 180 is coming up soon. I will be making those for 6 people, and then cancelling the ones that my husband won't be here for.

I had a feeling it was against the rules, but wasn't sure. He will go on the ressies and we most likely will pay out of pocket for food as it won't save us much money otherwise.

Now, heres hoping we get the dining reservations we want. 180 is coming up soon. I will be making those for 6 people, and then cancelling the ones that my husband won't be here for.
The current system puts DVC and the members in a catch 22. You have to pay and make changes at least 48 hrs in advance, that creates a no man's land area. IIRC we've had 3 or 4 occasions when we truly didn't know until arrival, or even later in the week, that someone was or was not going or was going but we were unsure if they were staying over. Ultimately it comes down to intent. They certainly could, and likely should, require additional payment for the LOS for anyone added later.

Since magic bands will most likely serve as your room key, your husband won't have a key and will not be entitled to early or late magic hours if not on the reservation. Sharing meals are frowned upon using the dining plans, but are able to do. There are numerous restaurants outside of the parks to use the dining plan. Less counter services though, each resort does have one or the pool bar has food also.

Since magic bands will most likely serve as your room key, your husband won't have a key and will not be entitled to early or late magic hours if not on the reservation. Sharing meals are frowned upon using the dining plans, but are able to do. There are numerous restaurants outside of the parks to use the dining plan. Less counter services though, each resort does have one or the pool bar has food also.
I think the issue is actually paying for someone else's meal not on the DP, per FAQ it's not allowed though they can be hit or miss in enforcement like any other Disney related issue.

You can share meals with others who are on the DDP, but you cannot share with anyone not on the DDP. We took a trip to WDW a few years ago and our family of 4 had DDP and my sister did not, and people made it very clear that we could NOT share meals with her. Usually she ordered her own entree OOP or sometimes she just got an appetizer. I don't drink soda so one time she ordered water and I got a soda and let her drink it, and they charged her for it. Just be aware that you will need to pay OOP for your DH's meals.

You can share meals with others who are on the DDP, but you cannot share with anyone not on the DDP. We took a trip to WDW a few years ago and our family of 4 had DDP and my sister did not, and people made it very clear that we could NOT share meals with her. Usually she ordered her own entree OOP or sometimes she just got an appetizer. I don't drink soda so one time she ordered water and I got a soda and let her drink it, and they charged her for it. Just be aware that you will need to pay OOP for your DH's meals.
I think your experience was an anomaly. We've done the DP many times with some on the plan and some not. And while we're not routinely sharing between those on the plan and those not, I've never had any one ever mention it as an issue as was your experience and I have had them not only suggest sharing between haves and have nots but also that we could use credits to pay for those not on the plan as well on a number of occasions. Still, the warning that they could be this strict for a given option is a valid one.

I saw that the dates of my stay are now included with free DDP. It was booked almost a year ago through DVC and I plan to call to see if we are eligible for free DDP, but does anyone know before I call if it might be possible that we would get free DDP? We have never used DDP before but it would be a huge savings if it's included! Thanks!

I saw that the dates of my stay are now included with free DDP. It was booked almost a year ago through DVC and I plan to call to see if we are eligible for free DDP, but does anyone know before I call if it might be possible that we would get free DDP? We have never used DDP before but it would be a huge savings if it's included! Thanks!

Stays booked with a DVC points are not eligible for free dining.

For free dining you pay rack rate for the room and have to purchase the required tickets.

So for DVC the cost is cheaper? :thumbsup2 I didn't realize it until I called and the CM quoted 58.66 for DDP per night/per person.

So for DVC the cost is cheaper? :thumbsup2 I didn't realize it until I called and the CM quoted 58.66 for DDP per night/per person.

For check-ins during the rest of 2014, yes. The DVC price will most likely be increased on 1/1/2015 to match the current CRO pricing.

if I rent DVC at BWI and want to purchase the dining plan, am I able to chose which plan I want or does it have to be deluxe. When do you think 2015 prices will be available?

if I rent DVC at BWI and want to purchase the dining plan, am I able to chose which plan I want or does it have to be deluxe. When do you think 2015 prices will be available?

You can choose the Quick Service Plan, the regular DDP or the Deluxe DDP.

I assume you mean BWV and renting directly from a member. I don't know how much you know about it otherwise so please forgive me if you know the rest of the info.

Thanks to erionm, here's the prices:Current CRO Pricing (effective 3/20/2014):

QSDP: $41.99 (adults), $16.03 (children) adult 10 and above kids 3-9 y/o
DDP: $60.04 (adults), $19.23 (children)
DxDP: $109.53 (adults), $29.86 (children)

Current DVC Pricing (effective 1/1/2014):
QSDP: $39.64 (adults), $15.75 (children)
DDP: $58.66 (adults), $18.88 (children)
DxDP: $104.94 (adults), $29.51 (children)

Notice that DVC is a little cheaper so as a minimum, you'll see that increase already in effect. My guess is for 2015 the prices will be somewhere around the following give or take.

QSDP: $42 (adults), $17 (children)
DDP: $62 (adults), $21 (children)
DxDP: $114 (adults), $31 (children)

It must be paid when ordered and done so at least 48 hrs ahead of checkin. It includes tax but not tip. You'll have to make payment arrangements with the person you rent from and if there are any changes, you'll have to work through them as well. It's use or lose so once you pass 48 hrs, the cost is gone no matter whether you show up or not. It must be for every person for the number of nights of LOS no matter time of arrival or departure and no matter how long someone is staying. Any unused credits are lost. For most people the DP doesn't save money or enough money to justify it so look at the menu's and your habits and decide if it's worth fooling with. Personally I want at least a 20% savings or added value (higher costs meals I actually want) partly due to the use or lose situation and partly due to the fact there are other discount options or I'll skip it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter