Does anyone else find this embarassing?

Yes, they do it on all lines including Celebrity. I can say that as a former Downtown Disney Cast Member, what's embarrassing (and disheartening) is when you're trying as hard as you can to get people excited and let loose and have some fun, and people sit there with dour, irritated looks on their faces like they can't wait for you to stop :confused3. My dad gets stodgy sometimes and we always tell him, "Just go with it, Dad. You might accidentally have a good time" ;).

Yes, they do it on all lines including Celebrity. I can say that as a former Downtown Disney Cast Member, what's embarrassing (and disheartening) is when you're trying as hard as you can to get people excited and let loose and have some fun, and people sit there with dour, irritated looks on their faces like they can't wait for you to stop :confused3. My dad gets stodgy sometimes and we always tell him, "Just go with it, Dad. You might accidentally have a good time" ;).
:thumbsup2

Sayhello

Why would it be embarrassing?

- Dreams

Some people feel embarrassed for others when the others are doing something that is silly (being concerned that the other person is embarrassed or feeling funny). I'm one of them. I can't even watch friends on stage or listen to them play music, since I'm always concerned that they will mess up and be embarrassed. (the one time I was honest with a friend about this, she dropped me...I know this isn't something that most people feel, and I know it isn't something that makes others happy, but I don't live my life for others) This might all stem from being in theater in HS and college, and having flubbed my lines horribly on stage, and never getting over it. (welcome to the therapy session LOL)

Anyway, I can't even watch sitcoms like Three's Company when they have the really embarrassing parts; I leave the room or scan it forward. DH thinks it's weird. DS does the same thing as me and has the same feeling I do, even though I try to not be obvious about why I suddenly need a drink of water during the high-tension sitcom scenes, LOL.

I don't like that kind of stuff either (you will NEVER see me at Whispering Canyon, and I wasn't a fan of the napkin thing at Chef Mickey that I've just now remembered they did), and now I have one more thing to be concerned about with this cruise. I don't remember anything like that happening on our RCCL Alaska honeymoon cruise, but maybe it was the evening we skipped the main dining room. Sigh.

(and I have been known to feel the same way for performing CMs at DLR and WDW. not all of them, but sometimes I wonder "how can they enjoy doing this?")

Do they do that on every cruise? I can't remember waiters parading on pur Dream cruise last year.
I have to admit that I don't really like things like that, I usually feel like I'm obligated to cheer and clap when I just want to sit and enjoy a show, meal, whatever.
A parade that takes a few minutes is ok for me, I go with the flow and participate out of politeness, the stupid, fake excitement and over the top cheering and clapping during the Shamu show at SeaWorld on the other hand, was so painful for my entire family that we will never go back there.

They didn't do it on the Fantasy a few weeks ago. They didn't do it on the Celebrity cruise we did last year. They always do it on Carnival.

No, I don't find it embarrassing.

I think in our case we were anxious to get out of dining room... Kids were restless. Waiter came to apologize that coffee and dessert will be delayed because he had to perform. The show maybe 10 minutes, but don't forget they have lots of tables so that 10 minutes is a 25 minute delay for dessert.
He was an older server, very good but very busy and I just felt bad for the guy.
Yes it's part of his job and yes he accepted the job but I would just rather the service.
There is tons of activities and entertainment on a cruise. I can go an hour at dinner without someone performing for me like a dancing bear.

Mind you in university I use to be a server and felt embarrassed singing happy bday at tables. So did 99 % of my co workers but as you say was part of job.

I feel embarrassed for the servers when they make them parade around and put on a show waving napkins etc.
Also seemed to interrupt the dinner service and distract the servers flow.
Their job is busy enough, if I want a show ill go to the theatre.

Anyone else feel this way or am I getting old and grumpy lol.

Meh...kinda but I get it..it's enjoyed by most and a lot of the servers probably enjoy it too. I used to be a restaurant manager at the MGM Grand and we had to do this ridiculous Conga line thing..I'm sure it went over well at night, but I worked days and I don't think all the hungover guests really wanted that blaring into their heads, but we still had to do it :)

rance said:
I feel embarrassed for the servers when they make them parade around and put on a show waving napkins etc.
Also seemed to interrupt the dinner service and distract the servers flow.
Their job is busy enough, if I want a show ill go to the theatre.

Anyone else feel this way or am I getting old and grumpy lol.

I must be getting old and grumpy, too. There are plenty of entertainment venues on these ships and I think the singing and dancing in the dining room is unnecessary. DCL, CCL, RCI, and Celebrity have all done it to some extent when I've cruised with them. I would prefer a well run dining room with polite, efficient and knowledgeable servers as opposed to conga lines, group songs, etc. On DCL, I certainly don't mind them "playing" with the kids at their tables (our last one did magic tricks) but the other stuff bothers me.

A previous poster mentioned not watching embarrassing sitcoms; I could never watch The Office!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I love the Goofy and Peter Pan hats that they make on the cruises-hope they never stop doing that-very fun seeing my parents celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and daddy's 79th birthday with a Peter Pan napkin hat on his head! I love the parade in Animator's Palate-just love the color changes! That never gets old!
Elizabeth:sail:

We just did B2B on the Dream and they didn't parade on the last night on either cruise. Kind of disappointed....it always seemed to make everyone so cheerful afterwards.

cmclaura said:
We just did B2B on the Dream and they didn't parade on the last night on either cruise. Kind of disappointed....it always seemed to make everyone so cheerful afterwards.

They don't do any of that on the Dream or Fantasy because the dining rooms are too big.

Some people feel embarrassed for others when the others are doing something that is silly (being concerned that the other person is embarrassed or feeling funny). I'm one of them. I can't even watch friends on stage or listen to them play music, since I'm always concerned that they will mess up and be embarrassed. (the one time I was honest with a friend about this, she dropped me...I know this isn't something that most people feel, and I know it isn't something that makes others happy, but I don't live my life for others) This might all stem from being in theater in HS and college, and having flubbed my lines horribly on stage, and never getting over it. (welcome to the therapy session LOL)

Anyway, I can't even watch sitcoms like Three's Company when they have the really embarrassing parts; I leave the room or scan it forward. DH thinks it's weird. DS does the same thing as me and has the same feeling I do, even though I try to not be obvious about why I suddenly need a drink of water during the high-tension sitcom scenes, LOL.

I don't like that kind of stuff either (you will NEVER see me at Whispering Canyon, and I wasn't a fan of the napkin thing at Chef Mickey that I've just now remembered they did), and now I have one more thing to be concerned about with this cruise. I don't remember anything like that happening on our RCCL Alaska honeymoon cruise, but maybe it was the evening we skipped the main dining room. Sigh.

(and I have been known to feel the same way for performing CMs at DLR and WDW. not all of them, but sometimes I wonder "how can they enjoy doing this?")

ITA with this.

For me, there's an additional layer on a cruise ship. It comes uncomfortably close to exploitation. I mean, most of these cruise workers are from disadvantaged, third world backgrounds. I always think of Bernie Mac in Ocean's Eleven, saying
Want me to get on the table and dance? Shine your shoes? Smile at you?
The idea being that expecting him, a black man, to perform was racist exploitation. I mean, the dynamic here is that mostly non-white, poor folks are making spectacles of themselves for the entertainment of comparatively affluent, mostly white people. It just makes me uncomfortable. They do it on most cruise lines, and I guess I can at least see some argument that on Disney it's for the kids, but, still, it makes me squirm and I'd rather not see it.

FWIW, I know this is also polarizing, but I have an issue with the people who befriend the staff on cruise ships. My in-laws are so bad about this. Asking lots of personal questions that I see as intrusive and they see as friendly. Because there's a power dynamic there, that the cruise line employee isn't really free to say "that's none of your business" or "reminding me of my kids is painful," because his/her pay depends on positive reviews. It seems exploitative to me. I wish cruisers would just be polite and appreciative of good service, and let people keep their own privacy and dignity if they choose not to voluntarily share. And I also don't want to encourage what I've seen people complain about here and re: other lines, where an employee overshares some really negative or inappropriate information (someone reported a server talking about seeing murders back home). I know lots of people who cruise think it's "stuck up" not to get so personal with the staff, so I know there are definitely two schools of thought.

Nope - doesn't bother me at all. Not that I'm a fan of the whole thing but it is what they get paid to do.

Manateesmom.... Great post.

There is a real power dynamic between passenger and staff. I also find it uncomfortable when our table mates said how aweful it must be for you not seeing your kids in 6 months. What's the server suppost to say to that. He was visibily sad as this person obviously can't relate to their world. Now the guy has to smile and dance for her in a show.
These jobs aren't really choices its what they have to do and if Disney says run around with a sparkler and dance they have to do it.

Its all part of the show and judging by the reaction of the diners, the overwelming majority enjoy it .....BIGTIME.:thumbsup2

Most line's do this as well!

AKK

That's an interesting way of looking at it--I never thought of that before. Personally, I LOVED the performance aspect of working for Disney. Especially with the kids, I found it a great deal of fun to generate energy in the audience and a contagious happiness in the crowd. I loved seeing the adults just let loose and be silly without feeling self-conscious, because I think that people need to lighten up sometimes and laughing and dancing like nobody's watching is good for the soul. So it wouldn't occur to me to be embarrassed for someone in that position. I love getting into it myself (can't wait for Pirate Night). Kids just have a refreshing way of approaching the world, like everything is new and joyful and exciting, and I love capturing that for myself and eliciting that in others. I can't say for DCL, but I know at Disneyland Resort parks, that most people who work there genuinely love making people happy no matter their position, including the performance aspect. You wouldn't believe the competition for performance roles. Because really, the pay and hours kind of suck :lmao:, yet people stay for a reason. I know DCL is different, pulling from a different pool of workers (internationally and often from disadvantaged countries), but my general assumption is that the staff enjoys doing it, especially when the crowd participates. Funny how our own experiences color our perception.

ITA with this.

For me, there's an additional layer on a cruise ship. It comes uncomfortably close to exploitation. I mean, most of these cruise workers are from disadvantaged, third world backgrounds. I always think of Bernie Mac in Ocean's Eleven, saying

The idea being that expecting him, a black man, to perform was racist exploitation. I mean, the dynamic here is that mostly non-white, poor folks are making spectacles of themselves for the entertainment of comparatively affluent, mostly white people. It just makes me uncomfortable. They do it on most cruise lines, and I guess I can at least see some argument that on Disney it's for the kids, but, still, it makes me squirm and I'd rather not see it.

FWIW, I know this is also polarizing, but I have an issue with the people who befriend the staff on cruise ships. My in-laws are so bad about this. Asking lots of personal questions that I see as intrusive and they see as friendly. Because there's a power dynamic there, that the cruise line employee isn't really free to say "that's none of your business" or "reminding me of my kids is painful," because his/her pay depends on positive reviews. It seems exploitative to me. I wish cruisers would just be polite and appreciative of good service, and let people keep their own privacy and dignity if they choose not to voluntarily share. And I also don't want to encourage what I've seen people complain about here and re: other lines, where an employee overshares some really negative or inappropriate information (someone reported a server talking about seeing murders back home). I know lots of people who cruise think it's "stuck up" not to get so personal with the staff, so I know there are definitely two schools of thought.

I agree with you. I'm always friendly, polite and appreciative toward the servers. It's a job I could never do. But I don't ask personal questions unless they open the way. On our most recent cruise, our assistant server was very excited to be visiting his family at one of our port stops. We were happy to hear the details!

I'm not embarrassed by the performances in the dining room, but I'm another one who would really rather enjoy a nice dinner. I was taught, and I taught my child, that meal time is a time for conversation and enjoying good food, not for all kinds of other things. I also don't like dinner theaters for the same reason. We always go to Palo on Pirate Night to avoid at least that much noise in the dining room.

Other than the dining experience, even this old lady loves feeling like a kid on a Disney cruise!

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter