Do you THINK out of state residents will be allowed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When do we think Disneyland will make an official reopening announcement? Even if I can’t go, I would be happy to see the process start so that people could start the planning process.

I've seen a lot of speculation they're waiting until OC hits the orange tier so they can just open at 25% capacity. The numbers are trending downward so fast it shouldn't take long to achieve.

My guess is it won’t be before Labor Day that CA will open up theme parks to non residents. How soon after that..... your guess is as good as mine. Living in WA, where we are discouraged from non-essential travel and to self quarantine for 14 days if we do travel; I’m OK with CA discouraging out of state visitors at the moment (and self-quarantining for 10 days). I’m sure it’s more difficult for those in AZ for example who presently have no travel restrictions who are wishing to visit CA. Though I do feel the pain for the businesses around DLR .

You don't think limiting tourists from visiting Disneyland will hurt the local economy? It sure doesn't help is the point I'm making.
No, I don’t. I think a slow, safe & steady reintroduction helps them. Opening the theme parks with no restrictions, will likely cause a spike causing everything to close again.

As has been mentioned, CA is a huge state. We need hotel every single time we go. Will there be locals who go who don’t need hotel- sure, there always have been. But there are enough who will to fill the capacity restrictions. And hopefully locals will think about making it a staycation and helping out the area.

I understand your frustration. Truly. But your argument that out of state guests are needed to rebound the economy just isn’t true.

In the spirit of moving this thread back in a productive direction...:

It's interesting that many bloggers/travel agents seem to have a much more positive outlook on the restriction being lifted sooner rather than later. I think it's just become impossible to predict what will happen! There is a call to push the CDC to revamp their travel advice to include a more realistic approach rather than an 'abstinence' approach as people get vaccinated. We might be seeing some larger changes overall when it comes to attitudes towards travel. Things are changing fast!
I’m not trying to be argumentative, but please understand that the CDC doesn’t control what Newsom decides to do with the parks. So while travel restrictions may be lifted, he is well within his power to keep them on theme parks. And on this one, I really think he will. So I think the most optimistic approach would be to hope OC moves through the tiers quickly. And based on their current predictions that will be summer/fall.

I just don’t want anybody to think that a change in CDC guidance automatically will change the theme park restrictions.

Perhaps the out of state folks that want to discuss the restriction can just be given their own space to do so without being attacked by everyone? It's just fun to speculate on and it helps to commiserate with others... if folks don't want to discuss it then why participate?
I think some of the toxicity you're seeing is partly from the tone of a handful of the out-of-state posters elsewhere on the board. Some of the out-of-state folks are carrying a little bit of a "IT'S NOT FAIR, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO TO DISNEYLAND, TOO" vibe, and it's toxic in and of itself. It has a little bit of a "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO WEAR A MASK" vibe.

The truth of a lot of this is somewhere in between. Yes, losing out-of-staters hurts the local economy. But with DL parked at 25% or 35%, the hotels are going to be about that, anyway - whether they let out-of-staters in during this period won't make a dramatic difference on that number.

I think the restriction is partly things like contract tracing - but I think it's also the state controlling what they're able to. They really don't want someone coming from a more-infected part of the country and spreading it, especially since so many of the potential arrivals would be flying into densely-populated areas.

I doubt the state is particularly thrilled with Touch of Disney allowing out-of-state guests - normally, people wouldn't fly to California to go to an outdoor mall. (Honestly, under the circumstances, I'm a little bit disappointed that out-of-state folks thought that was a good idea.)

Opening a theme park is not a high-priority when you're dealing with a public health crisis. But this is the negotiation - open up somewhat, but keep a lid on who can attend. It makes absolute sense from a public health standpoint - if that's what your focus is. And, in the case of the state, that's their focus.

CA can't control what AZ or NV does. And there are places elsewhere that have been (and still are) significantly more lax than CA has been. It's way safer to deter people from coming to California until things are substantially close to normal.

I think some of the toxicity you're seeing is partly from the tone of a handful of the out-of-state posters elsewhere on the board. Some of the out-of-state folks are carrying a little bit of a "IT'S NOT FAIR, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO TO DISNEYLAND, TOO" vibe, and it's toxic in and of itself. It has a little bit of a "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO WEAR A MASK" vibe.

Ah well, I'm definitely not a mask denier or carry that vibe. So I just ask everyone to stop using me as their punching bag for their out of state poster angst. 😅

The truth of a lot of this is somewhere in between. Yes, losing out-of-staters hurts the local economy. But with DL parked at 25% or 35%, the hotels are going to be about that, anyway - whether they let out-of-staters in during this period won't make a dramatic difference on that number.

I think the restriction is partly things like contract tracing - but I think it's also the state controlling what they're able to. They really don't want someone coming from a more-infected part of the country and spreading it, especially since so many of the potential arrivals would be flying into densely-populated areas.

I doubt the state is particularly thrilled with Touch of Disney allowing out-of-state guests - normally, people wouldn't fly to California to go to an outdoor mall. (Honestly, under the circumstances, I'm a little bit disappointed that out-of-state folks thought that was a good idea.)

Opening a theme park is not a high-priority when you're dealing with a public health crisis. But this is the negotiation - open up somewhat, but keep a lid on who can attend. It makes absolute sense from a public health standpoint - if that's what your focus is. And, in the case of the state, that's their focus.

CA can't control what AZ or NV does. And there are places elsewhere that have been (and still are) significantly more lax than CA has been. It's way safer to deter people from coming to California until things are substantially close to normal.

Thank you. I'm glad to see more people understand.

I have not appreciated being called something I'm not and then being gaslighted when I've asked them to stop.

It's interesting that many bloggers/travel agents seem to have a much more positive outlook on the restriction being lifted sooner rather than later.
It's in their interest for things to be lifted sooner, and for their audience to believe that they'll be lifted sooner.

Rarely do the bloggers pay any price for getting things wrong - the audience forgets. One of the bigger Disney bloggers made a huge pronouncement when the reopening news was announced: DL would open on April 1st and Disney would probably cancel Touch of Disney. (I thought they were wrong from the moment it was posted.) That article has since been drastically rewritten, without any correction notes.

The truth is - really, none of us knows what the next couple of months will look like. I think we'll have a much better picture even two or three weeks from now - especially once we hear what Disney is planning for reopening. (For example, if/how they're going to check for residency.)

And I hope I dont come across as whining! I do think we in AZ are not at all getting a message that CA is discouraging travel, quite the opposite. And it sounds like residents are frustrated, but to a casual traveler (which I am not) it feels like the welcome mat is out. So in that regards I just wish the message was clear and consistent. But I also understand that the goals of the State aren’t the same as “Visit San Diego.” At the end of the day, I’d love to enter a park Memorial weekend. But if not, it’s fine. We’ll have a great resort only/beach stay. There’s a lot greater tragedies in life!

Ah well, I'm definitely not a mask denier or carry that vibe. So I just ask everyone to stop using me as their punching bag for their out of state poster angst. 😅
I’m going to be honest that I haven’t seen anybody use you as a punching bag. It’s unfortunate that’s how it felt to you though. I think all of us are just trying to explain the realities of living in CA during this and trying to explain that the decisions made for this state are unlikely to be influenced by outside forces, even the CDC.

But trust me, if anybody understands how unfair and arbitrary the rules here are, it’s us! We’ve been living it for the last year.

And I hope I dont come across as whining! I do think we in AZ are not at all getting a message that CA is discouraging travel, quite the opposite. And it sounds like residents are frustrated, but to a casual traveler (which I am not) it feels like the welcome mat is out. So in that regards I just wish the message was clear and consistent. But I also understand that the goals of the State aren’t the same as “Visit San Diego.” At the end of the day, I’d love to enter a park Memorial weekend. But if not, it’s fine. We’ll have a great resort only/beach stay. There’s a lot greater tragedies in life!

Honestly you're fine! I really do feel for those affected by this and I wish it was more obvious that the state doesn't want visitors. While I do agree with others it's ultimately the responsibility of the traveler to know what restrictions exist (I have to look them up for every county in California I visit), it would be a lot less frustrating for all if the state and the high tourist areas were on the same page. The most I've seen is little warnings at the ends of ads that say to "travel responsibly". There's a huge difference between being sad and frustrated at the conflicting information versus saying untrue things and then trying to play a victim when asked to not say those things.

As things improve in California, hopefully things will look up for allowing out of state visitors.

I've noticed the same thing with people being more on edge lately. It used to be a lot of fun to chat and commiserate (as TikiTikiFan said) on these threads, but it seems like a few are taking the smallest of things and getting very upset. I even made an obvious joke a couple days ago and a couple people became offended and it I guess was reported? If someone doesn't like a post, there is no need to engage.

I remember some of the same people went over the top upset about the APs getting cancelled. There was an outlet for those people to be upset and no one disparaged them for complaining. I'm not sure why this isn't being treated the same way.
For me, commiserating about the closure and rules for reopening are fine and welcome. I think it's understandable and we all get it. When it starts bordering on what feels personal about decisions when many of us are just trying to explain the realities of living in this state, it becomes a little iffy.

I'm not talking about just this thread, but there are a few that ask about the out of state guidelines and people who live in CA try to explain the rules, the history, our leadership (as best we can without getting points or threads locked) and there are a lot of responses that come back with "that's not legal", "that's not fair", "so & so said that wouldn't actually happen", etc. Obviously everybody is allowed to ask the question and have an opinion, but it does feel dismissive when we're explaining what the realities have been in the state thus far and it's immediately argued against.

So I guess I'll leave at this and hope I don't get points for it. For whatever reason, theme parks is where Newsom has decided to dig his feet in. None of us understand why and haven't for months. We understand the rules are arbitrary and unfair. But it is the reality. Heck, my county gets indoor dining back at 25% for the first time in a year. So does it make sense DTD can open restaurants indoors at 25% but theme parks can't in Red? No. But this is the hill Newsom has decided he's laying down on.

Last edited:
I remember some of the same people went over the top upset about the APs getting cancelled. There was an outlet for those people to be upset and no one disparaged them for complaining. I'm not sure why this isn't being treated the same way.

And if we go back in time on the Disneyland Speculation Thread when the theme park guidelines were first released in October which restricted guests to 120 miles away- I seem to remember lots of CA residents being upset and they were given (along with the rest of us lol!) space to commiserate.

Perhaps the out of state folks that want to discuss the restriction can just be given their own space to do so without being attacked by everyone? It's just fun to speculate on and it helps to commiserate with others... if folks don't want to discuss it then why participate?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/out-of-state-travelers-planning-thread-disneyland-updates.3829395/
If anyone wants that space to do so, I just started a different thread for it. 🤷‍♀️ We can treat it as a trip planning thread of sorts too... even if we can't really plan much yet lol!

When do we think Disneyland might open to those outside of CA? My GUESS - Labor Day Weekend.
When do we think Disneyland will make an official reopening announcement? Even if I can’t go, I would be happy to see the process start so that people could start the planning process.
My GUESS - Memorial Day weekend.
I don't think that you are being used that way. You have said several times that limiting DIsneyland to CA only would hurt the local economy. I simply posted facts to explain why that isn't true. If DIsneyland opens with only 15K or 25K limits, to a population of 39 million people, I think what will hurt is the limitation on the number of people. That said, how many trips have you made to DTD since they reopened? This was an excellent way to support the Disney economy. I know we have made numerous trips, simply to enjoy what is available. DTD has felt extremely safe, much safer than my local grocery store. The state can't stop visitation to DTD, as that is a shopping venue and they can't limit out of states visitors from shopping. They did stop out of state visitation in December. If you had a hotel reservation in Dec and your credit card zip code was out of state, they were required to cancel your reservation. There was a LOT of complaints over that!
It's in their interest for things to be lifted sooner, and for their audience to believe that they'll be lifted sooner.

Rarely do the bloggers pay any price for getting things wrong - the audience forgets. One of the bigger Disney bloggers made a huge pronouncement when the reopening news was announced: DL would open on April 1st and Disney would probably cancel Touch of Disney. (I thought they were wrong from the moment it was posted.) That article has since been drastically rewritten, without any correction notes.

The truth is - really, none of us knows what the next couple of months will look like. I think we'll have a much better picture even two or three weeks from now - especially once we hear what Disney is planning for reopening. (For example, if/how they're going to check for residency.)
Yes, it is in the Blogger's interest to reopen sooner. But I rarely watch any as they are so wrong. And what about the blogger who went to WDW ill when WDW first reopened? That was a great advertisement for travel. And will Disney check for residency, absolutely. Remember how strict they were with even "to go" food in December. Your bag was closed and taped shut to be taken off property to eat. You didn't get this at Burger King or Cold Stone. You were able to start eating while still in the Cold Stone parking lot! But Disney made the rule you had to take it off their main property (you could eat in your car.)
DTD will be open if you want to stroll and shop.
I’m going to be honest that I haven’t seen anybody use you as a punching bag. It’s unfortunate that’s how it felt to you though. I think all of us are just trying to explain the realities of living in CA during this and trying to explain that the decisions made for this state are unlikely to be influenced by outside forces, even the CDC.

But trust me, if anybody understands how unfair and arbitrary the rules here are, it’s us! We’ve been living it for the last year.
NO KIDDING. And it varies so much county by county. San Francisco area, not only abides by the state mandates, but has tighter guidelines. Then you have my county, which says "We won't enforce the state mandates", so we have everyone ignoring rules. It is frustrating. I'm just happy Newsom relented from Yellow tier. I do think Disney will wait til Orange, so they can get 25K.

For me, commiserating about the closure and rules for reopening are fine and welcome. I think it's understandable and we all get it. When it starts bordering on what feels personal about decisions when many of us are just trying to explain the realities of living in this state, it becomes a little iffy.

I'm not talking about just this thread, but there are a few that ask about the out of state guidelines and people who live in CA try to explain the rules, the history, our leadership (as best we can without getting points or threads locked) and there are a lot of responses that come back with "that's not legal", "that's not fair", "so & so said that wouldn't actually happen", etc. Obviously everybody is allowed to ask the question and have an opinion, but it does feel dismissive when we're explaining what the realities have been in the state thus far and it's immediately argued against.

So I guess I'll leave at this and hope I don't get points for it. For whatever reason, theme parks is where Newsom has decided to dig his feet in. None of us understand why and haven't for months. We understand the rules are arbitrary and unfair. But it is the reality. Heck, my county gets indoor dining back at 25% for the first time in a year. So does it make sense DTD can open restaurants indoors at 25% but theme parks can't in Red? No. But this is the hill Newsom has decided he's laying down on.

I totally get that! It has to be frustrating in Californians right now. I guess I missed where people were being dismissive - not saying it didn't happen, I just haven't seen all the posts yet. Thank you for responding kindly, I do appreciate that.

I think I was just taken aback when something insignificant (such as talking about the economy in terms of locals and tourists) was deemed insulting and then some start talking down to others and telling them to use their words wisely. Everyone contributes to the economy, especially Californians since they live there. But tourists are also the bread and butter of the Orange County economy. Hopefully things will get back to normal quickly and this can all be a distant memory!

When do we think Disneyland might open to those outside of CA? My GUESS - Labor Day Weekend.
My GUESS - Memorial Day weekend.
I don't think that you are being used that way. You have said several times that limiting DIsneyland to CA only would hurt the local economy. I simply posted facts to explain why that isn't true. If DIsneyland opens with only 15K or 25K limits, to a population of 39 million people, I think what will hurt is the limitation on the number of people. That said, how many trips have you made to DTD since they reopened? This was an excellent way to support the Disney economy. I know we have made numerous trips, simply to enjoy what is available. DTD has felt extremely safe, much safer than my local grocery store. The state can't stop visitation to DTD, as that is a shopping venue and they can't limit out of states visitors from shopping. They did stop out of state visitation in December. If you had a hotel reservation in Dec and your credit card zip code was out of state, they were required to cancel your reservation. There was a LOT of complaints over that!
Yes, it is in the Blogger's interest to reopen sooner. But I rarely watch any as they are so wrong. And what about the blogger who went to WDW ill when WDW first reopened? That was a great advertisement for travel. And will Disney check for residency, absolutely. Remember how strict they were with even "to go" food in December. Your bag was closed and taped shut to be taken off property to eat. You didn't get this at Burger King or Cold Stone. You were able to start eating while still in the Cold Stone parking lot! But Disney made the rule you had to take it off their main property (you could eat in your car.)
DTD will be open if you want to stroll and shop.
NO KIDDING. And it varies so much county by county. San Francisco area, not only abides by the state mandates, but has tighter guidelines. Then you have my county, which says "We won't enforce the state mandates", so we have everyone ignoring rules. It is frustrating. I'm just happy Newsom relented from Yellow tier. I do think Disney will wait til Orange, so they can get 25K.

I appreciate you gave the actual numbers to give more validity to what many of us are saying that the issue will be capacity limits for the local economy. Not in state/out of state. Not sure why it's so hard to understand we're all tourists to economies we aren't local to.

I appreciate you gave the actual numbers to give more validity to what many of us are saying that the issue will be capacity limits for the local economy. Not in state/out of state. Not sure why it's so hard to understand we're all tourists to economies we aren't local to.
I do think a lot of people don't realize how big CA is. I had relatives come out from the east coast and met us at Disneyland. They then asked if we might "drive over to San Francisco the next day for a couple hours." We explained that was a 6-8 hour drive one way. They didn't realize it was that far. I am a tourist to Disney's economy. Half to 2/3 of California's population of 39 million are tourists to the LA area.

Disney is likely to open in the Orange tier. They are close. And I think they will do it Memorial day weekend. Opening with a 25K capacity will help more than 15K. But it could be sooner!

When Newsom first said 120 miles radius for travel to a theme park, I did think that would be a problem to the economy. But that was Disney's fight, and Disney did feel they couldn't do it was that limited of a distance, thus Iger stepping down from Newsom's board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter