• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you THINK out of state residents will be allowed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re right. It is what it is and its out of any of our hands. It feels frustrating that theme parks won’t fully open though until a travel advisory is lifted that even CA residents are ignoring it. But oh well.

So to be back on topic, I think out of state residents might be allowed June 1, which stinks because thats the day we leave, but then we’d add a night somewhere so we could go to the park that day. I have considered I could rent my VGC reservation for a pretty penny if hotel guests are given priority but we still can’t get in.
Obviously none of us can predict the future, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for June 1st. I think we're looking at Labor Day at the earliest, mostly likely into the Fall based on what state officials are saying about Green tier. I think they will stick to the red/orange/yellow tier guidelines already set forth since there doesn't appear to be any push back from theme parks themselves. And that there currently aren't any metrics set for moving from yellow to green. Unfortunately for out of state people, theme parks won't have any problem meeting capacity restrictions from within the state at all.

Oof, reading the negative outlooks here is exactly why I'm not saving a date for a Disneyland trip and going full steam ahead on WDW. This is all just too depressing and reminds me too much of the rollercoaster of last summer.

I agree with the sentiment that's been voiced that theme parks are (have been) being singled out compared to other businesses and I don't see that ending anytime soon either. What's the saddest part about this isn't us out of state Disneyland loving folks but the economical damage to Anaheim. Tourists help support all those local hotels and I'm sure they don't feel too fondly about that out of state restriction.

I guarantee when we see that travel advisory removed, it even references it in the tier breakdowns, we'll see the out of state restriction lifted too. When will that be? That's the real question...

On a side note.... Honestly, the masks in Florida humidity weren't as bad as I thought. For any other non-CA residents looking for their Disney fix, it's doable! Great time to add water park access to your ticket- that's our backup plan to avoid the heat. 🌴

I'm also guessing Annual Passes won't make a comeback for a good while either. They won't have a problem meeting capacity and I'm sure would rather have the greater revenue with full-fare tickets than the APs.

Tourists help support all those local hotels and I'm sure they don't feel too fondly about that out of state restriction.

In state residents support the local hotels too. Not just out of state. Don't forget that California is huge and that not every resident is a local. A capacity restriction is also still going to limit those coming in anyways and as has already been stated: there's more than enough California residents to fill that capacity.

I rarely see an out of state plate at my usual hotel in Anaheim. A few rented cars, yes, but most I see are owned cars. And that lot is often filled beyond capacity to the point they have a no extra charge valet service so they can pile in more cars.

But no one is stopping my friends who are beaching the day away in Carlsbad right now. I’m not against a travel restriction, but to have an advisory without repercussions is just talk. My kids are sporty and we have CA teams coming weekly to compete with them
In swim, dance and baseball. It doesn’t seem those families are being held to a quarantine either. I’m assuming though- just with how many people are coming here (20+ CA dance studios at our last competition in Feb)

Your friends sure did choose the worst week to come to the beach. It's been rainy and freezing for the last 3 days. There is snow in the foothills near my home, a mere 15 miles from the coast.

In state residents support the local hotels too. Not just out of state. Don't forget that California is huge and that not every resident is a local. A capacity restriction is also still going to limit those coming in anyways and as has already been stated: there's more than enough California residents to fill that capacity.

I rarely see an out of state plate at my usual hotel in Anaheim. A few rented cars, yes, but most I see are owned cars. And that lot is often filled beyond capacity to the point they have a no extra charge valet service so they can pile in more cars.

You don't think limiting tourists from visiting Disneyland will hurt the local economy? It sure doesn't help is the point I'm making.

Also to clarify, I'm not a fan of many of these state restrictions and haven't been since this summer- not just this one. Disney has proven they can operate safely without a watchdog- look at how they've continued to be strict in their health policies even though Florida was like 'yolo.' 😬

I think it's going to take the local businesses a long time to recover from this even when tourists are welcome again.

You don't think limiting tourists from visiting Disneyland will hurt the local economy? It sure doesn't help is the point I'm making.

I think it's insulting to keep treating all Californians like we're locals and like we don't contribute to the tourism of Anaheim significantly.

Further, I again point out that capacity will restrict who can even come to the area even without an in state restriction. Only 15% capacity? Only 25%? Even only 35%. This will limit the number of people traveling to the area. I'm saying they are already going to be harmed by the limited capacity permitted. In state, out of state. Doesn't matter. The numbers aren't going to be there for them anyways until all capacity restrictions are lifted.

The restriction will be lifted sooner than later I hope so people stop complaining about it and taking it as a personal attack from the state. I am sorry for those affected by it, but I am not surprised by it. I am surprised it wasn't even more strict.

I think it's insulting to keep treating all Californians like we're locals and like we don't contribute to the tourism of Anaheim significantly.

Further, I again point out that capacity will restrict who can even come to the area even without an in state restriction. Only 15% capacity? Only 25%? Even only 35%. This will limit the number of people traveling to the area. I'm saying they are already going to be harmed by the limited capacity permitted. In state, out of state. Doesn't matter. The numbers aren't going to be there for them anyways until all capacity restrictions are lifted.

The restriction will be lifted sooner than later I hope so people stop complaining about it and taking it as a personal attack from the state. I am sorry for those affected by it, but I am not surprised by it. I am surprised it wasn't even more strict.

No need to get so offended. I stated that I find all the restrictions harmful- including the strict capacity restrictions. Nor did I ever say that CA residents didn't contribute to their local economies. But you also cannot deny that tourists contribute just as much.

Perhaps rather than seeing all the out of state folks as 'complaining'- practice a little empathy on how devastated many of us feel by this. I can have just as much of a personal connection to Disneyland as someone that lives in CA. If the complaining bothers you, there's no need to participate in this particular thread regarding the out of state restriction. There's many of us on DIS that don't live in CA that are obviously going to want to commiserate on how frustrated and sad we feel.

So let's move on, perhaps?

No need to get so offended. I stated that I find all the restrictions harmful- including the strict capacity restrictions. Nor did I ever say that CA residents didn't contribute to their local economies. But you also cannot deny that tourists contribute just as much.

Perhaps rather than seeing all the out of state folks as 'complaining'- practice a little empathy on how devastated many of us feel by this. I can have just as much of a personal connection to Disneyland as someone that lives in CA.

So let's move on, perhaps?

But Anaheim is not my local economy. Disneyland is not local to me. Please stop saying it is.

I didn't say you didn't have a connection either. I didn't say I had more of a connection. I've only asked you to please stop treating me and all Californians like we're all local. We've all been hurt. We've all had trip after trip after trip cancelled again and again and again.

Please and thank you.

But Anaheim is not my local economy. Disneyland is not local to me. Please stop saying it is.

I didn't say you didn't have a connection either. I didn't say I had more of a connection. I've only asked you to please stop treating me and all Californians like we're all local. We've all been hurt. We've all had trip after trip after trip cancelled again and again and again.

Please and thank you.

Again, no need to continue to attack me for simply stating that tourists contribute to the CA economy. I never said CA folks didn't- you were the one that made that assumption and started this.

So again, moving on.

<snipped for space>
Agreed. California by itself is a huge state. We represent 12% of the entire US population-wise. From our northern border to DIsneyland is a 10 hour drive. We are a 6 hour drive away. While many view us as "locals" we really are "tourists". With 39 million Californians, there are plenty of us to fill the park to 25-35%. And we can make a significant dent in the hotels. And I even know people who live in the "LA area" who stay in hotels because while they are close, driving 1-2 hours each way to visit 2 days in a row doesn't make sense.

In the spirit of moving this thread back in a productive direction...:

It's interesting that many bloggers/travel agents seem to have a much more positive outlook on the restriction being lifted sooner rather than later. I think it's just become impossible to predict what will happen! There is a call to push the CDC to revamp their travel advice to include a more realistic approach rather than an 'abstinence' approach as people get vaccinated. We might be seeing some larger changes overall when it comes to attitudes towards travel. Things are changing fast!

Again, no need to continue to attack me for simply stating that tourists contribute to the CA economy. I never said CA folks didn't- you were the one that made that assumption and started this.

So again, moving on.

I'm not attacking you. You literally said "Nor did I ever say that CA residents didn't contribute to their local economies".

I'm asking you to not call me or anyone else a local in the context of Anaheim's economy as that was the economy you specifically mentioned and we are discussing. That is the request I have made. Please be more careful with your words in the future.

Now I'm done. Get the last word in if that's your choice :)

But to that point, Sacramento is 40 miles further from DL than Phoenix is- which again is the hypocrisy of the limit.

And yes, my friends are in sweatshirts and pants at the beach but they look like they’re having a great time. Our spring break was this week but most AZ schools are off next week, so I’d expect there to be more people going next week. I have another friend with an AirBnB booked for the first two weeks in June on Mission Beach.

https://news.yahoo.com/stop-telling-people-not-travel-120000765.html
This is the context of what I've seen floating around in the news lately. I have a feeling we're going to see some large changes regarding travel as vaccines ramp up.

For one, I can't believe how much flights have skyrocketed this summer. I regret not buying ours earlier for WDW!

Trying to stay optimistic... I miss Disneyland so much... WDW is not "home" in that same way.

I think the CA resident requirement for theme parks and sporting events MIGHT be a contact tracing thing. They want to be able to track any "outbreaks" related to these openings. If they allow in people from other states to the theme parks, and those people go home with covid, we will never know about it. I think this is actually the rationale behind the current travel advisory as a whole.

Perhaps the out of state folks that want to discuss the restriction can just be given their own space to do so without being attacked by everyone? It's just fun to speculate on and it helps to commiserate with others... if folks don't want to discuss it then why participate?

I think the CA resident requirement for theme parks and sporting events MIGHT be a contact tracing thing. They want to be able to track any "outbreaks" related to these openings. If they allow in people from other states to the theme parks, and those people go home with covid, we will never know about it. I think this is actually the rationale behind the current travel advisory as a whole.

I'm sure that's a big part of it. I know it's popular to say "WDW hasn't spread covid" but there's no way that's totally true.. it just can't be traced if people travel home and the cases are counted back in their home state, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter