Do you THINK out of state residents will be allowed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
To go to DL by August 1st?I live in Nevada. I realize NO one knows the answer to this, I just want opinions. I have reservations the first week of August. I cancelled last summer's trip (as thousands of others did) . During the time I was supposed to be there, I pretended I really was and that all was normal. No covid,etc.. Anyway, I can't do another pretend trip this year. 😂 I need the real thing. DH suggested we go to WDW. We went for the first time in 2017, and with how great it was, I just don't want a diminished experience. I don't mind at DL since I've been there so many times. Speaking of WDW, had there been no pandemic, we would have gone back this year. I know nobody cares, I'm just bored, lol.

I think they'll allow out of state visitors. They didn't have any restrictions on being out of state for Touch of Disney. The only difference between that and Disneyland opening is rides. Looking at the guidelines from the governor, it looks like just a suggestion instead of a flat out rule

I think they'll allow out of state visitors. They didn't have any restrictions on being out of state for Touch of Disney. The only difference between that and Disneyland opening is rides. Looking at the guidelines from the governor, it looks like just a suggestion instead of a flat out rule

I don't think it's a suggestion. It clearly states "In-state visitors only" in all 3 tiers. I do hope this gets changed, though. It seems arbitrary to allow all to attend TOD but restrict the parks when rides are operational.

Chart.png

I don't think it's a suggestion. It clearly states "In-state visitors only" in all 3 tiers. I do hope this gets changed, though. It seems arbitrary to allow all to attend TOD but restrict the parks when rides are operational.

View attachment 562187
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Travel-Advisory.aspx :
Non-Essential Travel
1. Except in connection with essential travel, Californians should avoid non-essential travel to any part of California more than 120 miles from one's place of residence, or to other states or countries. Avoiding travel reduces the risk of virus transmission, including by reducing the risk that new sources of infection and, potentially, new virus strains will be introduced to California.
2. Non-essential travelers from other states or countries are strongly discouraged from entering California, and should adhere to the quarantine procedures set forth in Paragraph 3.
[Bolding mine.]

So, the metrics say "In-state visitors only, check for current CDPH Travel Advisory in effect." ... And the CDPH Travel Advisory says "Non-essential travelers from other states or countries are strongly discouraged from entering California, and should adhere to the quarantine procedures set forth." It seems like a very gray area. I understand and appreciate the spirit of the travel advisory, but I feel like it's fairly "wish-washy." They aren't "banned" nor is there a mandatory quarantine like Hawai'i had in effect for many months (where they were very open about fines and possible jail time, calling people to make sure they are quarantining and a "tip line" to report people that weren't following the expectations). Like I said, I totally appreciate the spirit of the rule from CDPH, I feel like it's just difficult to enforce, especially when, for example, TOD is happening, and we all know plenty of out-of-state'ers are flying in to take part.

I'm curious to see how Disney will handle this questionable "never never land". Despite the travel advisory, they haven't policed people attending Downtown Disney, or when they expanded into the BVS area, or when they sold TOD tickets. It reminds me of the movie "Legally Blonde" when Elle is arguing "Why this time? Why *this* _______ [adult word]?" That's how I'm feeling: "Why this time, why *this* ticket?"

I hope they welcome out-of-state'ers soon, and I know plenty of people that will be rushing there as soon as they do open!

What is the quarantine time line?
3. All persons arriving in or returning to California from other states or countries, should self-quarantine for 10 days [ii] after arrival, except as necessary to meet urgent critical healthcare staffing needs or to otherwise engage in emergency response. Additionally, this recommendation does not apply to individuals who routinely cross state or country borders for essential travel [iii].
A Local Health Officer may determine if and when the situation within the Local Health Offficer's jurisdiction warrants measures that are more restrictive than this statewide order, and retains authority to implement such measures.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Travel-Advisory.aspx

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Travel-Advisory.aspx :
Non-Essential Travel
1. Except in connection with essential travel, Californians should avoid non-essential travel to any part of California more than 120 miles from one's place of residence, or to other states or countries. Avoiding travel reduces the risk of virus transmission, including by reducing the risk that new sources of infection and, potentially, new virus strains will be introduced to California.
2. Non-essential travelers from other states or countries are strongly discouraged from entering California, and should adhere to the quarantine procedures set forth in Paragraph 3.
[Bolding mine.]

So, the metrics say "In-state visitors only, check for current CDPH Travel Advisory in effect." ... And the CDPH Travel Advisory says "Non-essential travelers from other states or countries are strongly discouraged from entering California, and should adhere to the quarantine procedures set forth." It seems like a very gray area. I understand and appreciate the spirit of the travel advisory, but I feel like it's fairly "wish-washy." They aren't "banned" nor is there a mandatory quarantine like Hawai'i had in effect for many months (where they were very open about fines and possible jail time, calling people to make sure they are quarantining and a "tip line" to report people that weren't following the expectations). Like I said, I totally appreciate the spirit of the rule from CDPH, I feel like it's just difficult to enforce, especially when, for example, TOD is happening, and we all know plenty of out-of-state'ers are flying in to take part.

I'm curious to see how Disney will handle this questionable "never never land". Despite the travel advisory, they haven't policed people attending Downtown Disney, or when they expanded into the BVS area, or when they sold TOD tickets. It reminds me of the movie "Legally Blonde" when Elle is arguing "Why this time? Why *this* _______ [adult word]?" That's how I'm feeling: "Why this time, why *this* ticket?"

I hope they welcome out-of-state'ers soon, and I know plenty of people that will be rushing there as soon as they do open!

Touch of Disney is opening under completely different requirements than the park. They are two separate things. They didn’t make it a requirement before because, while people come in from out of state to visit DTD, it wasn’t a lot of people. It’s impossible to create an enforceable travel ban and quarantine because there are thousands of ways to enter California from out of state. There’s really only one way to enter each island of Hawaii from out of state right now.

The state of California knows that opening amusement parks will bring in thousands of people from out of state. Remember, DLR will likely only be opening at 15-25% capacity when it first opens. Disney and other theme parks are not vocally fighting the opening guidelines. The in-state requirement will stick if the theme parks don’t fight it. Before, when the first set of guidelines were announced, theme parks went on a publicity blitz attacking the guidance. This time, they seem happy to open under them. They will have no problem filling the park at the limited capacity with just people from California.

Remember, what may seem arbitrary and confusing to people from out-of-state are things the citizens of California have had to live for the last year. The vast majority of the guidance has been upheld in court. So while it may not make sense, it is what it is and it is unlikely theme parks will fight it.

Touch of Disney and Downtown Disney are different from this.

Disney was just exploiting a loophole for Touch of Disney (and BVS). DCA isn't functioning as an "amusement park" during Touch of Disney - it's acting as an outdoor mall. If it were acting as an amusement park, they wouldn't have been able to do it. And Downtown Disney is just an outdoor mall. For outdoor malls, the guideline is "out-of-state discouraged", not "in-state only" - Disney doesn't have to police it.

The guidelines here are different enough that I think the state will take it seriously. They put the same restriction on outdoor sporting events (ie, major league baseball), something that people would likely travel for, as well.

Last edited:
Touch of Disney is opening under completely different requirements than the park. They are two separate things. They didn’t make it a requirement before because, while people come in from out of state to visit DTD, it wasn’t a lot of people. It’s impossible to create an enforceable travel ban and quarantine because there are thousands of ways to enter California from out of state. There’s really only one way to enter each island of Hawaii from out of state right now.

The state of California knows that opening amusement parks will bring in thousands of people from out of state. Remember, DLR will likely only be opening at 15-25% capacity when it first opens. Disney and other theme parks are not vocally fighting the opening guidelines. The in-state requirement will stick if the theme parks don’t fight it. Before, when the first set of guidelines were announced, theme parks went on a publicity blitz attacking the guidance. This time, they seem happy to open under them. They will have no problem filling the park at the limited capacity with just people from California.

Remember, what may seem arbitrary and confusing to people from out-of-state are things the citizens of California have had to live for the last year. The vast majority of the guidance has been upheld in court. So while it may not make sense, it is what it is and it is unlikely theme parks will fight it.
Thank you for this post. You are 100% right about all of this.

I see and understand the frustration from out of state residents on here, but none of this comes as a surprise for those of us living in CA who’ve been having similar announcements and restrictions for a year.

OP, based on the last year of living in CA, I have zero idea of when out of state residents will be allowed at DLR. I don’t think anyone can accurately guess. However, I wouldn’t want to wear a mask in Orlando in the summer, and I’m someone who actually enjoys WDW summer trips normally.

I almost wish that they’d make it statewide law like Hawaii did. It’d be easier to enforce if that’s the idea. I’m in AZ and I have friends in CA at the beaches as we speak. I can guarantee they don’t even know there’s a travel advisory. It feels so wishy washy to have an unadvertised advisory for most CA travel but then throw the hammer down on theme parks. If he wants to limit travel, jut limit it. Both in and out like NY has done.

I almost wish that they’d make it statewide law like Hawaii did. It’d be easier to enforce if that’s the idea. I’m in AZ and I have friends in CA at the beaches as we speak. I can guarantee they don’t even know there’s a travel advisory. It feels so wishy washy to have an unadvertised advisory for most CA travel but then throw the hammer down on theme parks. If he wants to limit travel, jut limit it. Both in and out like NY has done.

It's not an unadvertised advisory - it's been in the news off and on for the duration of the pandemic. :)

It's not an unadvertised advisory - it's been in the news off and on for the duration of the pandemic. :)
In CA. I’m in AZ. I disccussed in another thread we are being bombarded with advertising from Visit San Diego and Sea World inviting us to come visit and work and school remotely and then play when we are done. I’m seeing 2-3 commercials a day and sponsored Facebook ads every time I’m on. Nowhere in these ads does it even suggest that there’s a 10 day quarantine advisory.

In CA. I’m in AZ. I disccussed in another thread we are being bombarded with advertising from Visit San Diego and Sea World inviting us to come visit and work and school remotely and then play when we are done. I’m seeing 2-3 commercials a day and sponsored Facebook ads every time I’m on. Nowhere in these ads does it even suggest that there’s a 10 day quarantine advisory.

There is no incentive for them to do so. The tourism authorities of different cities want you to come, the state does not. I see advertisements for travel to Hawaii all the time. None of those advertisements talk about the requirements to get there. But if I go on the Hawaii tourism website, it’s there. Same with California’s websites.

People really should be doing their due diligence to learn the requirements of wherever it is you are traveling to. It’s ultimately the traveler’s responsibility.

But no one is stopping my friends who are beaching the day away in Carlsbad right now. I’m not against a travel restriction, but to have an advisory without repercussions is just talk. My kids are sporty and we have CA teams coming weekly to compete with them
In swim, dance and baseball. It doesn’t seem those families are being held to a quarantine either. I’m assuming though- just with how many people are coming here (20+ CA dance studios at our last competition in Feb)

But no one is stopping my friends who are beaching the day away in Carlsbad right now. I’m not against a travel restriction, but to have an advisory without repercussions is just talk. My kids are sporty and we have CA teams coming weekly to compete with them
In swim, dance and baseball. It doesn’t seem those families are being held to a quarantine either. I’m assuming though- just with how many people are coming here (20+ CA dance studios at our last competition in Feb)

Even the mandatory quarantine in LA was nearly impossible to enforce. There is just no way to keep track of thousands of people entering into the state from hundreds of different entry points. Even if hotels were required to ask why a person was traveling, the person only needed to say they were here for essential work to bypass the quarantine. Theme parks are a different story. No one going to DLR is engaging in essential travel and they CAN control who is coming into their parks by asking for IDs. So the state is trying to control a huge influx of visitors where they can.

Its worth repeating: What may seem arbitrary and confusing to people from out-of-state are things the citizens of California have had to live for the last year. The vast majority of the guidance has been upheld in court. So while it may not make sense, it is what it is and it is unlikely theme parks will fight it.

You’re right. It is what it is and its out of any of our hands. It feels frustrating that theme parks won’t fully open though until a travel advisory is lifted that even CA residents are ignoring it. But oh well.

So to be back on topic, I think out of state residents might be allowed June 1, which stinks because thats the day we leave, but then we’d add a night somewhere so we could go to the park that day. I have considered I could rent my VGC reservation for a pretty penny if hotel guests are given priority but we still can’t get in.

If I were a betting person (I'm not), I would wager that they'll enforce the guidelines as they're currently written. I think the state will want some consistency with the sports and concert venues, and, as already mentioned, CA can supply 35% of attendance on its own.

So I think the good question is: how soon will Orange County exit Yellow Tier (and into what might be Green Tier)?

The rule at my job is: be a little pessimistic with predictions, that way, if you're wrong, it's usually good news.

Reading what some of the state folks are saying, they're planning on there being a possible resurgence in the late summer when kids go back to school (and with the possibility that variants might escape the vaccine), but they're hoping it'll be mild if it happens. Worst case, they exit Yellow then re-enter it at some point, which would suck if the residency stuff comes and goes.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say late September, early October.

In my heart, I want to say before August, but, man, there are just so many things we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter