Do you pool hop?

How often do you pool hop?

• Almost every trip

• Sometimes

• Seldom

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mia - There wasn't ever a vote on the pool slide and lifeguard question at OKW. Instead it was a survey given to a random sample of members. My recollection was that the dues would have gone up a few pennies as a result. And I seem to remember that 60% of those surveyed were against the change.
Thanks for clearing this up for me Jimbo. I hadn't realized this. It's a shame (imho) that it was given a "thumbs down" by the majority. I think it would really add to the resort, and it would be well-worth the extra few $'s.

Originally posted by Jimbo
Mia - There wasn't ever a vote on the pool slide and lifeguard question at OKW. Instead it was a survey given to a random sample of members. My recollection was that the dues would have gone up a few pennies as a result. And I seem to remember that 60% of those surveyed were against the change.

But at the risk of inciting the usual suspects again, I don't think you can say it was voted down because of the tiny increase in dues. I suspect that more people just like things at OKW the way they are, and don't want to see any changes.

But we'll never know for sure.
Some have described OKW as having more of a retirement home, assisted living kind fo feel to it, a slide might not fit in. The larger rooms provide additional space for walkers, wheelchairs, home care nurses, portable johns, and storage for Depends ......:p

Originally posted by jade1
Every trip-mostly because we go a lot in August. Epcot in the AM, walk to BWV pool around 2PM, swim a while then go to MGM. We just wear swim suits and sandals anyway every day. Also we usually leave MK in the afternoon and monorail to Poly's volcano pool or GF pools. Its a great break from the heat. Would really miss this if discontinued. Kind of glad to see a lot of members dont do this so it is less likely to get out of hand and need to be changed.
We haven't done this yet, but it sounds like a great plan and the best way we might be using pool hopping in the future when the kids get a little older. The scenarios you've listed are the major reason I don't want to see pool hopping disscontinued.

We've only pool hopped once. A couple of years ago when the BWV pool was closed for rehab we hopped to SAB (when it was legal!).

We're hoppers. We usually plan a day and place to hop -- something "new" -- each trip. Last time, we stayed at VWL but took a day and "hopped" to BWV. We arrived around 10 am, swam until noon, had lunch on the boardwalk, walked over to BCV to check out the villas there, then walked back, swam again, dried off, had ice cream and headed back to VWL. Very nice trip. We have already planned next time to "hop" to GF (kids are doing pirate cruise, so we're already there!) Plan to do lunch, swim, etc before heading back to BWV. THe kids are already asking if they can "hop" back to VWL! Ah, the endless choices. We would also like to hop to Poly sometime too...

I suppose if you have AP's it might make more sense to just hit the water park. But as "park hoppers", we're also pool hoppers. It's like an extra venue without need for a ticket! And it lets us see the other resorts, restaurants we might like to try, etc.

Cindy

We almost always pool hop. Pools at OKW good for getting wet, but not much else.
Should add that those "quiet pools" (w/o lifeguards) are often not quiet at all. In fact, some of the worst pool behavior I've seen at WDW has been at those pools. Running, diving, food-throwing, softballs and footballs being tossed around, loud Rap music from personal music systems--all the things that probably would not be allowed if there were some control.

The fact that so many of us said "never" makes me think I was right when I think the loss of pool hopping is not so important.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
The fact that so many of us said "never" makes me think I was right when I think the loss of pool hopping is not so important.
I hope we don't loose pool hopping. Whiel we don't pool hop now, our children are little, when they get older, a break from teh parks to take a dip in a local resort pool sound like a great idea.

I do not use the pools so poolhopping don't matter to me, but I would like it to stay for those who use it.
As far as the OKW pool goes, I think there should be a lifeguard at least at the main pool for safety reasons. It can't cost that much. And as for the slide, I don't believe that the members really have an input on that. If DVD wanted a slide there, they would put one in. From what I have seen from their "surveys", these are nothing more than gimmicks to supossedly show support for what they want to do anyway.

my kids love water slides and OKW doesn't have as they call it a "fun" pool. So we hop. We get to kow other resorts, and usually have lunch at the various resports while we enpoy the pool. It our afternoon break and fun to swim near the park thatwe are st at the time.

We have only done it once. We are however thinking of trying the pool at CSR on our next trip. Would hate to lose the option.:smooth:

One of my big surprises on this board is this self-centered attitude among DVC members. Throw a fit if I don't get my way but the heck with the members that use a perk I don't.

:(

It's disheartening.

Even though it's not that important to me, I don't think they should take away pool hopping benefits for DVC members. It was a big selling point they used for a lot of people, and frankly how many members are at any given pool outside DVC resorts at any given time anyhow? Probably not enough to make that much difference.

Because privledges are suspended during busy times, and you are supposed to call ahead to make sure the pools aren't crowded first, it's not a big deal. If it were a situation that we could hop any time to any pool, and be taking up chairs so guests of that resort couldn't enjoy themselves, I'd think differently. but the way it works currently, I think it's a perk they ought to keep.

Anne

Personally I would be fine if pool hopping was discontinued. I don't think that we would ever use it, since we get plenty of pool time at home and for us our time at WDW is better spent doing things we can't do elsewhere. Also, it might help with the problem of pools being overcrowded -- we don't even swim that often at the resort at which we are staying, but have on several occasions had a difficult time in finding a chair or an empty spot in the pool. I feel certain that there were significant numbers of people in the pool who were not staying at the resort. Not just DVC members, but folks from other resorts who just have learned that they can crash other pools. Sorry, but if you want to swim at one of the deluxe resorts then I think you should have to pay for it, and not be able to pay for a moderate and overcrowd the deluxe pool. Just frustrating when you have paid for where you are staying but can't use an amenity because of other people who haven't paid.

My kids have been going to Disney every year since birth. I like to try things that Disney allows just to keep the vacations fresh. They love to swim (ages 8 & 11) and its fun visiting other resorts.

If my kids didn't enjoy it, I probably wouldn't pool hop. Once my kids lose interest, I hope pool hopping continues so other DVC familys can enjoy the great themed pools. I would never want to see DVC perks/activities eliminated just because my family doesn't directly benefit from them.

Originally posted by OneMoreTry
One of my big surprises on this board is this self-centered attitude among DVC members. Throw a fit if I don't get my way but the heck with the members that use a perk I don't.

:(

It's disheartening.
Ouch... and from someone with only 16 posts, that one's a zinger "OneMoreTry" (if that's your real name) ....

Yea, but it was at timely zinger since it was a very self centered statement. I have 116 posts. What does that have to do with anything?

We would still be happy with DVC if it was discontinued but not AS happy. Anyway with the percentages, almost 1/2 hop some. Is that like 30,000 members plus kids?

Not just disheartening as pointed out, but not terribly logical...if so many never do it, why even bother to change it, any way?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter