Do you pool hop?

How often do you pool hop?

• Almost every trip

• Sometimes

• Seldom

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
"Mia--The reason that OKW doesn't have a slide is that the state of Florida requires life guards be present at any pool that has a slide. "

I didn't think WDW had to abide by anybody's laws but their own. They're sorta their own little World.

Sorry--they still need to abide by all state, county, and local laws. They are not a government, they are a corporation.

Anne

I know that Anne, I was just joking because in a lot of ways Disney is allowed to do almost whatever they want . They are actually allowed to construct & operate their own nuke powerplant, (course, if they ever tried to do that I think Uncle Sam would step in). They have their own on property residents that vote the way Disney wants them to. They are a very unique property.

I have never pool hopped, and likely never will.
However, I would like to see the privilege stay! :cool:

It should be noted that during my last VWL stay, the hot tub was full with people who were not staying at VWL or WL. We could not use the hot tub....:(

If you get a chance, take the Keys to the kingdom tour. They talk about the unique deal Walt made with the state of Florida. They have powers no other corporations do. It's very interesting.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
They are actually allowed to construct & operate their own nuke powerplant, (course, if they ever tried to do that I think Uncle Sam would step in).

Can you imagine?!?! Is it real or audio-animatronic? We'll never know until it's too late :(

Anne

I voted 'seldom' because we did go to SAB once - to try it before the option went away. Otherwise, we like that it is an option even if we don't use it.

As to the lifeguards being required for slides, I'd heard that it was the insurance that required the lifeguards. Although - corporations as large as Disney are often self-insured.

It amazes me that people (or person) who I have seen on these boards criticizing people for pool hopping just admitted to doing the same thins. This is after the same person criticizes people for having extra guests, but then does the same. Do as I say, not as I do? Hmmmmm.....

I never pool-hopped. Seems like too much trouble to pack up 3 little ones & trek to another pool.

DEH3rd - Members staying at a DVC resort on points are allowed to pool hop anywhere except SAB and AKL, subject to capacity limitations. There's nothing devious about it.

If you're talking about me, I have never and would never criticize a DVC member for pool hopping within the rules set by WDW, ie no SAB and no AKL. As an FYI, when we hopped to SAB, BCV weren't open yet and it was still allowed.

I've also never had "extra guests" join me at any pool, or in a concierge lounge, and never will.

I'd like you to find posts where I have said I have done either of these things and post the links here.

Anne

I pool-hopped a little in the 1970's -- way before DVC.

Never pool-hopped while at a DVC resort -- even OKW.

This next trip we will probably pool hop to the Contemporary Pool because we plan to get the family boat rental plan there for the week -- and so we'll probably use their pool too. (I picked Contemporary because I assume the pool will be less crowded than the Poly.) We're staying at OKW but would probably pool hop to the Contemporary even if we were at Beach Club.

I have not done this yet, but I think after staying at CSR My kids might enjoy the pool there for a few hours on an AK day. I like having the option, I just don't think it is practical to use on days we swim only for an hour. If I were able to work in pool only days this option would be one I would enjoy.

"I have not done this yet, but I think after staying at CSR My kids might enjoy the pool there for a few hours on an AK day. "

That's a very good statagy, glad you posted it. We generally hit AK early and leave noon'ish. I've walked around CSR pool,think it's a very cool area, now you've given me a very convienant reason to try PH there. Thanks.

Every trip-mostly because we go a lot in August. Epcot in the AM, walk to BWV pool around 2PM, swim a while then go to MGM. We just wear swim suits and sandals anyway every day. Also we usually leave MK in the afternoon and monorail to Poly's volcano pool or GF pools. Its a great break from the heat. Would really miss this if discontinued. Kind of glad to see a lot of members dont do this so it is less likely to get out of hand and need to be changed.

If I were inclined to pool hop, I would still not do it and instead go to one of the water parks. It is too much of a hassle going to another resort to use their pool.

Mia--The reason that OKW doesn't have a slide is that the state of Florida requires life guards be present at any pool that has a slide. If they had to staff with life guards, the dues would ahve to go up, and the members voted this idea down several times in teh earlier years of the resort being open.
Thanks for the explanation ducklite. That's a shame. I'd be willing to pay a little more in dues for a life guard and slide---how much more could it be ? I'm aware what the BWV dues are and that would be ok with me. I honestly don't recall ever being given an opportunity to vote on this ? Then again, we've only been members for 3 years now. Do you have to physically attend the vote in FL, or can you vote by proxy ? I guess I'm in the minority on this slide/life guard issue, as far as OKW members go though ?

Originally posted by sgtpet
"If I were inclined to pool hop, I would still not do it and instead go to one of the water parks. It is too much of a hassle going to another resort to use their pool."

We love the water parks but pool hopping is a great way to spend a few hours around lunch. As far as it being a hassle, I simply pick up the phone and call valet services. My car is waiting at the resort entrance. It's easier than waiting for a bus.

Mia - There wasn't ever a vote on the pool slide and lifeguard question at OKW. Instead it was a survey given to a random sample of members. My recollection was that the dues would have gone up a few pennies as a result. And I seem to remember that 60% of those surveyed were against the change.

But at the risk of inciting the usual suspects again, I don't think you can say it was voted down because of the tiny increase in dues. I suspect that more people just like things at OKW the way they are, and don't want to see any changes.

But we'll never know for sure.

Me and the wife never had a reason to pool hop since we like to hang out at the quiet pool most often. That will change since we got a little one now, but we still would never go to another resort to swim, too much hassle in my opinion.

-Steve

DVC is different - if they think something is not use (like express check in - oh I still miss it.....) they discard it

so if not enough members (in their opinion) use something they will do away with it.

just can't see waisting time going to another pool when all of DVC's pools our well designed. If by chance the pool where we are staying gets crowded then we'll pool-hop:bounce: :bounce:
or pool-bounce:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

BY the way if your voting %'s are right then most of the pool hopping must be being done by non-members:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts