Do you cook on Friday nights?

Yeah, I didn't really like the broccoli slaw. But the creamy dressings really kick it up. And just to be sure...I may be off on the cranberry/kale. It could be some other combo but that is what I'm remembering :)
Thank you so much for the review! I'm going to try it. I'm tired of eating the same foods all the time!

If DH ever told me he's "gotta have" a specific kind of dinner every night, then he's gonna have to cook it himself!
That’s just how he grew up eating. He doesn’t actually “tell” me what he wants to eat, I just know. He’s not an adventurous eater so he likes everything pretty simple. A meat and potatoes guy. He has the metabolism of a hamster on a wheel so I know he needs to eat. I’m just tired of it all. He’s a good man who works very hard though. He just turned 64 and would love to retire next year but due to the fact that I don’t work and am 7 years younger, there’s no way we could afford health insurance for me. So he has to keep working till he’s at least 70. Such is life.

It's meant to be a small sacrifice, a purposeful act to keep one mindful...

DH's family is Catholic, and we usually do the Friday rule during Lent. But I kind of feel guilty, as I love seafood, so it's never really a "sacrifice" exactly. :laughing:

But it does remind me to think/reflect when I'm planning meals, so there's still that.

...Though why does the church not consider seafood to be meat? That’s what I’d like to know/understand.

I expect it was just a deal with the fishermen.

Though my college-age DS is taking an environmental studies class, and says eating beef is actually way worse for the planet. So I we're taking care of the Earth by participating. :goodvibes

I prefer not to cook on Friday nights. We just don't eat leftovers on the weekend so I avoid cooking an actual Friday meal. Instead, I'd rather assemble stuff out of the refrigerator.

We typically eat out on Friday nights. It’s a nice way to end the workweek. There have been a few times where we are even too tired to eat out, so then DH will either pick up a pizza or some other takeout on his way home from work.

It can be for someone who didn’t grow up in that faith. Your explanation is helpful.

Though why does the church not consider seafood to be meat? That’s what I’d like to know/understand.
Because it's not really about what's meat or what isn't. It isn't really intended to be a legalistic ritual with loopholes and work-arounds. It's a small, voluntary sacrifice that's traditionally executed by foregoing red meat or poultry. I guess if one is a vegetarian or vegan, they have to find some other way to humble themselves.

I still eat fish or other seafood on many Fridays (not just during Lent) even though I abandoned Catholicism 35+ years ago. It was always something my family did even long after the "no meat on Fridays" restriction was lifted in the late 60's. Unlike many other kids, I actually liked fish.

I couldn't tell you why fish/seafood was OK while "meat" was banned on Fridays.

Depends on the week. Of the two left at home, both are doing fall sports so we are likely out of the house. But the last few Saturdays, they've been hanging with friends and DH and I are like...um, you want to go out? LOL

I honestly cannot remember the last time I cooked on a Friday night. Friday nights are usually busy, and I don't get off until 6PM.

I usually only cook either Friday or Saturday. I don't want to be wishing I could go to bed while finishing up the dishes. I don't want to be up at 5 am on a Saturday, so I don't have to go to bed at 10-10:30.

When I cook, I don't cook for now. I cook for lunch for the next week or 2. I don't eat much for dinner, my eating happens at lunch when I'm most active being at work. I would never survive work if I ate half a piece of fruit and 3 nuts like many of you say you eat for lunch.

I usually only cook either Friday or Saturday. I don't want to be wishing I could go to bed while finishing up the dishes. I don't want to be up at 5 am on a Saturday, so I don't have to go to bed at 10-10:30.

When I cook, I don't cook for now. I cook for lunch for the next week or 2. I don't eat much for dinner, my eating happens at lunch when I'm most active being at work. I would never survive work if I ate half a piece of fruit and 3 nuts like many of you say you eat for lunch.
I agree - I could live quite happily without ever eating anything after 5:00 pm. My peak appetite and energy needs are between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. Alas, I have others to consider and DH is quite my opposite - he often skips lunch and is always ravenous for dinner. We also do almost all of our “social eating” in the evening so for the sake of nothing more than trying to control my calories, I eat a lot less at lunch than I really would like to.

Many people say that? Lol, not me. Mind you, I eat like a pig at supper too usually.

Husband usually makes supper on Fridays as he's off early. I would love to eat out but it's just to pricey to do that weekly with a family.
Often it's a more fun supper - nachos and wings, pizzas, etc.

Friday night is pizza night - we really look forward to it. But we always do frozen pizza, so I guess "technically" we are cooking lol, but I don't really think of throwing a frozen pizza in the oven as cooking. We almost never eat out or get take out so in my mind I think of frozen pizza as our "night off".

Sometimes. It depends. Did we buy enough meals to go through Friday? How tired are we? How busy are we? etc.

Although going out on Friday is a hassle because the restaurants are all so busy.

When we are home for the weekend, yes I cook on Friday. We usually eat out on Tuesday (movie night) and Saturday because we are always running errands.

Yes, I cook on Friday nights. We usually eat out on Saturday night, and as we're both trying to get healthier and fitter, limiting eating out to one night a week works for us. Usually, I make something seafood on Fridays. It all depends on what the fish market has that looks and smells good on Friday mornings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter