Do you cook on Friday nights?

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it!

As you may have inferred from the link, I got this through Sunbasket, so the ingredients just are what they are. If you're buying the ingredients yourself, I think the chickpeas would be a great substitution, and if you prefer no sweetener in the dressing, I'm sure that would work, too.

This dish fascinates me because I'm not particularly a fan of beets, and lima beans were among my most hated foods when I was a kid. But somehow it all comes together deliciously. This is one of my Sunbasket favorites, for sure.
I've been thinking about trying Sun Basket. How has the food been? And is it pretty reasonable calorie-wise?

I was vegetarian for about 3 years about 15 years ago but back then all the fake meats smelled / tasted like chemicals to me. I am glad that they have improved since then. I've tried Gardein chicken and was impressed. I was not impressed with their meatball, they had weird licorice flavor.
Yeah that’s probably from anise seed, I’m guessing they put that in there. Most Gardein products are really good, we love the crispy mandarin chicken. We eat beyond burgers a lot here too, they taste a little to close to real meat for me but the rest of the family loves them.

No. I don't cook on Friday or Saturday. We pretty much go out every Friday. Saturdays we rotate between getting pizza, going out or eating at my parents.

Okay. I took it it mean that you that you were used meat substitue for the protein. Not that you were making a "real" dinner. I was going to ask for suggestions. I have to start eating more "plant based" meals for health reasons.

Shrimp is still meat. Fish & seafood are all meats. Same as Beef, Pork & Poultry. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.
Ok, lets see here, we can call it "mammal-less"? As a Catholic I go by those standards( I give up "meat" on all Fridays not just during Lent) :) All seafood is ok to eat. And, yes, there are a few things on the list that might be surprising as a "seafood"(cold blooded animals).

How do you make shrimp tacos? I tried fish tacos once. They were so bland that I never tried any type of fish or seafood taco again. I'd love a recipe for an easy, flavorful, shrimp taco. Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to stand long enough to make anything complicated, so it needs to be easy.

I used fresh( as fresh as 3 hrs from the coast can get them :)shrimp ). I peeled them( while sitting down :)) and used old bay seasoning and a bit of crab boil seasoning. We like things pretty seasoned so we didn't skimp but didn't over do it with the seasonings. You can really use whatever seasonings you like. I have some asian seasonings I'm going to try next time. I bought some broccoli slaw and some serrano ranch dressing to go over it. That was it. My dd used some pre-packaged cranberry/kale salad from walmart on hers and liked it better than the slaw and serrano ranch. One dd just put plain ranch on hers. Pretty simple. Any kind of slaw or salad and any kind of creamy dressing works great. Make it what you like :)

As a Catholic I go by those standards( I give up "meat" on all Fridays not just during Lent) :) All seafood is ok to eat.
You can call it whatever you want. I get that the Catholic faith (and maybe other religions) do not consider seafood to be meat, like I said it is a pet peeve of mine. Even more so when someone says they are a vegetarian but then go on to say they eat seafood. ahh...no if you eat the flesh of any animal you are not a vegetarian.

You can call it whatever you want. I get that the Catholic faith (and maybe other religions) do not consider seafood to be meat, like I said it is a pet peeve of mine. Even more so when someone says they are a vegetarian but then go on to say they eat seafood. ahh...no if you eat the flesh of any animal you are not a vegetarian.

I hear ya on the if you are a vegetarian...eat vegetables :) It's just semantics and old habits I guess. But I do understand how something like that can bug a person. My food pet peeve is when people call a pig in a blanket, a kolache. Nope, not the same thing at all!!!

It's not consistent, last night we went out to eat but we don't every Friday.
We do eat out at least once a week, but not on a set day. Some weeks we eat out or get take out a couple nights.

I used fresh( as fresh as 3 hrs from the coast can get them :)shrimp ). I peeled them( while sitting down :)) and used old bay seasoning and a bit of crab boil seasoning. We like things pretty seasoned so we didn't skimp but didn't over do it with the seasonings. You can really use whatever seasonings you like. I have some asian seasonings I'm going to try next time. I bought some broccoli slaw and some serrano ranch dressing to go over it. That was it. My dd used some pre-packaged cranberry/kale salad from walmart on hers and liked it better than the slaw and serrano ranch. One dd just put plain ranch on hers. Pretty simple. Any kind of slaw or salad and any kind of creamy dressing works great. Make it what you like :)
Lucky you getting fresh shrimp. It's amazing how little readily available fresh seafood we have on the East Coast of South Florida. :sad2: I think my broccoli slaw was part of the reason my tacos were so bland. I just made it like I normally do & it needed more flavor to go with the bland taco shell & fish, which also needed more seasoning. I'll try the slaw with ranch. The prepackaged salad sounds good too. We eat a lot of those. I'll have DH look for the cranberry/kale version. Thanks for the help.

I've been thinking about trying Sun Basket. How has the food been? And is it pretty reasonable calorie-wise?

Without hesitation, I recommend trying it if you're interested.

I do three recipes per week. I'm vegan, and most weeks, there are only three vegan recipes (occasionally there are four). So my only real choice is whether to order a shipment on a given week or not. If you eat meat, there are a lot more choices (if memory serves, they have sixteen recipes each week).

Overall, I like the food a lot. I've liked some recipes more than others, of course. I can think of only one I didn't like at all. But there have been many more on the other end of the spectrum, where I've learned that even beets and lima beans (for example) can be delicious, when prepared the right way.

I looked at a random sampling of recipes (including vegan, vegetarian, and with meat/seafood), and most seem to be 600-700 calories per serving.

Lucky you getting fresh shrimp. It's amazing how little readily available fresh seafood we have on the East Coast of South Florida. :sad2: I think my broccoli slaw was part of the reason my tacos were so bland. I just made it like I normally do & it needed more flavor to go with the bland taco shell & fish, which also needed more seasoning. I'll try the slaw with ranch. The prepackaged salad sounds good too. We eat a lot of those. I'll have DH look for the cranberry/kale version. Thanks for the help.
Yeah, I didn't really like the broccoli slaw. But the creamy dressings really kick it up. And just to be sure...I may be off on the cranberry/kale. It could be some other combo but that is what I'm remembering :)

Friday nights are just like any other night in our house, cook at home. We are both tired from work usually and when we get home we just want to stay home, so Friday is no different.

Not every Friday, probably every other. We will get the 2 pizza & soda deal for $20. Feeds our family of 5 and I don't have to cook!

I'm sure that poster regrets not referring to themselves as pescatarian.

Yeah, I didn't really like the broccoli slaw. But the creamy dressings really kick it up. And just to be sure...I may be off on the cranberry/kale. It could be some other combo but that is what I'm remembering :)
We eat a lot of broccoli slaw as a substitute for typical cabbage slaw. We like the added crunch. Where I messed up was making it like I would to go with bbq, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. I obviously needed more flavor with a more bland "bread" & protein.

We used to eat dinner out 4-6 times a week but now we typically just eat out Fri and Saturday and one night during the week.

I agree! If you eat fish that is meat! I don't eat fish, red meat or pork but I do eat white meat chicken- which means I am NOT a vegetarian. I never got that "I can't eat meat on Fridays" nonsense but they still eat fish.

I agree! If you eat fish that is meat! I don't eat fish, red meat or pork but I do eat white meat chicken- which means I am NOT a vegetarian. I never got that "I can't eat meat on Fridays" nonsense but they still eat fish.
It's meant to be a small sacrifice, a purposeful act to keep one mindful - it's really not that hard a concept to grasp. :rolleyes:

It's meant to be a small sacrifice, a purposeful act to keep one mindful - it's really not that hard a concept to grasp. :rolleyes:
It can be for someone who didn’t grow up in that faith. Your explanation is helpful.

Though why does the church not consider seafood to be meat? That’s what I’d like to know/understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter