"Disney Rash" - I only get it at one park. Anyone else?

No clue friend, but I can tell you that I have never been bitten by a mosquito or seen another bug in the Disney bubble...

One time when I stayed at AKL the mosquitos were unbearable. I hadn't brought repellent since I never had been bitten before at Disney. What's that old joke about why there are no mosquitos at Disney? (They can't afford the tickets.)

I also recall one time being there during Love Bug time. Gross.

I suppose there could be some differences. You're lucky....my doctor kept telling me it was psoriasis! I even took photos to show her as it would be gone by the time I got in to see her! She even showed the photo to other doctors in the practice. I finally did my own research...and found golfers vasculitis and the fact that my b/p meds could make it worse!!! Brought her in the printed sheet...she looked at my meds and was astounded to see it as a common reaction! Geez! And to think I had to pay her for all those visits!
But mine have never been itchy....maybe a little tiny bit when it first starts but it isn't long lasting!

It would seem that there are most probably several different types of rash that occur in the hot/humid weather, when walking around a lot.

A psoriasis diagnosis would be a bit ridiculous since that's a genetic disorder and not something that just pops up & disappears. I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

For 3 consecutive years, I got that nasty rash, it took months to clear, after been red, it turned purple.....and it itch like crazy. Didn t let me sleep at night.
This last year, I didn t use snikers with socks like always, I used Crocs. No socks. Never got the rash.....:scratchin

'm a local, and have walked through the parks for years and years and years without issues. I'm also a runner, and my legs have never once showed signs of heat rash, "golfer's rash", etc.

My past 10 or so visits to the Magic Kingdom has resulted in awful rashes on both of my lower legs. I've read the long thread about the "Disney rash" and I'm not quite sure what in the world is causing this to happen in only ONE park. I can walk around the other 3 WDW parks, the water parks, DTD, Universal Orlando, Sea World, etc etc etc and absolutely nothing happens.

But if I go to Magic Kingdom for more than an hour? THIS happens.

2epsmz8.jpg

I went to the doctor this morning and she's a bit baffled herself. She's thinking there is something there that is causing an allergic reaction of sorts, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. This stupid rash will be here for a good week or so, be itchy as heck (nothing helps it, nooooottthhiiinngggg), then disappear until I head into Magic Kingdom again.

Anyone else here ever have this type of rash happen in only ONE park? Any remedies you can suggest? (For the record, I've tried wearing pants to cover my legs, skirts, shorts, slathering on sunscreen, slathering on Benedryl cream, Calamine lotion, etc before going INTO the park - nothing prevents it from happening.)

I'm more or less embarrassed by its appearance, and with my running season going into full swing at this point, I hate wearing shorts and capris that show this grodiness. Blah.

Don't worry, it's not that bad (just unsightly) and I've gotten it at 'all' the parks for years, and it goes away within a couple days after I leave. I also get it in the heat at other places when I'm on my feet all day on 'pavement'!! Have seen it on many others too! :goodvibes

I got the same thing in June! It went away as we left Florida...I have hypertension and am overweight, so I just figured it was the edema. It arrived day 1 of our trip--DHS.

DH thought I had touched a plant at the rental property.

I use an OTC anti-itch cream that contains Benedryl.

I think it's a variation of stasis dermatitis. This occurs when the blood pools at the bottom of your legs and your veins don't adequately return the blood. I say variation, because I don't think most of us dealing with this have true vascular insufficiency. But I hear a lot of "first time this year", and what's different for everyone this year? They are older than last year, LOL, and age is one of the factors. It's caused more by standing than walking.

I got this last time we went, and it's definitely worse for people who are more overweight, older, or on blood pressure meds (but anyone can get it). The reason it's worse at MK is because of the STANDING. Walking is actually not bad for it, because it keeps the blood moving, and would be why people don't get it when running and then do at Disney. Think about the parks--at Epcot and AK, especially, there is a lot of time between activities where you walk a relatively long distance. Even at DHS, there's more "strolling", and many of the attractions are shows, where you sit down for a while. But at MK, there are many more rides, which you stand in line for. And while there's plenty of walking, the park as a whole is more compact and there's much more standing.

P.S. I'm not an MD, just a PhD who spends her days with MDs, and they like my theory. ;)

I got Disney Rash in AK in Nov. 2010. Temps were cool so I was wearing long pants. I can't explain it! Never had it in the two previous trips and didn't get it on the trip after that one.

hi, don't know if its call the same over there but i would try a barrier cream. it can be bought at a chemist, if not ask your doctor.

cal:)

Golfers vasculitis isn't painful, there isn't any way to prevent it. It is a result of age and blood vessel irritation! It doesn't itch, there isn't anything you can put on it.
I actually started getting it really badly a number of years ago. Found that it was a side effect of my blood pressure meds. Changed them and it doesn't happen nearly as often. Just returned from a week in WDW....the 'rash' started but I caught it early. Put my feet up and rested more than usual. Nipped it in the bud before it could get worse.
Yes, there are other true rashes out there, but golfers vasculitis is very different than a regular rash.

I too am a victim of this rash and on BP meds as well! I think I will try your remedy next time and see how it works for me.

Don't worry, it's not that bad (just unsightly) and I've gotten it at 'all' the parks for years, and it goes away within a couple days after I leave. I also get it in the heat at other places when I'm on my feet all day on 'pavement'!! Have seen it on many others too! :goodvibes

I got it, much MUCH worse than OP's photos... I saw First Aid, who told me it was heat related, and kept me topped up with anti-itch stuff for the rest of my trip, and recommended wrapping my legs in ice towels when I got back to the resort each day.

I asked what would cure it, and their response was "going home!"... off the plane less than 6 hours in the UK and it was almost gone! :)

I think it's a variation of stasis dermatitis. This occurs when the blood pools at the bottom of your legs and your veins don't adequately return the blood. I say variation, because I don't think most of us dealing with this have true vascular insufficiency. But I hear a lot of "first time this year", and what's different for everyone this year? They are older than last year, LOL, and age is one of the factors. It's caused more by standing than walking.

I got this last time we went, and it's definitely worse for people who are more overweight, older, or on blood pressure meds (but anyone can get it). The reason it's worse at MK is because of the STANDING. Walking is actually not bad for it, because it keeps the blood moving, and would be why people don't get it when running and then do at Disney. Think about the parks--at Epcot and AK, especially, there is a lot of time between activities where you walk a relatively long distance. Even at DHS, there's more "strolling", and many of the attractions are shows, where you sit down for a while. But at MK, there are many more rides, which you stand in line for. And while there's plenty of walking, the park as a whole is more compact and there's much more standing.

P.S. I'm not an MD, just a PhD who spends her days with MDs, and they like my theory. ;)

It could be that. It could also be polymorphic light eruption. If you google that, there is a lot of talk of it on UK sites. It seems people from there go away to sunny places and get it because their skin isn't used to the sunlight. It's an allergy of sorts. Even here in the U.S., I didn't get one year when we went in February because I was wearing pants. Then the next trip which was in June, I got it. Also turned out that was the first exposure my legs had to the sun for probably over ten months. I guess I was technically older in June but I don't think that much older! :)

I got the rash last month during our visit to the World. I used hydrocortisone which helped with the itch. I never wear sneakers or socks in the parks-only flip flops. It went away when I got home

I have polymorphic light eruption. It's not fun. I take Benadryl the night before I will go in the sun. Still get very itchy and will occ get big whelps on my legs. The op would get rashes at home too it that's what it is.

I got this last month also. It was from my ankle to mid calve only 3/4 of the way around my leg though. It happened day 5 of our 17 days there. I am not on bp meds or any medication at all, I did not ride any water rides since I do not like water, I am not allergic to horses though I am allergic to cows but well Disney doesn't have those wondering the streets, and I never put sunblock on my legs because every one i tried before we left for vacation i broke out from.I have no idea where it came from but it burned more than it itched.

My 10 year old had a rash all over the front of his chest exactly where his shirt got wet from when he rode splash mountain though. His rash took 2 days of taking allegra and putting hydrocortizone cream on it to disappear. By the time that we got home; a 2 day drive mine was almost completely gone.

I remain clueless as to what could have caused it.

For 3 consecutive years, I got that nasty rash, it took months to clear, after been red, it turned purple.....and it itch like crazy. Didn t let me sleep at night.
This last year, I didn t use snikers with socks like always, I used Crocs. No socks. Never got the rash.....:scratchin

That was my exact experience. Day one I got a terrible itchy rash that travelled up my leg. I got rid of my socks and the rash disappeared. I always figured it was an allergic reaction to something in the socks.

I just read that there is a condition named varicose eczema, and it gets worse

with the excessive heat and the clothes materiales that we wear. Excessive heat
usually causes the skin become dry, itchy, cracked and eczema.

I just can't figure out why I get this rash at Disney but not at Universal.

We are on the tail end of a 4 day Universal trip: no rash yet and virtually the same "behavior" as at Disney in terms of walking. I've gotten the rash at Disney in October and April: its much hotter and more humid now than those trips but no rash.

And, as mentioned by others upthread, hydrocortisone cream takes care of it (I have tubes of HC cream in our storage lockers). I just can't figure out why Disney and not here at Universal.

I did notice that there's less asphalt at Universal (which someone mentioned upthread) and no animals (i.e. horses like at Disney) but I did water rides here like I would at Disney. I really had assumed it was the heat/humidity of Florida versus Oregon or Minnesota.

Now its driving me crazy trying to figure out the difference between Universal and Disney. :confused3 And how I can avoid it in the future at Disney.

This is me after 1 day of Disney at the end of April 2014 but my calves/ankles are unmarked as of now:

we have been to Disney 4 times always in Nov or Dec, but our last visit was in May and it was hot. this is when my husband got it, but it was after going swimming and it was only where his trunks touched, nothing he took helped, but it did disappear within a week of being home.
cal:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter