"Disney Rash" - I only get it at one park. Anyone else?

I have had this rash almost every time we visit MK. I honestly think it has something to do with the water on Splash Mtn. We usually go during the hot summer months. The two exceptions were a fall trip for MNSSHP and this past Dec...did not ride splash either time and these are the only times I did not get that dreaded rash.

I got the "rash" on our visit in September. Noticed it our first evening back at the WL after spending the day at HS. It was quite a warm sunny day in HS. Went to MK the next day and went to the medical building. Spoke with the nurse there and she said its a reaction to the sun off of the pavement :confused3 She gave me some cream for it.........said it was all I could do.

It actually never hurt.........:goodvibes but looked awful! Stayed with me for the entire 5 days of our trip............was gone by the next week!:cool1:

Doug :goofy:

It's 'golfer's rash' and can happen 'anywhere'. It's just that most people do not walk for 8-12 miles all day on cement. I've gotten it, and have noticed it on many other people - size or gender does not seem to matter. It always goes away after a day or two of leaving the parks. It's not just at MK, but at any of the parks if you walk enough. My Dr. has seen lots of it over the years.

(Not a mystery Disney rash!!!)

It's definitely NOT Splash Mountain!!! I don't even ride it, or any of the other water rides!!!

I have gotten the Disney rash for years. Doctors had no help. I do have psoriasis and was using my soothe treatment and for the first time I did not get the rash! I think I found a preventative for the rash!

Just to add to the Disney rash thread...I realized this year the only time I have gotten it is when I have worn shorts AND it is early in the year, in other words when my Northeastern skin on my legs hasn't seen the sun for six months. I thought it was certain parks but since I made that connection I think mine is polymorphic light eruption for sure.

Lots of goid feedback here. Sounds like it could be a number a legitimate things. However because it only happens in MK, I'm thinking an allergy to horses makes the most sense. If it were the bug spray or certain plants Disneybuses I would think it would happen at all the parks. You can test this theory by hanging out a Fort Wilderness for the day. They have horses there too. Try taking an antihistamine right before you go to MK. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I didn't read through all the threads.

It is called Golfers Vasculitis. I had it this past May when we did 2 parks in one day. Neither were MK.

Causes of the Heat Leg Rash
Researchers interviewed several people with the rash and discovered that many underwent extensive allergy testing because they believed they must have been having a reaction to some chemical or plant. But it was simply an irritation of the blood vessels following prolonged exercise in the heat, such as walking for extended periods or playing 18 holes of golf.

The rash is more common in people over 50. Most walkers can't pinpoint anything new they have used that may be causing a reaction. And since so many walkers have it, they couldn't all have contacted the same irritant. The source is simply heat and age--your leg blood vessels getting irritated from the heat.

Prevention and Treatment of Golfer's Vasculitis
The research offered no treatment or prevention recommendations.

It seems to occur in healthy, active people. The researchers suggest it should not be a health concern and recommend not getting allergy testing, etc.

In my non-medical experience at Breast Cancer 3-Day Walks and walking conventions, this rash appears on a vast range of walkers and commonly goes away by itself after a few days. Pampering yourself after a good long walk by taking a cool bath, sitting with your feet up, or applying cool wet towels to the rash may help relieve discomfort.

Other Heat Rashes
Heat Rash - Prickly Heat

Unlike golfer's vasculitis, prickly heat is itchy. It is triggered by blocked sweat glands and causes raised itchy red dots or bumps. It is best treated by getting out of the heat for a few days and not scratching the area.
Heat Rash and Prickly Heat

I get this all the time at WDW, have for years. It's not Splash Mountain (I don't ride Splash Mountain) or shaving, it's golfer's vasculitis. I usually bring some 1% hydrocortisone cream (available OTC... Cortaid or generic equivalent) and it helps with the itching/burning, but it doesn't clear it up; only time (and not being in the parks) will do that! I've also used aloe vera, peppermint foot lotion, and calamine lotion, but the hydrocortisone works best for me.

Probably way off the mark, but first thing that came to mind when seeing this thread was that it could be caused from the ash / residue from the fireworks every night. It's hot, you're sweaty and walking through the dust which kicks up and sticks to your legs. Would explain why is seems to occur mostly at the MK.

I posted earlier in this thread. I got it again this August but not until the last couple of days. Then we came home and 2 weeks later I got it at our state fair. That's a first. It was incredibly hot . I have noticed it only shows on the inside of my legs.

My daughter and I have gotten it- just once out of our many visits- but we got it at AK and were only there about four hours. I did notice that we both wore sneakers (which we never really do- but went to park right from airport- so ever since we have worn flip flops. Probably just a coincidence but we haven't gotten it since.

I don't think its Golfers Vasculitis. I've gotten this rash since I was in my 20's and only at Disneyworld. (It says it affects older people usually). We travel a lot so I've gone to places where we walk all day, in the heat, on pavement, etc but never get it unless we are at Disneyworld (in the summer). I only seem to get it if it rains & wear flipflops on the wet pavement and if its hot. I didnt get it this summer (it didn't rain on us). I don't get it in cooler weather wearing flipflops. Now I'm going to pay attention to what park I get it in.

Last edited:
I don't think its Golfers Vasculitis. I've gotten this rash since I was in my 20's and only at Disneyworld... but never get it unless we are at Disneyworld (in the summer).

I just have to throw in/rethrow my 2 cents in. I only get this rash at WDW - we went to Universal in early September 2014 and it was waaaay hotter in Orlando then vs when we usually go to WDW (at the end of Oct/early Nov for F&W). I did not get the rash at Universal nor do I get it when walking up/down the strip in Las Vegas (hotter but drier).

I expected to get it at Universal but 5 days walking around and no rash. I get it within a day of arriving at WDW and it has been driving me crazy trying to figure why I only get it at WDW.

I get this every time we are in the parks too. Whatever it is, it sure can be painful. I discovered a long soak in the hotel hot tub at night, followed by ice wrapped in a towel on it takes care of it each day. More the hot tub, heat with the chemicals they use, than the ice. The ice was just to reduce the inflammation than anything else...

Lots of goid feedback here. Sounds like it could be a number a legitimate things. However because it only happens in MK, I'm thinking an allergy to horses makes the most sense. If it were the bug spray or certain plants Disneybuses I would think it would happen at all the parks. You can test this theory by hanging out a Fort Wilderness for the day. They have horses there too. Try taking an antihistamine right before you go to MK. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I didn't read through all the threads.

Probably way off the mark, but first thing that came to mind when seeing this thread was that it could be caused from the ash / residue from the fireworks every night. It's hot, you're sweaty and walking through the dust which kicks up and sticks to your legs. Would explain why is seems to occur mostly at the MK.

No, this definitely 'does not' just occur at MK, but walking a lot (especially in heat) for hours at a time. I always start getting it about the 4th day I'm there, then this past trip dh got some too. We are neither over weight so that's not the cause, but unlike others, ours does not hurt 'unless' we forget and rub it with wash cloth, then it stings for awhile, but that's all. I only started getting it after turning 50 or so, but it seems to vary from person to person.

Our Dr. says it is definitely 'golfers' vasculitis and it affects people differently - being over weight does make it worse. We have seen people with solid angry red blister looking rash all over the back of their lower legs, but ours seems to be just a red rash. It's not harmful and goes away on it's own. Ours diminishes completely within a few days of 'normal' life!

I just look at it as a side effect of enjoying Disney too much! :D

It's not always golfers vasculitis. Polymorphic light eruption is a real thing, very common in fair-skinned people who travel to warm places all of a sudden (for example Europeans who go on spring break on sunny islands after the winter)

One thing the original poster knows for sure...MK is the culprit. I highly believe that it is an allergic reaction to something in that park, and only that park. Problem is, it will be very difficult to figure out what.

It could be contact dermatitis (meaning you actually brushed against something) or there is some vapor/chemical/dander arising from the ground surface. But something at MK is doing it, that's for sure.

The whole " only in MK" thing is really a mystery, truly. I doubt it is golfer's vasculitis. But hey, I'm not a doctor.

Please keep us posted.

I went to Epcot for the day in March and developed this rash. It looked just like the rash in the first post. I thought it was sun poisoning from the beach, but hadn't been in two days so was totally confused. For sun poisoning it said not to use anything greasy on it, so I used cool compresses. But now that I see this, I'll watch on this trip to see if it happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter