"Disney Rash" - I only get it at one park. Anyone else?

Well this is good to know about, I get rashes from everything from all metals except gold and plantium and lots of other weird things, so I will diffintly bring some cream with me :)

That's exactly what I get on the tops of my feet and on my forearms. Mine only ever flares up at WDW and I first thought it was a sun protection spray that I had tried and stopped using it but have never used that brand again, yet it recurs year after year. I am not prone to heat rash of any description the only logical explanation I can think of is that something I shower with or put on my skin is reacting with water that has got onto my skin (was thinking water rides where usually the forearms and feet are affected? It's a mystery and it clears up within a day or two of getting home.

I get that rash every year. Usually only at the MK ... but not always. I got it on day 1 of our trip 2 weeks ago, that was fun. :upsidedow

'm a local, and have walked through the parks for years and years and years without issues. I'm also a runner, and my legs have never once showed signs of heat rash, "golfer's rash", etc.

My past 10 or so visits to the Magic Kingdom has resulted in awful rashes on both of my lower legs. I've read the long thread about the "Disney rash" and I'm not quite sure what in the world is causing this to happen in only ONE park. I can walk around the other 3 WDW parks, the water parks, DTD, Universal Orlando, Sea World, etc etc etc and absolutely nothing happens.

But if I go to Magic Kingdom for more than an hour? THIS happens.

2epsmz8.jpg

I went to the doctor this morning and she's a bit baffled herself. She's thinking there is something there that is causing an allergic reaction of sorts, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. This stupid rash will be here for a good week or so, be itchy as heck (nothing helps it, nooooottthhiiinngggg), then disappear until I head into Magic Kingdom again.

Anyone else here ever have this type of rash happen in only ONE park? Any remedies you can suggest? (For the record, I've tried wearing pants to cover my legs, skirts, shorts, slathering on sunscreen, slathering on Benedryl cream, Calamine lotion, etc before going INTO the park - nothing prevents it from happening.)

I'm more or less embarrassed by its appearance, and with my running season going into full swing at this point, I hate wearing shorts and capris that show this grodiness. Blah.

I've had this rash two times. Once when I went to China 5 years ago. It was very very hot and we were outside walking around most of the day.

The second time I got it was on my last trip to Disney in September. It was hot and humid and we walked around a great deal. I have walked around in the heat and Disney parks many times and this is the first time I saw this on my leg at Disney. I bought cortisone cream at the resort and it faded. It didn't fade entirely until I went home.

I thought this was going to be a discussion of the dreaded EPCROTCH. Never mind.

I have gotten this rash at wdw, Seaworld in CA, Philadelphia. I think it is an allergic reaction to a cleaning/antibacterial agent in the water rides and the sidewalks. I've gotten it after wet rides and after heavy rains where the water on the grounds splashes onto my legs.

Last year at DLR we rode Splash and the water hit my face. By the time we got off my eye was watering and swollen. I went to first aid and they looked at the eye and rash and confirmed what I had been told before by doctors that it was an allergic reaction.

I make sure to use an antihistamine when I'm at WDW, and have a cortisone cream for the itchiness in case I get the rash.

I have had this before at Disney but last summer it got so bad I went to urgent care. The doctor there told me he sees this all the time and he feels like it comes from either - the plants Disney uses to fight bugs, something they spray in the parks, or the sun reflecting off the concrete. He gave me steroids to take and mine cleared up in a few days.

Penny

I have had this before at Disney but last summer it got so bad I went to urgent care. The doctor there told me he sees this all the time and he feels like it comes from either - the plants Disney uses to fight bugs, something they spray in the parks, or the sun reflecting off the concrete. He gave me steroids to take and mine cleared up in a few days.

Penny

I wish we could find out for sure what it is so that we could then find out if there is anything we could do to pre-treat or prevent it

I got a very similar rash - all over my forehead!!!

It was awful and got worse as the week went on - after a few days it went white and pimply.

Cleared up within 24 hours of getting home.

Maybe I'm just allergic to Florida :)

I get this every time I go in the summer months. I am not sure which park, as we park hop and it seems to develop over time. This year, a smaller version of it appeared on my forearms and back of my hands also. Those were very tiny spots, not the larger red welts that I get on ankles/calves. So much fun!! But it doesn't stop me from going LOL.

This is so strange...I had the exact same thing on the top of one of my feet this July when we were there. I got it after our first day and it itched like crazy!

I had a similar situation when I was at MK a few years ago, and now whenever I go to DLR. I'm allergic to a certain kind of grass that's mainly used in (big surprise here) golf courses and theme parks. I was allergy tested a few years ago and it came up on a list among a few other plants. Whenever I walk into Frontierland/Adventureland, my hands immediately start to swell and get itchy. Got a similar skin rash at the marathon a few years ago. I've found that bringing Benadryl and taking one right at the start of the itch usually helps. :)

I get this every year when at Disney, and also when I visited NYC in the summer.

Google polymorphous light eruption - I believe this is what it could be. I can't stand it and have been desperate to find a "cure". For me its starts out on the backs of my legs and by the end of my vacation it is usually on my thighs and the front of my legs also.

I use tons of sun screen and that usually helps it from coming out right away. I also use Cortisone for the evening. I do not get this anywhere else and believe it is because my arm/face are exposed to the sun more throughout the year, where my legs are not.

'm a local, and have walked through the parks for years and years and years without issues. I'm also a runner, and my legs have never once showed signs of heat rash, "golfer's rash", etc.

My past 10 or so visits to the Magic Kingdom has resulted in awful rashes on both of my lower legs. I've read the long thread about the "Disney rash" and I'm not quite sure what in the world is causing this to happen in only ONE park. I can walk around the other 3 WDW parks, the water parks, DTD, Universal Orlando, Sea World, etc etc etc and absolutely nothing happens.

But if I go to Magic Kingdom for more than an hour? THIS happens.

2epsmz8.jpg

I went to the doctor this morning and she's a bit baffled herself. She's thinking there is something there that is causing an allergic reaction of sorts, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. This stupid rash will be here for a good week or so, be itchy as heck (nothing helps it, nooooottthhiiinngggg), then disappear until I head into Magic Kingdom again.

Anyone else here ever have this type of rash happen in only ONE park? Any remedies you can suggest? (For the record, I've tried wearing pants to cover my legs, skirts, shorts, slathering on sunscreen, slathering on Benedryl cream, Calamine lotion, etc before going INTO the park - nothing prevents it from happening.)

I'm more or less embarrassed by its appearance, and with my running season going into full swing at this point, I hate wearing shorts and capris that show this grodiness. Blah.

I have gotten this several times through the years and it's always at MK. So weird... I always wondered if others got it, if it might be the water at Splash Mtn. or what. Last year, when we went in December, it was cold and I wore long pants every day. Twelve days in the kingdom and I didn't get it. So, I am wondering if it is something either on the pavement related to the horses or the reflections. Have always thought it really strange that it only happens in MK. Will be there one week from today, and I am hoping it will be cool enough to do lightweight long pants again. ;)

pixiedust:

Bama_C said:
I have gotten this several times through the years and it's always at MK. So weird... I always wondered if others got it, if it might be the water at Splash Mtn. or what. Last year, when we went in December, it was cold and I wore long pants every day. Twelve days in the kingdom and I didn't get it. So, I am wondering if it is something either on the pavement related to the horses or the reflections. Have always thought it really strange that it only happens in MK. Will be there one week from today, and I am hoping it will be cool enough to do lightweight long pants again. ;)

pixiedust:

It's got to be something with the heat and humidity. Everyone here has mentioned.it happening in the summer..

That is strange that you only get it at MK. I do get the "Disney Rash" every trip, mine looks just like that but a little more red as opposed to pinkish.

We are big park hoppers so it is hard to determine where I normally get it. Mine doesn't really itch (maybe a little when it first starts). But mine actually burns (seems to only burn when I get dirt and whatnot kicked up on it from the ground). I only get it on my lower legs...I know you mentioned you have tried this but the only thing I have found to help mine is Benadryl cream (It calms the burning, lightens the color and goes away within a day or two when using this).

I have noticed that the concrete seems to irritates mine. As I said when I get dirt and particles kicked up on my legs the burn, I have also noticed this if I sit on the ground or on a concrete ledge of sorts. Is it possible that you sit more at MK than the other parks maybe for parades and shows?

Surfinpiratee said:
It's got to be something with the heat and humidity. Everyone here has mentioned.it happening in the summer..

I know for me at least, if it were the heat and humidity it wouldn't just happen at MK just this year. We've been to WDW in August in 2009 and in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 we went in September. Also, we walk 3, 4, 5, and a couple times even 6 miles in upper 80's/90 degree weather, along with humidity beforr vacation to get use to walking in the heat and it's never bothered me. Plus, I'm the type that loves laying out in the sun in 80/90 degree weather. It is odd that it was just this year and just one leg!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Yes, and I only noticed mine being on back of my lower calves. It normally happens in September for me... and sometimes it is really hot and humid, but we have had times when it was mild, too. I will be interested to see if I develop it this trip.

I wonder if it is from sitting on the benches in the monorail or the ferry to get to MK. Maybe Disney cleans the benches overnight and the chemical residue is still on the seats?

Later,
Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter