Disney now charging handling fees for grocery deliveries

I wonder what would happen if I went to the front desk to get a package they accepted for me, and I just refused to pay their fee. Could they legally keep it? Would they actually return it to the sender? Would I be out what I paid for the contents? Just curious.

How would you refuse to pay it? It will just be added on to your bill, whether you take the items or not.

How would you refuse to pay it? It will just be added on to your bill, whether you take the items or not.
Yeah. I guess I was envisioning a scenario that really wouldn’t happen. The guests who are unaware of the fee would likely just suck it up to get their packages, perhaps after a bit of complaining.

But I was also interested in what would happen to any unclaimed package. Are hotels legally obligated to return packages they accept on behalf of guests or would it be first-come, first-serve for staff?

I’m surprised it went on for so long without a fee. It always surprised me that Disney was accepting of people ordering groceries and storing it for them.

We do Garden Grocer. This will apply to that if I understand, but do we know if it also apply to stroller rentals getting delivered to bell services? Is that a package?

We use Garden Grocer as well and our last trip - 12/20, we were charged the $5 fee - I had also ordered a few items ( from Santa) for the kids , since we were there for Christmas , and each box had the $5 charge sticker on it - when I asked guest services at the lobby ( ASMovies) if they could hold the stuff for us to pick up once it was delivered, we were told that only amazon is now the only company allowed to ship to the resorts

I don't think every up charge from Disney lately is reasonable (resort parking costs) but this does seem reasonable. I can only imagine how many people have grocery deliveries sent to the resorts. So now the staff needs to spend their time storing and delivering them. Seems reasonable.

According to WDWNT and the way it’s interpreted from the website it seems it’s for both. We need some first hand reports to be sure.

Just saw report from the DIS the looks like it is for both based on verbage from Disney:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/walt-disney-world-begins-charging-6-bell-services-delivery-fee/

wdw-receiving-mail-fee.jpg

Just saw report from the DIS the looks like it is for both based on verbage from Disney:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/walt-disney-world-begins-charging-6-bell-services-delivery-fee/

wdw-receiving-mail-fee.jpg
I don’t mean to say that this isn’t indicative but that is the exact wording on that site for a long time. The only thing that changed is the fee that charged from $5 to $6. So personally I don’t read much into how groceries would be handled from that language because they were always treated differently and could possibly continue to be treated differently (charged only for in room delivery by bell services as rumored)

It has been a package received was charged the $5 per package no matter what: delivered to room or just the front desk.

Here is a cached version of the site on 3/27

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

And from January 2018

http://web.archive.org/web/20180109...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

Edit: The DIS’s post is incorrect because package receiving isn’t $5 anymore it is now $6 per the change on Disney’s site and reported elsewhere. I should also note the post says if you pick up groceries from bell services you won’t be charged the fee according to the DIS.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to say that this isn’t indicative but that is the exact wording on that site for a long time. The only thing that changed is the fee that charged from $5 to $6. So personally I don’t read much into how groceries would be handled from that language because they were always treated differently and could possibly continue to be treated differently (charged only for in room delivery by bell services as rumored)

It has been a package received was charged the $5 per package no matter what: delivered to room or just the front desk.

Here is a cached version of the site on 3/27

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

And from January 2018

http://web.archive.org/web/20180109...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

Edit: The DIS’s post is incorrect because package receiving isn’t $5 anymore it is now $6 per the change on Disney’s site and reported elsewhere. I should also note the post says if you pick up groceries from bell services you won’t be charged the fee according to the DIS.

ah, so in an effort to clarify things, appears they and then I created more confusion ... apologies

I didn’t say I would do it. I haven’t stayed at a Disney property in over eight years, and I’ve never had a package sent to any hotel. I’m just interested in the logistics and potential legalities, particularly for guests who may not be aware of the fee.

I would imagine, that if guests kept causing trouble in regards to the fee, Disney would simply stop allowing packages to be sent to resorts at all, which would really mess up how a lot of folks vacation there. So I hope people will accept the charges with grace and be glad they at least have the option to send their packages to the resort.

From the DIS article
Beginning immediately, guests who have a package delivered to their guest room from bell services other than their luggage that arrives on Disney’s Magical Express will incur a $6 per package handling fee. This fee will apply to groceries, gift baskets, InstaCart or Amazon deliveries as well if bell services delivers them to your room.

So if I arrive in my car at the resort and have a box, I will be charged the $6 fee but someone coming on Disney's Magical Express will not? I am a DVC member and my dues pay for the magical express which I have never used since we joined in 2009 as we always drive to WDW. This seems very wrong that members are not treated equally as we all pay dues to cover DME whether we use it or not. Or is this article only referring to non-DVC stays?

From the DIS article

So if I arrive in my car at the resort and have a box, I will be charged the $6 fee but someone coming on Disney's Magical Express will not? I am a DVC member and my dues pay for the magical express which I have never used since we joined in 2009 as we always drive to WDW. This seems very wrong that members are not treated equally as we all pay dues to cover DME whether we use it or not. Or is this article only referring to non-DVC stays?

I'm confused, are you saying you're shipping a box to your hotel for your stay, or you are bringing one with you? The DME stuff really is just peoples' luggage that they have already brought with them, so it's not quite the same thing in my eyes...

I would imagine, that if guests kept causing trouble in regards to the fee, Disney would simply stop allowing packages to be sent to resorts at all, which would really mess up how a lot of folks vacation there. So I hope people will accept the charges with grace and be glad they at least have the option to send their packages to the resort.
So, as we say in the military, just BOHICA...

ah, so in an effort to clarify things, appears they and then I created more confusion ... apologies
Disney needs to just put out press releases for these changes so us as their consumers know definitive answers. You could be correct in the end who knows until Disney half hazardously starts charging people the fee; though as of yet it appears nothing official from Disney aside from the package price increasing.

Disney needs to just put out press releases for these changes so us as their consumers know definitive answers. You could be correct in the end who knows until Disney half hazardously starts charging people the fee; though as of yet it appears nothing official from Disney aside from the package price increasing.
Well they could but I’m sure most guests wouldn’t read that. Also even when Disney does put out releases they usually don’t lessen the confusion on such things.

Well they could but I’m sure most guests wouldn’t read that. Also even when Disney does put out releases they usually don’t lessen the confusion on such things.
I think for fees it should be definitely be listed on their site. This if true (and I have no reason to believe it isn’t true) has yet to be listed on their site. But I agree it may not necessarily reduce confusion with some though I think with many a fee change would be rather easy to follow. No one knows definitively how this fee will work, delivery to room or delivery to front desk or both.

I think for fees it should be definitely be listed on their site. This if true (and I have no reason to believe it isn’t true) has yet to be listed on their site. But I agree it may not necessarily reduce confusion with some though I think with many a fee change would be rather easy to follow. No one knows definitively how this fee will work, delivery to room or delivery to front desk or both.
I agree, I just think Disney doesn’t make anything easy so why would they make this easy. That’s just how Disney operates unfortunately.

Why would you do this. WDW is using paid staff to provide a service (recieving, storing, and handling a package for you) at their expense. They have every right to charge you for performing this service. They also could just stop doing it.

This is a confusing statement to me. The actual job description for these paid staff is to provide services to guests. That's literally the entire reason for their employment. It's not that silly for someone to wonder why Disney would charge extra for their service staff to perform a service for you. You can argue as to which services they were hired to do, but I would argue that what has always put Disney a notch above the rest is the lengths they used to go to serve their guests. If they choose to offer less complimentary services than the Motel 6 up the road, that's pretty telling.

Disney likely wouldn't be in this grocery delivery pickle if they didn't charge exorbitant prices for their own groceries. And people wouldn't be forced to cook and pack their own meals if Disney Restaurants weren't also so expensive.

Instead of keeping prices reasonable so people don't look elsewhere for food, they choose to price gouge instead? By all accounts, it sounds like it's nearly impossible to get your groceries delivered without them coming through the front desk - since lobby pick-up is a no-no and the delivery entrance is the only place Amazon and grocery delivery companies are allowed to go. If my family ordered our groceries for the week onsite, we'd have at least 10 bags or boxes of food - 60 bucks? No thanks. If staying there, I'd simply spend one less morning spending $$$ at a Disney park and drive myself to the store to pick up my own groceries. Disney's loss.

To be honest, this just solidifies our family's decision to continue staying at offsite resorts - where the staff go above and beyond, I get groceries delivered to my door for free, parking is free, and I get a 5 bedroom pool home for 1/10th the cost of staying at a grand villa onsite.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this still applies, but the last time we ordered from Garden Grocer, I was able to scan my license and send it to them in advance. We did not have to be present when alcohol was delivered to AKL with our groceries.

Garden Grocer is set up to do this, but Amazon Prime Now and Instacart's policies are that if your order has alcohol, you have to meet the driver and present ID. I realize this is not universally enforced but I have had to meet drivers from both of these services.

Drivers from both services have been allowed to meet me in the lobby whether or not my order contains alcohol (not forced to use a receiving door). I'd love to hear if that's changed recently, and also if anyone staying now with a recent delivery can confirm any info.

This is a confusing statement to me. The actual job description for these paid staff is to provide services to guests. That's literally the entire reason for their employment. It's not that silly for someone to wonder why Disney would charge extra for their service staff to perform a service for you. You can argue as to which services they were hired to do, but I would argue that what has always put Disney a notch above the rest is the lengths they used to go to serve their guests. If they choose to offer less complimentary services than the Motel 6 up the road, that's pretty telling.

Disney likely wouldn't be in this grocery delivery pickle if they didn't charge exorbitant prices for their own groceries. And people wouldn't be forced to cook and pack their own meals if Disney Restaurants weren't also so expensive.

Instead of keeping prices reasonable so people don't look elsewhere for food, they choose to price gouge instead?
By all accounts, it sounds like it's nearly impossible to get your groceries delivered without them coming through the front desk - since lobby pick-up is a no-no and the delivery entrance is the only place Amazon and grocery delivery companies are allowed to go. If my family ordered our groceries for the week onsite, we'd have at least 10 bags or boxes of food - 60 bucks? No thanks. I'll simply spend one less morning spending $$$ at a Disney park and drive myself to the store to pick up my own groceries. Disney's loss.

To be honest, this just solidifies our family's decision to continue staying at offsite resorts - where the staff go above and beyond, I get groceries delivered to my door for free, parking is free, and I get a 5 bedroom pool home for 1/10th the cost of staying at a grand villa onsite.

To the bolded - you, the consumer are choosing not to pay these prices, Disney isn't forcing you to buy groceries and have them delivered to you. I get it's expensive, but we are all choosing to visit.

I'm going to assume you are staying DVC? Then I can see where it would be upsetting to have to pay a fee when your resort type (DVC) encourages cooking.

If you aren't DVC, then I don't think you really have a leg to stand on at this point. And I think it's the non-DVC stays getting these large deliveries that is now the driving force behind these new fees.

By your own admission, you would be having 10 boxes of food delivered to the resort. You don't expect some kind of fee for Disney to store and then deliver these 10 boxes to you?

I'm also betting because of all this we will all have to deal with a resort fee instead of a $6 package delivery fee.

Drivers from both services have been allowed to meet me in the lobby whether or not my order contains alcohol (not forced to use a receiving door). I'd love to hear if that's changed recently, and also if anyone staying now with a recent delivery can confirm any info.

You've always been able to negotiate that with the driver, for Instacart and Amazon Prime at least. You can 100% leave Disney out of the mix and ask them to just meet you outside. They may even be able to come into the lobby but I just go out and meet them and the guest drop off area. In fact I had a driver once who thought that was the only way you could do it and I had to explain to him to please drop it off at Bell Services as we weren't there at the time.

Last edited:
To the bolded - you, the consumer are choosing not to pay these prices, Disney isn't forcing you to buy groceries and have them delivered to you. I get it's expensive, but we are all choosing to visit.

I'm going to assume you are staying DVC? Then I can see where it would be upsetting to have to pay a fee when your resort type (DVC) encourages cooking.

If you aren't DVC, then I don't think you really have a leg to stand on at this point. And I think it's the non-DVC stays getting these large deliveries that is now the driving force behind these new fees.

By your own admission, you would be having 10 boxes of food delivered to the resort. You don't expect some kind of fee for Disney to store and then deliver these 10 boxes to you?

I'm also betting because of all this we will all have to deal with a resort fee instead of a $6 package delivery fee.
I don't think you read through my whole post . . . we stay offsite right now and I'm so glad of it after seeing all of these changes. Money talks - and in the case of Disney, the majority of park guests choose to give offsite resorts their money instead of onsite for these exact reasons.

I absolutely do think it's terrible service for Disney to nickle and dime their guests when you can stay offsite in better accommodations, for much lower costs, and get way better service. For example, we stayed at Windsor Hills last trip. 5 minute drive from Disney. Luxury home with it's own pool. $200 per night. Delivery of fifteen bags of groceries right to my door - absolutely free. Parking - free. Resort fee (at a resort that contains a massive zero entry pool, children's water park, multiple playgrounds, a theater, gym and sports complex) - none.

We bring in our own food to the parks - sure, it's by choice. But we wouldn't be making that choice if Disney wasn't charging so much for park food. So, essentially, it's Disney's choice, too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter