• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney now charging handling fees for grocery deliveries

I don't think you read through my whole post . . . we stay offsite right now and I'm so glad of it after seeing all of these changes. Money talks - and in the case of Disney, the majority of park guests choose to give offsite resorts their money instead of onsite for these exact reasons.

I absolutely do think it's terrible service for Disney to nickle and dime their guests when you can stay offsite in better accommodations, for much lower costs, and get way better service. For example, we stayed at Windsor Hills last trip. 5 minute drive from Disney. Luxury home with it's own pool. $200 per night. Delivery of fifteen bags of groceries - absolutely free. Parking - free. Resort fee - none.

We bring in our own food to the parks - sure, it's by choice. But we wouldn't be making that choice if Disney wasn't charging so much for park food. So, essentially, it's Disney's choice, too.

I'm happy you found something better! :)

To me this fee isn't out of line, some are, but not this one for reasons I explained previously.

I think having a fee might encourage people to at least consolidate their orders, for people who are ordering multiple times. They probably want to mostly cut down on people who are having a jillion orders during the course of the week and holding stuff multiple times.

We did an Amazon Prime Now order on our most recent trip, for in-room breakfast items, snacks, bottled water, and some alcohol. About 80% of the items we chose were coming from Amazon and the other 20% were coming from their Whole Foods arm, so they ended up being 2 separate deliveries (I wasn't aware this would be the case when creating the order). My husband met the driver in the lobby both times (they arrived about 30 minutes apart) so CBR didn't hold or deliver anything for us -- but they were really nice and offered my husband a golf cart ride back to the room with the bags.

I don't think we were charged a fee at that time -- but even if we were.... our order was like $45 (we got the free delivery since we spent more than $35), so if we had a $6 fee for each order, for the lobby to hold and possibly deliver them to our room (we did neither, but still), that's a total of $57... now I'm imagining if we instead went out to a QS or TS for breakfast for 5 people every morning... we'd blow way, way past that $57 very fast, probably on the first or second morning... now add in the other stuff we got to cut down in park costs like the snacks and water -- it's still not bad. If they said, "Hey, $20 to get a delivery at the resort", I'd say, OK, too much.

We do off-site stays too, but then that's a different 'type' of Disney vacay for us... we do full on real grocery shopping then and do more than just breakfasts, utilize a full kitchen, get the items ourselves, etc. so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison to a Disney motel room equip with only a little fridge.

You've always been able to negotiate that with the driver, for Instacart and Amazon Prime at least. You can 100% leave Disney out of the mix and ask them to just meet you outside. They may even be able to come into the lobby but I just go out and meet them and the guest drop off area. In fact I had a driver once who thought that was the only way you could do it and I had to explain to him to please drop it off at Bell Services as we weren't there at the time.

I've always had drivers either leave items with Bell Services (no idea if they walked through the lobby or used an alternate entrance to do so) but I've also met them in the lobby at Bell Services to show ID for orders containing alcohol. I've only used APN or Instacart so I'm not sure what they have other services/ drivers do. I never thought to meet them outside, but usually I'm there before the room is ready (or at a park when they arrive unless I'm ordering alcohol) and need the items stored so it's easiest to let Bell Services handle it.

I don't mind the $6 fee as it's small change to me at that point for the convenience, and I'm still coming out ahead by not buying breakfast daily and Uncrustables for $4 each that my DS2 will have 2 bites of before declaring "all done!"

I hadn't thought to meet them anywhere else but it's useful for others to know that if this is an issue, they could meet the driver outside in the drop off area to leave Disney out of it.

I've always had drivers either leave items with Bell Services (no idea if they walked through the lobby or used an alternate entrance to do so) but I've also met them in the lobby at Bell Services to show ID for orders containing alcohol. I've only used APN or Instacart so I'm not sure what they have other services/ drivers do. I never thought to meet them outside, but usually I'm there before the room is ready (or at a park when they arrive unless I'm ordering alcohol) and need the items stored so it's easiest to let Bell Services handle it.

I don't mind the $6 fee as it's small change to me at that point for the convenience, and I'm still coming out ahead by not buying breakfast daily and Uncrustables for $4 each that my DS2 will have 2 bites of before declaring "all done!"

I hadn't thought to meet them anywhere else but it's useful for others to know that if this is an issue, they could meet the driver outside in the drop off area to leave Disney out of it.

I mean if you give them the address they'll meet you outside the car care center :) They don't care it's just another address for them. Disney doesn't really come into play into the delivery driver hands the groceries over to bell services. And unless they start charging them just to come through the gate those who want should be able to avoid the 6 dollar charge.

I think having a fee might encourage people to at least consolidate their orders, for people who are ordering multiple times. They probably want to mostly cut down on people who are having a jillion orders during the course of the week and holding stuff multiple times.

Having spent an evening at the Bell Services desk trying to have my luggage located last August, I agree. While I was standing there for maaaaaaybe 15 minutes, there must have been 5 calls about grocery orders (I know because there was also a CM earning his ears so he had to interrupt the CM helping us to ask questions), and 2 deliveries coming in. This was on a Friday night around 7 PM, for reference. All of that has to be accounted for and stored (refrigerated/ frozen if applicable). We love the convenience and savings of having groceries delivered and that was eye-opening. It really does take time away from other tasks, so I will pay a fee for using the service. I do wish that more of this fee was going directly to the CMs involved.

The issue is that it is per package.
6 bags=$36, for something that takes a minute to load, a minute to unload, and a few minutes to walk to a room.

DVC is marketed with the fact that folks cook their own food, now it's a problem when they do just that.

If Disney wants to stem the flow of grocery orders, lower the prices in the gift shops.
It wouldn't take much for Disney to set up their own grocery store/delivery service with prices comparable to Amazon to keep the money internally.

The issue is that it is per package.
6 bags=$36, for something that takes a minute to load, a minute to unload, and a few minutes to walk to a room.

DVC is marketed with the fact that folks cook their own food, now it's a problem when they do just that.

If Disney wants to stem the flow of grocery orders, lower the prices in the gift shops.
It wouldn't take much for Disney to set up their own grocery store/delivery service with prices comparable to Amazon to keep the money internally.

I could have missed something, but I believe the $6 is per delivery, not per package. One $6 charge to deliver however many bags arrive in that delivery.

We own at BCV and I can't remember Disney ever promising us or advertising free grocery delivery. I don't see current advertising saying as much, and even when I look at room amenities "being able to cook your own food" is not listed. I understand I'm arguing semantics, but Disney charging a fee to deal with grocery deliveries (a fee which you don't have to pay, there are alternatives) does not take away your ability to obtain and cook your own food.

Disney does have their own grocery delivery for DVC members, it is a $10 fee to use it. The list of items is fairly limited and I understand that, but they DO offer the service. The fees in the gift shops are comparable to what some pay from services that deliver. I'm putting together an order for my upcoming trip and a loaf of bread from Disney's gift shop is maybe 50 cents more than the one I'm having delivered.

Since ordering groceries and having them delivered isn't the norm for me when I stay at other hotels I see storing and delivering them as an added service Disney does for me. I have no issues paying a fee for a service I utilize.
When I stay at a hotel and use room service I am charged a fee on top of the cost of the food, because it's an added service of the hotel.
I don't see what Disney is doing as any different.

We do off-site stays too, but then that's a different 'type' of Disney vacay for us... we do full on real grocery shopping then and do more than just breakfasts, utilize a full kitchen, get the items ourselves, etc. so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison to a Disney motel room equip with only a little fridge.

I would imagine that many of the onsite grocery deliveries are for those staying DVC in a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom villa with fully equipped kitchens, though, right? So, it would be pretty comparable to offsite options...

I could have missed something, but I believe the $6 is per delivery, not per package. One $6 charge to deliver however many bags arrive in that delivery.

We own at BCV and I can't remember Disney ever promising us or advertising free grocery delivery. I don't see current advertising saying as much, and even when I look at room amenities "being able to cook your own food" is not listed. I understand I'm arguing semantics, but Disney charging a fee to deal with grocery deliveries (a fee which you don't have to pay, there are alternatives) does not take away your ability to obtain and cook your own food.

Disney does have their own grocery delivery for DVC members, it is a $10 fee to use it. The list of items is fairly limited and I understand that, but they DO offer the service. The fees in the gift shops are comparable to what some pay from services that deliver. I'm putting together an order for my upcoming trip and a loaf of bread from Disney's gift shop is maybe 50 cents more than the one I'm having delivered.
All of the press releases so far list the $6.00 charge as per package / per bag (not per delivery).

I would imagine that many of the onsite grocery deliveries are for those staying DVC in a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom villa with fully equipped kitchens, though, right? So, it would be pretty comparable to offsite options...

That's true. I've never been able to afford DVC villas so it doesn't cross my mind as much, lol.

I can't speak for everyone but I've ordered (and seen) grocery orders at non-DVC resorts. Snacks, water, alcohol, other food items that don't require cooking, and even diapers/ wipes/ toiletries can all be ordered through these delivery services. No need for any kitchen, fully equipped or not.

Many bloggers have entire posts about how to make a grocery order to save at Disney and what specifically to order for your room with no kitchen and limited refrigerator space. I've seen some that suggest ordering sand toys, pool floats, bubble wands. Just last week was a post asking about storing something like 2 weeks worth of groceries in a value room, including bringing a cooler to fill with perishables.

All of the press releases so far list the $6.00 charge as per package / per bag (not per delivery).
There actually hasn't been a press release from Disney on this at all yet. The rumor/story started from Garden Grocer who said it was $6 per delivery, not bag, only if Bell Services delivered to your room. They did say that dropping them off at the front desk and the guest retrieving them from desk wouldn't result in the fee.

As for the language everyone is referencing that has been on Disney's site for a long time and is in reference to mail packages. The only thing recently updated on there was the fee per package was $5 now it is $6. Though because the language hasn't been updated it is hard to draw any conclusions on that site to how groceries will be treated. Since the language is static in regard to what will be charged I do see the possibility of what Garden Grocer reported as being likely.

Interesting, as I've seen many articles specifically stating "per delivery."

Perhaps the articles you reference are referring to the package handling fee (which is not the same thing)?

I can't speak for everyone but I've ordered (and seen) grocery orders at non-DVC resorts. Snacks, water, alcohol, other food items that don't require cooking, and even diapers/ wipes/ toiletries can all be ordered through these delivery services. No need for any kitchen, fully equipped or not.

Many bloggers have entire posts about how to make a grocery order to save at Disney and what specifically to order for your room with no kitchen and limited refrigerator space. I've seen some that suggest ordering sand toys, pool floats, bubble wands. Just last week was a post asking about storing something like 2 weeks worth of groceries in a value room, including bringing a cooler to fill with perishables.
Oh, for sure! I'd imagine lots of non DVC owners do orders. Similar to anyone staying in an offsite studio hotel. But it sounds like there are some DVCers on here who are pretty concerned about being charged for a service when Disney has directly marketed to them based on the ease of being able to cook meals in your own villa, etc.

I was more trying to speak to the fact that you can actually make an apples-to-apples case for onsite vs. offsite when it comes to grocery delivery.

Interesting, as I've seen many articles specifically stating "per delivery."

Perhaps the articles you reference are referring to the package handling fee (which is not the same thing)?
Sorry - should have specified that all of the press I've seen quoted here on The Dis say per package, not per delivery. See article below, which clearly states $6.00 per package, totally separate from the $5.00 package handling fee for mail...

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/walt-disney-world-begins-charging-6-bell-services-delivery-fee/

Sorry - should have specified that all of the press I've seen quoted here on The Dis say per package, not per delivery. See article below...

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/walt-disney-world-begins-charging-6-bell-services-delivery-fee/
Yeah their article is mistaken to rely on that website on Disney. See my post below:
I don’t mean to say that this isn’t indicative but that is the exact wording on that site for a long time. The only thing that changed is the fee that charged from $5 to $6. So personally I don’t read much into how groceries would be handled from that language because they were always treated differently and could possibly continue to be treated differently (charged only for in room delivery by bell services as rumored)

It has been a package received was charged the $5 per package no matter what: delivered to room or just the front desk.

Here is a cached version of the site on 3/27

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

And from January 2018

http://web.archive.org/web/20180109...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

Edit: The DIS’s post is incorrect because package receiving isn’t $5 anymore it is now $6 per the change on Disney’s site and reported elsewhere. I should also note the post says if you pick up groceries from bell services you won’t be charged the fee according to the DIS.

I don't think you read through my whole post . . . we stay offsite right now and I'm so glad of it after seeing all of these changes. Money talks - and in the case of Disney, the majority of park guests choose to give offsite resorts their money instead of onsite for these exact reasons.

I absolutely do think it's terrible service for Disney to nickle and dime their guests when you can stay offsite in better accommodations, for much lower costs, and get way better service. For example, we stayed at Windsor Hills last trip. 5 minute drive from Disney. Luxury home with it's own pool. $200 per night. Delivery of fifteen bags of groceries right to my door - absolutely free. Parking - free. Resort fee (at a resort that contains a massive zero entry pool, children's water park, multiple playgrounds, a theater, gym and sports complex) - none.

We bring in our own food to the parks - sure, it's by choice. But we wouldn't be making that choice if Disney wasn't charging so much for park food. So, essentially, it's Disney's choice, too.

I've generally found that the more expensive a hotel is, the less that is actually included. The staff is nicer, the rooms nicer, the amenities nicer. But a lot of high-ned hotels still change for wifi, for goodness sake. Most of them have parking fees beyond what WDW charges. The less expensive hotels you're talking about offer free things to make them attractive or competitive, but luxury hotels rarely do because the resort itself is unique.

In any resort area, you can always find something less expensive on the periphery, something that's just a little bit further away from the resort. In those cases, they have to offer free things to compete. Inside the resort, they don't.

I would pay the fee and continue to order groceries, whether I rent DVC points, pay cash for a room, or stay offsite--it doesn't matter to us. We eat meals and a snack in the parks and/or resort at least once a day, but our boys get hungry, especially my teenager who is always hungry these days. I also like keeping healthier snacks in the room to offset the things my kids gravitate to in the parks. We can always buy fresh fruit in the parks, but enjoy having some options to offer the kids when we get back to the room. Disney also does not carry certain brands of sparkling water, so I like to have that delivered. I gave up soda so that is something I love having as an alternative, and I like one particular brand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter