Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

You could always get a recipe off the net and make one....:rolleyes1

Did you get any firework shots last night?

That is so scary, what could you do to avoid this? Just use cash for everything? Except I wouldn't like to carry that much cash around with me.

I am not brave enough to hire a car in America, and Adam isn't too keen either. When I was little and went to America my father crashed the hire car we were in. When he turned into another road he went to the wrong side of the road. I am now too traumatized to try on my own. I have no problem driving at home, just in a country that drives on the wrong side of the road :goodvibes

I guess I will scrap my post on your PTR where I suggest that you hire a car and drive to SF :rotfl2:

We conquered the "wrong side of the road problem" when we went to New Zealand, the only thing that I couldn't get over was the word "left turn". As the Navigator I kept saying, "Make a Left" when I meant "make a right". See in my mind it was the turn against traffic and at home that's a left. By the end of the trip we worked out a new system, I knew which hand I wore my watch on and which one I wore a bracelet, so I would say, "turn towards the watch" or "turn towards the bracelet" and we were good.

Thanks for the timely reminder about keeping your eye on your credit card. What was the outcome? Will the banks reimburse what was taken?

Thanks for the timely reminder about keeping your eye on your credit card. What was the outcome? Will the banks reimburse what was taken?

We are constantly having our credit card information comprimised. Usually the credit company finds it first. They call us with some strange charges and they are always willing to remove the charges. The funny part is that the theives usually spend less than we do! :lmao:

The bank called us when they detected the spend. They cancelled the card immediately and we weren't charged. We got replacement cards within 5 - 10 business days.

If you haven't already done so, you might like to contact your bank and let them know that you are going to the US because if they see any unusual transactions, they will call you...usually within 15 - 30 minutes. If they can't get hold of you, sometimes, they put a 'hold' on the card. They have a spot in your account where they can put a note in for your travel dates and location.

We are constantly having our credit card information comprimised. Usually the credit company finds it first. They call us with some strange charges and they are always willing to remove the charges. The funny part is that the theives usually spend less than we do! :lmao:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I guess I will scrap my post on your PTR where I suggest that you hire a car and drive to SF :rotfl2:

We conquered the "wrong side of the road problem" when we went to New Zealand, the only thing that I couldn't get over was the word "left turn". As the Navigator I kept saying, "Make a Left" when I meant "make a right". See in my mind it was the turn against traffic and at home that's a left. By the end of the trip we worked out a new system, I knew which hand I wore my watch on and which one I wore a bracelet, so I would say, "turn towards the watch" or "turn towards the bracelet" and we were good.

:lmao: When I was little I used to tell my right from my left, by looking at my hands, my left hand had two freckles on it and my right hand had one. Don't do that anymore of course :rolleyes1

I think maybe I will have to overcome my fear, it really would be easier to tour with a car. But it really is a scary thought learning in peak hour traffic in LA :eek:

:lmao: When I was little I used to tell my right from my left, by looking at my hands, my left hand had two freckles on it and my right hand had one. Don't do that anymore of course :rolleyes1

I think maybe I will have to overcome my fear, it really would be easier to tour with a car. But it really is a scary thought learning in peak hour traffic in LA :eek:

Look on the bright side, if you're learning in the peak traffic hours, you'll never be going faster than 20 mph!

Californians (at least So Cal) can't live without their cars. People are known to drive from one store in a parking lot to the other to avoid walking.

It's not as bad as everyone thinks. Mainly just a lot more cars than people expect.

The bank called us when they detected the spend. They cancelled the card immediately and we weren't charged. We got replacement cards within 5 - 10 business days.

If you haven't already done so, you might like to contact your bank and let them know that you are going to the US because if they see any unusual transactions, they will call you...usually within 15 - 30 minutes. If they can't get hold of you, sometimes, they put a 'hold' on the card. They have a spot in your account where they can put a note in for your travel dates and location.

Sadly that doesn't always work. Half the 'notes' supposedly put into the system don't get put in. Or if they are...they end up on the 2nd page half the staff don't think to look at.

We've called and they still put a hold. Highly embarrassing ...

They've also put a hold on when we were shopping at Boxing day sales!! :confused3

Anywho...

I'm joining the PTR :thumbsup2

Interesting itinerary. I honestly don't think I'd accept missing DL time to visit an aunt.......lol......It IS Disney :rolleyes1
Yes I'm heartless :flower3:
Why doesn't she meet you at the parks?

Hope the planning goes well though. Are you flying United or United? :lmao::lmao:

I actually prefer driving in the US to here. UNLESS it involves roundabouts or Aussie style carparks.

Americans fly through roundabouts in a terrifying manner. They have less of an understanding of them than Aussies.
And in tighter multistory carparks...F150 trucks do not fit :headache: please don't try

Sadly that doesn't always work. Half the 'notes' supposedly put into the system don't get put in. Or if they are...they end up on the 2nd page half the staff don't think to look at.

We've called and they still put a hold. Highly embarrassing ...

They've also put a hold on when we were shopping at Boxing day sales!! :confused3

Anywho...

I'm joining the PTR :thumbsup2

Interesting itinerary. I honestly don't think I'd accept missing DL time to visit an aunt.......lol......It IS Disney :rolleyes1
Yes I'm heartless :flower3:
Why doesn't she meet you at the parks?

Hope the planning goes well though. Are you flying United or United? :lmao::lmao:

I actually prefer driving in the US to here. UNLESS it involves roundabouts or Aussie style carparks.

Americans fly through roundabouts in a terrifying manner. They have less of an understanding of them than Aussies.
And in tighter multistory carparks...F150 trucks do not fit :headache: please don't try

Nice to have you on-board Queenie!

We are arriving on a Wednesday, which is a working day. My aunt is working and she lives about 1 hour south of Anaheim; so it is unlikely that she would get the most out of going to DL. I'm going to have to talk to her to work out what is possible.

And we're flying Qantas this time. We have DS with us and there is no way that either DH nor I are flying for 14 hours without in-seat entertainment to keep the boy quiet..:rotfl:

Yes...roundabouts and big trucks in small parking spaces. I think those are universal issues; not just restricted to the US or Aust. Have you seen how they go through a roundabout in Italy or in Asia? YIKES!

OH! Really remiss of me not to have said anything earlier!

And Queenie :magnify:.......nice new ticker :thumbsup2.

Nice to have you on-board Queenie!

We are arriving on a Wednesday, which is a working day. My aunt is working and she lives about 1 hour south of Anaheim; so it is unlikely that she would get the most out of going to DL. I'm going to have to talk to her to work out what is possible.

And we're flying Qantas this time. We have DS with us and there is no way that either DH nor I are flying for 14 hours without in-seat entertainment to keep the boy quiet..:rotfl:

Yes...roundabouts and big trucks in small parking spaces. I think those are universal issues; not just restricted to the US or Aust. Have you seen how they go through a roundabout in Italy or in Asia? YIKES!
:lmao::lmao: Oh don't start me on Italians!!! I've seen our neighbour do AMAZING things. Not to mention when you are in Italy.
And in the West midlands in the UK they just drive straight over the top. :confused:

I hope you get things sorted with your Aunt. I completely understand the dilemma. Just my instant "But it's DISNEY" response kicked in.
Was talking to a friend about my itinerary today and she rolled her eyes and groaned at having to allow time for Disney :mad:
Honestly...if she weren't such a good friend...:rotfl2:

OH! Really remiss of me not to have said anything earlier!

And Queenie :magnify:.......nice new ticker :thumbsup2.
Thank you :cloud9:
All my flights this time are Qantas, Air France :rolleyes: and KLM :headache: and I think they all have the in seat ent.
I asked if Air France were any better than KLM. They are as bad or as good as each other was the response :lmao: I mean when they merged I thought... the French and the Dutch...they deserve each other :rolleyes1
[And yes as I'm half Dutch I have the right to be very rude about them ;) ]

I'm just glad they aren't A380's
I actually ruled out Singapore Airlines because they were A380's

Over quite a couple of years, I’ve managed to travel a fair bit to NorCal…particularly around San Francisco. And I’ve been slowly detailing some of the tourist sights that I’ve been to on the DisBoard here.

For this trip, I will have 5 nights and 6 days in the region and having seen quite a few of the local attractions, I’ve been doing some research on what other things to go see in the area. Plus, I need to keep in mind that we are traveling in winter and my Numero Uno coffee buddy is 10!
If you’re a regular subscriber or lurker on this thread, you may have noticed that a number of us have been chatting about a Winter Scavenger Hunt. This WSC is being run from the photography sub-forum on the Boards and there are a number of items that I am hoping to snap during this trip. The hunt is a bit of fun and a means for us budding photographers to get out there and try to improve our photography skills.

There are a number of items (Ambience, Beignets, Po’ Boy, Mickey Waffle, Disney Menu/Resort Sign or Cast Member, Restaurant Table with Menu, Villain) that I’ve mentally slotted into the SoCal time to get.
There are also a number of items that I’m thinking I could possibly get in Central Cal (Cordwood/Kindling, Fireplace with crackling fire, Pizza Dude, Pizza Oven with hot Pizza, Steamy hot drink/Hot Toddy, Sunrise/Sunset).

For NorCal, I’m also planning on getting a number of items. So, here are the possible places to visit:
  • Coyote Point Museum (Critter, Hawk, Wild Animal tracks or habitat)
  • Winter Lodge Open Air Skating (Zamboni, Winter Sport, Rosy Cheeks from cold, breath in cold air)
  • Fisherman’s Wharf (I need to find something Cardinal related, Deli Sandwich with pickle, Dazzling Jewellery, Candy Jar, Peppermint, Soup’s On!)
  • Disney Family Museum (Vacation, mine!)

And if anyone thinks that planning my tourism activities around a scavenger hunt is..well...possibly a couple of cents short of a full dollar....well, just remember...All of us on the DisBoard plan our travel around a MOUSE!

At this stage, I’m still researching how or where I can spot a Frozen or icy body of water (lake, river), Ice Fishing, Ice Sculpture, Icicle, Lift Ticket or Ski Life, Saved Parking Space in Snow, Snowman, Snow plow Driver, Snow Removal, Snow Scene, Snowshoe and Top of Snowy Mountain (with real snow).

If there are any locals out there reading this, please let me know. I don’t particularly want to go waaaay out of the way and know that I could head to Bear Mountain in SoCal…but I don’t have time. So, if there are local spots in NorCal, please post!

princess::upsidedow

There are also a number of items that I’m thinking I could possibly get in Central Cal (Cordwood/Kindling, Fireplace with crackling fire, Pizza Dude, Pizza Oven with hot Pizza, Steamy hot drink/Hot Toddy, Sunrise/Sunset).

At this stage, I’m still researching how or where I can spot a Frozen or icy body of water (lake, river), Ice Fishing, Ice Sculpture, Icicle, Lift Ticket or Ski Life, Saved Parking Space in Snow, Snowman, Snow plow Driver, Snow Removal, Snow Scene, Snowshoe and Top of Snowy Mountain (with real snow).

Chances are the crackling fire can be taken in the lobby of the GCH Hotel. They usually have a fire going all Winter. You could possibly order a hot drink in the bar. They do have a pizza oven at Napa Rose, but not sure that you'd want to ask if you could go in to take a picture of the oven. :lmao:

Right now our So Cal mountains have snow on them, provided it stays clear (rain continues) you'll be able to see the mountains from most of So Cal.

And if anyone thinks that planning my tourism activities around a scavenger hunt is..well...possibly a couple of cents short of a full dollar....well, just remember...All of us on the DisBoard plan our travel around a MOUSE!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

That's not as bad as us planning our trips to fit in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives locations!

I already like your Disney Monkey! You're flying Qantas with In seat entertainment?? Welcome to the LIGHT side :lmao:.
I've flown Qantas and Finnair with in seat ent. So I know what it's like.
I just don't choose an airline over it. These airlines are being flown because of the price of the airfare. And I fly United because I get more LEGROOM. As opposed to many of these aircraft with the retrofitted in seat ent. which cuts into legroom for some seats

Not quite a fair point...
The Mouse is a vacation destination.
A Scavanger Hunt for PHOTOS is a task :confused:

But I'm all for insanity :lmao:

Chances are the crackling fire can be taken in the lobby of the GCH Hotel. They usually have a fire going all Winter. You could possibly order a hot drink in the bar. They do have a pizza oven at Napa Rose, but not sure that you'd want to ask if you could go in to take a picture of the oven. :lmao:

Right now our So Cal mountains have snow on them, provided it stays clear (rain continues) you'll be able to see the mountains from most of So Cal.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

That's not as bad as us planning our trips to fit in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives locations!

I'll try to pop into GCH to take a picture. And I got my shot of pizza oven with hot pizza yesterday....

Dandenongs040.jpg

Just caught up! Sounds great so far! DS must be stoked to be going with you this time!

He is. Although I made the mistake of showing him pictures on franandaj's PTR/TR about the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. He does NOT want to go there...:headache:.

I've flown Qantas and Finnair with in seat ent. So I know what it's like.
I just don't choose an airline over it. These airlines are being flown because of the price of the airfare. And I fly United because I get more LEGROOM. As opposed to many of these aircraft with the retrofitted in seat ent. which cuts into legroom for some seats

Not quite a fair point...
The Mouse is a vacation destination.
A Scavanger Hunt for PHOTOS is a task :confused:

But I'm all for insanity :lmao:

A scavenger hunt can be a vacation destination....I seriously considered going to vacay in Port Stephens this year for a shot of Whale in Ocean.
And I'm hoping to get a number of winter shots out of this trip....If I hadn't had it already planned, who knows? I might have considered a skiing trip instead...Japan, Tokyo and another castle down. :rolleyes1

It's 14 days today before I get on a flight to the US. I still have a million things to do and don't have time to get excited.

Still...
  • I've checked and double checked all our bookings and printed out the on-line confirmations.
  • I've updated in all government websites..ESTA, APIS, Smart Traveller.
  • I've found all our passports and have started a folder of things I need to take with me.
  • I've purchased travel insurance for DS and myself.
  • Booked in the minder service for our furbabies.
  • I've started to pull out addresses and travel directions on how to get to the various attractions I've been planning on visiting.

This weekend, I'm going to need to pull down the suitcases and start taking out the winter clothes for DS and myself. Just need to see if they are good to go or if some of them might need a wash before we go.....

*sigh* Still need to fit in office work and house work in between all this activity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter