Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

:cheer2: How exciting, you have so little time left, I can't wait until I am so close!

Enjoy the planning time...Your trip will come round really quickly!

My reminder in my phone for lunch with you in a week just went off! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I reset it for one day, I imagine that you will be getting off the plane or picking up your luggage the next time it rings!

Excellent! I'll see how I'm placed on Wednesday. I might try and call you sometime after we're settled...see how I go.

I've hit the 5 days to go mark...and it really is 5 days to go; not 5 sleeps. I'm actually down to 4 sleeps to go.

I finished up work yesterday in a mad rush. I think the people that banned me from showing my face in the office on Tuesday were having second thoughts about the ban. Still, there was so many things to do and push forward that it just felt like Friday was never going to end. I don't officially head back until 1 Feb. It sounds like a long time...but it really isn't.

I'm trying to get my mind around this mad dash now. Can you believe that I'm not organised?

This morning I headed out to pick up a few things that we will need. I still have additional items to pick up; which I plan to get either Monday or Tuesday. But these are pretty light and won't take up a lot of room.
I also decided that I need to get a hair cut before I go. It's been over 6 weeks since my last cut and I think I really should tidy it up a little bit. So, I'm going to have to find somewhere to get that done on Tuesday.

I'll probably need to wander into DS wardrobe this afternoon and pull out his winter clothes. It will predominantly consist of track pants....and I'm hoping that there is at least one pair of jeans that will still fit DS.

We still have to get the suitcases down from the attic and think about putting clothes in them. Anyone who has read my PTRs before will know that I err on the side of light packing. I certainly don't want to fill the suitcases to the brim....going. Coming back is a different matter!

Plus I've decided that I want to get a Ultra Wide Angle lens...and think I want the Tokina 11 - 16 mm f/2.8. I'm having problems sourcing this lens; it seems to be a popular lens and all the normal on-line places seem to be sold out. Oh well....back to the drawing board.

princess::upsidedow

Did I remember some sort of offer from the previous PTR about authentic TimTams? :rolleyes1

::yes:: I got two packets today just for you. I also looked at the Lamingtons (think I also promised you some in the same previous PTR) and will get them on Tuesday; so that they are still fairly fresh when they get to you. I'm contemplating a bottle of Australian port...but not sure how I'm going to get it to you. I'm pretty sure Disney security won't let it in through the gates. :rolleyes:

Do you want anything else? e.g., Chocolates etc.

I've hit the 5 days to go mark...and it really is 5 days to go; not 5 sleeps. I'm actually down to 4 sleeps to go.
I finished up work yesterday in a mad rush. I think the people that banned me from showing my face in the office on Tuesday were having second thoughts about the ban. Still, there was so many things to do and push forward that it just felt like Friday was never going to end. I don't officially head back until 1 Feb. It sounds like a long time...but it really isn't.
I can assure it is NOT very far away :scared1:
17 days :eek:

We still have to get the suitcases down from the attic and think about putting clothes in them. Anyone who has read my PTRs before will know that I err on the side of light packing. I certainly don't want to fill the suitcases to the brim....going. Coming back is a different matter!

Good on ya :thumbsup2

::yes:: I got two packets today just for you. I also looked at the Lamingtons (think I also promised you some in the same previous PTR) and will get them on Tuesday; so that they are still fairly fresh when they get to you. I'm contemplating a bottle of Australian port...but not sure how I'm going to get it to you. I'm pretty sure Disney security won't let it in through the gates. :rolleyes:

Haighs is popular Aussie Chocolate. Whenever I walk past the Sydney one it is full of people.

I'm a Ghiradelli gal myself :goodvibes

Hope you get everything sorted soon :cheer2:

Thank you!

I wouldn't even know what to ask for, I only know that I am not too keen on vegemite (as Aussie co worker of mine gave us some to taste back when). I only know of TimTams because you mentioned them, and then I found some made by Pepperidge Farm in our grocery store. They were very good!

I wasn't keen on the Lamingtons (I don't like coconut), but Fran said she would be more than happy to take them off my hands! :rotfl2:

Haighs is popular Aussie Chocolate. Whenever I walk past the Sydney one it is full of people.

I'm a Ghiradelli gal myself :goodvibes

Hope you get everything sorted soon :cheer2:

Thanks.

I was thinking of Haighs....but I'm not sure I'm heading to the city again next week. It might have to be Koko Black instead.

Thank you!

I wouldn't even know what to ask for, I only know that I am not too keen on vegemite (as Aussie co worker of mine gave us some to taste back when). I only know of TimTams because you mentioned them, and then I found some made by Pepperidge Farm in our grocery store. They were very good!

I wasn't keen on the Lamingtons (I don't like coconut), but Fran said she would be more than happy to take them off my hands! :rotfl2:

I'll get one packet for Fran then. I was pretty sure you didn't like the coconut but I know we did talk about me bringing one for you anyway.

I didn't know that PF was making Tim Tams....might need to do a bit of reconnaisance at the Supermarkets whilst I'm there.

Thanks.

I was thinking of Haighs....but I'm not sure I'm heading to the city again next week. It might have to be Koko Black instead.

I'll get one packet for Fran then. I was pretty sure you didn't like the coconut but I know we did talk about me bringing one for you anyway.

I didn't know that PF was making Tim Tams....might need to do a bit of reconnaisance at the Supermarkets whilst I'm there.

we'll see if we can find any of those PF Tim Tams, perhaps they were just a holiday thing.

It's Monday morning in Oz and in 2 days time (Wednesday morning Oz time), I'll be at the airport.

We've been hit by the housecleaning bug that seems to strike us down everytime we go away....DH has been busy mowing the lawn and we've been cleaning the house plus now have a mountain of ironing to show for the loads of washing that we've done over the weekend.

I'm about to head to the bank to change a bit more currency....I tapped out my store of Traveller's Cheques in October and think I should get some to take with me.

I've sorted out DS stack and still need to add socks and underwear to his pile. Still need to pack for myself....but then I'm such a light packer that it probably won't take me long to throw clothes into a bag.
And it's not as if I'm going somewhere that I can't buy stuff! :rolleyes1

So...here's a question for you out there...If you are going on holiday and you know you're going to go shopping.

Do you deliberately not pack clothing that you are going to buy at the other end or do you pack it anyway and live with the extra weight?

Me? I don't pack it or take something so old that I can throw out at the other end.

So...here's a question for you out there...If you are going on holiday and you know you're going to go shopping.

Do you deliberately not pack clothing that you are going to buy at the other end or do you pack it anyway and live with the extra weight?

Me? I make an excel worksheet for each of my trips, with each day listed in calendar format and is divided into morning, noon and night. I make one template for dining and one for clothes. I have a file for Disney trips and a file for all other trips. On my DVC trips to WDW, I know I'll have a washer and dryer in the room so I bring less clothes. I plan every outfit to the point of (days may vary depending on ADRs):

Day 1 - plane trip capris1/tank top1
Day 2 - sundress 1
Day 3 - capris2/tank top2 day, fancy dress evening
Day 4 - sundress 2 (laundry)
Day 5 - capris2/tank top 1
Day 6 - sundress 1
and so on

At the time of packing I pick clothes that are all in the same color scheme so I can mix and match and will not be wearing the same thing in all my pictures. I do 2-5 loads of laundry (small washer) while we're gone and always plan on only wearing the clothes that I bring. I find it difficult to find clothes that fit me well due to my size, plus at Disney I'm not fond of the current fashions they offer.

On a non Disney trip (wow, it's been about four years since I've been on one of those!), I usually use the same logic, but again I don't count on being able to find anything that I will like. We just did some major shopping before Christmas and I got some new upscale T-shirts and lots of casual clothes (all at major bargains!) On Christmas eve, I got some beautiful fancy event dresses (also major bargains), so I'm not sure I'd find things I wanted to buy. Living with a major shopaholic (who buys me no longer available embroidered Disney items on eBay), and loves to go on shopping sprees, has made me very picky about what I will bring home. I mean if you can't get all your clothes in the closet or on the racks that you've purchased to handle the overage, you start to think twice about buying more! :lmao:

I guess this says it all...we carry a travel scale to weigh our suitcases before going home check in. We also carry a duffel bag that if our bags exceed the weight we can add another bag, (we fly 1st class on frequent flyer points, credit card miles so baggage is free), we barely make the weight limit on the way out, so it is a definite issue on the way back. The good news is that we always pack wine and sodas in our suitcases on the way. We drink those while we're on holiday so by the time we get back we have built in room for our souvenirs!

On another note, you may get those snow capped mountain pictures...while it is nice and warm in the basin, it is still cool on the mountain tops and today there was still a good amount of snow. I don't know what route you plan on taking to Anaheim, but if you take the 105 to the 605 to the 91 to the 5 you might be able to pull off and get a shot or two. If you take the 405 to the 22, you might not have as good a vantage point...just making a suggestion.

I can't believe how close you're getting! I was trying to wrap my head around the whole passing the International Date Line thing and that you would be leaving at about noon or so our time Tuesday, but it would be your Wednesday, but you would arrive around 11ish our Wednesday. :headache:

So...busy at all? ;)

Hope the packing and sorting is going ok

Have a lovely trip! :wave:

Charged up my US mobile and sitting here entering contact numbers in. I've been to the shops this morning to see if I could get a few things....and Alison....we might have to leave the Lamingtons. I had a look at them and they just didn't look that good. The Tim Tams will just have to do...and I wonder what Club33 might think if we did the Tim Tam slurp with our coffees there....:rotfl2:

Packing is going okay. I've sorted out DS and my clothes and DH has a pile as well. We got the suitcases down from the attic last night and I'm going to do a pack this afternoon. My pile looks shockingly modest...even by my usual standards. I might have to start a list like Alison suggested and cross check if I have the right amount. Thing is...I'm planning on doing a wash in Silicon Valley on Sunday; so I might have calculated correctly in the first pass. Dang!

My pile looks like this:
  1. 2 long pants (one is a pair of jeans)
  2. 1 shorts
  3. 2 long sleeve tops
  4. 3 short sleeve tops
  5. 1 wool cardigan, long sleeve
  6. 1 short sleeve cotton cardigan
  7. Sock, undies

For wearing on the plane:
  1. 1 3/4 sleeve top
  2. 1 tracksuit bottom
  3. 1 tracksuit top (extra layering)
  4. Long woolen coat
  5. Pashmina (extra layering)
  6. Sketcher shoes

I'm not taking extra shoes. I figure that I probably will end up buying a pair of shoes and my sketchers would suffice...

Thoughts? Comments?

Charged up my US mobile and sitting here entering contact numbers in. I've been to the shops this morning to see if I could get a few things....and Alison....we might have to leave the Lamingtons. I had a look at them and they just didn't look that good. The Tim Tams will just have to do...and I wonder what Club33 might think if we did the Tim Tam slurp with our coffees there....:rotfl2:

Packing is going okay. I've sorted out DS and my clothes and DH has a pile as well. We got the suitcases down from the attic last night and I'm going to do a pack this afternoon. My pile looks shockingly modest...even by my usual standards. I might have to start a list like Alison suggested and cross check if I have the right amount. Thing is...I'm planning on doing a wash in Silicon Valley on Sunday; so I might have calculated correctly in the first pass. Dang!

My pile looks like this:
  1. 2 long pants (one is a pair of jeans)
  2. 1 shorts
  3. 2 long sleeve tops
  4. 3 short sleeve tops
  5. 1 wool cardigan, long sleeve
  6. 1 short sleeve cotton cardigan
  7. Sock, undies

For wearing on the plane:
  1. 1 3/4 sleeve top
  2. 1 tracksuit bottom
  3. 1 tracksuit top (extra layering)
  4. Long woolen coat
  5. Pashmina (extra layering)
  6. Sketcher shoes

I'm not taking extra shoes. I figure that I probably will end up buying a pair of shoes and my sketchers would suffice...

Thoughts? Comments?

Trackie dacks on the flight? hmmm. :confused3
I know you've flown enough to know what you like but I just couldn't contemplate that. I'm usually jeans or lightweight trousers.
The coat and jumper I assume are to have for the other end. I like the idea of a Pashmina...thanks for that :flower3:

No extra shoes I reckon makes sense. I did a 6 week holiday with one pair.
But lightweight thongs or sandals are always handy.

Because you are going to the US I think the rest is about right. :thumbsup2
I'd likely chuck in an extra short sleeve as they are my bottom layer but they are the simplest to get an extra of. And if you're washing that's all good.

As for the Tim Tam slurp...god I'd love to see you do that in Club 33 :lmao: :lmao:

Yes I know. Wearing a tracksuit on a plane can be an corny as Creamed Canned Corn. But....The tracksuit I have is an up-market lightweight one and is very comfortable to wear. The pants look like nice fitting black pants; rather than daggy pants. I knew it was travel-worthy because when I started to wear it on the flights, all these women in the Airline lounges used to walk up to me and ask me where I got my TS from. :goodvibes

The Pashmina is great. It doubles as an extra pillow or blanket; depending on how I feel and what I need.

Funny - you read my mind. I'd just gone through my pile and added one extra T-shirt and am now thinking about a pair of sandals. Not sure about the sandals...as I doubt I'd be using it in NorCal.

I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to post (or remember to) before you leave, so travel safe and have a good time! :)

Yes I know. Wearing a tracksuit on a plane can be an corny as Creamed Canned Corn.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ok since Imzadi is in on it too, I'll launch a full on attack, but I think even with you leaving, it's between you and me, unless Kimmar joins in, then we're history! I have all my DVC groups who I can quiz on if they've seen it in the store? :cool1:

Yes I know. Wearing a tracksuit on a plane can be an corny as Creamed Canned Corn. But....The tracksuit I have is an up-market lightweight one and is very comfortable to wear. The pants look like nice fitting black pants; rather than daggy pants. I knew it was travel-worthy because when I started to wear it on the flights, all these women in the Airline lounges used to walk up to me and ask me where I got my TS from. :goodvibes
It isn't a fashion thing :lmao::lmao:
It's a overheating thing for me. I try and avoid fleece on my legs.
But your description sounds good if they are lightweight.

Funny - you read my mind. I'd just gone through my pile and added one extra T-shirt and am now thinking about a pair of sandals. Not sure about the sandals...as I doubt I'd be using it in NorCal.
:scared1: I don't want to read you mind!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

The sandals are mainly for traipsing around inside. Going to a pool. Grabbing something from the car. Just something you have as an extra footwear.
That's why I just bring lightweight ones.

popcorn::

Just wanted to say:

Have a Great Time!
:banana::banana::banana:

I really hope you enjoy yourself. Stay safe, and I can't wait to see all the photos and read the TR when you are back :cheer2:

Thanks all. We leave today and I'm completing this quick post before the mad dash of the day.
Departure day is always bittersweet as it means that the holiday is about to commence. But it also means that it is time to stop all the planning and scheming!

I may not be posting to this TR during the next 10 days. Yes I will be in Silicon Valley ..... But the hotel we are staying at has the slowest Internet ever! Makes you wonder HOW it was ever developed from this neck of the woods!

Happy dis-sing all. See you soon!

Seeing as I have no idea what time (or day) it actually is there - in case you haven't left yet...have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter