DIS Fit - New Hopes, Dreams & Goals - Chit Chat Thread

Well, fall has finally come to Northern Alberta. We had rain Friday and Saturday (long periods of heavy rainfall) which caused our temps to fall drastically. It was the best record of temps on record ever for our region. We still have green trees here yet - which I have never seen in my 20 yrs living here.

Last night I went for a walk...Yikes :cold: It was cool. My ears were cold when I got home. I told dh that if this keeps up, I'll be heading back to the gym again in October. I am wimpy and don't like the cold. But - I want to keep on walking. It is seems to be the one thing I can do consistently, and feel better once I'm out walking. Even if I give myself permission to only do a portion because of my mood or energy level. I almost always keep going and complete and regular loop. Some days I feel like I can do it at a speedy pace. Other days, I just walk and not strive to break any records. I am working really hard at reframing my thinking - and stopping allllllllllllll of the negative, toxic diet/nutrition/exercise culture that seems to be that constant voice in our heads.

I hope everyone is well, and settling back into routines again now that school is back. I know that I am happy that routines are returning in our household. Our summer was great, but it is definitely time to get back into our regular routines.

Still working on the details of our family trip. I can't wait. Dh and were planning on going to the Vegas Nascar trip as as last minute get away. A little turn and burn trip. BUT, dd messaged today, asking me to come help paint their new house when they get possession of it - which is of course...that weekend :worried: So I'm a little bummed, but we will plan for another weekend for the 2023 schedule. We were hoping to use our companion fare for that trip. OH well, easy come, easy go!

Started a new fitness/nutrition program with a coach on Monday. I've been neglecting myself over the past few years and my mental and physical health have both been suffering. I also need to get away from the diet culture and just make good healthy habits that I can continue. This is more focused on giving your body what it needs to feel good, rather than a weight loss goal. I'm really excited about it. Made it to the gym for the first time since the spring and am starting to have more energy already!

I took the summer off watching my food intake carefully. I've gained back a few of those hard lost pounds but I'm getting back on track now with my walks and watching and noting what I eat.

I admit it is harder to get outside when it gets colder (and wetter). As we got a new puppy in the spring I will have no choice but to get outside 2x per day for 3Km walks as Niko needs his excercise (that was part of the reason I got him, forced outdoor exercise)

One step and one careful spoonful at a time we'll all get to our heathier living goals. Keep at it!

I also need to get away from the diet culture and just make good healthy habits that I can continue. This is more focused on giving your body what it needs to feel good, rather than a weight loss goal. I'm really excited about it. Made it to the gym for the first time since the spring and am starting to have more energy already!
Exactly. If it's Sunday afternoon and we are shopping at Costco and dh stops for an ice cream, I'm stop not embracing the moment and enjoy an ice cream. I'm done...just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo done with it all. That being said....I'm also not going to gorge eat whatever, but moderation and portion control are a huge part of it as well.
I took the summer off watching my food intake carefully. I've gained back a few of those hard lost pounds but I'm getting back on track now with my walks and watching and noting what I eat.
Yup, I hear you. I did the same thing. A few pounds back on...and you know what, I'm ok with it! I know that with going on my walks again, and watching what I eat (not obsessing, tracking, or abstaining) it will come off again. I am trying very hard to not follow the diet culture and narrative that goes with it.

I didn't get out for my big walk last night. But I did take Dumber ( dd dog who is currently living with us until they get possession of their new place) for a good 2 km walk last night. So I'll take that as a win!

Yeah the diet culture is very strong and makes me furious from the other side of the coin. My elimination diet is still in process, started in Feb 2020 and here I am plodding thru, every item that gets added to the no column feels like a kick to my stomach. I haven't been this healthy in years as far as my GI tract is concerned (from mouth to butt) and hives are a rare occurrence now but I'm really struggling with the fact that food is just fuel now. Yeah I've moved beyond the very basic meals I started with but I rarely have the motivation needed to cook any of them - red rice passed but it takes 45 friggin minutes to cook.

ANYWHO, I have been a lifetime member with WW and haven't paid a cent over the last 15 years (that means not once in that time did I go over my goal) but to maintain that label i need to do a monthly weigh in. For August the receptionist was overly excited because i had dropped 2 lbs, thought the tears i dissolved into were from joy and simply couldn't understand that I was heartbroken because I had a doctor's appointment and knew she'd be upset by the loss. 10 days later when i did my Sept one i was down another 1.5 and again she wanted to celebrate so i set her straight. I said "numbers on the scale are only one measure of a person's success and health and for me this is not good. I thought your program focused on lifestyle changes for a sustainable healthy life. I certainly hope you don't shame people who have a gain because that's what this feels like for me"

I'm not looking for pity and I certainly don't want one more person telling me that i should feel lucky and that they wish they had my problem. Trust me i wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy and it's not fun. I feel alienated, can't attend even basic ice cream outings without needing to explain that yes, a one time slip up isn't an option for me and a simple taste could literally kill me, I hate taking food with me to family weddings (One in June and another in October) and worrying that the restaurant won't allow me to bring in outside food (last one wouldn't even give me a plate so I felt like I was eating a school lunch), planning for Florida is a nightmare - what if we get stuck in the airport and I run out of safe food?!

Trying to go for our daily walks but that's going to be hard soon since hubby hates the cold and I can't motivate myself to leave the house on my own if i don't need to (yeah, exercise falls into the not needed row, I'm terrible like that!)

Trying to go for our daily walks but that's going to be hard soon since hubby hates the cold and I can't motivate myself to leave the house on my own if i don't need to (yeah, exercise falls into the not needed row, I'm terrible like that!)
Your dietary requirements would be a nightmare to live with. I can not even imagine.

As for motivation - I'm like you. Some days I definitely struggle - especially when I was first starting to get out and walk again. I am NOT, I repeat NOT a cold weather person. It's a good thing I live in such a tropical place like northern Alberta :rolleyes1 :laughing: I have HUGE struggles in the winter with the cold and darkness - which explains why I am always needing an escape mid winter. As much as I like curling up with a blanket on a cold winter night - after 3 months of it....I'm done!!!! I spend the whole late fall and winter tensed up because I'm always cold. Then I wonder why I'm grumpy.

On the days where I didn't want to get out and walk, I would challenge myself to just go for one time around our block - which is just over 1 km all the way around. Once I was around, I would decide if I could do anther block or head back inside. I would give myself the permission to stop at 1 block. At least I got out for a little walk - which is better than nothing. But I definitely relate to not wanting to get out. the struggle is real. People who minimize it - have not struggled with depression and/or low energy times.

I found having the gym membership this past winter helped. There is no place for a treadmill in our home except for the basement, and dh doesn't want to put one down there. As our home is older and getting one in and out will be a nightmare. So it's off to the gym for me to walk in the winter. I have found the sweet spot for when it's not busy most days.

I need motivation
View attachment 704482

Hugs Mel

I need a sweater! refusing to turn on the furnace as the temperature drops. It's cold today!

Motivation would be good too though :)

When is your Disney trip? Or is it Universal? Or both? Should be both. I think both would be ideal. But lots of walking in that, need to be "walk ready" and have those feet able to manage the 30,000 steps a day.

I need a sweater! refusing to turn on the furnace as the temperature drops. It's cold today!

Motivation would be good too though :)

When is your Disney trip? Or is it Universal? Or both? Should be both. I think both would be ideal. But lots of walking in that, need to be "walk ready" and have those feet able to manage the 30,000 steps a day.
Yep I got the warm fuzzy long housecoat out of the closet and my kitten thought it was a new jumping toy......lol.

My trip isn't until the end of Jan ,,,still undecided if I want to extend it into Feb. Just Universal Orlando this time.

Yep got to get those step numbers up,,,, unless I decide to sit on a floatie with a drink at float at Cabana Bay,,,,lol.
1663948030106.png

Yep I got the warm fuzzy long housecoat out of the closet and my kitten thought it was a new jumping toy......lol.

My trip isn't until the end of Jan ,,,still undecided if I want to extend it into Feb. Just Universal Orlando this time.

Yep got to get those step numbers up,,,, unless I decide to sit on a floatie with a drink at float at Cabana Bay,,,,lol.
View attachment 704500

We want to go to Orlando, kiddo wants to head to Universal. I am not sure I can totally give up a bit of Disney. I think we should stay at Cabana Bay because their pool area looks so nice. He wants to stay at the new Endless Summer places? Because we can get a two room suite and he won't hear my snoring :D We'll see. That picture looks so nice.

View attachment 704500

That sounds amazing! We leave for Universal in 3 weeks today! 5 nights at Portofino Bay and then 8 nights at AKL. We had Cabana Bay booked initially but then our group decided they wanted the express pass so Portofino was the cheapest at the time! Floating in that lazy river with a drink sounds amazing!

We want to go to Orlando, kiddo wants to head to Universal. I am not sure I can totally give up a bit of Disney. I think we should stay at Cabana Bay because their pool area looks so nice. He wants to stay at the new Endless Summer places? Because we can get a two room suite and he won't hear my snoring :D We'll see. That picture looks so nice.
Yeah I have been looking at Universal's Dockside ,,smaller than Endless summer but still has everything I want.
Great price for the the hotel.
I love the family suites here.
It's also fairly close to Volcano Bay and runs about $25-$30 dollars for a cab ( Uber) to Disney Springs.

Here's a Touring Plan comparison
https://touringplans.com/blog/whats...n-dockside-and-surfside-at-universal-orlando/

That sounds amazing! We leave for Universal in 3 weeks today! 5 nights at Portofino Bay and then 8 nights at AKL. We had Cabana Bay booked initially but then our group decided they wanted the express pass so Portofino was the cheapest at the time! Floating in that lazy river with a drink sounds amazing!
Oh boy you are going to have an amazing time at Portofino Bay Resort ,,,such a Luxury hotel ,,,can't beat those Express Passes.
Have an awesome Holiday!
If you see the Grinch say hi for me.
Oh and tell the turtles at AKL (Kidani) that I will be back soon.

Hugs Mel

1663949953972.png
https://blog.discoveruniversal.com/...weet-life-a-day-at-loews-portofino-bay-hotel/

I needed this yesterday! Was having a stressful day and didn’t get to my workout until after 8pm. Got it done though!

Our trip is in 9 days and now my husband has tested positive so hopefully that passes soon ☹️. He’s been so busy lately and worn down that it’s forcing him to stop.

I needed this yesterday! Was having a stressful day and didn’t get to my workout until after 8pm. Got it done though!

Our trip is in 9 days and now my husband has tested positive so hopefully that passes soon ☹️. He’s been so busy lately and worn down that it’s forcing him to stop.
Sending some healing HUGS your way Hon.```````🤗
Hopefully your hubby heals soon and you'll be on your way.
Congrats on getting that work out done! Way to go!!
Hugs Mel

Well, I started back working at HomeSense in the evenings and weekends. I limited it to 3 shifts per week with only 1 day on the weekends. They can pick which day I work, but I also NEED one day to clean, shop and get organized for the up coming week. It should work out to an extra $600-700/month for the winter months. They even hired me back at the wage that I left at! So I'll take that. It adds up fast - even though it's barely above minimum wage. But it will definitely help offset the cost of our trip! I am still waiting for the boys to make their final decision on Florida - or if they want to go experience some other place. I know the youngest is heavily leaning towards Florida. I am not sure where the older one would want to go where Mom and Dad tag along :rotfl:

Still getting some walking in. I haven't done as much as I wanted in Sept. It was a busy month of doing nothing, but I seemed to always be busy or feeling yucky. I seem to have picked up every cold going around right now. Oh well, I have walked more in October already than I did in the whole of September. Heading back into the gym to walk again. The dwindling daylight and cooler weather coming in - I'll head back to the gym. I don't handle the cold well!!!

Have a great day everyone :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter