DIS Fit - New Hopes, Dreams & Goals - Chit Chat Thread

Pumpkin1172

DIS Veteran
I wanted resurrect the thread...and seen our lovely @bababear_50 started. I enjoy a little chit-chat and updating as many of us are a small community - especially during all the lockdowns we have had over the past 2 years.

Now that life is starting to be a little more normal now, and more travelling is happening...I thought it will be great to reconnect again!

I was at the gym last night and walking and finally back into a groove again of going since we had our trip and I thought of this thread. I was happy and excited that I was finally feeling back into the groove of moving more again - and was wondering how everyone else was doing with adding more moving into the daily routines. And of course any other chit chat that we all seem to do!!!!!!!

Short term I'm trying to get ready for a half marathon in 10 weeks. Then back into the healthier long term gym routine. I lost a lot of muscle mass just doing cardio in the last two years. Which of course led to weight gain.

I was thinking about the old thread on the weekend.
I've been doing keto and actually feeling really good, energized which is nice, and has led me back to working out after work. I'm hoping to get back to walking even more as the weather improves. I am not a fan of the snow & ice.
The past couple years have been hard on everyone I'm sure. The current prices in the grocery store are not helping with healthier eating. My son is an eating machine, I guess he's 12 so his appetite is even bigger than before. He's been asking me about ways to gain weight and muscle, but I think he's still a bit young to have too many gains. We are working on getting more protein in him, he tends to favour carbs more.

We have a cruise booked for end of May and I do not want to have to buy new clothes, for that or spring/summer in general (for myself, kiddo has gone up a few inches since last summer so he'll need new stuff any way!). I have been keto for a few weeks and lost a few pounds. I know if I can up the activity it will help things along. I've dieted/gained so many times that it takes a bit of work for my body to really do what I want it to. I will add carbs back in slowly before our trip though, so I don't have any unfortunate tummy troubles while we are away :) I am also looking forward to this summer and getting back to the beaches, water parks, and pools. Maybe even some bike rides. But a few more pounds need to go before I can get back on the bike comfortably. Working on it.

I have been going to badminton drop in sessions for 2 hours on Sunday nights. I will be starting back to my badminton instructional class next week. I can't wait to start back again to the day class as I walk there so a nice morning stroll is good for me. My badminton friend is trying to get me to come to Aquafit with her but she goes at night and I would prefer the day so haven't attended with her yet. I may have to go at night with her as I think I read on the door of the community centre today that the day classes have moved to another location that I can't walk to.

Hmmmm....
Well I gave up coffee a little over a month ago. I still have my daily 1-3 cups of Tea,,, nope British background here and just not giving my cup of tea up.
1647987897155.png

I got the ok from my Dr to start using my rebounder.
It's been a rough go building my self back up again., but I am still trying each day.
Swimming swimming

I am still wearing a mask at work (school) and really honestly don't care what others are doing at this point,, everyone has to make their own decision. 3 and half months left till early retirement.

My youngest son tested Positive for Covid yesterday and it's been a frightening 24hrs,,,I've calmed down a bit but remain worried for him.
He is normally a healthy guy that works out at the Gym ,,does rock climbing ,,, eats Vegan most of the time (drinks a wickedly awful looking ) protein drink each morning. He lives on his own in Toronto. Without going into detail too much and breaking his privacy ...his ex wife is a two timing *%#@$%&*)(*D^I UJK and I hope someday she realizes the emotional pain that she has inflicted upon him.
The emotional stress that some have had to deal with during the past two years has been truly hard and I am proud of him restarting a new life during this time. Although following him dash all over the map during the past 9 months has been crazy stressful for me.
He just started a new job so hopefully this will keep him grounded for a bit.

Off to make a cup of tea and scan some flyers.
Hugs everyone
Keep swimming!

Mel

For anyone looking for a good home workout, I LOVE this channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/tyannclark

She has an excellent variety of challenge levels, workouts with weights and without, all different durations - and best of all, it's just music and NO TALKING. After trying a few of the viral YT workouts last year, I found I got so annoyed by the chitchat in some of the videos, especially if you're doing the same ones over and over. That story/joke was cute the first time, but the 27th time, not so much :P

Started going to the gym again a couple of months before BC shut them down again right before Christmas. Took a bit to get going again once they opened them back up again but have been going consistently the past two weeks. We have a two week trip to UO and WDW in October as incentive to get fitter and lose some of the extra COVID weight.

I've been walking a lot this last year preparing myself for a walking dog. Just got the puppy and it will be several months before he is able to go on long walks but I keep the walks up just the same. It has been great to be able to get out of the house and into nature everyday. We live on a stream/ravine with storm water settling ponds. There is lots of wildlife to watch come and go as the seasons change so it's been nice.

I got a rowing machine last summer and that works the upper body and abs. 12 more pounds to go and I will be at my goal weight. Some days are better than others with sticking with my new eating routine. When I fall off the wagon and have an endulging day I get back on and start up again the next day. One day at a time the weight and inches will come off.

Take the first step (whatever that is) and get moving, you'll not regret it.

Getting back into the routine of walking has been a struggle for me. Once the snow fell, I stopped going outside to walk. Then before Xmas I noticed that Planet Fitness has a sale on their memberships...so I snapped one up. I quit the second job (Homesense) at Xmas when I asked for time off at xmas to help dd and watch our gd between xmas and new years as she had to work and gd's daycare was closed. My regular job is closed between those 2 holidays, so I was more than glad to do that, but Homesense didn't want to give me the time off (I only work evenings :sad2: )

I had been going to the gym regularly to use the dreadmills. I actually quite enjoy it. I stopped to " quarantine" ourselves to test negative to get onto the plane for our Florida trip (which we didn't realize how much we actually needed that get-away and it was amazing!) and it took me another 2 weeks to get back into the swing of getting to the gym in the evenings again.

I'm still deciding if I will keep the membership once the snow and ice is gone. I enjoy the walking I am working on now - using the incline adding hills. I enjoy walking outside too...so I might be doing both. We will wait and see.

My youngest son tested Positive for Covid yesterday and it's been a frightening 24hrs,,,I've calmed down a bit but remain worried for him.
He is normally a healthy guy that works out at the Gym ,,does rock climbing ,,, eats Vegan most of the time (drinks a wickedly awful looking ) protein drink each morning. He lives on his own in Toronto. Without going into detail too much and breaking his privacy ...his ex wife is a two timing *%#@$%&*)(*D^I UJK and I hope someday she realizes the emotional pain that she has inflicted upon him.
The emotional stress that some have had to deal with during the past two years has been truly hard and I am proud of him restarting a new life during this time. Although following him dash all over the map during the past 9 months has been crazy stressful for me.
He just started a new job so hopefully this will keep him grounded for a bit.
Gosh, I have heard so many stories like this of people walking away from marriages. This is just another side effect of the craziness of the last 2 years. I hope your son has a quick recovery.
For anyone looking for a good home workout, I LOVE this channe
I'll have to check that one out!
Started going to the gym again a couple of months before BC shut them down again right before Christmas. Took a bit to get going again once they opened them back up again but have been going consistently the past two weeks. We have a two week trip to UO and WDW in October as incentive to get fitter and lose some of the extra COVID weight.
That was my incentive to get back to walking. Building my endurance to do all the walking I knew we would be doing on our trip! I played dh out with all the walking - he wasn't prepared lol. Yes...I had warned him, but he thought he knew better :rolleyes1
When I fall off the wagon and have an endulging day I get back on and start up again the next day. One day at a time the weight and inches will come off.

Take the first step (whatever that is) and get moving, you'll not regret it.
I agree. It's the consistency. It's making mostly healthier choices, and moving more. It's not about doing a program "perfectly". There is not such thing. If I want the dessert or my beloved hawkins cheezies while watching a movie, I'm gong to do it - because I want to. I can make healthier choices 90-95% of the time for what I eat, but I'm not going to deprive myself of things I want to eat anymore. It's about balance, and changing my mindsets that have been ingrained in me. It's time to change this " toxic diet culture" and just the toxidity of the whole food and ingredients thing. I'll get off the soapbox before I start ranting :lmao:

I did get to the gym last night. I didn't walk as long or as hard as I usually do, as I got there late, but I still showed up and walked 4 km's in 45 minutes. So I'll take that as a win. It was better than sitting on the couch with the remote in my hand snacking on the homemade cookies I whipped up over the weekend :flower:

4km in 45 min. That's a great pace.

I agree with you totally about the mindset thing. I'm not on a diet, it's a new lifestyle. Some of my extended family don't get it and always try to get me to "treat" myself when we go to visit. If I really wanted it I would eat it but I have changed what and when I consume food and "treats" aren't part of the equation. Food is not a reward for me anymore.

It's interesting, there are some food that perhaps I don't think are worth it any more. Pasta is one example. I love sauces, marinara, bolognaise, alfredo mmm but the pasta is just a vessel to let me eat that stuff so I'd rather have it on zucchini or whatever the case may be. Now chips, oh I do love those, and know I can't control myself around them so have to be strict on buying them. I do still get them for kiddo but hide them from myself so I don't eat them all at once. Maybe some day I will be able to stop but for now? Not the case :)
I have always been one to reach for chips or chocolate when I'm stressed or overly anxious, but I'm learning not to. Now I will go for a walk, or do some yoga or even just cuddle with one of my cats. If I'm "snacky" feeling, I will have some water first. If I still want a snack, I wait a bit and decide what I really want. I am feeling good that so far most of the keto friendly stuff is food I really like. And I will add carbs back in, slowly. I've been trying to give my insides a bit of a break, when I eat a "normal" diet I end up with issues.

Great idea for a thread. I am definitely needing this. I'm getting married at Disney in December and I'm really needing to do the thing most brides do and lose some weight. I was really diligent a few years back and lost 30 pounds but put it back on and then some. So I'm trying to do this in a healthy way and not kill myself starving. If I can get about 5 pounds a month off I can still lose about 40 pounds. I'd be happy with that 30 again though and if I lose no weight but increase my cardio for walking EPCOT I'll be happy to consider that a win haha

Busy week for me.
Resized_image000000004.jpeg

Here is a quick gift I put together for a co worker (teacher) that is leaving for Maternity leave in a week and a half.
The grade 3's asked me to build a baby cake tower.
Thank goodness Rexall and Sobeys had a great deal on Pampers this week.

Hugs Mel

It's interesting, there are some food that perhaps I don't think are worth it any more. Pasta is one example. I love sauces, marinara, bolognaise, alfredo mmm but the pasta is just a vessel to let me eat that stuff so I'd rather have it on zucchini or whatever the case may be. Now chips, oh I do love those, and know I can't control myself around them so have to be strict on buying them. I do still get them for kiddo but hide them from myself so I don't eat them all at once. Maybe some day I will be able to stop but for now? Not the case :)
I have always been one to reach for chips or chocolate when I'm stressed or overly anxious, but I'm learning not to. Now I will go for a walk, or do some yoga or even just cuddle with one of my cats. If I'm "snacky" feeling, I will have some water first. If I still want a snack, I wait a bit and decide what I really want. I am feeling good that so far most of the keto friendly stuff is food I really like. And I will add carbs back in, slowly. I've been trying to give my insides a bit of a break, when I eat a "normal" diet I end up with issues.

My middle son bakes when he is bored ,,,, lord save me during a Pandemic ..... he drives me nuts at 10pm when the fresh smell of baked cookies, brownies, and muffins wafts into my bedroom.....nope I can not eat them,,, way to high a content of Fat for my stomach to handle. I swear I love him but he is driving me crazy.
Water is my go to drink when I feel a bit of craving for a snack happening.
My go to snack is 1 Werther's candy. lol I know weird eh?

Hugs
Mel

Great idea for a thread. I am definitely needing this. I'm getting married at Disney in December and I'm really needing to do the thing most brides do and lose some weight. I was really diligent a few years back and lost 30 pounds but put it back on and then some. So I'm trying to do this in a healthy way and not kill myself starving. If I can get about 5 pounds a month off I can still lose about 40 pounds. I'd be happy with that 30 again though and if I lose no weight but increase my cardio for walking EPCOT I'll be happy to consider that a win haha
Welcome to the group Hon.
A Disney wedding is so special!
Baby steps and you will get there.
Congratulations Hon
1648086423456.png

Hugs
Mel

Can I just say...I already want to plan another trip!!!! And we have only been home less than 4 weeks already.

We had soooo much fun, and my little plan worked about dh needing to experience how amazing the parks are to want to do one more family trip before the boys have flown the coop. We got off our first ride - Transformers - and he said we need to bring the boys here, and proceeded to call them that night to start saving their money ( they have healthier bank accounts than us as they still live at home paying minimal bills and rent) so that they can help pay for their tickets into the parks :lmao:

I see the Universal has a decent deal going on right now. Their Canadian Resident deal plus the park tickets of buy 3 get 2 days free is a great deal. I'm trying to decide if I should tentively book and cancel if we decide to not go. Who knows what the world will be like by the end of the year (when we would travel again) . Plus we might have a destination wedding to go to. I/We have a feeling bil will be doing that and having a little civil ceremony so her family in NFL (mainly her dad) would be able to celebrate with them. She is not one to put alot of planning and is is very unsure of what she actually wants to do. OR we will be travelling to NFL for a wedding next year.

But I'm already planning, gathering more information, watching apps for wait times etc etc etc. It will help pass the time while I wait for spring to arrive in northern Alberta and the snow to melt and see green grass again!

I get what you mean about feeling the need to plan for another trip.
I can't wait to get back to see Harry Potter.
And a new movie is coming out soon

You are invited back to the magic. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets Of Dumbledore is in theaters April 15, 2022.

We are going to Niagara Falls for Easter this year. 2 nights
Beautiful little Inn with afternoon Tea!... and scones & sandwiches and trifle!!!
I am trying to take baby steps to the build up to future travel in Orlando and Universal is where I am going.

So my brother was unable to find the gift card receipt from the $50 Gas Gift Card he gave me last June ,,,yeah I know I shouldn't have waited to use it. But I wasn't traveling much at the time and just put it away.
I did have the activation slip.
Long story short Gift Card has no money on it,,,I was robbed the day after it was activated somewhere in Barrie Ontario.
Of course I have tried communicating with Petro Canada and Shoppers and it's a no go. Ok consumer beware time for me.
I usually pick up gift cards all year for my 3 sons and stock pile them. Now unless I can get the Gift Card directly from the store sponsor I won't be buying any.

Then this lead me to thinking (worrying about retirement & financing) of Christmas.....Yes I know Christmas is 9 months away you say.
But Christmas is my Happy Holiday Time.
So I set a budget and then ordered a bunch of my Favorite Christmas card designs ,,they are getting Cash this year.
1648165869945.png
1648166123812.png
1648166376620.png
1648166558591.png

Well Mr Tax man has been good to me this year and I just finished my Christmas shopping for 2022...I know crazy eh?
All funds moved to the "Christmas Time Fund" at the bank.

Now to think about the Grand daughter who is graduating grade 12 this year???
Hmmmm,,,,I have no idea what to get her. Anyone have some ideas?

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Depends how much you want to spend. My parents always gave me a piece of jewellery for special occasions. I treated myself to some precious stone earings on milestone dates (emerald for my birth month, sapphire for finishing university and diamond when I got my designation). One earing per event. I wear them everyday.

I got a sapphire on a necklace for a gift for my designation, a pinky ring for turning 16. Something for every budget.

I went for a shop in a Mall,,, yeah I know an actual Mall.
Shocked myself!
Ok I did insist on people keeping their distance and they did!
So you think my T shirt had anything to do with it? lol

I went into 4 Jewelry stores,,
I found the perfect Blue Sapphire Diamond ring for my grand daughter's grade 12 graduation.
IMG_20220325_132903.jpg

Very happy
Hugs
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter