DAS at reopening?

Silver saucer

DIS Veteran
Hi, just wondering if at reopening DAS will be up and running? Or will they just open without initially and then restart the program within a few weeks of opening?
I know it's all conjecture at this point but Im just trying to be prepared. :thumbsup2

I would guess the DAS will be in use when the parks reopen. I have a two week trip in September book for on site whether or not I go is still up in the air. But I use the DAS for lines with waiting’s Over 15/20 minutes. I just can not see them not having help for people with disabilities

Since Disney got rid of Fastpass so that they could use the Fastpass line to increase area for social distancing....I doubt the line will be available for DAS guests only.

I do not think this is why they got ride of FP

They explicitly state that is the reason, along with managing capacity:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/05/an-update-on-walt-disney-world-resort-reservations/
" FastPass+ and Extra Magic Hours: As a result of the COVID-19 impact, the FastPass+ service will be suspended for the time being as we plan to use additional queue space to manage capacity at our attractions and maintain physical distancing. We will automatically cancel existing FastPass+ selections and share any future updates on the service at a later date. Also, please note that upon reopening, Extra Magic Hours will be temporarily suspended. "

Since the DAS is, essentially, a virtual queue and everyone will now be using a virtual queue, I could see the system possibly being halted for now. Or, maybe, something like Resistance where, with a DAS, you join the virtual queue as normal, but have a shorter line once your time is called (not sure of the logistics since the FP lines are being used, but, maybe (where possible) entering through the exit?). Or, they are trying to keep the actual wait in a physical line to less than 20 minutes for everyone (so, feel that they can avoid the need for DAS - not that they are doing it to avoid using the DAS, just that it isn't needed because of the system).

Definitely something to keep an eye on.

I think their hope is the virtual queue is giving everyone a DAS. When your time is called the wait would be 15 to 20 minutes. And that 20 minute line would be spaced out so those that have trouble with crowds would be ok.

I actually emailed Disney disability services directly and this was their reply:

'We appreciate the opportunity to review your inquiry. As of now, The process for Guests utilizing Disability Access Service (DAS) will not change. You will go to the Attraction and receive a return time, same as always. You will then be directed to an alternate entrance upon returning to the Attraction to ride it.'

So it looks like DAS will work as it always did and since they got rid of the fastpass lines, they will use an alternate entrance

Universal is using virtual queues for many of its rides this week, but time slots are gone for the whole day within minutes. Their disability pass is working as normal though, you can still get a return time for any ride then you go through the Express line. Express in general is still available for hotel guests currently at Royal Pacific and Hard Rock (Portafino is still closed).

I actually emailed Disney disability services directly and this was their reply:

'We appreciate the opportunity to review your inquiry. As of now, The process for Guests utilizing Disability Access Service (DAS) will not change. You will go to the Attraction and receive a return time, same as always. You will then be directed to an alternate entrance upon returning to the Attraction to ride it.'

So it looks like DAS will work as it always did and since they got rid of the fastpass lines, they will use an alternate entrance

And with the wait times being so short due to the reduced capacity, they'll skip giving out the return times, send people to the front of the line via the exits, and voila! we'll have GAC all over again. Then when things get back to normal, we'll be going through the whole "but I need immediate access" stuff all over again.

And with the wait times being so short due to the reduced capacity, they'll skip giving out the return times, send people to the front of the line via the exits, and voila! we'll have GAC all over again. Then when things get back to normal, we'll be going through the whole "but I need immediate access" stuff all over again.

They’re going to have to factor in the ”virtual” wait time into the return time. Otherwise, it’s a massive advantage (especially if there are limited slots and people are restricted in the number of rides that they can go on). Our trip isn’t right away, so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

They’re going to have to factor in the ”virtual” wait time into the return time. Otherwise, it’s a massive advantage (especially if there are limited slots and people are restricted in the number of rides that they can go on). Our trip isn’t right away, so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Seeing the numbers out of the socially distanced Shanghai DL park lately I'm not so sure. Plenty of rides had times over an hour. One option would be to limit DAS to just the E-ticket rides.

Seeing the numbers out of the socially distanced Shanghai DL park lately I'm not so sure. Plenty of rides had times over an hour. One option would be to limit DAS to just the E-ticket rides.

But wouldn't those be the attractions limited in access for everyone in the park? Wouldn't allowing DAS users to have access to an already limited number of spots be just like the GAC problem?

Last edited:
I don’t think lines are going to be as short as people hope. Any theater attraction will be shut, and they are crowd-eaters. Rode vehicles may use only half the capacity. Stores and restaurants will have limited capacity. So even with reduced park attendance there won’t be much to do but stand in line. I think there will still be a DAS, but still using the wait time model and then you go in the exit.
So then the question is, what do you do while you wait?

Universal had long lines today. Not a lot of Social Distancing but lots of masks
4CCCD9A1-0D40-4DB5-9E17-B15144FE0B19.png65AF1159-D943-4EE9-8B24-4E8E827577C3.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter