Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
But maybe if they only opened up one Mod or something. I know my mom has also said she want to visit if they open hotels only. And my aunts are DVC members and have never even been to the parks.
This is interesting. I agree that the dynamics of WDW are not conducive to them opening up the most resorts without the parks. I’d have to think if they were to open a few hotels beforehand, they’d go for the Deluxes. I foresee a scenario where they want to get the DVCs up and running as soon as possible, and as a result, they might then open up the cash resorts to which most of the DVC resorts are attached. In the case of DVC resorts like the Polynesian Villas, the check-in facilities are exclusively available in the Great Ceremonial House, so you’d have to open up those facilities as well. At that point, just make “regular” rooms available as well. I’m sure they’ll open some resorts before a park to “ramp up” operations and iron out any sort of kinks in the new protocols, and as we get super close to a park opening, they might open up one moderate and one value and try to consolidate whatever existing reservations they can at the other moderate and values into those hotels. They’d then workout from there in phases to resume all resort operations at some point. That’s just my guess.

My friend made sent me several washable masks that have a soft, thick cotton underside and a tightly woven material on the outside (two layered). I wear them around my neighborhood during my walk. Yesterday was very warm/hot in MD and it was not unbearable to wear the mask. The mask has a little space/pocket where it fits over my nose/mouth (so it's not right up against my mouth) and the thick cotton is actually absorbing to the sweat (and I usually sweat under my sunglasses in the heat). I also tie elastic string to the ear loops and wear it around my head so it doesn't hurt my ears. I can easily wear it around my neck when I go out and pick it up when I need to put it on. So, my point is that if you need to wear a mask, it might not be too bad. Hot is hot in FL and a mask on your face is not going to be that much warmer - it might actually be absorbant and offer that benefit. :)

So what I’d foresee would look something like this

Pre-Park Opening (in phases, not in any particular order; maybe two weeks before a park opening)
  • GF/GFV
  • Poly/Villas
  • Contemporary
  • WL/CCV/BRV
  • BC/BCV
  • BW/BWV
  • AKL (Jambi + Kidani)
  • SSR
  • OKW
  • Riviera
Right before park opening (only few nights before)
  • Port Orleans Riverside (largest moderate resort)
  • Pop (largest value resort
After park opening (in phases, could be a while)
  • YC
  • AoA
  • All Stars (Sports, Movies, Music)
  • CSR
  • CBR (closed after 9/11 for a bit so it might be a candidate for an extended closure if things don’t bounceback)
  • POFQ (closed after 9/11 for a bit so it might be a candidate for an extended closure if things don’t bounceback)
No idea where FW fits into this (it may be the very first to open lol), but this is just my guess.

My friend made sent me several washable masks that have a soft, thick cotton underside and a tightly woven material on the outside (two layered). I wear them around my neighborhood during my walk. Yesterday was very warm/hot in MD and it was not unbearable to wear the mask. The mask has a little space/pocket where it fits over my nose/mouth (so it's not right up against my mouth) and the thick cotton is actually absorbing to the sweat (and I usually sweat under my sunglasses in the heat). I also tie elastic string to the ear loops and wear it around my head so it doesn't hurt my ears. I can easily wear it around my neck when I go out and pick it up when I need to put it on. So, my point is that if you need to wear a mask, it might not be too bad. Hot is hot in FL and a mask on your face is not going to be that much warmer - it might actually be absorbant and offer that benefit. :)

It was nice and warm up here in MD yesterday, as well as today. Fortunately, in my neighborhood, one can walk and keep their distance w/o the need of a mask.

But hopefully this now settles the debate for the time being: makes for all ages 3 and over. Those that don’t want to wear one shouldn’t go or plan on going for the time being.
Zero Chance WDW will require guests to wear masks as a regular requirement. Requiring customers to wear masks will soon be optional. The free market dictates what companies do and WDW (and most large companies) can not survive at 60-70% capacity. Once they open up all the parks without capacity limits (which they will soon have to do) they won't dare confront the thousands of patrons who choose not to wear a mask. Do you really believe they will confront physically paying customers and "throw" them out? That won't go over to well on You Tube and Facebook live video streams. Masks will be optional before the end of this year. Book it.

It was nice and warm up here in MD yesterday, as well as today. Fortunately, in my neighborhood, one can walk and keep their distance w/o the need of a mask.
Actually, I don't need to wear a mask in my neighborhood (in MD), either, as there's very few houses/people and each has acreage, but I wear one just in case there are other people out and about (neighbors, lawn people, trash collectors, etc) just to be on the safe side, even though we are further apart than 6 feet. If no one else is out, it's around my neck, but yesterday I was trying to see how it would feel if I had to wear it walking around Disney. :) I do have one or two neighbors who wear them during their walk. We all try to keep our distance on the street. I think the mask is the added protection in addition to being 6' apart.

Zero Chance WDW will require guests to wear masks as a regular requirement. Requiring customers to wear masks will soon be optional. The free market dictates what companies do and WDW (and most large companies) can not survive at 60-70% capacity. Once they open up all the parks without capacity limits (which they will soon have to do) they won't dare confront the thousands of patrons who choose not to wear a mask. Do you really believe they will confront physically paying customers and "throw" them out? That won't go over to well on You Tube and Facebook live video streams. Masks will be optional before the end of this year. Book it.
Nobody, including myself, is suggesting masks will be a requirement into perpetuity at WDW. But given that I couldn't tell you at this point when the parks are even going to be open (my guesses have been wrong for the most part), I have absolutely no idea when we'd see any sort of relaxing of those restrictions. I couldn't even speculate, because I genuinely have no idea. As a result, I personally imagine a mask being required during any future trips I have planed until we hear otherwise. That is all I'm going to say on this, because quite frankly (and I think I'm not alone), I'm sick of the M word.

For those looking to debate masks and how long they'll be required, it looks like there's a lovely thread in the Community Board for that.

A lot shorter no doubt. But this is undeniably one of the most important topics with Disney patrons perhaps ever. Its a topic that rocks our culture to the core.

A lot shorter no doubt. But this is undeniably one of the most important topics with Disney patrons perhaps ever. Its a topic that rocks our culture to the core.
One of the things that makes WDW special is the atmosphere and "family" feel (at least for me and my family it is). Anything that takes away from that would be disappointing. Many of the rides at MK are not the up to date thrill rides may other amusements parks have, yet the whole experience far out does those other parks. Requiring their customers to adhere to a policy that in essence is just to make people "feel safe" (unless everyone wears a N-95 respirator mask the actual scientific benefit is marginal at best) would take away from what they have always stood for. Masks would undoubtedly take away from the experience and would cost WDW customers and revenue.

One of the things that makes WDW special is the atmosphere and "family" feel (at least for me and my family it is). Anything that takes away from that would be disappointing. Many of the rides at MK are not the up to date thrill rides may other amusements parks have, yet the whole experience far out does those other parks. Requiring their customers to adhere to a policy that in essence is just to make people "feel safe" (unless everyone wears a N-95 respirator mask the actual scientific benefit is marginal at best) would take away from what they have always stood for. Masks would undoubtedly take away from the experience and would cost WDW customers and revenue.
And how much revenue would it cost WDW to open without any mitigation and have a possible outbreak that would make them close again? I think WDW knows what it is doing with its business and makes these decisions accordingly.

And just a few days ago, people were GUARANTEEING WDW wouldn't make masks mandatory because this is America and they are paying customers. Now it is they won't do it for long, it's awesome when you can just move the goal posts until you get it right. Love the internet.
Never heard/read me saying that. However, you are hearing/seeing me say it won't last. Book it. Money dictates and WDW will follow the money and even if you had only 20% of capacity not wearing masks at parks in any given day they would never be able or willing, to Force the paying customers to wear a mask or get thrown out. Picture thousands of customers being led out via handcuffs for not wearing a mask. Get the visual?............................................Not going to last. Screen shot it just so you remember you heard it here from me.

Last edited:
I don’t see exceptions for special needs in there either. I wonder if that’s just something they’ll do as guests inquire? If they advertised it as policy, we all know what would happen. I’ve always thought they would surely make those exceptions, but they aren’t saying they will. Not looking for a debate on whether they should or not..
A viewer posted a question to a CNN medical commentator, sorry I don't remember the name or position. The viewer has COPD and has trouble breathing through a mask. The recommendation is people who have severe enough COPD, and severe asthma, should probably stay home as much as possible.

Disney may, or might not, make some exceptions.

And how much revenue would it cost WDW to open without any mitigation and have a possible outbreak that would make them close again? I think WDW knows what it is doing with its business and makes these decisions accordingly.
Given best available medical advice Disney's options were to require masks or ensure 100% enforcement of social distancing. That suggests most indoor attractions would have to either close or run at such low capacity as to be not financially doable. Every third row filled on Small World.

edited to add I think Disney is going to want to open ASAP. Some posters seem to think Disney will be phasing in park openings, CM day followeed by FL resident day, AP holders, DVC members etc. I might see a one day preview, maybe for CM. I still think the resorts might wind up opening for DVC point reservations days, maybe a week before the resorts open to cash customers. Maybe before the parks open. I can envision some advance preview openings for those guests.

Do we know how many of the plexiglass shields have already been installed in the parks? How many days it will take to install the shields and sanitizer dispensers? I'm assuming Disney can get this done in days but...

Last edited:
I don’t see exceptions for special needs in there either. I wonder if that’s just something they’ll do as guests inquire? If they advertised it as policy, we all know what would happen. I’ve always thought they would surely make those exceptions, but they aren’t saying they will. Not looking for a debate on whether they should or not..

I'm a little surprised that Disney didn't address that issue, since they are more than aware of their large numbers with special needs.

People that this might pertain to, could read some of the articles on the National Law Review for some guidance.

https://www.natlawreview.com/nlr-le...asks#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=ADA and masks&gsc.page=1

A viewer posted a question to a CNN medical commentator, sorry I don't remember the name or position. The viewer has COPD and has trouble breathing through a mask. The recommendation is people who have severe enough COPD, and severe asthma, should probably stay home as much as possible.

If you have COPD and go to WDW right now, that’s your choice. You’re choosing to do something which carries a higher risk of infection than staying home. If you accept the risk, that’s fine by me as it’s a free country. If not, then don’t go. No exceptions should be made on who has to wear a mask IMO because your condition doesn’t make you less likely to be a spreader of the virus than me ESPECIALLY in the early days of the illness. In fact, someone who is accustomed to coughing more than most, like someone with COPD, may not think anything of his/her cough at the beginning. I think it really needs to be an all or nothing situation. Everyone wears a mask or else they’re optional for everyone. Making exceptions for this will just lead us down a similar rabbit hole of “emotional support animals”. 🙄 Disney said masks are required. If you can’t or don’t want to wear one, then don’t go. BTW, I don’t know if I’ll go with the mask requirement even though I can wear one. That’s my choice. If others see no issues, and they agree to wear one, that’s their choice. Should I have an exception made for me because I’m claustrophobic but healthy in every way? I don’t think so.

This has been covered. If Disney fails to make exceptions for disabilities they will be sued. By every person with a disability they refuse to accommodate. ADA doesn’t stop being in effect just because there is a pandemic. (They aren’t advertising exceptions because some people would get the idea to use that as an excuse simply from that.)

The ACTUAL CDC guidelines say don’t wear a mask if it will put your health at risk.

This has been covered. If Disney fails to make exceptions for disabilities they will be sued. By every person with a disability they refuse to accommodate, ADA doesn’t stop being in effect just because there is a pandemic. (They aren’t advertising exceptions because some people would get the idea to use that as an excuse simply from that.)

That's not quite correct. Here's one article for you to read on the National Law Review. There are others that I posted a link to on post #11,745.

https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...s-business-owners-requiring-face-masks-retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter