Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have read/heard many testimonies, from posters here and various bloggers/YouTubers, that many cast members engage the conversation and show their appreciation for their job since the reopening of WDW.

Last night, during a live stream of “Cory Meets World,” a such testimony from a Grand Floridian cast member incidentally happened. It was vibrant and seemed so authentic, I recommend every one to listen at (go to 3:35:15 for the start, and more specifically to 3:36:28):

No I wouldn't bring them into the parks to stand around. I understand the laying off if 28,000 CM's. I agree with Pete when he says the laying off of all the equity performers wasn't needed. I take it you haven't seen videos of what Dollywood or other parks have done. You can easily have entertainment in this current climate. They could have taken some of them and put them where the orchestra was and put on a Christmas performance.

No one went to see the Orchestra when they were in the amphitheater, so I doubt it would be much more of a people eater if you put on Christmas performances.

Things like Finding Nemo, FotLK, Hoop-De-Doo will be back but these are also unionized workers, and Disney hasn’t seemed keen on the idea of face performers wearing masks, and in the agreement they had with the equity union, masks were a requirement. Disney isn’t Dollywood. They actually play by the health safety rules

All I'm saying they could have easily kept the majority of the equity actors and brought in more entertainment. They didn't need to cut this much is all I'm saying. Its frustrating to see so many defend almost everything Disney does.

You realize there are employees and executives/family members that contribute here right?

No one went to see the Orchestra when they were in the amphitheater, so I doubt it would be much more of a people eater if you put on Christmas performances.

Things like Finding Nemo, FotLK, Hoop-De-Doo will be back but these are also unionized workers, and Disney hasn’t seemed keen on the idea of face performers wearing masks, and in the agreement they had with the equity union, masks were a requirement. Disney isn’t Dollywood. They actually play by the health safety rules

I can make anything unappealing to guests if my ultimate goal is to get rid of it.

The bottom line is the ceo cares more about the bottom line than he does about the people who helped him get where he is.

34% with most likely not coming back is insane. The corporate talk of entertainment will be back.... with no details...is the feel good twisting.

Are other businesses cutting? Yes....do other businesses have billions in cash lying around? No.
Oof. You’re debating the merits of who is more important: employees or shareholders and that’s not what we’re about here unless I missed a memo.

The safety issue during shows is a moot point once frozen sing along opened. They are union equity cm. The cutting off all the shows is a money saving issue, nothing more.
CM for FotLK, FNtM and B&B had started re blocking the shows to adhere to social distance, and having these shows back would definitely help the crowds issue.
The laying off and subsequent telliing them to gather their belongings from their dressing rooms came as a complete shock

Last edited:
The filing isn't really clear on Disney's motivation for a RIF. They just have to telegraph their plans consistently in their filings. They are clear that it's 4000 additional to the 28k. Not clear that layoffs are not also amongst the furloughed.

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archive...1003.htm#i6261866521954ef19f64de03269f40a7_40
Search the document for covid.

Not an earth shattering difference, I think sensationalized online.

Like I said earlier. Whats really telling is how other parks have entertainment offerings but yet Disney can't. That is what I really don't understand.

I thought part of it was a union issue in that the CMs who perform in shows are members of a different union
The bottom line is the ceo cares more about the bottom line than he does about the people who helped him get where he is.

34% with most likely not coming back is insane. The corporate talk of entertainment will be back.... with no details...is the feel good twisting.

Are other businesses cutting? Yes....do other businesses have billions in cash lying around? No.

I mean this is part of a much larger conversation about what stakeholders in the company should be considered, and to the extent Disney is using cash on hand for shareholder dividends/stock buybacks/exec comp, that is grounds for massive criticism and a bigger rethink about who corporations owe duties to (hint, not just shareholders).

At the same time, the refusal to bring back entertainment isn’t some major cost cutting effort/even a significant factor in the amount of employees being laid off. The fact is that an entire park remains closed indefinitely and the other still has significant capacity restrictions. Although I’m sure cost plays a factor, Disney isn’t bringing back entertainment (especially indoor entertainment) as a safety measure more than anything else.

Oof. You’re debating the merits of who is more important: employees or shareholders and that’s not what we’re about here unless I missed a memo.

There is no debate, its cut and dry. This is a multi billion dollar company whose ceo makes millions of dollars. This is not a company on the verge of insolvency. If you dont want to take care of the employees then dont ever ask for tax breaks or funds and return those provided over the years. Also stop the pr rhetoric that you are all about hour employees best interest.

There is no debate, its cut and dry. This is a multi billion dollar company whose ceo makes millions of dollars. This is not a company on the verge of insolvency. If you dont want to take care of the employees then dont ever ask for tax breaks or funds and return those provided over the years. Also stop the pr rhetoric that you are all about hour employees best interest.
Poorly run companies fail when they begin to focus all priority on shareholders vs stakeholders. Shareholders can sell that share anytime they like and don't have to be in it for the longhaul. Stakeholders such as employees and the public are more interested in the longhaul. A CEO and its board has a responsibility to both and sometimes a shareholder can be a stakeholder as well. A good CEO balances this well, is longterm and understands what keeps a company healthy so that what got them there continues. I can't imagine any other company where this is more important. Walt once stated if you lose the customer it will cost ten times to get them back. As a matter of fact a quick check brought up dozens of lists of Walt's top 50 or 100 quotes... all gems. I doubt we've had a CEO since that could pull together 5 worth remembering.

Well, I've skipped reading the last few pages bc we're in MK right now. Arrived at the park ~12:30, it's currently 5:38, and so far we've ridden Splash, Pirates, BTMRR, ate at Pinocchio, Carousel, 7DMT, HM, COP, and about to get on Space.

ETA: Space listed as a 55 min wait. Actual was 22 to loading.

ETA2: Buzz x3. It's 6:40 pm.

Last edited:
Pics of the "choke point" from fantasyland going toward LS today at 4:02 pm. You can see it's somewhat crowded but we were able to distance fairly well (for our comfort).

Attachments

• B6C3701B-48EC-435D-8F8D-F4CDA4682564.jpeg
    B6C3701B-48EC-435D-8F8D-F4CDA4682564.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 68AFFF9B-3B06-43E4-B245-B768630B1E4D.jpeg
    68AFFF9B-3B06-43E4-B245-B768630B1E4D.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 3D1CBF5D-6ECF-419C-A3CB-4340552C603C.jpeg
    3D1CBF5D-6ECF-419C-A3CB-4340552C603C.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 53
  • C6E320C9-EFDC-4E4D-96B1-C1428665D2F4.jpeg
    C6E320C9-EFDC-4E4D-96B1-C1428665D2F4.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 55
  • B1AB5187-B9F2-4FE9-B342-A8220E61509A.jpeg
    B1AB5187-B9F2-4FE9-B342-A8220E61509A.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 6348E490-4E2B-4A6B-BB85-415B77241318.jpeg
    6348E490-4E2B-4A6B-BB85-415B77241318.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 47
  • D88FD3D9-488E-460F-9FC3-3D572A9EF0F8.jpeg
    D88FD3D9-488E-460F-9FC3-3D572A9EF0F8.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 68A6985E-62C8-49EC-B87C-03A5E54F89BA.jpeg
    68A6985E-62C8-49EC-B87C-03A5E54F89BA.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 8F5F55A1-ACFE-4DCA-9019-DF557C1B89CD.jpeg
    8F5F55A1-ACFE-4DCA-9019-DF557C1B89CD.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 50
  • 5BB7B96E-8FB2-4CAE-B8F1-C38C5D72BA25.jpeg
    5BB7B96E-8FB2-4CAE-B8F1-C38C5D72BA25.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 46
The safety issue during shows is a moot point once frozen sing along opened. They are union equity cm. The cutting off all the shows is a money saving issue, nothing more.
CM for FotLK, FNtM and B&B had started re blocking the shows to adhere to social distance, and having these shows back would definitely help the crowds issue.
The laying off and subsequent telliing them to gather their belongings from their dressing rooms came as a complete shock

Isn’t Frozen Sing Along pretty different though in that it’s just 2 performers on opposite sides of the stage for 90% of the show? The others would be much more complicated to distance, right?

Pics of the "choke point" from fantasyland going toward LS today at 4:02 pm. You can see it's somewhat crowded but we were able to distance fairly well (for our comfort).

Thank you for these pictures. I've been wondering what people have been so concerned with in this area lately, and for a holiday this doesn't look concerning to me at all. I appreciate real pictures vs. perspective.

Wish it’d been like that two weeks ago. It was dangerously crowded in that chokepoint- impossible to distance. Was that way at several locations throughout the day.

We fly in tomorrow. Did I read it correctly earlier in this thread that they are routinely letting people in a hour in advance of official park opening?

Anyone who has stayed recently, have they brought back Resort Delivery for items bought in the park? Last I can find was during the original reopening that it wasn't available.

We fly in tomorrow. Did I read it correctly earlier in this thread that they are routinely letting people in a hour in advance of official park opening?
Yes but this was something that happened even in pre-covid times. Its not necessarily an hour in advance but I was inside DHS at 9:15 for a 10AM opening and inside AK at 7:25 for a 8AM opening. I rode attractions at both parks before official opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter