• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am I reading it right that it would be an additional 4,000 jobs? While sad, to me that doesn’t seem like that much, especially if they’re accounting for DLRs remained closure and not being overly optimistic of when they will reopen. Any and all job loss is too many, but if they’re confident that the bleeding is starting to slow enough that “only” another 4,000 jobs will be lost through March (I believe that’s when Q2 ends?) while Disneyland’s parks are closed, and DLP, idk it doesn’t seem as bad as it could have been.

Am I reading it right that it would be an additional 4,000 jobs? While sad, to me that doesn’t seem like that much, especially if they’re accounting for DLRs remained closure and not being overly optimistic of when they will reopen. Any and all job loss is too many, but if they’re confident that the bleeding is starting to slow enough that “only” another 4,000 jobs will be lost through March (I believe that’s when Q2 ends?) while Disneyland’s parks are closed, and DLP, idk it doesn’t seem as bad as it could have been.
Yes but its worth noting here that this is all of TWDC. So any layoffs from ESPN, Burbank, ABC, etc. would be included here. So not necessarily an additional 4000 from parks and resorts. I do know ESPN had some layoffs.

I wonder if any of the March projection hinges on the CDC March projection of vaccine distribution to gen population? A March start that is. Doubtful but they must be factoring that in to some degree.

The numbers look pretty bad this week on MDE. We’re worried about waits w/out any FP. We’ve never been at Christmas bc of the crowds and we thought this year would be our shot to do it. Crowds and waits look worse than we expected. Just starting to weigh how enjoyable it’ll be. 😔
I get the hesitation. I loved my trip mid-Nov but wouldn’t want to touch a trip this week with a 10 ft pole after reports. Safari line in the theater? Hell no.

I’m driving back right now & it was that bad. The wait times & crowds weren’t as bad as previous thanksgiving weeks but with the masks & restrictions & so much missing, I’m not sure it’s worth it for us anymore right now. We went the first week it opened back up in July & it was amazing. Then we went in Oct & it was not as good as as July but still good. I had planned to go back in Jan, but I don’t think we will go back until crowds are reduced or attractions/dining are added back.
We were there the 12th thru the 16th and it was manageable. We did 5 days at Universal, and then came back the 21st thru the 24th, and found it to be pretty unpleasant everywhere we went. We're still keeping our January trip, but I really do think that the crowds will be closer to what the October levels were when we're there. I agree that the reduced attractions/dining is getting old. We're coming for the last 10 days of our annual passes, but we aren't renewing until a lot more things come back. We're getting a really good deal at Pop and I have Disney Rewards $$$ to use, or I probably wouldn't be staying as long in January. It's been a nice respite over the past few months; basically the only place that we've dined out or spent extended periods of time in public outside of our community, but it's time to wait for something new now.

I wonder if any of the March projection hinges on the CDC March projection of vaccine distribution to gen population? A March start that is. Doubtful but they must be factoring that in to some degree.
I doubt it in this report. The March date is simply the end of Q2 in Disney’s fiscal year 2021, so the halfway point. I don’t think this announcement has anything to do with the vaccine, more so just an update as to where they will stand at the halfway point of fiscal year 2021.

I doubt it in this report. The March date is simply the end of Q2 in Disney’s fiscal year 2021, so the halfway point. I don’t think this announcement has anything to do with the vaccine, more so just an update as to where they will stand at the halfway point of fiscal year 2021.
Yeah. Didn't think it was really a factor. Not firm enough on the roll out to plan around. Just heard a few March dates back to back yesterday. Grasping for straws.

Second week of March begins spring break season. It will be a crapshoot but will likely be better than Christmas unless they raise capacity again between Christmas and spring break then all bets are off.

That said all the school band trips to Disneyworld generally fall in March so those crowds won’t be there this year.
Also, considering the border will most likely remain closed, a lot of Canadians normally travel to WDW in March and this likely won't be happening in March 2021.

Clickbait headline if I ever saw one, could also say Disney cuts back 16% of their employees during pandemic. Many companies have done exactly the same if not much more. For Disney and the type of company it is all things considered that is pretty good and consistant in the industry.

Lol, what? You're happy with one representation of math but not another?

Also, did you read it? If you did, you would know that Disney is "cutting back" more than 16% of their employees

Clickbait headline if I ever saw one, could also say Disney cuts back 16% of their employees during pandemic. Many companies have done exactly the same if not much more. For Disney and the type of company it is all things considered that is pretty good and consistant in the industry.
It didn't have to be this bad. Other parks like Dollywood still has entertainment going.

There’s been a lot of clickbait-y headlines today regarding the layoff news. Some have made it sound like 32k additional CMs are getting laid off by March. Daily Mail has a misleading headline like that, but they normally do. Media outlets love to misrepresent any bad Disney news to make it even worse than it actually is. Yes the layoffs are awful, but it’s only 4K more by March, not 32k more.

There’s been a lot of clickbait-y headlines today regarding the layoff news. Some have made it sound like 32k additional CMs are getting laid off by March. Daily Mail has a misleading headline like that, but they normally do. Media outlets love to misrepresent any bad Disney news to make it even worse than it actually is. Yes the layoffs are awful, but it’s only 4K more by March, not 32k more.

Is the Blog Mickey article headline really "clickbait"? It's the most factually accurate that I've seen, even when compared to the Orlando Sentinel

“Only”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter