Considering a Christmas trip to WDW: anyone else?

Check and check. We aren't doing any table service meals and will wear masks diligently. And, we're all vaccinated, so I do think our risk is low.

It's not the Floridians I'm concerned about - their numbers are good - it's everyone else traveling in from areas of higher transmission. But, I'll also say my DS has had one school exposure and DD has had 3 since September - and they never contracted anything. So I do think the vaccine + mask protocol is working.

We are also a go. Most people think we're nuts but we're planning on being super careful, and of course have talked out various what if scenarios. One granddaughter will have had one dose, and the other two had covid months ago. Good luck to all of us!

We are also a go. Most people think we're nuts but we're planning on being super careful, and of course have talked out various what if scenarios. One granddaughter will have had one dose, and the other two had covid months ago. Good luck to all of us!
I know how you feel. I can’t get anyone I know to even go with me on a cross border shopping trip. They think I’m nuts. I just might go by myself

I know how you feel. I can’t get anyone I know to even go with me on a cross border shopping trip. They think I’m nuts. I just might go by myself
I’m actually very surprised right now, 3 of my colleagues are on vacation- one in Costa Rica, one in NYC and one in Dominican. Another one is heading to FL next week.

I’m happy to see people I know traveling again.
It must not be as many still, overall but it will probably pick up.

We're due to leave in three weeks and were planning to tell the kids the trip is a go tomorrow, but I think we might wait a few more days now, just to see. I don't really think it will impact things, but after so many disappointments over the past few years, I know nothing is a sure thing anymore.

I hit the cancel button on our Christmas flights a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't planned anything else and just felt it was too rushed to try and find somewhere to stay that was a decent price, figure out the new genie plus, worry about testing positive and having to quarantine, etc. The final deciding factor was seeing new years eve already blocked out. That's what I'd want to go for was fireworks at NYE so I'm not spending all that money not to see them!

We all decided as a family it wouldn't be the trip we wanted, not staying where we wanted or being able to do what we wanted, so we decided we'd rather have an amazing trip next Christmas than a mediocre one right now.

We're due to leave in three weeks and were planning to tell the kids the trip is a go tomorrow, but I think we might wait a few more days now, just to see. I don't really think it will impact things, but after so many disappointments over the past few years, I know nothing is a sure thing anymore.
I think that’s smart to wait to tell the kids. It might turn out that it won’t be anything that vaccinated people will need to worry about, but since this news is pretty fresh, it wouldn’t hurt to let the dust settle. It’s really been a topsy turvy world since March ‘20, hasn’t it? I will believe our trip is a go when we’ve actually arrived at the resort!

Will be in Orlando but going to go up to Bar Harbor over Christmas. Backwards I know. Want to do some hiking.

in Orlando now waiting for my wife who is currently freezing in Ontario lol.

Last edited:
We are going in 2 weeks. We were soooo excited that we would FINALLY be going back to WDW after many rebooked trips over the past 2 years. Yesterday my DH says, we might not be going if this new variant is as bad as they say. OH NO!!!!
I said... I'm GOING. Even if it's by myself. I'm fully vaxed. I will wear a KN95 mask everywhere, only eat outdoors, and bath in sanitizer constantly. It will be ok.
I need to get back to a new normal.
Wish me luck. I will report back how it all went.

We are going in 2 weeks. We were soooo excited that we would FINALLY be going back to WDW after many rebooked trips over the past 2 years. Yesterday my DH says, we might not be going if this new variant is as bad as they say. OH NO!!!!
I said... I'm GOING. Even if it's by myself. I'm fully vaxed. I will wear a KN95 mask everywhere, only eat outdoors, and bath in sanitizer constantly. It will be ok.
I need to get back to a new normal.
Wish me luck. I will report back how it all went.
Good for you. Don’t let what you are hearing on your news overly concern you.

I thought I'd come back and update: we are definitely going now, with flights and tickets purchased. A coworker of mine made a 10-day trip for race weekend earlier in the month - I just checked in with them and found out both their (too young to be vaccinated) kids came home with covid. :sad2: None of the (vaccinated) adults in their party got sick, and thankfully the kids' cases were mild. I'm a bit disconcerted to hear that, but we are far enough down the path now that we are still planning to proceed. I'm just not feeling quite as good about it anymore.

Captain
Did they say where they think the kids.? Did they eat indoors? Do you have any scoop..
We are still going . I’m triple big kid will be triple DD is doubled and littles will have one and maybe get their second there. We have been so careful . I’m keeping kiddos quiet until we leave we have one outing planned but they are remote learning , and I feel now we may never have this fully behind us, we can be careful wherever we are and we need this. We just had a case at work my PCR eas negative and my rapid tests have all been good so far but if I can get exposed at work and our hometown numbers are atrocious ..
We will try and stay outdoors . We will def not eat indoors and kn95 mask indoors and outdoors if crowded.
I guess I’m just done.

Captain
Did they say where they think the kids.? Did they eat indoors? Do you have any scoop..
We are still going . I’m triple big kid will be triple DD is doubled and littles will have one and maybe get their second there. We have been so careful . I’m keeping kiddos quiet until we leave we have one outing planned but they are remote learning , and I feel now we may never have this fully behind us, we can be careful wherever we are and we need this. We just had a case at work my PCR eas negative and my rapid tests have all been good so far but if I can get exposed at work and our hometown numbers are atrocious ..
We will try and stay outdoors . We will def not eat indoors and kn95 mask indoors and outdoors if crowded.
I guess I’m just done.

I kinda feel we have a small window here that we should take advantage of.

They did do indoor dining/shows/etc, and watched fireworks in crowded areas outdoors several times. I’m going to hope that the fact they did indoor stuff (which we will largely skip) and had such a long stay (we are doing just 4 park days) will make the difference for us. Plus, like I said, we’re vaccinated, though we aren’t eligible for boosters here yet. However I also haven’t found kn95 masks that everyone in my family likes; we‘ll be using regular 3 layer medical masks. Ugh, it’s all so much to think about. I do agree that this is a window of opportunity, even if imperfect, and we should take advantage of it.

We are also still going Dec 19-26. Flights purchased, Christmas party tickets purchased , candlelight processional dining package booked … coming up fast! We are excited as first time for the holidays.

So incredibly excited for you. First time!

I have been lucky enough to be there multiple times during the holidays. It is beyond magical.

Have a wonderful time. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter