Considering a Christmas trip to WDW: anyone else?

CaptainCook

Mouseketeer
We had a trip booked to WDW for Christmas 2020 that we deferred to this year. Up until recently, I’ve been thinking there’s no way we would make the trip. But now, with covid cases in Florida doing much better, I’m starting to think it might be possible. Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation?

We have two teenage kids and are fully vaccinated, no preexisting conditions. We would be travelling from December 19-23 (which we know will be busy). We’ve never done a Christmas trip to Disney before. We’re ok with wearing masks and sitting out some indoor shows/attractions/restaurants to avoid crowds, but would also want to make sure we see and do most of what’s new since our last trip in 2014 (e.g. Pandora, Star Wars etc.) We still aren’t out going to theatres/the gym/restaurants at home, but have flown domestically a couple of times since the pandemic began.

I really don’t know what we will decide. I’m watching reports from the 50th anniversary this weekend with interest.

Yes I'm treating my parents to a trip to Disney but we're going Dec 8th-14th because the crowds will be so low that week. We're really looking forward to it! I haven't read up on the 50th festivities yet but need to! Have a great trip!

Everyone has a different tolerance level for traveling during Covid.
I cancelled my Christmas trip but I am sure many are still going.

Dec is the busiest time of the year for Disney (entire month),,,lots of DVC members go the first half of the month.
No low levels at Walt Disney World anymore.
With the 50th celebration happening this year the crowds will be BIG.

I recently went back to work (school) and I am feeling on edge most days ,,hopefully the more I do it the more comfortable it will get.
It would help if the cases in our school were going down instead of up.
I would try doing some things you mentioned you have stopped doing and see how you feel.
Hopefully Florida rates stabilize soon and the medical facilities have a chance to re-fresh & re-group.(God Bless them).

I am planning a staycation at home this year and even that has me reading up on various Hotel/Restaurant /Entertainment Covid precautions.

Best Wishes to you and your family

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

We are going as a group of 7 adults dec 18-27. we know crowds will be crazy but all of us just want to get away from the Christmas stuff at home. All of us are double vaxed, we will wear masks and be as careful as we can. Have a 6 day park pass but don't expect to be in the parks all day!

We will be travelling to Disney, staying at the Coronado Springs from Dec 16-21, then to Royal Pacific at Universal from the 21-27. Our children are 10 and 7, so too young to be vaccinated, but me and hubby are. I try not to think about Covid related issues related to this trip, as things can change so quickly. For now, I am really excited to start all of the pre-planning!

We had a trip booked to WDW for Christmas 2020 that we deferred to this year. Up until recently, I’ve been thinking there’s no way we would make the trip. But now, with covid cases in Florida doing much better, I’m starting to think it might be possible. Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation?

We have two teenage kids and are fully vaccinated, no preexisting conditions. We would be travelling from December 19-23 (which we know will be busy). We’ve never done a Christmas trip to Disney before. We’re ok with wearing masks and sitting out some indoor shows/attractions/restaurants to avoid crowds, but would also want to make sure we see and do most of what’s new since our last trip in 2014 (e.g. Pandora, Star Wars etc.) We still aren’t out going to theatres/the gym/restaurants at home, but have flown domestically a couple of times since the pandemic began.

I really don’t know what we will decide. I’m watching reports from the 50th anniversary this weekend with interest.
We have a Disney world trip booked dates Dec 18-26 right now and would be traveling with DS12 who is vaccinated.
We originally had a trip scheduled for August 2021 but changed at the last minute to Disneyland California because of the rising cases in Florida at the time. Now it’s looking much better again and we are thinking of keeping our Christmas trip. We have never gone in December, let alone Christmas.
I would love to go earlier in the month to avoid huge crowds but not sure if we can make that happen. I don’t know what our plan will be yet, so much has changed since we last went (and that was in 2019!) but I think if we made a point to get up super early and do a few hours in the park before it gets crazy, then enjoy the resorts etc and maybe come back for the evening… maybe it will be ok? We would not go into any park on Christmas Day. Biggest detarrant for us at the moment is the lack of discounts. We have a moderate resort booked this time and it’s very expensive at rack rate.
So lots still up in the air , but yes hoping to join you and spend Christmas at Disney!

I moved our October bookings to December 16th

i read a discouraging article on CBC that our kids vaccine is possibly behind the US’s timeline so that stinks.

I will probably push it again to March but not rushing to cancel.

We've got a Dec. 1 trip booked. If covid positivity rates are similar to home, we'll go. Otherwise, everything we've booked is either refundable or you get a credit for a future trip.

We moved our September trip to mid December because of the sky rocketting cases in Florida at the time. We think it's 50/50 whether we go on the December trip right now.
Everyday we watch and reassess. We have our room booked on DVC points, so we have until 31 days before to cancel if it doesn't look good to go.
We all said the same things as OP said... no indoor shows or restaurants, stay outdoors and distanced from others while wearing a mask, sanitize hands regularly.
We also said we would spend more time at the resort, by the pool, playing games, etc. We just want to go somewhere. We haven't left Ontario since Jan 2020. Even if we treated it as a resort only vacation, we still might go.... like I said 50/50 at this point. We have two other reservations on the back burner right now too... Feb 2022 and Sept 2022. We will get there eventually.

I moved our October bookings to December 16th

i read a discouraging article on CBC that our kids vaccine is possibly behind the US’s timeline so that stinks.

I will probably push it again to March but not rushing to cancel.
If it helps provide some reassurance, Pfizer has submitted the vaccine data to the Canadian government.

I am glad they have submitted the information for approval, I think Canada will just have an issue getting vaccine since it is a different dosage than the adults and we can't make it. I do hope children can get vaccinated soon though, I know how relieved I was when my son could get his when Ontario changed their rules to be anyone on in 2009.

As for a Christmas trip, my mixed vaccine status has me concerned I won't be able to get there, and Ontario is leaving it to the feds, so I have booked a trip end of October and will get a dose of Pfizer while I am there, so then have no issues with future trips. I am still unsure of the decision so haven't booked my flights yet. Or my tickets. Just the hotel so far, which is refundable. We had planned to go in December, and I would rather go then, but I am not sure we will be able to go later. And I really want a trip, August 2019 was our last real vacation. I know vacations aren't essential but I feel like at what point will they be ok? We also don't live in an area currently with excessive cases, and it has a high vaccination rate. Our trip will be shorter than I would have liked, we will wear masks, wash hands, etc. I can't wait.

Not from Canada but I'm going the week of Dec. 12th solo. If it helps to reassure you, I was there in Sept. with my son, his SO and their 5 month old baby. I've been fully vaccinated but my son and his SO have not. Everyone came home healthy and happy. They only wore masks when required (and had no issue doing so). We only ate inside a few times, but just because we were focused on F&W booths and love the Nomad Lounge and HBD outside lounge. With the baby, it's a little harder to eat at a restaurant. We did eat at Fresh Med. Market at Dolphin and sat inside at the food court at the Land a couple of times to feed the baby and for them to ride Soarin (the baby and I sat in the food court). Both times in the food court we had our masks off. We also sat inside at Odyssey with wings and beers with masks off. I was there in April when masks were required at all times unless still and eating and drinking, even outside. I ate inside a few times then and came home healthy.

We have flights to Orlando booked Dec 20 to 29 staying offsite. If we go thinking of skipping parks and just have a resort vacation. 3 adults going.

We were book for the last two weeks of Dec with Christmas on DCL and second week at WDW to celebrate New Years.

I recently cancelled it and booked a cruise in March instead with a week at WDW.

Now I have 3 vacations with DCL(4 cruises) in 2022. Not complaining...just disappointed. We're still vacationing during the Christmas/NYs but not in Florida....we're planning the first of our alternative.

I'm not kidding myself, we still have a contingency plan to this contingency plan.

For those on the fence or against going right now - what would have to change in order to make you comfortable?

For those who are going - how do you feel about navigating the testing requirements? And if you haven’t already shared, are there any special precautions you plan to take?

For those on the fence or against going right now - what would have to change in order to make you comfortable?

For those who are going - how do you feel about navigating the testing requirements? And if you haven’t already shared, are there any special precautions you plan to take?

I'm going end of October, I see that rates in Florida are dropping so I feel better about that, and I'm also in an area that isn't having a huge surge (I think if I was in Alberta I'd be more reluctant to leave my house). The testing is a PITA, since are both vaccinated (thought not according to CDC guidelines) I feel pretty safe, we'll wear masks indoors and follow the rules about that, we'll wear them in crowded areas as well. Wash hands, use hand sanitizer. For testing, the cost for the Shoppers test here isn't too bad and we have already booked BeeperMD for the testing to return, since it's free and they come to the hotel, it should be convenient, though it does mean the middle of the day we'll be back at the hotel waiting.

Here right now; DL at end of Oct and back to UO/WDW at end of November for 10 nights. We have been wearing masks both indoors and outdoors; the usual hand sanitizer all the time etc. We also pack our own cleaning products to give the rooms a once over and bring our own pillow cases & protective covers. And I completely agree that the testing is a PITA; I’ve done it numerous times this year — just something else to plan around. We brot our own Rapid Response testing kits this trip — test #1 already in the books; test 2 coming up tmrw. I will say Disney is moving back to their crowded seating again; I’m sitting in Beaches & Cream and I’m sure it’s back to 100% capacity (at least I’m alone so I’m up against the wall away from everyone). My fav place is the German Restaurant in Epcot but I told DH that I’m not ready yet to go back to full buffet…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter