Considering a Christmas trip to WDW: anyone else?

Pre-pandemic we normally fly out of DTW, but for our dates the times were less than ideal, and so we went with Southwest out of Buffalo. It’s the same distance for us (2.5 hrs) just going the other way. I haven’t had it all sink in yet I don’t think… so if I’m correct, we won’t have to do a test to cross the land border to the US or do a test to board a flight there as it’s domestic?
Just have to figure out the return test.
As of right now, that’s correct-no test to drive over the border, being fully vaxxed.

We bought Christmas party tickets a couple of days ago too, so I guess we’re going. :banana: No flights yet - hoping they might drop a little from where they are now, but who am I kidding, travel during the holiday season (December 18-23) is always going to be expensive.

@podgirl I thinking worst case is if we test positive then we need to quarantine in Florida but you’re saying you’d fly back drive across the border and quarantine at home? I hadn’t thought of it that way. We’d be flying from DTW, too.
What I’m thinking is we’d do the test the day before we leave, fly back, and then the results would hopefully come in before we drive over the border. We can even stay overnight in Port Huron while waiting for the results, no problem. That would give us time to do some shopping at Meijer! I will likely have a list of things to pick up for friends and co-workers.
By the way, I got return airfare for 4 people for $800 USD. It’s with Spirit, but we’ve flown a few times with them and it’s fine for such a short flight.

What I’m thinking is we’d do the test the day before we leave, fly back, and then the results would hopefully come in before we drive over the border. We can even stay overnight in Port Huron while waiting for the results, no problem. That would give us time to do some shopping at Meijer! I will likely have a list of things to pick up for friends and co-workers.
By the way, I got return airfare for 4 people for $800 USD. It’s with Spirit, but we’ve flown a few times with them and it’s fine for such a short flight.
Our flights with Southwest were $640 USD for 3, also over Christmas break and I believe they include bags. Spirit was similar but for our dates their times were worse (we wanted to arrive really early day 1 and leave late on last day). We have never flown with Southwest but have flown with Spirit multiple times, yes it’s bare bones but really non issue for a 2 hr flight. Totally agree. I have not figured out when to book our return test for yet. I have to ask my DH if he wants to stay the night in Buffalo as well as our flight gets in at like 11:10 pm…we normally head straight home but hmm…

We are booked Dec 19-26 at POFQ as well!
We wanted to stay a bit longer but DS 12 has a hockey tournament starting on Dec 28th. Plus we have a cruise mid January (moved from summer 2020…)
We are now pretty much confirmed for Disney World as we bought the Dec 21 Christmas party tickets and our flights with Southwest.
Haven’t booked the tests yet.
You don’t have to make park reservations for MK for the party date, right? Caved & bought our 5 tix (gulp $$$$$) for Dec 19 (Dec 21 was our backup date).

We only have 3 day tix for 4/5 of us and had no park reservations for Dec 19th, but it won’t allow me to make reservations for the 19th without canceling another day, so I assume PR aren’t required 🧐

You don’t have to make park reservations for MK for the party date, right? Caved & bought our 5 tix (gulp $$$$$) for Dec 19 (Dec 21 was our backup date).

We only have 3 day tix for 4/5 of us and had no park reservations for Dec 19th, but it won’t allow me to make reservations for the 19th without canceling another day, so I assume PR aren’t required 🧐
Yes, that’s correct, you don’t have to make a park reservation for the MK on your party day. (Unless of course you want to be there all day). With your party ticket you can enter at 7, so that’s what we plan on doing. Head to the monorail resorts in the early afternoon to tour and for dinner around 5, and arrive at the MK by 7.
We ended up doing 3 park days (right now I’m thinking no hopper) and then the party, which will be our MK day. Even though the party ticket price is obscene, it only costs us $150 more to do the party and drop our park tickets to 3 days, then to do the 4 day park hopper with no party. We go to Disney regularly but first time for the holidays and so our big focus will be soaking up the atmosphere, touring resorts, Disney Springs etc. I really wanted to see the Christmas parade at MK and experience the park with (hopefully) less crowds, so we also bit the bullet and bought the tickets.
Hope it was the right decision!

Yes, that’s correct, you don’t have to make a park reservation for the MK on your party day. You can enter at 7, so that’s what we plan on doing. Head to the monorail resorts in the early afternoon to tour and for dinner around 5, and arrive at the MK by 7.
We ended up doing 3 park days (right now I’m thinking no hopper) and then the party, which will be our MK day. Even though the party ticket price is obscene, it only costs us $150 more to do the party and drop our park tickets to 3 days, then to do the 4 day park hopper with no party. We go to Disney regularly but first time for the holidays and so our big focus will be soaking up the atmosphere, touring resorts, Disney Springs etc. I really wanted to see the Christmas parade at MK and experience the park with (hopefully) less crowds, so we also bit the bullet and bought the tickets.
Hope it was the right decision!
Thx! Yes, that's how we worked it as well. 3 day base tix (HS, AK, MK -no EP this trip as we usually spend a lot of time hopping there when at BCV) with G+, plus party ticket for a 2nd MK day - it helps that DH is only doing the party but still $$$$.

Thx! Yes, that's how we worked it as well. 3 day base tix (HS, AK, MK -no EP this trip as we usually spend a lot of time hopping there when at BCV) with G+, plus party ticket for a 2nd MK day - it helps that DH is only doing the party but still $$$$.
I edited my post above, if you wanted to be at the MK all day, as in before 7 pm, then you’d have to make the MK reservation, but I assume that was clear 😂 just corrected myself just in case.
I don’t know what to do for our other 3 park days. 1 each, HS, AK & EP or EP twice and drop AK or HS. Epcot is my favourite and we have the candlelight processional dining package on the 22nd, but part of me wants to go back there on the 24th.
When we were in Disneyland Cali in August I really missed Epcot. I feel like it would be fantastic on Christmas Eve.
However, the other part of me just wants to try some of the holiday offerings at all the parks. AK or HS Christmas Eve? Lol
I need to decide and soon.
Also thinking of doing the lighting lane, at least at HS.

I edited my post above, if you wanted to be at the MK all day, as in before 7 pm, then you’d have to make the MK reservation, but I assume that was clear 😂 just corrected myself just in case.
I don’t know what to do for our other 3 park days. 1 each, HS, AK & EP or EP twice and drop AK or HS. Epcot is my favourite and we have the candlelight processional dining package on the 22nd, but part of me wants to go back there on the 24th.
When we were in Disneyland Cali in August I really missed Epcot. I feel like it would be fantastic on Christmas Eve.
However, the other part of me just wants to try some of the holiday offerings at all the parks. AK or HS Christmas Eve? Lol
I need to decide and soon.
Also thinking of doing the lighting lane, at least at HS.
No worries, I definitely understood - we were at HS on the 24th in 2017 (I think?) and it was a bit miserable - too packed in and narrow. I think EP would be a great choice for the 24th. I think AK would be a bit miserable as well just given the tight layout.

I'm avoiding EP - we had a BCV 2bd booked for Dec 18-24 (same dates) and canceled to rent out the points because the border situation was too unsure and I had expiring points in that reservation (RIP my perfect BCB XMas trip lol). If we go to EP, I'll end up wandering over to BCV and it'll make me sad and I'm just happy to be going somewhere after 2 years of hermit living :yay:

I am considering a trip over Christmas break. We are thinking of driving with our two children under 12. I understand they will have quarentine when we get back for two and that we will all need a COVID test to get back into Canada. Will the kids need a COVID test to get into the US? Also if we get a COVID test in Orlando before we drive home, will they send us the results electronically so we can cross the border?

For whatever reason, flights to/from Detroit are incredibly expensive on the dates we’re looking at, even on Spirit. We’re currently crunching numbers to fly from Cleveland. It’s an extra couple of hours in the car each way but looks like it might save us $2000.

We still have our 2bdrm at ssr booked Dec 19-27....and a Hilton for the 18th because of the silly 50% borrowing rule we couldn't get the extra night. I am not cancelling.... triple vaxed and I'm going. Flights out of toronto, beeper md booked on the 24th in the evening for that test. Just need figure out tests for the 7 of us here for before the flight.

And my boys were just ordered to self-isolate & miss school for the next week because of a high-risk bus exposure. Fully vaxxed kids should be given rapid testing instead of being forced out of class.

Welp, guess I’ll be pulling my kids out the week before XMas break to decrease the chance they’ll get dinged before our vacation. I *never* pull our kids, but these rules are ridiculous 🙄

I am going since this will more than likely be my last trip. After six years, have been diagnosed with a second inoperable malignant tumor. RoR is on my bucket list and it is now or never. Will use masks and avoid crowds if/when possible, but no longer really concerned about COVID exposure. It is funny how a tragedy can have a silver lining. Won't have to deal with all the political crap over the next 4 Years either!
I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm sure you will have a fabulous trip and make some great memories with your loved ones! ((Hugs)) to you and your family.

And my boys were just ordered to self-isolate & miss school for the next week because of a high-risk bus exposure. Fully vaxxed kids should be given rapid testing instead of being forced out of class.

Welp, guess I’ll be pulling my kids out the week before XMas break to decrease the chance they’ll get dinged before our vacation. I *never* pull our kids, but these rules are ridiculous 🙄

Really? What PHU are you in? My daughter has been exposed 3 times this school year by a classmate - in all cases she has been free to go about her business because she is vaccinated. I didn't realize that's not how it is everywhere.

Really? What PHU are you in? My daughter has been exposed 3 times this school year by a classmate - in all cases she has been free to go about her business because she is vaccinated. I didn't realize that's not how it is everywhere.
I'd rather not say, but each PHU has different critieria - DD and I were sent off to work/school today and my boys are expected to remain in separate rooms of our house masked until next Sat 🤷‍♀️

Just for clarification here, I just double checked with school admin who doubled checked with our PHU - ALL students regardless of vaccine status must isolate. Please everyone, if you're planning a vacation with your vaccinated kids, do not assume isolation requirements for close contact in class or on the bus. Contact your local PHU/school admin and figure out exactly what the requirements will be if your child has an exposure just before your scheduled vacation.

I'd rather not say, but each PHU has different critieria - DD and I were sent off to work/school today and my boys are expected to remain in separate rooms of our house masked until next Sat 🤷‍♀️

Madame
I’m so sorry that’s tough and yeah this makes no sense . Where test to stay even daily would help . I thought differently too.
I think we too will tighten up our activities the 2 weeks before or so. Only DD is in physical school right now but big kid is working for two hockey teams .. and little is playing. But I’d hate to have this happen. I’m scheduled for dose 3 nov 22 and big kid can go Dec 10 so that’s good at least.

Madame
I’m so sorry that’s tough and yeah this makes no sense . Where test to stay even daily would help . I thought differently too.
I think we too will tighten up our activities the 2 weeks before or so. Only DD is in physical school right now but big kid is working for two hockey teams .. and little is playing. But I’d hate to have this happen. I’m scheduled for dose 3 nov 22 and big kid can go Dec 10 so that’s good at least.
Definitely frustrating - vaccinated kids should be given the opportunity to test and return to school, but even if we get them tested the PHU will still not allow them to return (mindbogglingly ridiculous). We'll pull the two 12 year olds the entire week before. My grade 9 wants to go to school - but she knows we'll leave her behind if she's required to isolate that week 🤷‍♀️ Teachers are *never* considered close contacts in our PHU, so I figure I'm safe LOL.

Last edited:
I thought I'd come back and update: we are definitely going now, with flights and tickets purchased. A coworker of mine made a 10-day trip for race weekend earlier in the month - I just checked in with them and found out both their (too young to be vaccinated) kids came home with covid. :sad2: None of the (vaccinated) adults in their party got sick, and thankfully the kids' cases were mild. I'm a bit disconcerted to hear that, but we are far enough down the path now that we are still planning to proceed. I'm just not feeling quite as good about it anymore.

I thought I'd come back and update: we are definitely going now, with flights and tickets purchased. A coworker of mine made a 10-day trip for race weekend earlier in the month - I just checked in with them and found out both their (too young to be vaccinated) kids came home with covid. :sad2: None of the (vaccinated) adults in their party got sick, and thankfully the kids' cases were mild. I'm a bit disconcerted to hear that, but we are far enough down the path now that we are still planning to proceed. I'm just not feeling quite as good about it anymore.

Make sure you do things like eat all your meals outdoors, wear a mask indoors whenever you can and when distancing is tight! You really have no idea what situations that other family put themselves into.

Take a look at the cases and positivity rate down there and compare it to where you live. It probably isn't much different right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter