Considering a Christmas trip to WDW: anyone else?

We have a Nov 3-14 trip (3-7 booked at Pop and 7-14 booked at timeshare in Cape Canaveral). We still haven’t booked airfare as we keep just watching the number of cases plus I fear we may end up on the wrong side of whatever changes US says they are going to implement in early November as we are both mixed Vax with AZ + MRNA. We may end up cancelling the Disney portion or just making it a resort only vacation and avoid the parks as it may just be too early for heavy crowds for our liking. And if we don’t use the timeshare, we lose it. This re-entry into normality is strangely unnerving. I trust that my vaccines will work to lessen any symptoms if I get breakthrough case, but if we test positive before we return it will be a major pain to have to pay for all those extra days in Florida until we test negative to come home. And god forbid if we ever had to use the health care system while there. So I’m majorly on the fence. I’d really like to go but the slight possibility of testing positive has me on edge (although the US changes might take the decision out of my hands. I hope they declare their new rules soon)

For those on the fence or against going right now - what would have to change in order to make you comfortable?

For those who are going - how do you feel about navigating the testing requirements? And if you haven’t already shared, are there any special precautions you plan to take?
We are going for Christmas (or may move it to the week before Christmas break) and if nothing changes, we’ll probably do the same thing as we did when we traveled to Disneyland California in August. We did the rapid antigen test for our flight to the US - $40pp
In California, they have different options for testing than Florida, but based on what I read here, we’d either use Beeper Md or Walgreens. There is a whole thread here on the testing in both FL and CA.
When we went to California, we wore masks indoors (it was a requirement anyway) and we put them on outside if in a really crowded area. Otherwise just sanitized our hands after getting off every attraction etc.

Last edited:
We are looking at Universal Orlando and returning on January 2nd. My worry though is the New Years holiday, and how difficult will it be to get our tests processed to fly back on January 2nd. Don't know if labs will be processing results on News Years Day, and what if they close early on December 31st. Wondering the volume of tests they will have since that is peak season, and I can imagine a lot of people flying home that weekend will need tests. Before we pull the trigger, we need to find a place to test and see if they can turn around the tests in time during a holiday weekend.

We currently have mid December booked. I’m still on the fence but am thinking that we won’t be going. I know Florida’s cases have gotten significantly better but I’m still very hesitant.

We also had 2 Canadian resident tickets from 2020 so those expired last week (I guess they go into some sort of “bank”? to use towards new tickets?). I don’t really want to invest any more money into Disney unless we’re for sure going.

Supposed to be going over the Xmas Holidays until after New Years. With the new massive increase in AP cost even being DVC along with everything else we're waiting to see how things shake out in early November.

If we don't go I fully expect that we'll just wind up selling.

For those on the fence or against going right now - what would have to change in order to make you comfortable?

For those who are going - how do you feel about navigating the testing requirements? And if you haven’t already shared, are there any special precautions you plan to take?

I don't have a trip booked, but what would have to change for me is the testing requirement and the ability to vax kids (mine are under 12). I'm ok with crowds to a certain extent, but I absolutely would dread having to quarantine there if we tested positive, or if one of us tested positive, etc etc. Too much uncertainty for me right now to be able to enjoy my time there.

We have flights booked with our Southwest points (from our cancelled 2020 trip) leaving Christmas Day, returning Jan 3th. I don't anticipate keeping it. Our daughter has mixed vaccines. Haven't booked anything else and by the time we'll know if it's ok for her to go, it will be too late to get anything decent.

I think if we did end up last minute going we would do Universal or Seaworld as the crowds would be crazy at Disney I think. If we could even book a park. In my head I'm planning a really great trip next Christmas because I really don't see this going ahead.

We are still hoping to go mid December, but still deciding. One roadblock is my AZ Pfizer mix

It's been interesting watching the news coming out this week with the introduction of Genie+ and Lightning Lane. From a Covid perspective, purchasing Genie+ and LL gives me a bit more peace of mind in that we won't have to line up for significant lengths of time next to strangers. I don't mind contact with people as long as it's brief.

With cases continuing to drop in Florida and announcements about the border between Canada and the US reopening, we are still considering making this trip. We have about a month before we need to make a decision.

We decided to go - Nov 4 - 14. 3 days at POP and then 7 days at timeshare. Cases are significantly down and I checked my health insurance coverage at work so I'm comfortable to go. We intend to only do one day in Epcot wandering around and then at timeshare we can cook in our room for meals and spend most of our time outdoors. I've found a Walgreens near condo for our return testing. Still a little anxious, but once I'm there I'm sure relaxation will kick in!

@Jo-Anne I think you are fortunate to be traveling soon with the recent dip in cases. My fear is that 60 days from now when we're slated to go, we could be into another wave. You've timed it well!

@Jo-Anne I think you are fortunate to be traveling soon with the recent dip in cases. My fear is that 60 days from now when we're slated to go, we could be into another wave. You've timed it well!
I am hopeful that there will not be another significant wave. Kids are starting to get vaccinated and after that, everyone who wants a vaccination will have had one and there will be the start of boosters - not much more we can do after that point. My mindset has now changed to how to live with this safely. I will send good vibes your way for a safe trip in December

Going Dec 14-27. Dec 14-24 at Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa(3 BDRM), then Dec 24-27 at A of A(free three night stay from Disney). All 6 of are fully vaxxed. Sure the tests are a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world. Now with $16.99 tests from Costco and free tests at Walgreens or Beepermed the cost is minimal. Only concern one other person brought up which is, are tests at Christmas going to be a problem????

We had a trip booked to WDW for Christmas 2020 that we deferred to this year. Up until recently, I’ve been thinking there’s no way we would make the trip. But now, with covid cases in Florida doing much better, I’m starting to think it might be possible. Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation?

Yes I'd very much like to plan a trip for any time soon! I just can't seem to figure out the whole PCR test to return to Canada thing. (Which btw should be dropped as long as youre fully vaccinated. I could fly to Ireland, UK or even France right now with NO testing requirement as long as I am fully vaccinated!) I don't rent a car so I don't know how I'd get to anywhere for a test.

Sorry I'm just so frustrated.

Yes I'd very much like to plan a trip for any time soon! I just can't seem to figure out the whole PCR test to return to Canada thing. (Which btw should be dropped as long as youre fully vaccinated. I could fly to Ireland, UK or even France right now with NO testing requirement as long as I am fully vaccinated!) I don't rent a car so I don't know how I'd get to anywhere for a test.

Sorry I'm just so frustrated.

If you are going to WDW, BeeperMD, they come to you, so no car needed. Plus it's free, results in 36-ish hours. That's what I am using next week.

We’ve booked BeeperMD for our trip, too. Just arranged it a couple of days ago to ensure we don’t get shut out during a busy time of year. Seems like a very convenient option, and you can’t get cheaper than free.

we are still undecided on our December trip but the Canadian travel advisory being lifted is great news!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-travel-international-covid-advisory-1.6220428

Totally agree with this! - it takes away some of the stigma of considering a trip for pleasure during these times.

We’ve booked BeeperMD for our trip, too. Just arranged it a couple of days ago to ensure we don’t get shut out during a busy time of year. Seems like a very convenient option, and you can’t get cheaper than free.

Totally agree with this! - it takes away some of the stigma of considering a trip for pleasure during these times.

And means insurance options are possible. For those who were worried about possibly having to isolate for two weeks, I think there may be options available now for that possibility

We also officially booked Portofino Bay at Universal for a few days starting Boxing Day, and then a few days on the Gulf coast. Want to take a big leap into the ocean on New Year's Day! Hoping that PCR tests for fully vaccinated will be gone by then to return :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter